05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/07, 10:40 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karrnutt
Looks great Praztek,are those bullit wheels from AFS ?
Yes they are, couldn't pass it up when I found out they were only 5 min away from where I live. I've had them for over a year now and no issues and great customer service.

I'm surprised there isn't more concern of the paint edges getting chipped, guess we'll find out as time goes on with them being washed and during the hot & cold temp. changes.
Old 4/8/07, 10:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
J&D - I was wondering when someone would get around to trying the trim piece. It looks really good on your car. Also add a few more points for your wheel choice
Old 4/8/07, 05:28 PM
J&D

Smile

Originally Posted by Deric
J&D - I was wondering when someone would get around to trying the trim piece. It looks really good on your car. Also add a few more points for your wheel choice
I am grateful for your opinions Deric.

I think the trim on the louvers add value to the windows without blinging the car. I had second doubts on the trim until I entered the car at the Mustang Club of Houston open car show. I did not win in the mod category, but did get honorable mention. Everyone that noticed the windows first noted the trim.

You should try the trim on yours, easily removed if not satisfied.

I really like the wheels because they match the car's paint job. The wheel choice was made after seeing the Shelby car with them on. I am not trying to pass as a Shelby. Just liked the color combination and the fact that the wheels will allow a larger brake system later.
Old 4/8/07, 08:49 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm....

10:32pm Easter Sunday, and.... ALL the preorder painted orders are PACKED AND READY TO SHIP TOMORROW !! I worked through the weekend to get this done, took just enough time to have lunch with the family, and got back to it when I figured nobody would be calling to distract me

As to the paint edge... it's a double edged sword. The very first louvers(including my own personal car) had clearcoat over the entire louver. This was easier to paint, but had the downside of "orange peeling" the viewing areas. The newer way we do it there is no clear on the viewing area, but it does leave a mask edge. Concerned citizens can wetsand the edge a little and follow with clearcoat in whatever way you'd like, but there's no easy way to do this and get the look you are after. This is why we roll the edge with paint, so it doesn't "end" right at the end of the vent area, where it definitely could get hooked on things and chip off.

I will tell you that much of our time in every set is now focused on trimming clean lines at the mask edges, and that you can run a razor parallel to the surface to bring any "lip" down so as to not catch when waxing or washing. That, and the rolled edge area does have clearcoat on it, it just ends at the same point as the color due to the masking technique.
Old 4/9/07, 06:57 AM
J&D

[quote=SilverHorseRacing;886841]
Concerned citizens can wetsand the edge a little and follow with clearcoat in whatever way you'd like, but there's no easy way to do this and get the look you are after. This is why we roll the edge with paint, so it doesn't "end" right at the end of the vent area, where it definitely could get hooked on things and chip off.quote]

Marcello is right, wetsanding will smooth out all raised edges. Try to use the finest silicon carbide paper you can find, I used 4000!! With tons of water!! It takes longer to complete, yet it does not take excessive paint off the louvers. 4000 will also take the imperfections off the unpainted parts and gives it a great clear view through and through.

Streuers metalurgicals sells this fine grade. I use it at work to polish Electron Microscope acrylic molds where a fine scratch will look like the Grand Canyon!! They even sell diamond slurries where you will be able to polish a surface with a smoother than glass finish.

For those that will not venture that far, Clay Magic makes at leat two grades if bars, Medium to start, followed by their fine grade.You will have a little lip, but the surface will be baby-butt smooth. (not that I have made the side-by-side comparison)
Old 4/9/07, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

Marcello is the man! Let's just say that his customer service is bar none. If I had to vote for vendor of the year, I'd vote for Marcello and Silver Horse Racing!

Thanks for you help this evening!

-danny
Old 4/10/07, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by J&D
I am grateful for your opinions Deric.

I think the trim on the louvers add value to the windows without blinging the car. I had second doubts on the trim until I entered the car at the Mustang Club of Houston open car show. I did not win in the mod category, but did get honorable mention. Everyone that noticed the windows first noted the trim.

You should try the trim on yours, easily removed if not satisfied.

