2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford to discontinue V8

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/15, 06:42 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Oh no! I'm sensitive now? lmao The only one with his butt in knot on here is you Al. All upset because I don't subscribe to your Smokey and Bandit, MTV fantasy land view of things lol. When I got home I bought a truck. I guess that don't make the grade does it?
That really hurts man.
Old 1/29/15, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
That really hurts man.
lol Like you got any feelings.
Old 1/29/15, 06:54 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't buy into that fantasy lassered. lol I lived through the years in question and it was nothing like Al describes.
Sorry Rob, while I appreciate your perspective, yours is not the only perspective for the world of car owners or the experiences of forum members.

Did I say world? This is a Mustang forum. I really hope this is not your whole world. But here in this forum, yes it's either or, with a few minority subcategories.
Pretty much.

Originally Posted by laserred38
I really want born in the wrong time. I envy that you guys had those experiences. We had nothing like that in my 17-25 years...
Few years earlier maybe, but this was mid 70's smack dab in the center of the midwest. Gas lines and all...
2 stroke street rocket and a 68 Olds 442/400 here baby! Buddies had a 65 2+2 Fastback 289, another had a 68 Firebird 305, another a 70 Shelby GT500, another a 71 Mach I. One buddy had a Jeep with the... 304 V8. My sister had a 72 LeMans 350, my other sister had a 69 Custom S 350. Dad a Bonneville wagon 455, Mom a Bonneville 389.

And nobody I knew had a pickup (whereas now everybody does lol).

PS: And this was ALL SRA with 4 seasons! Yeah - on SNOW! So everybody knew how to drive an SRA vs today's sissy "oh my gosh I hit a bump" whiners!

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/29/15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 1/29/15, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh no, as soon as one quits the other one shows up. lol
Old 1/29/15, 07:13 PM
Post *****

Oh no, as soon as one quits the other one shows up. lol
Looks like you're a man on an island. lol
Old 1/29/15, 07:15 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 600 Likes on 431 Posts
Oh no! I'm sensitive now? lmao The only one with his butt in a knot on here is you Al. All upset because I don't subscribe to your Smokey and the Bandit, MTV fantasy land view of things lol. When I got home I bought a truck. I guess that don't make the grade does it?
Not unless it was a Syclone.
Old 1/29/15, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Looks like you're a man on an island. lol
Barbarians at the gates. lol
Old 1/29/15, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Not unless it was a Syclone.
Negative, it was a V8 Dakota. Dodge was still using the 318 at that time. All in all a pretty crappy truck. I only kept it a year.
Old 1/29/15, 07:28 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,604 Posts
Oh man, there was a woman that used to go to the gym I was going to and she was from Buffalo. She told me stories about the snow there. When I was a kid we lived in Maryland during the blizzard that hit the northeast in 78. Dumped like five feet of snow in one night. We were digging out for days.
Sounds very familiar, as I'll never forget the blizzard of 77.. I was still 18 at that time in which everything was closed down for days after getting hit with over 6 feet of snow in less than 14 hours.. The roads were so terrible that road crews weren't even able to get out to plow and salt them due to poor visibility conditions from over 40MPH winds along with up to -20 below temps on top of that..

So trust me, that woman was not exaggerating at all about those stories she told you about..

Needless to say, it felt as though you were living in friggin Antarctica lol.
Old 1/29/15, 07:45 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to add.. I met my wife while driving my escape. It wasn't until after we were married that I bought my first mustang GT..

I guess I do things backwards. ha ha
Old 1/29/15, 08:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2K7 and Jeff, calm down, we are just having a bit of fun.
I was working today pretty much non-stop - y'all had free reign.
Old 1/29/15, 08:21 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
I was working today pretty much non-stop - y'all had free reign.
And we didn't even need "moderating". lol
Old 1/29/15, 08:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
It's definitely a trend, for all auto makers, but I'm sure that the big three will keep a few nuggets around. An American V8 holds too much nostalgia... Fed Regs notwithstanding.

I may get flamed for this, but one possibility would be for ONE of the big three to keep building a mod-friendly V8, and sell to the other two to tweak for their muscle cars. It might make lower production numbers due to guzzler taxes financially viable for all.
Old 1/29/15, 08:29 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't really know how we went this far off but it's really not about the chicks. When you're 20, it damm sure better be. I'm willing to bet a lot of guys here met their wives and first date picked them up in their V8 sports car. I first met my wife and mother of my children (yes same gal) in my bright red 89 T-top TA. Yes she loved cruising around in it with me too. People get older and things change. Most of us aren't chasing tail like a 20 year old anymore but that feeling we had way back when we would cruise that obnoxious mustang or Camaro looking for girls and races can still be felt. The sound, the feel, the adrenaline when you mash on the go pedal. Yeah you are instantly that punk kid again. Something that V6 and Ecoboost will just never do for me. Either you're a gear head and love American muscle or you're just some guy that bought a mustang because the specs seemed logical and it's a neat looking little car. Lol

I too like Al grew up around hot rods and gear heads.

When I was about 5 years old, I would play in the woods behind our house, one day I heard this rumbling noise and went to check it out. I had stumbled upon another youngster at their house and his family had a 63 SS Impala there with a built/cammed V8 engine (would have not ventured that way if it was a 4 popper).

