2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford to discontinue V8

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/15, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I have one thing to say - you can BET that Ford is watching this thread. I'd say their rebuttal to the HP Kings article coming out one day later, may have been a direct response to this thread, but I'm still not convinced that the V8, in its current form, is here to stay. Maybe for the life of the S550, but after that, I would bet it's still up in the air. Maybe even for the S550 refresh...
Old 1/16/15, 12:13 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MuddyLX
I absolutely would have gone with the V6TT. Better performance and better mileage. Win Win. Yes a V8 sound awesome, but so does a powerful V6.
Maybe what Ford should do is offer both engines for 1 year and see what sells the most.

Since the new Raptor is going to have more power than the former V8, which made 411 HP.
Old 1/16/15, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Whether this is true or not, no clue. All I can say for sure is that the V8 is a visceral experience. No other motor has that same unique sound of a V8. Not a V10, not a V12, not a V6. Not a 4 banger. Nada. I don't care how many turbo chargers and superchargers you shove under the hood. The sound of a V8 can be recognized by car enthusiasts around the world. It speaks to us in ways no other motor does.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 1/16/15 at 12:19 PM.
Old 1/16/15, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Critical Mass
Whether this is true or not, no clue. All I can say for sure is that the V8 is a visceral experience. No other motor has that same unique sound of a V8. Not a V10, not a V12, not a V6. Not a 4 banger. Nada. I don't care how many turbo chargers and superchargers you shove under the hood. The sound of a V8 can be recognized by car enthusiasts around the world. It speaks to us in ways no other motor does.
I agree with you 100%!

That being said, I don't think the EPA cares...
Old 1/16/15, 12:54 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38

I'd take the current V8 in a GT. It's already too fast for the street. I don't need any more power from the factory. Also, said theoretical 450hp V6 would get no better mpg and most likely have the same amount of emissions as today's V8...
There's nothing like the sound of a V8. Both of my parents' cars have the ecoboost V6. Not mustangs, but they're plenty quick. However, they just don't sound anywhere near as good as my GT. Nothing can compare to the rawness and rumble of a V8. Faster or not.
Old 1/16/15, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
There's nothing like the sound of a V8. Both of my parents' cars have the ecoboost V6. Not mustangs, but they're plenty quick. However, they just don't sound anywhere near as good as my GT. Nothing can compare to the rawness and rumble of a V8. Faster or not.
+1 on this. There is only one V6 which I think sounds really good. The Nissan GTR. Other than that the sounds of a V8 is to die for.
Old 1/16/15, 04:25 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
+1 on this. There is only one V6 which I think sounds really good. The Nissan GTR. Other than that the sounds of a V8 is to die for.
Infinity has a fantastic sounding V6 also. They spent a lot of money getting that thing to sound that good.
Old 1/16/15, 04:33 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Infinity has a fantastic sounding V6 also. They spent a lot of money getting that thing to sound that good.

You mean Nissan spent the money
Old 1/16/15, 04:46 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
You mean Nissan spent the money
Yeah but the 350z didn't sound as good as the G35 coupe.
Old 1/16/15, 04:48 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Yeah but the 350z didn't sound as good as the G35 coupe.

I agree

I was just being an assholio
Old 1/16/15, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
I think its important for people to understand that you cannot get a v8, rwd, coupe, for the 30-40k range unless its american. Do you know of any car which costs that much, is currently being produced, and has those characteristics? I dont... maybe im not thinking hard enough. Regardless though, Ford will be one less to make such a thing leaving only GM and Chrysler. And i really dont want to have go down that road.

I feel there should at least be a single v8 option, even if it falls under the highest category... hell make it on SVT Ford vehicles only if you have to, but at least leave us that option to have one.

V8s can be made efficient, its not even an issue, the coyote itself is a modern marvel with regard to fuel efficiency for an engine of its size and output.

One of my biggest heartbreaks was not being able to buy the c63 AMG coupe with the 6.3 V8. They no longer produce that engine, it is now extinct. Nevertheless they still kept the v8 in the AMG's but the displacement is smaller and they feature forced induction.

Just the whole no more v8 what so ever thing bothers me. Its not that im being close minded, i understand the performance, the capabilities and advantages of non v8 configurations, you would have to be stupid not to. Some of us are more into cars than others and are more specific with our tastes and preferences. Me personally, i enjoy a naturally aspirated v8. At the end of the day i feel we should have that option and be able to choose. Not everyone is the same with regards to preferences or finances. Its always good to have a choice... like they offer right now... mustang ecoboost, v6, v8 etc.
I totally agree with your point of view on that. If there is one thing that Ford and Chevy and Chrysler have done and done really well its being able to bring affordable sports coupes to the masses. If you go to Europe or Japan, a sports coupe will cost you far more than what you pay for one here and in general deliver less overall performance apples to apples. For instance, the snobby little eurotrash crowd loves to turn their nose up at the Corvette for the most part. But guess what, that Corvette easily hangs with their 911's and Ferrari's and what not and it does so at a fraction of the price in some cases.

