2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford to discontinue V8

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/15, 03:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Really? Any other Mustang forum? Like the Mustang forums that are just for V6 owners? You think the maybe the V6 owners are in the minority there? lmao. It's not up to you to declare what a "true" Mustang enthusiast is or isn't all about. Plain and simple. I've owned four Mustangs and I don't want any other car. I'm definitely an enthusiast regardless of whatever narrow minded narcissistic opinion you have about what qualifies. I clearly did not "post against" the V8 (whatever that means) so frankly any "backlash" would just be childish nonsense to me. And finally I would really like to see these multitude of 4 and 6 cylinder import sports coupes that would be a better buy than the 4 or 6 cylinder Mustang. Do please enlighten us.
I'll say this, I do think the new EcoBoost and previous V6 with Performance Package cars, are great cars. Perfect for some people. Just not for me. I owned a V6 Auto Mustang for most of high school and all of college, and all I've ever wanted was a manual transmission V8 Mustang.

To be honest, as far as sound goes, I prefer the sound of the 05-10 4.0 with dual exhaust over the 3.7. It has more of a deeper, angry growl, whereas the 3.7 is higher pitched like a Nissan Vq, but I still think both sound good, just not good enough for me to buy.

You're right though - without base model Mustangs selling, there are no GTs and/or higher.
Old 1/22/15, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Agreed, I do love a LOT of cars. If I wanted a 4-cylinder car though, I'd be getting a Focus RS or Subaru WRX STI. If I wanted a 6-cylinder car, I'd be getting something from Porsche.
The Focus RS is a good car but it's not a sports coupe. It's a 4 door hatchback. Not to say that its a bad looking car but it's not what I would consider a sports coupe. The WRX is just flat ugly in my opinion. I wouldn't drive one if you gave it to me. I'd trade it in on a Mustang lol. And Porsche? Really? You think maybe a Porsche and a V6 Mustang just might not be in the same price range?
Old 1/22/15, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

You're right though - without base model Mustangs selling, there are no GTs and/or higher.
Well not only that but if Ford dropped the V8 and tried to sell just the V6 and ecoboost the same thing would happen. They wouldn't sell enough of them to warrant keeping the car in production. The two cars are dependent on one another to stay in production. This is part of the reason why I personally object to the insult fests between V8 and V6 / ecoboost owners that permeate these forums. None of us would be here without the other. All of us like the same car. It is petulant and childish to insult one another based on what motor is in your Mustang. I'm not calling you out on that laserred. I'm just saying in general.
Old 1/22/15, 03:58 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Really? Any other Mustang forum? Like the Mustang forums that are just for V6 owners? You think the maybe the V6 owners are in the minority there? lmao. It's not up to you to declare what a "true" Mustang enthusiast is or isn't all about. Plain and simple. I've owned four Mustangs and I don't want any other car. I'm definitely an enthusiast regardless of whatever narrow minded narcissistic opinion you have about what qualifies. I clearly did not "post against" the V8 (whatever that means) so frankly any "backlash" would just be childish nonsense to me. And finally I would really like to see these multitude of 4 and 6 cylinder import sports coupes that would be a better buy than the 4 or 6 cylinder Mustang. Do please enlighten us.
I think V6 mustang Forums are a minority compared to the multitude of mustang forums out there. So yeah it's definitely a minority amongst mustang enthusiasts. The powers that be here would really not appreciate anyone downing on the sixers or EB owners so I will leave it at that. Everybody get a trophy. Good job. Lol.

Now as far as 4 or 6 cyl coupes, Nissan has a good option, Subaru, Mitsubishi, used Porshe or BMW, infinity, etc etc. Bottom line is there are better cars or at least equal options.

I am not what I would call a Mustang enthusiast. But I love the American pony cars. Challengers, Mustangs, F-bodies. And none of the 6cyl models. Lol.
I will show you and any other mustang owner here proper respect but don't be upset if I never tell you "nice car man".
Old 1/22/15, 04:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
The Focus RS is a good car but it's not a sports coupe. It's a 4 door hatchback. Not to say that its a bad looking car but it's not what I would consider a sports coupe. The WRX is just flat ugly in my opinion. I wouldn't drive one if you gave it to me. I'd trade it in on a Mustang lol. And Porsche? Really? You think maybe a Porsche and a V6 Mustang just might not be in the same price range?
Well I didn't say they were equal vehicles, just purely based on how those vehicles make me feel and what they could do for me. I could've afforded a GT500, but I could not justify daily driving one. I can hardly justify daily driving my GT lol! But I couldn't live with hearing a V6 every day. If you heard my car with the Solo Catback and HF cats, you'd throw all sense out the window too.

