2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford to discontinue V8

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/15 | 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah and they also said a few years ago that they would never do a global mustang either. things always change. It's just sucks when modern v8s are so **** good.
Old 1/14/15 | 07:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This will do for me lol
Old 1/14/15 | 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Make an override switch like traction control. But on the freeway cruising why not only light 4?
You've never heard one of those Dodges with exhaust, running on half the engine, on the freeway - it becomes a droning 4-cylinder!
Old 1/14/15 | 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

CS: Why did you go with an EcoBoost V6 on the new GT and the Raptor?

PS: The compact nature (along with its exceptional power density) of the EcoBoost V-6 in the all new Ford GT was a key factor that allowed the exceptionally narrow rear canopy, a key design and aerodynamic element of the car. The EcoBoost engine in the all-new Raptor will produce more power and torque than the 6.2-liter V-8 it replaces with improved efficiency.

A. BS spin. They could easily put a V8 in the Ford GT if they wanted to. If you can shoehorn a V8 into a Miata (yes that's been done) than you can fit one in that Ford GT.

B. If the ecoboost is producing more power and torque than a 6.2 liter V8 and doing it more efficiently than I don't care what some Ford guy says, it's the writing on the wall.

Last edited by 3point7; 1/14/15 at 08:19 PM.
Old 1/14/15 | 08:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 3point7
A. BS spin. They could easily put a V8 in the Ford GT if they wanted to. If you can shoehorn a V8 into a Miata (yes that's been done) than you can fit one in that Ford GT. B. If the ecoboost is producing more power and torque than a 6.2 liter V8 and doing it more efficiently than I don't care what some Ford guy says, it's the writing on the wall.
Lol...true and true. I'm only really caring about the Mustang mentions in that second article. The trucks - I couldn't care less about. There's plenty of used V8 F-150s I could buy.
Old 1/14/15 | 09:22 PM
Cobra Member

Well, this is all called progress according to our government. They know what is best for you. And, with self driving cars, the engine size is no longer relevant. According to one manufacturer they will have self driving cars on the road in five years. You can bet everyone else will follow when mandated by the government to save us from ourselves. No more accidents according to NHTSA. Right..

You can thank YOUR elected government for this, if it happens. The EPA has gone regulation happy over the last 6 years, telling us they are saving us, while China opens a new coal fired power plant EVERY WEEK! And, we close all of ours forcing our costs to escalate. As car people, we are screwed. But, we have progress.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 1/14/15 at 09:26 PM.
Old 1/14/15 | 10:05 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Too bad voodoo economics has nothing to do with engines
Old 1/14/15 | 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by FlyTexas
Something to keep in mind is that as the volume of V8 engines goes down, the R&D cost per engine goes up.

There comes a point where they aren't building enough of them to make continued development worthwhile.

Multiple people have said, "well, if they keep up with technology, we might well have a 40 MPG V8 in 10-20 years". Yes, that might be true if they "keep up with technology", but if they are putting their R&D dollars in the V6 EcoBoost, then that might not happen.
Who said anything about the volume of V8 engines going down ? The current 5.0 Coyote is still a fairly new engine going into only it's 5th year of production..

Do you really think that Ford just wasted all that $$$ in the years it took for R&D for nothing ? I think not.. And if Ford didn't feel it had any future potential, they wouldn't had bothered spending all those dollars to begin with let alone waste their time..

At present the V8 remains not only as the heart and soul of the Mustang but also as the Ford F-150's bread and butter..

And for those who think Ford is just going to turn around and scrap it's 5.2L flat plane V8 in which they just recently introduced in just 2 years ???? Then they'll obviously need to have their heads examined..

As for the TTV6 goes ? Nobody from Ford has mentioned a single word about the TTV6 nor any other engine for that matter replacing the current Coyote V8 and now we have definitive proof that the article in question wasn't accurate to begin with !
Old 1/14/15 | 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
This will do for me lol
Hopefully these B.S rumors can finally be put to rest where they belong
Old 1/14/15 | 11:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Who said anything about the volume of V8 engines going down ? The current 5.0 Coyote is still a fairly new engine going into only it's 5th year of production..