I really like the wheels because they match the car's paint job. The wheel choice was made after seeing the Shelby car with them on. I am not trying to pass as a Shelby. Just liked the color combination and the fact that the wheels will allow a larger brake system later.
I was at the same car show After seeing those Louvers, I had to have them for my stang. Louvers being delivered tomorrow
Old 4/10/07, 08:24 PM
V6 Member

I recieved mine today! I got home late and just finished raining. I can't wait to have them installed!
Old 4/14/07, 09:41 PM
V6 Member

I received mine about three weeks ago and finally have them installed and here's the pics. Thanks for great product, Silver Horse. Looking forward to more!
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-louver-01.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-louver-02.jpg  
Old 4/15/07, 01:42 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Sweet, thanks guys! We were at the Mustang and Mustang show in Lakeland yesterday, I can't believe we were the only car there with the louvers installed! Didn't win any awards (there were some nice show cars there, and #05 is far from it IMO) but saw a lot of our customers there including some that have the louvers, just not installed yet. Had a great time and am looking forward to SuperStangfest and Mustang Week coming up. I have some mods in mind for #05 that should get her back into the hunt for car show stuff - at least until I can get time to get back to the track with #93.

In the meantime, keep the pictures coming!
Old 4/15/07, 02:03 PM
GT Member

It would really be trick if they could be designed to be functional like the OEM early models.
Old 4/16/07, 07:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's pic of mine , I really love them. Thanks Marcello , they're great
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-mustang_2_0-3-.jpg  
Old 4/16/07, 11:02 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WarningSLO
I guess they don't HAVE to be functional, but I still think it would be cool. I don't see how it wouldn't work on a modern car, there are plenty of cars out there that have windows in the back that pop out an inch or so to vent air. Same concept in my book.
It would be nice to get some air flow to the back seat without using the AC or have the blast of air from the front windows or just exhaust the air in the cabin without the wind noise or heater motor running. And yes it would have a lever to slide it open like the OEMs.

Is it necessary no, would it increase the price probably but it would be a nice option to have.
Old 4/16/07, 11:46 AM
Cobra Member

Anybody noticed any wind noise with their louvers? I "thought" I was chasing an air leak, but could never find it. Tried leak testing with water, nothing. I think I have decided that it is wind noise.
Old 4/16/07, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Sweet, thanks guys! We were at the Mustang and Mustang show in Lakeland yesterday, I can't believe we were the only car there with the louvers installed! Didn't win any awards (there were some nice show cars there, and #05 is far from it IMO) but saw a lot of our customers there including some that have the louvers, just not installed yet. Had a great time and am looking forward to SuperStangfest and Mustang Week coming up. I have some mods in mind for #05 that should get her back into the hunt for car show stuff - at least until I can get time to get back to the track with #93.

In the meantime, keep the pictures coming!
Will you be at the MCA National this weekend?
Old 4/16/07, 01:25 PM
Legacy Tms Member

No to the MCA national - going to be in Tampa for the TMTS show for Arthur Machinery this week (one of our sponsors) and FeatureCAM / ProFORCE will be there as well (our other sponsor). Stop by and say hi if you're in the Tampa area - free food and drinks! Wed-Thursday 10-7.

Hawgman, wind noise vs. the whistle you would get from a leak are probably two different sounds. I'd say you're hearing just noise in general, as I was pushing our car pretty hard this weekend into 30mph headwinds, and the noise I could discern was mostly from the B-pillar seal for the front windows. The louvers sit out of the airstream, and so their contribution to the overall noise is minimal, if any, compared to the glass.
Old 4/16/07, 04:55 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by hawgman
Anybody noticed any wind noise with their louvers? I "thought" I was chasing an air leak, but could never find it. Tried leak testing with water, nothing. I think I have decided that it is wind noise.
hawgman-
I have not noticed any wind noise - but I did have a leak...before putting the interior back in, took a air hose and blew around to feel for leaks and found a small one...just gooped a little more adhesive up in.
blowing from outside with someone in the backseat listening/feeling can narrow it down a bit- due to the shape, maybe water might not run in but still let a little air in?

if anyone else tries this, just make sure your adhesive is set solid- dont want someone screaming at me if they blow that black "stains everything" goop all over their interior
Old 4/16/07, 06:43 PM
V6 Member

I am having mine installed this week.

I showed them to auto body shop I am using and they were liking it.
Old 4/16/07, 07:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
if anyone else tries this, just make sure your adhesive is set solid- dont want someone screaming at me if they blow that black "stains everything" goop all over their interior
Old 4/18/07, 05:26 PM
V6 Member

Just had them installed today. They are the prepainted ones.

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass