2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford to discontinue V8

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/15, 08:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Well as far as here or on any other mustang site, you are the minority. It's all about the V8. Even our long time regulars here that don't own V8's, really want one and plan on getting one eventually.
]
I am not what I would call a Mustang enthusiast.
I think this right here hits on a lot of the disagreement.

While I respect your opinion, It's not what I've seen over the last 15 years for sure and definitely doesn't reflect the Mustang community at large.

I'm 42 and I grew up around Mustangs. My dad had a 65 Coupe with a 6 and a 65 Fastback with an 8. My uncle had Mustangs. They were everywhere in my life.

I grew up in the 70s and 80's it's absolutely true that it seemed like pretty much a V8 game (with the exception of the SVO, but those went under appreciated until a little later). My brother had a '77 trans am, but all of his friends had Mustangs.

When the V6 got a little face lift somewhere around '99 with the NE design you saw a lot more people willing to build those and see what they could do. There are many people that wanted to take the underdog and make it a contender. I went through GTs and a Mach 1. I didn't think I'd ever NOT have a V8. However, at no time during that period did I ever look down on a V6 (or 4 cylinder in the fox bodies). And no real Mustang Fan/enthusiast did either.

Now, what you've highlighted above is you're much more of a muscle car/classic V8 enthusiast. I get that and would agree, based on that history you should only ever get a V8. If I were you I'd be on a beeline straight to the Hellcat. However, I think it's a mistake to shut out or disparage an entire piece of the enthusiast community at large because of bias. If someone has a nice car, I'll tell them nice car and appreciate it - even if I'd never buy it.

I think sometime over the next 10-12 years we're going to see a lot of different tech we thought we'd never see in a Mustang (Turbo 6, Electric, etc.). It's the future, and not just for the Mustang. *If* a V8 disappears from the lineup, it won't be the end of Mustang, but I also won't be happy to see that happen.

The reality is for the Mustang to survive it has to advance technology and make new fans that are willing to keep buying them. The Mustang survived 50 years because of Mustang enthusiasts, not just V8 enthusiasts. With that said, my *next* Mustang in a few years, after this one goes to my daughter, will be another V8, but likely not a GT.

Last edited by JeffreyDJ; 1/22/15 at 08:19 PM.
Old 1/22/15, 08:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
I want to wish you the best of luck finding an 85 /86 SVO Mustang. lol

Seriously though, I also think they should keep the V8 in the lineup. There is still a large enough customer base for the V8 versions of the car. At the same time I think it would be a great idea to add a twin turbo V6 to the lineup slotted in above the 4 cylinder ecoboost. I have suggested tagging it with a GT badge and apparently for some that is just blasphemy lol. I don't see a problem with having a GT with two different engine options (gosh it's good enough for the entry level version of the car). You can get the TT GT or the V8 GT, what's your pleasure? I think if anything it would only bring more customers into the ranks of Mustang buyers who would otherwise not buy one.

But then of course the down side would be that the Mustang forums would be covered up in TT owners and V8 owners insulting one another over their engine choices. lmao.
I have a friend that has an '86 SVO. I couldn't buy his, I know that for sure

As far as badging, maybe they should resurrect the LX!
Old 1/22/15, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
I think this right here hits on a lot of the disagreement.

While I respect your opinion, It's not what I've seen over the last 15 years for sure and definitely doesn't reflect the Mustang community at large.

I'm 42 and I grew up around Mustangs. My dad had a 65 Coupe with a 6 and a 65 Fastback with an 8. My uncle had Mustangs. They were everywhere in my life.

I grew up in the 70s and 80's it's absolutely true that it seemed like pretty much a V8 game (with the exception of the SVO, but those went under appreciated until a little later). My brother had a '77 trans am, but all of his friends had Mustangs.

When the V6 got a little face lift somewhere around '99 with the NE design you saw a lot more people willing to build those and see what they could do. There are many people that wanted to take the underdog and make it a contender. I went through GTs and a Mach 1. I didn't think I'd ever NOT have a V8. However, at no time during that period did I ever look down on a V6 (or 4 cylinder in the fox bodies). And no real Mustang Fan/enthusiast did either.