By comparison, Toyota has recently given the world it's over hyped and over priced Scion FR-S. A 200 hp torqueless wonder that costs more than an average V6 or Ecoboost Mustang and can't even deliver the same level of performance. A V6 Mustang with its oh so antiquated solid rear axle beat the super duper FR-S on a road course and beat it soundly. And the FR-S in question actually cost more as I recall.

Step up to the GT Mustang price range and what you have is cars like the 350Z that struggle to compete both performance and sales wise with the much maligned Mustang GT that is so hated by the "I'm too sophisticated for that" Car and Driver crowd.

Nobody knows how to deliver bang for the buck in sports coupes like American companies do. The rest of the world gives you big price tags for less car. So I totally agree with XTC on this one. I too would hate to see the V8 go away. This is why Americans have to be careful who they vote for and they have to be vigilant about holding their elected leaders accountable when they start enacting regulations that will lessen the quality of your lives in the pursuit of their utopia that will never exist.

Last edited by 3point7; 1/16/15 at 05:30 PM.
Old 1/16/15, 06:28 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I have one thing to say - you can BET that Ford is watching this thread. I'd say their rebuttal to the HP Kings article coming out one day later, may have been a direct response to this thread, but I'm still not convinced that the V8, in its current form, is here to stay. Maybe for the life of the S550, but after that, I would bet it's still up in the air. Maybe even for the S550 refresh...
If it comes down to Ford killing off the V8 in which I highly doubt ? I feel pretty confident the Mustang community will come together just as it has in the past by submitting petitions to Ford..

It's worked in the past and don't see why it would be any different this time around as Ford does listen to their customers via feedback through surveys, e-mail ect.

IMO it also wouldn't make any sense for Ford killing off the V8 engine in just 2 years from now, after just recently introducing they're all new 5.2L flat plane V8 for the upcoming 2016 Shelby GT350.. It just wouldn't add up at all especially after all the R&D costs it took for development

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/16/15 at 06:34 PM.
Old 1/16/15, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
If it comes down to Ford killing off the V8 in which I highly doubt ? I feel pretty confident the Mustang community will come together just as it has in the past by submitting petitions to Ford..

It's worked in the past and don't see why it would be any different this time around as Ford does listen to their customers via feedback through surveys, e-mail ect.

IMO it also wouldn't make any sense for Ford killing off the V8 engine in just 2 years from now, after just recently introducing they're all new 5.2L flat plane V8 for the upcoming 2016 Shelby GT350.. It just doesn't add up at all after all the R&D costs it took for development
My personal suspicion is not that they would drop the V8 but that the V8 would be relegated to cars like the GT350 that you just mentioned or other Mustang models slotted above the GT. The end result would be an entry level 4 cylinder ecoboost followed by a V6 ecoboost at the GT level, possibly with a V8 optional in the GT and then the V8 standard in cars slotted above the GT. I could see Ford doing that to comply with CAFE *****.
Old 1/16/15, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 3point7
My personal suspicion is not that they would drop the V8 but that the V8 would be relegated to cars like the GT350 that you just mentioned or other Mustang models slotted above the GT. The end result would be an entry level 4 cylinder ecoboost followed by a V6 ecoboost at the GT level, possibly with a V8 optional in the GT and then the V8 standard in cars slotted above the GT. I could see Ford doing that to comply with CAFE *****.
Now that I could go along with and I'd also pay the extra $$$ for the V8 option without a doubt
Old 1/16/15, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Now that I could go along with and I'd also pay the extra $$$ for the V8 option without a doubt

And frankly I'd love to see a twin turbo V6 added to the Mustang lineup. I think it would be an awesome car that delivers great performance.
Old 1/16/15, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts

And frankly I'd love to see a twin turbo V6 added to the Mustang lineup. I think it would be an awesome car that delivers great performance.
There are only 2 things I'd really hold against/worry about with a TTV6 GT Mustang:
1) The sounds. It would be difficult to get used to the lack of rumble in a GT powered by a 6 (unless Ford spends some major money on exhaust) And even then ... I'd miss the visceral sound of a V8.
2) Reliability of a TT V6 setup for track days enthusiasts. I think a NA V8 is far more reliable for people who keep their revs between 4000 and 7000 RPM for 30 minutes at a time 5 times a day for a whole weekend.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/16/15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 1/16/15, 07:23 PM

I honestly don't see why it wouldn't Rob, as it can be added to the line up as an option just as the current ecoboost 4 is now
Old 1/16/15, 08:08 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I definitely agree, especially the roush exhaust on a 5.0. What a driving experience :-)
Old 1/16/15, 08:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just look how outspoken F1 enthusiasts have been against last years V6TT buzz boxes. The lack of a screaming V8 has killed that visceral experience of F1!
Old 1/16/15, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford will not discontinue the V8. YOU WILL.

Ford will make a V6 eco that performs better than the current Coyote. They will give you the option of a top-end V6 eco, or a less performing old-school V8 for slightly less $$.

After a 3-5 years, when everyone is on the V6 eco train, the V8 will be discontinued because the customers didn't want it anymore.

That's my prediction - the most graceful exit they can make from the V8.

Quick Reply: Ford to discontinue V8