Btw, when I got my car, I was *this* close from buying a Focus ST, and part of me regrets not doing so. I could've gotten that and a new family car, for the same money I'm paying for my GT. It would've made more sense for the family, but my fiancé and I made the decision together, to get the GT...at the time it was okay, but now that she's working again, it sucks to not have a vehicle I can take offroad on the weekends or throw the dogs in the back
Old 1/22/15, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
The powers that be here would really not appreciate anyone downing on the sixers or EB owners so I will leave it at that.
Which means that you personally would have no problem insulting someone based solely on the fact that they own the 4 or 6 cylinder car but don't because you don't want to incur the response from the staff. lmao. As I said, childish.

Now with respect to a V6 powered sports coupe from Nissan. That would be a 370Z would it not? I don't know if you've gone car shopping lately but guess what, a 370Z costs a lot more money than a V6 Mustang. If a V6 Mustang was designed to deliver the same performance as a 370Z, guess what, it would cost as much as a 370Z.

Subaru? Meh, when they make a car that isn't butt ugly let me know.

Mitsubishi? LMAO! Yea, if I want to drive a car that looks like I'm still in high school. Not only that but Mitsubishi is just about on its last leg in the American market and frankly the product reliability is substandard.

hmmm Used Porsche / BMW or new V6 / Ecoboost Mustang? Yeah, no brainer. New Mustang. Repair costs and maintenance costs on a Porsche / BMW are stupid high as it is, much less buying one that is used.

Last edited by 3point7; 1/22/15 at 07:40 PM.
Old 1/22/15, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I didn't say they were equal vehicles, just purely based on how those vehicles make me feel and what they could do for me. I could've afforded a GT500, but I could not justify daily driving one. I can hardly justify daily driving my GT lol! But I couldn't live with hearing a V6 every day. If you heard my car with the Solo Catback and HF cats, you'd throw all sense out the window too.

Btw, when I got my car, I was *this* close from buying a Focus ST, and part of me regrets not doing so. I could've gotten that and a new family car, for the same money I'm paying for my GT. It would've made more sense for the family, but my fiancé and I made the decision together, to get the GT...at the time it was okay, but now that she's working again, it sucks to not have a vehicle I can take offroad on the weekends or throw the dogs in the back
Actually the last time I checked the Focus ST easily delivers the same performance level as the V6 Mustang and has a higher top speed if such things are important to you. It's not a bad car at all. I just wouldn't opt for it because it's a four door but that is not the car's fault, it's just my personal preference. I know some ST owners who really like that car and wouldn't have anything else.
Old 1/22/15, 04:24 PM

Which means that you personally would have no problem insulting someone based solely on the fact that they own the 4 or 6 cylinder car but don't because you don't want to incur the response from the staff. lmao. As I said, childish. Now with respect to a V6 powered sports coupe from Nissan. That would be a 370Z would it not? I don't know if you've gone car shopping lately but guess what, a 370Z costs a lot more money than a V6 Mustang. If a V6 Mustang was designed to deliver the same performance as a 370Z, guess what, it would cost as much as a 370Z. Subaru? Meh, when they make a car that isn't butt ugly let me know. Mitsubishi? LMAO! Yea, if I want to drive a car that looks like I'm still in high school. Not only that but Mitsubishi is just about on its last leg in the American market and frankly the product reliability is substandard. hmmm Used Porsche / BMW or new V6 / Ecoboost Mustang? Yeah, no brainer. New Mustang. Repair costs on a Porsche / BMW or stupid high as it is, much less buying one that is used.
This is not an economic discussion though. The mustang is just a fun car to me. Maybe not so much to others. I'm agreeing to disagree what a Mustang is supposed to be. Be well.
Old 1/22/15, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
This is not an economic discussion though. The mustang is just a fun car to me. Maybe not so much to others. I'm agreeing to disagree what a Mustang is supposed to be. Be well.
Whoa whoa whoa stop the clock! Who stole Al's keyboard?
Old 1/22/15, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by tom281
Just figured I would give the Mods a break from their fingers on the Ban Al Button.
Old 1/22/15, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

No doubt. I seem to recall the price tag was one of key points of note in his discussion with Jeff about the ecoboost vs the GT.
Old 1/22/15, 05:21 PM