I became real good friends with the family who owned a street rod shop. I would get invited to "the shop" to hang out ride dirt bikes etc... My friends dad would let me take home all his old issues of Hot Rod, Car Craft, Etc... That planted a seed as I grew obsessed with reading car mags.

My dad had a 67' Mustang GT 390 that he picked up at Ft Benning GA while in OCS but was never a super hot rodder like these guys and had sold it to finish Law School.

Since my Dad owned Fords, I was all about them even though my friends family were a Chevy crowd. It actually made for an interesting "rivalry" as pre teen kids. I would deck my bike out with hand drawn Ford logos, where my friend would do Chevy. We would fab elaborate "card in spoke" setups to make the loudest roars.

I learned how to weld, fabricate, correctly use wrenches etc..., hanging out at the shop.

That experience made me realize I could really build almost anything with the correct tools, and to this day I go by that rule.

That original sound of the V8 that made me venture that way was something burned into my DNA. It perked my ears and has always been a sound I love.

Nothing like a V8 turning 7500+ RPM! The sound tickles the Soul
Old 1/29/15, 08:44 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Turbo302
When I was about 5 years old, I would play in the woods behind our house, one day I heard this rumbling noise and went to check it out.
hahaha - that reminds me... the guy down the street had just returned from Viet Nam and bought a 68 Road Runner 383/4spd. He said "want a ride"?

"Oh !"

Roars up the street to the highway getting scratch through 3rd. It was !

Although that pushrod had some monster torque, it's pretty cool my lil 281 can beat that 3405# coupe in the 1/4.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner

Engine:
383 V8 335 hp @ 5200 rpm, 425 lb-ft @ 3400 rpm.

Performance:
383/335 hp: 0-60 in 7.1 sec, 1/4 mile in 15.0 sec @ 96mph.

Plymouth went back to the basics when they created the 1968 Road Runner. After deciding that muscle cars had gotten away from their original purpose of being fast affordable thrills, Plymouth paid Warner Brothers $50,000 to affix the ”road runner” cartoon bird onto its new vehicle, which was based on a stripped Belvedere, thus in 1968 the Road Runner was born. The standard engine was none other than MOPAR's tried and true 383 power-plant V8, included the heads, manifolds, camshafts, crankcase windage tray, and valve springs from the race ready 440 Magnum. The new Road Runner was also equipped with heavier duty suspension, manual transmission, and numerous other performance pieces. Comfort was basic with no carpeting - just rubber floor mats and a bench seat. Mopar performance seekers were pleased with the new addition, as the base price started at just $2896 and for just $714 more the Hemi 426 could be had.
Old 1/29/15, 08:47 PM

Sorry Rob, while I appreciate your perspective, yours is not the only perspective for the world of car owners or the experiences of forum members.
Where's that picture of the cat looking in the mirror. It's relevant here.

Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
Just to add.. I met my wife while driving my escape. It wasn't until after we were married that I bought my first mustang GT..
I guess I do things backwards. ha ha
I met both of my wives in a V8 Mustang. Both cars were black and 15 model years apart (94/09). The second wife is a keeper though. She's ironcally 15 years younger than the first, too. She's into cars, comics, and videos games as well. Perfect match.

Now, catching up...It's gonna be hit and miss below.

There was a time when muscle cars took it as a point of pride of being NA. Some friends in their Fox bodies when I was in HS in the 80s may have had NOS, but the NA motors were the one that got the most oohs and aahhs. it took some skill to make them purr. Times change and everyone is throwing SC and Turbos at everything now to make power.

I was never a GM fan, but I grew up loving Smokey and the Bandit. My brother had a 77 Yellow Trans Am. He was a GM fan in a house of Ford. I helped rebuild that engine a few times in our garage when I was younger. It had a ton of TQ and decent HP for the time. It should be noted, the engine blew because of bad decisions. (It was also an Auto, though I've never wanted an Automatic. There was a time I looked down on people with auto's. Not anymore. I guess I got older.)

And to address the women... I've never met a woman I'd want to keep around that was only impressed with the sound of a car. If they were you may as well have a jacked Silverado with glasspacks. But that seems about like what we're talking about half the time in this thread anyway.
Old 1/29/15, 08:49 PM

And we didn't even need "moderating". lol
Not convinced yet.
Old 1/29/15, 08:51 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
Not convinced yet.
Ye of little faith.
Old 1/29/15, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by IWantMyNewGT
I may get flamed for this, but one possibility would be for ONE of the big three to keep building a mod-friendly V8, and sell to the other two to tweak for their muscle cars. It might make lower production numbers due to guzzler taxes financially viable for all.
I know where I'll be getting my next V8 from ! Whoever keeps building them
Old 1/30/15, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38
I really want born in the wrong time. I envy that you guys had those experiences. We had nothing like that in my 17-25 years...
Trust me Patrick ! You would've enjoyed the muscle car era through out the early and mid 1970's.. If only there were a way to be able to go back in time and relive all those experiences from back then ? I would do so without hesitation, and that also includes reliving all those great memories from all those wild and crazy women I encountered from back then as well

Quick Reply: Ford to discontinue V8