Now, what you've highlighted above is you're much more of a muscle car/classic V8 enthusiast. I get that and would agree, based on that history you should only ever get a V8. If I were you I'd be on a beeline straight to the Hellcat. However, I think it's a mistake to shut out or disparage an entire piece of the enthusiast community at large because of bias. If someone has a nice car, I'll tell them nice car and appreciate it - even if I'd never buy it.

I think sometime over the next 10-12 years we're going to see a lot of different tech we thought we'd never see in a Mustang (Turbo 6, Electric, etc.). It's the future, and not just for the Mustang. *If* a V8 disappears from the lineup, it won't be the end of Mustang, but I also won't be happy to see that happen.

The reality is for the Mustang to survive it has to advance technology and make new fans that are willing to keep buying them. The Mustang survived 50 years because of Mustang enthusiasts, not just V8 enthusiasts. With that said, my *next* Mustang in a few years, after this one goes to my daughter, will be another V8, but likely not a GT.
Old 1/22/15, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

As far as badging, maybe they should resurrect the LX!
Or tag it Mustang T6.

The lineup could be

T4 T6 GT GT350 GT500 etc etc.

Last edited by 3point7; 1/22/15 at 08:35 PM.
Old 1/22/15, 09:09 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I think this right here hits on a lot of the disagreement. While I respect your opinion, It's not what I've seen over the last 15 years for sure and definitely doesn't reflect the Mustang community at large. I'm 42 and I grew up around Mustangs. My dad had a 65 Coupe with a 6 and a 65 Fastback with an 8. My uncle had Mustangs. They were everywhere in my life. I grew up in the 70s and 80's it's absolutely true that it seemed like pretty much a V8 game (with the exception of the SVO, but those went under appreciated until a little later). My brother had a '77 trans am, but all of his friends had Mustangs. When the V6 got a little face lift somewhere around '99 with the NE design you saw a lot more people willing to build those and see what they could do. There are many people that wanted to take the underdog and make it a contender. I went through GTs and a Mach 1. I didn't think I'd ever NOT have a V8. However, at no time during that period did I ever look down on a V6 (or 4 cylinder in the fox bodies). And no real Mustang Fan/enthusiast did either. Now, what you've highlighted above is you're much more of a muscle car/classic V8 enthusiast. I get that and would agree, based on that history you should only ever get a V8. If I were you I'd be on a beeline straight to the Hellcat. However, I think it's a mistake to shut out or disparage an entire piece of the enthusiast community at large because of bias. If someone has a nice car, I'll tell them nice car and appreciate it - even if I'd never buy it. I think sometime over the next 10-12 years we're going to see a lot of different tech we thought we'd never see in a Mustang (Turbo 6, Electric, etc.). It's the future, and not just for the Mustang. *If* a V8 disappears from the lineup, it won't be the end of Mustang, but I also won't be happy to see that happen. The reality is for the Mustang to survive it has to advance technology and make new fans that are willing to keep buying them. The Mustang survived 50 years because of Mustang enthusiasts, not just V8 enthusiasts. With that said, my *next* Mustang in a few years, after this one goes to my daughter, will be another V8, but likely not a GT.
Told y'all I was done with this discussion but there YOU go.
For the mustang to survive it doesn't have to advance technology. Geez it's survived for 50 years and only recently jumped on the technology bandwagon. Before a couple years ago, it was a technology dinosaur. But it sold anyways. Because it was a Mustang along with being just a cool fun car. Manufacturers have their own Cold War going on with technology. Some do it first and some do it well years later. Chrysler is usually the first. Lol. Do you really believe the Mustang customer base was just begging for a turbo 4? No, Ford has went all in on the small displacement turbo motors. Not sure the reasoning but somehow I'm sure it saves them more money per unit sold. If it's not about profit, they wouldn't do it. The same goes for the new FGT and Raptor. They are trying their best to convince us the the small turbo motors is better but we all know that both of those vehicles would be better outfitted with a V8 instead. Jump on the bandwagon if you want. I ain't buying it.
Old 1/22/15, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Told y'all I was done with this discussion but there YOU go.
For the mustang to survive it doesn't have to advance technology. Geez it's survived for 50 years and only recently jumped on the technology bandwagon. Before a couple years ago, it was a technology dinosaur. But it sold anyways. Because it was a Mustang along with being just a cool fun car. Manufacturers have their own Cold War going on with technology. Some do it first and some do it well years later. Chrysler is usually the first. Lol. Do you really believe the Mustang customer base was just begging for a turbo 4? No, Ford has went all in on the small displacement turbo motors. Not sure the reasoning but somehow I'm sure it saves them more money per unit sold. If it's not about profit, they wouldn't do it. The same goes for the new FGT and Raptor. They are trying their best to convince us the the small turbo motors is better but we all know that both of those vehicles would be better outfitted with a V8 instead. Jump on the bandwagon if you want. I ain't buying it.
Well another inaccurate assessment on Als part lol.