No doubt. I seem to recall the price tag was one of key points of note in his discussion with Jeff about the ecoboost vs the GT.
Different thread. Different DB.
Again, be well. :P
Old 1/22/15, 05:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Just figured I would give the Mods a break from their fingers on the Ban Al Button.
I get it man really I do. And thanks for the break lol...
Old 1/22/15, 05:41 PM

I get it man really I do. And thanks for the break lol...
I know how the conversations go in the mod section. Everybody waiting on me to cross that line. Lol. You can relax. I'm done with this thread for now. eace:
Old 1/22/15, 05:52 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I know how the conversations go in the mod section. Everybody waiting on me to cross that line. Lol. You can relax. I'm done with this thread for now. eace:

Yeah we have nothin better to do than talk about Al all day long

Old 1/22/15, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Yeah we have nothin better to do than talk about Al all day long
I'm sure the discussion has come up though.
Old 1/22/15, 07:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For all the hate for the v6 or EB has anyone ever thought that some mustang owners don't care about performance as much as the styling of the car. I personally wouldn't get anything but a v8, but I would never judge anyone for their car buying decisions. And for some folks they just can justify spending the extra $7,000 for the GT over the EB. It was hard for me but in the end I just love that v8 rumble.
Old 1/22/15, 07:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But I understand how it is when you're really a fan of a particular product. If someone told Jeff they were dropping the 4 cylinder turbo from the lineup he'd be upset too.
Actually, I would have just gone and gotten myself an 85/86 SVO and then gotten the '15 GT instead. I have nothing against the V6, it's just not for me.

I'd wanted a Turbo for awhile, but I am what you'd call a a die-hard Mustang fan. So, when the EB was announced I knew I'd get it, see what it can do. Then I'd have experience and a real opinion, not a antiquated bias. I'll also have fun in the process.

I've been around the V8 track a "few times" including the Mustangs in my signature and a Hemi Magnum. I'd be pretty happy to see a turbo 6 in a Mustang, but I'd still want an option for an 8 to be offered.
Old 1/22/15, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
Actually, I would have just gone and gotten myself an 85/86 SVO and then gotten the '15 GT instead. I have nothing against the V6, it's just not for me.

I'd wanted a Turbo for awhile, but I am what you'd call a a die-hard Mustang fan. So, when the EB was announced I knew I'd get it, see what it can do. Then I'd have experience and a real opinion, not a antiquated bias. I'll also have fun in the process.

I've been around the V8 track a "few times" including the Mustangs in my signature and a Hemi Magnum. I'd be pretty happy to see a turbo 6 in a Mustang, but I'd still want an option for an 8 to be offered.
I want to wish you the best of luck finding an 85 /86 SVO Mustang. lol

Seriously though, I also think they should keep the V8 in the lineup. There is still a large enough customer base for the V8 versions of the car. At the same time I think it would be a great idea to add a twin turbo V6 to the lineup slotted in above the 4 cylinder ecoboost. I have suggested tagging it with a GT badge and apparently for some that is just blasphemy lol. I don't see a problem with having a GT with two different engine options (gosh it's good enough for the entry level version of the car). You can get the TT GT or the V8 GT, what's your pleasure? I think if anything it would only bring more customers into the ranks of Mustang buyers who would otherwise not buy one.

But then of course the down side would be that the Mustang forums would be covered up in TT owners and V8 owners insulting one another over their engine choices. lmao.

Last edited by 3point7; 1/22/15 at 08:05 PM.
Old 1/22/15, 08:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It ain't die hard. It's the only reason most of us buy Mustangs. If the V8 was really done away with, that for me would be the end of the mustang. See there's people who just love the mustang styling or nameplate. People who just want to have a mustang. Then there's people who would never buy a mustang that wasn't a V8. In fact the V8 is the only mustang to us. The only other model that I would consider buying is maybe a 4cyl notchback with full intention of a V8 swap. I've owned 4 Mustangs so far but I've also owned many GM vehicles (all with V8's). Trust me when I say, if Ford really would drop the V8 out the line up, the mustang would die just like the Capri. The Mustang sales numbers would drop by over half guaranteed.
I agree with all your points. Having a Chevy 2500 along with my Stang I am not brand loyal. I love the mustang and definitely prefer it over any other muscle car but if ford were to discontinue the V8 I would have no problem going with a different make to satisfy my craving for a V8 :-) My Stang will stay for quite some time but just saying.

Quick Reply: Ford to discontinue V8