Do you really think that Ford just wasted all that $$$ in the years it took for R&D for nothing ? I think not.. And if Ford didn't feel it had any future potential, they wouldn't had bothered spending all those dollars to begin with let alone waste their time..

At present the V8 remains not only as the heart and soul of the Mustang but also as the Ford F-150's bread and butter..

And for those who think Ford is just going to turn around and scrap it's 5.2L flat plane V8 in which they just recently introduced in just 2 years ???? Then they'll obviously need to have their heads examined..

As for the TTV6 goes ? Nobody from Ford has mentioned a single word about the TTV6 nor any other engine for that matter replacing the current Coyote V8 and now we have definitive proof that the article in question wasn't accurate to begin with !
Seems like sound logic but I think there are a few things we need to keep in perspective here.

Ford spent a great deal of money on R&D for a project called the Flex. It failed. Now if Ford thought or new that it was going to fail they wouldn't have spent all that money would they? And yet the Flex cannot be categorized as anything but a failure by any measure.

Ford spent a great deal of R&D money on a vehicle called the Explorer Sport Trac. Turns out almost nobody wanted an Explorer with a pickup bed. It failed despite all the money spent to develop it.

We could of course go way back and revisit the failure that was the Ford Edsel of course. A great deal of R&D was invested in that car and it ultimately failed right out of the gate.

In more recent times we had the Ford Freestyle. Essentially a Ford 500 with a station wagon body. Again, plenty of R&D money was spent on the Freestyle and yet it failed. Along with it was the failure of the 500. So much so that Ford completely revamped the car and reintroduced it as the new Taurus.

I could go on of course but I'll just get to the point that I'm making. Just because Ford has invested a great deal of R&D money in the Coyote motor does not mean that ultimately things are going to work out the way that Ford wants or that most of us here want for that matter. In this case the demise of the Coyote motor may not be as simple as a lack of customer interest. I think we both know it's not that. No in this case it may be due simply to the overly intrusive nature of a government agency that has gone unchecked for far too long and has even been encouraged by the current liberal administration that in general takes a negative view on the ability of Americans to provide for their own transportation much less that transportation be powered by a big V8 motor that they regard as the modern source of evil in the world.
Old 1/15/15 | 12:19 AM
GT Member

It is also worth noting that no matter what Ford spent on the new V8, if the EPA and/or laws make it unprofitable, it really doesn't matter...

I'm not suggesting this will happen, I don't know anything you all don't, just that nothing is for sure, and anything can change...
Old 1/15/15 | 02:39 AM

Seems like sound logic but I think there are a few things we need to keep in perspective here.

Ford spent a great deal of money on R&D for a project called the Flex. It failed. Now if Ford thought or new that it was going to fail they wouldn't have spent all that money would they? And yet the Flex cannot be categorized as anything but a failure by any measure.

Ford spent a great deal of R&D money on a vehicle called the Explorer Sport Trac. Turns out almost nobody wanted an Explorer with a pickup bed. It failed despite all the money spent to develop it.

We could of course go way back and revisit the failure that was the Ford Edsel of course. A great deal of R&D was invested in that car and it ultimately failed right out of the gate.

In more recent times we had the Ford Freestyle. Essentially a Ford 500 with a station wagon body. Again, plenty of R&D money was spent on the Freestyle and yet it failed. Along with it was the failure of the 500. So much so that Ford completely revamped the car and reintroduced it as the new Taurus.