Aside from the solid rear axle there was nothing about the Mustang that would or should be considered outdated or old technology on the car. The Mustang was one of Fords first cars to offer intermittent wipers back in the 60's. The Mustang adopted cruise control, power windows and power locks right along with the rest of the industry at large when those features became common place. The Mustang was outfitted with fuel injection at the same time that other cars were being switched over to fuel injection during the 1980s. When CD's started to be introduced in cars during the 90's the Mustang got in dash and trunk mounted CD players. When cars started getting switched over to engine control modules, so too did the Mustang. When Ford started offering the SYNC system in its vehicles, they did not leave the Mustang out did they? So this notion that the Mustang is some throw back to a bygone era of automotive technology is simply not accurate and never has been.

The Mustang has remained popular because it offers good bang for the buck, not because its a "dinosaur but a fun dinosaur."

So it is no surprise that Ford has offered the ecoboost motor in the newest Mustang.
Old 1/22/15, 10:04 PM

Well another inaccurate assessment on Als part lol. Aside from the solid rear axle there was nothing about the Mustang that would or should be considered outdated or old technology on the car. The Mustang was one of Fords first cars to offer intermittent wipers back in the 60's. The Mustang adopted cruise control, power windows and power locks right along with the rest of the industry at large when those features became common place. The Mustang was outfitted with fuel injection at the same time that other cars were being switched over to fuel injection during the 1980s. When CD's started to be introduced in cars during the 90's the Mustang got in dash and trunk mounted CD players. When cars started getting switched over to engine control modules, so too did the Mustang. When Ford started offering the SYNC system in its vehicles, they did not leave the Mustang out did they? So this notion that the Mustang is some throw back to a bygone era of automotive technology is simply not accurate and never has been. The Mustang has remained popular because it offers good bang for the buck, not because its a "dinosaur but a fun dinosaur." So it is no surprise that Ford has offered the ecoboost motor in the newest Mustang.
You watch a lot of Top Gear don't you?
I've repaired cars since 1993. Yes Ford is often late to the game. It's not a bad thing since they usually do it the right way. Technology and control systems are always late but usually work correctly. Regardless of any of this, believe what you will, technology never sold Mustangs. Styling and fun is what has kept it selling. If the pushrod motor would have stuck around instead of the ohc motor, do you think it would have made a difference in sales? No but Ford adopted the ohc V8 and made it work great. They weren't the first but did it well. The 05 body came out and suddenly the mustang became a very stable and safer vehicle. The chassis started with the LS. Great platform that was tested on something else. All the manufacturers started with the ECMs and also obd2 around the same time now CAN systems. Not because it was necessary to make the car better but to keep up with the Jone's in the tech war. If you knew the inner workings of these cars along with their competitors you would understand what I'm talking about. If you buy your mustang because the seats heat and your iphone syncs to the radio, you could have bought an Acura. For me you can keep the damm radio because I can't hear it over the exhaust anyways. The seat better hold my *** from sliding out of it. And that Corvette next to me on the highway better think twice about trying to prove something. You can watch the video on YouTube because it will never be you in it. Just saying.
Again. Be well. 3rd time now.
Old 1/22/15, 10:13 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great stuff
Old 1/22/15, 10:29 PM

