2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford to discontinue V8

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/15, 12:03 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
I knew about the Rambo but I couldn't remember the third one being the Bruce Jenner.

By the way of all the fox body Mustangs the LX 5.0 is my favorite. A well sorted out 5.0 LX with some nice wheels is just a great looking Mustang.
The 5.0 LX models were also the lightest in the Fox bodies without all the ground effect packages the GT had
Old 1/29/15, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38
That was my first Mustang love. My dad special ordered this car and sold it after 6 months because my mom was afraid to drive it. Just makes me because I remember him saying he'd keep that car forever and pass it down to me one day...
That really sucks that your Dad had to sell it, especially after special ordering it.. It's too bad he couldn't had kept the LX and then got something else for your Mom to drive that she felt more comfortable with
Old 1/29/15, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
When I was 17 that exact car in that exact color was all I wanted in life. Other than some p***y.
At 17 ! That's pretty much what we all really ever wanted in life lol.
Old 1/29/15, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
My notch was the same color and same wheels. The only mustang I've owned that I miss.
You really don't see too many notchbacks in the Fox bodies anymore either
Old 1/29/15, 12:35 AM

Too bad I have my heart set on a different vehicle, I'm really wanting another Fox.
You'll find one Al.. So just hang in there
Old 1/29/15, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38
All agreed. I think I still harbored some resentment towards my dad for selling it up until the day I bought my 2014 lol. Not only that, my dad went with me to buy the 2014 and they had a SGM car optioned exactly how I ordered mine, and part of me really wanted to get it instead of my silver, but I had my whole P-51 theme planned, so I went with what I ordered.
I'm sure your Dad felt just as terrible in having to sell it after he factory ordered the car and then only had it for 6 months Patrick and even though he was looking out for your Mom's best interests, it's really difficult for us as kids to comprehend and realize until becoming adults
Old 1/29/15, 01:00 AM

I agree with 2K. That's a great looking LX. I would love to find one of those on the cheap and restore it. I would even keep the original Mustang wheels.
It's really too bad that Ford doesn't make the Mustang in a notchback coupe anymore, as they're also a timeless classic in their own right along with the fastback and convertible models
Old 1/29/15, 11:22 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always liked the Fox body Mustangs as well. It was the car that was the big deal when I was just a kid in high school. Every guy wanted either a Mustang GT or a Camaro Z28. I still distinctly remember seeing the attached advertisement in various car magazines.

See what you just said there?

Why did everyone in high school want a Mustang GT (V8) or Camaro Z28 (V8)?

Why didn't they want a 4cyl or V6 car?

Because the V8 cars are the promo tools to get your attention and buy any of their cars.

The Mustang GT is the loud guy at a party surrounded by admirers. The other guys in the corner notice this and desire this as well.

So those consumers go down to the Ford store and look at what their options are to make them feel good. They want to be noticed at the party!

Economics comes into play at this point and individuals weigh the costs and benefits. If the individual is content with what they see in the V6 4cyl etc..., they will choose that. If they have the funds and like a GT500, Cobra etc.., they will choose that.

The Mustang V8 may be what is called a loss leader. They can loose or sell at cost to get you into a showroom and sell you anything else. If they get you to buy one of their product, their psychological game worked.

Nice Notch your dad had Patrick! I still have my 90 GT from just out of high school (My 91 LX 5.0 hatch in high school was totaled). I always loved the notchback LX's so I also have 2 of those now as well (92 Bimini Blue 5.0 and a 88 LX Notch 5.0).

With the prices climbing on the Foxes, I may sell the 88 Notch. All of mine are no rust no winters stored inside cars, so they are not rust bucket foxes and should fetch good coin!

Last edited by Turbo302; 1/29/15 at 11:27 AM.
Old 1/29/15, 11:49 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo302

Old 1/29/15, 01:31 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I love using the Fox as an example.

In 1993 the GT costed about $14k. Min wage was $4.25. Guy just out of high school with a decent job could swing about a $250/month car note. He's making about $1200/month.

In 2005 the GT costed about $25k. Min wage was $5.15. Guy out of high school with a decent job is now looking at $450/month car note. Cost of living has gone way up by now but wages haven't.
The V6 base was about $19k. $350/mo.

So now in 2015 the GT is $35k and min wage is $7.25. Now a 20yr old guy needs 3 decent jobs to swing $650/month. I don't know any 20yr olds that can comfortably swing this payment. Base model is about $23k, $400/mo.

Typed all that to say this: There's no doubt why the base models have outsold the GT for many years now. Now the 20yr olds have to wait another 10 years to get that new GT. It becomes only a dream but just maybe he can settle for that V6 and afford it. Lol. The only great thing is the used market is great for the mustang. Prices are decent and the cars are still worth buying. Too bad in another 10 years, the same used GTs will still be bought and sold since so few GTs are being bought new now. It's just not the cool affordable car it used to be.
Old 1/29/15, 01:59 PM
Post *****

I love using the Fox as an example.

In 1993 the GT costed about $14k. Min wage was $4.25. Guy just out of high school with a decent job could swing about a $250/month car note. He's making about $1200/month.

In 2005 the GT costed about $25k. Min wage was $5.15. Guy out of high school with a decent job is now looking at $450/month car note. Cost of living has gone way up by now but wages haven't.
The V6 base was about $19k. $350/mo.

So now in 2015 the GT is $35k and min wage is $7.25. Now a 20yr old guy needs 3 decent jobs to swing $650/month. I don't know any 20yr olds that can comfortably swing this payment. Base model is about $23k, $400/mo.

Typed all that to say this: There's no doubt why the base models have outsold the GT for many years now. Now the 20yr olds have to wait another 10 years to get that new GT. It becomes only a dream but just maybe he can settle for that V6 and afford it. Lol. The only great thing is the used market is great for the mustang. Prices are decent and the cars are still worth buying. Too bad in another 10 years, the same used GTs will still be bought and sold since so few GTs are being bought new now. It's just not the cool affordable car it used to be.
Not sure what min wage has to do with the example because the guy in 93 couldn't afford a GT if he was only making min wage. (And here it's presently $9.25, $19240/yr.)

While I understand your point, there are other factors to consider. With all the government crap on cars now "to save ourselves", plus the techno crap some "have to have" in their cars (formerly known as "hotrods"); 93, 05, 15 is an apples to oranges discussion.

And yes, the cost of a GT is much higher, but so are competitive wages, and so are the number of younger people with Degrees fetching higher incomes than the mid 90's. (Besides, according to the DC loudmouths, all "middle Americans" are making $50-250k, right? rofl)

Also, I don't remember 0% loans in the 90's unless maybe an occasional factory incentive. Even the mid 2k's you didn't see CU's everywhere offering 2-3% loans/refi's like today.

So the real challenge for young people starting out today who want a GT? Well they won't sacrifice their Apple $hit & monthly "staring at my device" charges, huge flat screen tv's, or $75-100/mo cable, which the '93 kid didn't deal with. Therefore to afford a GT now and keep all that crap that they "have to have", they'll have to stay in Mom's spare bedroom.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/29/15 at 02:05 PM.
Old 1/29/15, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Because the V8 cars are the promo tools to get your attention and buy any of their cars.
lol Or just maybe it could have been because back in the 1980's the only version of the Mustang and Camaro that offered any real fun factor was the V8 versions. All two hundred and twenty something horsepower of them? lol In addition, back at that time your average young person with even a half decent job could afford a GT / Z28 as opposed to today when that is not the case. Fortunately the V6 version of today's Mustang and Camaro offer good performance at a decent price.

The Mustang GT is the loud guy at a party surrounded by admirers. The other guys in the corner notice this and desire this as well.

Oh you mean the loud obnoxious jerk that nobody liked. Yea we all remember him lol.
Old 1/29/15, 02:15 PM
Post *****

Oh you mean the guy that got all the babes. Yea we all remember him lol.
Fixed.
Old 1/29/15, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Not sure what min wage has to do with the example because the guy in 93 couldn't afford a GT if he was only making min wage. (And here it's presently $9.25, $19240/yr.) While I understand your point, there are other factors to consider. With all the government crap on cars now "to save ourselves", plus the techno crap some "have to have" in their cars (formerly known as "hotrods"); 93, 05, 15 is an apples to oranges discussion. And yes, the cost of a GT is much higher, but so are competitive wages, and so are the number of younger people with Degrees fetching higher incomes than the mid 90's. (Besides, according to the DC loudmouths, all "middle Americans" are making $50-250k, right? rofl) Also, I don't remember 0% loans in the 90's unless maybe an occasional factory incentive. Even the mid 2k's you didn't see CU's everywhere offering 2-3% refi's. So the real challenge for young people starting out today who want a GT? Well they won't sacrifice their Apple $hit & monthly "staring at my device" charges, huge flat screen tv's, or $75-100/mo cable. Therefore to afford a GT they'll have to stay in Mom's spare bedroom.
Min wage was just an example. But realistically in 93 a 20yr old could swing that GT payment if he had a $7/hr job. In addition, that's the people that were buying GTs and who wanted them. The same age kids who want them now better wait till after secondary education and start making some real money. The demographic has changed of people who can buy these cars and by the time they can, do they even still want that GT. The brand new affordable hot rods of the past are just the good old days now. Beginning to the end of readily available cool fast cars I'm thinking.
Old 1/29/15, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

So the real challenge for young people starting out today who want a GT? Well they won't sacrifice their Apple $hit & monthly "staring at my device" charges, huge flat screen tv's, or $75-100/mo cable, which the '93 kid didn't deal with. Therefore to afford a GT now and keep all that crap that they "have to have", they'll have to stay in Mom's spare bedroom.

The reality is that the cost of living has gone up considerably in the last 20 years and middle class incomes have not kept pace with inflation. it's not just cable bills and cell phones. Rent and mortgages cost a lot more. Food costs a lot more. Gas costs a lot more. Everything costs a lot more to include cars and the dollar just doesn't have the same buying power that it did when Fox Body Mustangs were new.
Old 1/29/15, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Fixed.
lol Maybe where you live, but not where the women have IQ's above room temperature.

Oh wait, I forgot, you're basing that on them skirts you chased around back in the early 1970's when you were in high school. Yea, times have changed cdy. lol

Last edited by 3point7; 1/29/15 at 02:23 PM.
Old 1/29/15, 02:21 PM

lol Maybe where you live, but not where the women have IQ's above room temperature.
Yeah but those don't put out.
Old 1/29/15, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah but those don't put out.
Oh my brother, yes they do
Old 1/29/15, 02:35 PM

Oh my brother, yes they do