I could go on of course but I'll just get to the point that I'm making. Just because Ford has invested a great deal of R&D money in the Coyote motor does not mean that ultimately things are going to work out the way that Ford wants or that most of us here want for that matter. In this case the demise of the Coyote motor may not be as simple as a lack of customer interest. I think we both know it's not that. No in this case it may be due simply to the overly intrusive nature of a government agency that has gone unchecked for far too long and has even been encouraged by the current liberal administration that in general takes a negative view on the ability of Americans to provide for their own transportation much less that transportation be powered by a big V8 motor that they regard as the modern source of evil in the world.
I'm fully aware of those past failures you brought up.. The difference in this scenario however is the 5.0 Coyote has been nothing but successful since it's introduction just over 4 years ago.. In addition when compared to GM and Chrysler's larger displacement V8's the Coyote not only provides more HP and torque, but is also very fuel efficient for a V8 as well..
Old 1/15/15 | 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by FlyTexas
It is also worth noting that no matter what Ford spent on the new V8, if the EPA and/or laws make it unprofitable, it really doesn't matter...

I'm not suggesting this will happen, I don't know anything you all don't, just that nothing is for sure, and anything can change...
And it's also worth noting this also applies to both GM and Chrysler as well and not just Ford !
Old 1/15/15 | 08:22 AM
V6 Member

I'm fully aware of those past failures you brought up.. The difference in this scenario however is the 5.0 Coyote has been nothing but successful since it's introduction just over 4 years ago.. In addition when compared to GM and Chrysler's larger displacement V8's the Coyote not only provides more HP and torque, but is also very fuel efficient for a V8 as well..
I agree, the coyote is a well designed and executed engine. Did you know Ford has sold over 400,000 f150 ecoboosts alone? that's not even counting non-pickup truck 3.5s, or any of the others. I can't seem to find the total coyote production, but I'm fairly sure it won't be close. I'm thinking each of the big three will approach the looming CAFE hurtles in their own way, and I think the ecoboost and the atkinson-cycle hybrids are the way Ford has chosen.
Old 1/15/15 | 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

According to Ford, this is crap..

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/for...28CARSCOOPS%29
Old 1/15/15 | 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am reminded of the Crown Vic. It was the default police cruiser in the US and Canada. Ford could have gone right on selling Crown Vics just as they were for years to come because police departments would by them without question and in large numbers. What then killed the Crown Vic? The government. It was dropped because it didn't meet new government regulations and Ford deemed it cost prohibitive to update the chassis. The same could easily happen to the 5.0. Never underestimate the governments ability to ruin a good thing.
Old 1/15/15 | 10:28 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL

Yep! Just as expected... V8 is here to stay

Everyone can take their tin hats off now!

Now the question he dodged in the article... V8 TT Ecoboost? I know a lot who would be ordering one up!

Last edited by Turbo302; 1/15/15 at 10:31 AM.
Old 1/15/15 | 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Turbo302
Yep! Just as expected... V8 is here to stay Everyone can take their tin hats off now!
This was already posted, and in reality, neither of those sites have a good track record of having true information. I think we should just sit back and see what happens because no one really knows what will happen, outside Ford execs, engineers and suppliers.

On a lighter note, this made me chuckle!
Attached Thumbnails Ford to discontinue V8-image-3704725771.jpg  
Old 1/15/15 | 10:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
This was already posted, and in reality, neither of those sites have a good track record of having true information. I think we should just sit back and see what happens because no one really knows what will happen, outside Ford execs, engineers and suppliers.

On a lighter note, this made me chuckle!

I agree, nothing in life is ever set in stone.

At least with this article vs the first, there is an actual name of a Ford Global Powertrain Technology Communications Manager, Paul Seredynski vs the first website which was a friend of a friend kinda telephone game story with no name or accountability given.

I believe someone when they put their name behind their statements.
Old 1/15/15 | 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Just to let Ford know, If I had to get a V6 I'll go back to BMW. FYI :-)
Oh you say that now. But when a 450 hp twin turbo V6 Mustang blows past your Camry like the wind you're gonna be all

im obviously joking, but yea

v6 mustang, been there, done that, and no thanks

Quick Reply: Ford to discontinue V8