The moral to the story is like I said before, some of us have different views on what a Mustang should be. GTs, Shelbys, Cobras, Bosses, should remain American hot rods. The Sixers and 4 bangers you buy for your daughter to go off to college in. And old people who say dang that's one purdy little car.
But that's my view of what a mustang is.
Turbo4 may be some other peoples dream of a Mustang but it makes me want to vomit. And none of you guys or even FMC will make me buy into that garbage.
To each their own I guess.
Old 1/22/15, 10:42 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The moral to the story is like I said before, some of us have different views on what a Mustang should be. GTs, Shelbys, Cobras, Bosses, should remain American hot rods. The Sixers and 4 bangers you buy for your daughter to go off to college in. And old people who say dang that's one purdy little car.
But that's my view of what a mustang is.
Turbo4 may be some other peoples dream of a Mustang but it makes me want to vomit. And none of you guys or even FMC will make me buy into that garbage.
To each their own I guess.
And another moral to this and some other threads, is not what you just said, but...
that a number of V6/I4 owners have a chip on their shoulder and get offended by what you (and others who prefer V8's) stated as your (their) point of view.
Old 1/22/15, 10:48 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I sure hope they keep making 4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs.

What else am I gonna buy my daughters for graduation?
Old 1/22/15, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I sure hope they keep making 4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs. What else am I gonna buy my daughters for graduation?
That new Bronco of course.
Old 1/22/15, 10:50 PM
Post *****

I sure hope they keep making 4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs.

What else am I gonna buy my daughters for graduation?
Nice tail pipe.

Old 1/22/15, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
And another moral to this and some other threads, is not what you just said, but...
that a number of V6/I4 owners have a chip on their shoulder and get offended by what you (and others who prefer V8's) stated as your (their) point of view.
As opposed to some people here who have a chip on their shoulder when they run across someone that doesn't subscribe to their outdated 1983 point of view of things. lol
Old 1/22/15, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
I sure hope they keep making 4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs. What else am I gonna buy my daughters for graduation?
Even better 4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs AWD. For us northern folk.
Old 1/22/15, 10:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
As opposed to some people here who have a chip on their shoulder when they run across someone that doesn't subscribe to their outdated 1983 point of view of things. lol
Are you calling us old?
Old 1/22/15, 10:56 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I used to only own V8s but purchased an EB6 last summer. I'd still prefer it was a coyote but it is what it is. Better than a EB4 or plain V6.
Mach 1 Member

And that Corvette next to me on the highway better think twice about trying to prove something. You can watch the video on YouTube because it will never be you in it.
Well nobody could sum up your knuckle dragger personality better than you could lmao. I'm sure all the Corvette guys are shaking in their shoes.

This is going to come as a shock to you but there a lot of people who aren't driving around on public roads with "something to prove". At least that's true for most male drivers above the age of 20 or so. That's how people end up causing serious accidents that result in the injury or death of a lot of innocent drivers. But now I understand the kind of person you are much better thank you.
Post *****

Originally Posted by GrnT
Are you calling us old?
He doesn't like it that my I-6 FORD F150 4X has 254K on it and cain't be kilt!
Old 1/22/15, 11:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
He doesn't like it that my I-6 FORD F150 4X has 254K on it and cain't be kilt!
Not even close. I happen to think the old inline 300 is a great engine. Ford should have kept it around and modernized it. I helped rebuild one once. It took four of us just to lift the engine block out of a truck bed and carry into the garage.

Last edited by 3point7; 1/22/15 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford to discontinue V8