05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/07, 03:14 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
For those of you who were looking for a tool to do it yourself, I searched back in the thread to find the Snap-on tool someone else pointed out a long time ago. It's part # Ya109B, and is $31.95 on their website. I also tried a local CarQuest, and got an identical tool (see attached pic) for $14.94. That plus the ultra-fast set urethane from 3M, and I'm all set to install my louvers tomorrow.

The dealer I got my car from has a Blackjack in their showroom too, I'll start another thread on that.
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-win_tool.jpg  
Old 3/30/07, 03:26 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good Bill, gotta change your sig line now

Jay, glad you like them - the packaging just kind of "worked out" - tried a few things until we found something that went together easy and protected the parts well - the bubble wrap we make is 'da bomb' though for protecting stuff. New boxes aren't done yet, because we have one coming 11" shorter for customers that order w/o install hardware - save a little on shipping anyway.

Also Jay, let us know how that tool works for R&R... I thought of offering / using that tool instead, but I've always used the wire method, so that's what we ended up offering. I just worried that the tool you have pictured would be hard to start / difficult to keep from hitting the body, that's all.
Old 3/30/07, 04:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished installing mine. Overall I am pretty darn pleased with them. One of them has a rough spot in it around the edge but not a show stopper by any means.

Two things Silverhorse didn't bother to tell us though.

1) The upper interior trim that runs over the package shelf...well....Ford built the car around that piece. Easy to get out, pain in the butt to get back in. The far back "hook" was a bugger.

2) Be careful when you cut the tie wraps on the cutting wire. It will unspool and backlash worse that any open faced Zebco reel I have ever seen!

Much happy with the results. Here is a pic or two I took about half way through. Didn't have the interior back in yet.
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dscf0010-medium-.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dscf0012-medium-.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dscf0016-medium-.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dscf0019-medium-.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dscf0020-medium-.jpg  

Old 3/30/07, 04:06 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet mother of Pearl that is going to look awesome when it's done - I like that color...

As to the interior, that one is a bit of a pain, but compare it to my wife's Lincoln LS and you will be singing praise for the Mustang's assembly... I just had to replace a plastic-chrome inner door handle on hers, it comes as an assembly that is riveted to the door frame, but of course the whole door, complete with 50 lbs of electronics has to come out to clean up the leftovers after drilling the rivets... and don't even get me started about the 3 different fuse boxes on the car. Of course the Jaguar V8 makes that baby move, but geebus.... it's wiring makes an F16 look primitive...
Old 3/30/07, 04:07 PM

Lookin' good Hawgman!
Old 3/30/07, 05:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Anyone run into the situation where the space between the glass and the body is so small the wire won't fit? I have. Anyone have a solution to this. If I continue to use the wire from SHR I will demolish the paint.... I'm close to just shattering the glass if no one has any suggestions.
Old 3/30/07, 05:02 PM

The tool I got should work, it only cuts from the inside. (see pic top of this page) I'll find out tomorrow how well it works I guess.
Old 3/30/07, 05:36 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used a box cutter on mine from the inside to cut through some of the adhesive. If it's just a small area where it's pinched up against the body, maybe try some fishing line or the shaped nylon string for weed whackers. ? Maybe combine that with a little time from a heat gun to soften the adhesive?
Old 3/30/07, 07:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Box cutter, hair dryer and PATIENCE did the trick. Got both windows out, I'll finish it tomorrow morning and post some pictures.
Old 3/30/07, 07:58 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by pittperson
Box cutter, hair dryer and PATIENCE did the trick. Got both windows out, I'll finish it tomorrow morning and post some pictures.
Old 3/30/07, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Man I want these bad, think I'll do some begging and pleading with wife. But, then again she might think that is foreplay.
Old 3/30/07, 10:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
For those of you who were looking for a tool to do it yourself, I searched back in the thread to find the Snap-on tool someone else pointed out a long time ago. It's part # Ya109B, and is $31.95 on their website. I also tried a local CarQuest, and got an identical tool (see attached pic) for $14.94. That plus the ultra-fast set urethane from 3M, and I'm all set to install my louvers tomorrow.

The dealer I got my car from has a Blackjack in their showroom too, I'll start another thread on that.
Does this took your going to use allow you to remove the window without taking all the trim off?
Old 3/31/07, 04:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm screwed!

My passenger side is leaking, and I can't get it out without cutting into the lexan and/or scratching the paint. I've also scratched the paint on the outside of the louver by accident with one of the tools while trying to remove it, and scatched the body paint with the wire trying to avoid cutting into the lexan.

Marcello, you wouldn't happen to have a black passenger side louver that 'didn't make the cut' in QC that you could sell cheap? I think my only solution is going to be to actually cut the old louver out by cutting it in half and going from there.

FRICK FRICK FRICK!

-danny
Old 3/31/07, 04:40 PM
I lust for a M24

Do you know where the leak is? Before I went that route, I'd try and find the leak and shoot a little extra adhesive up there from the inside, being careful not to use too much that it squeezes up and is visible from the outside. Then, I'd try patiently using a little touch-up paint, or taking it to a bodyshop if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself. Patience, and no panic.
Old 3/31/07, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I think I am the first to install these in Grabber Orange.

Check it out!!

http://www.grabberorange.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=886

Mark
Old 4/1/07, 08:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Got mine installed yesterday

I got mine installed yesterday, haven't tested for leaks yet so cross your fingers for me. A few posts back, I read to put an extra thick bead of sealant on to make the louver fit flush... that was a mess to clean up after I pressed the louver on. There was sealant in the little space between the louver and body One tip: before starting, from the outside, check that the spacing between the window and body is big enough to allow the wire to go ALL the way around the window. Mine wasn't and I scratched the paint a bit.

And now the pictures....

Old 4/1/07, 09:46 AM
I lust for a M24

That looks sweet pit. I like that extra emblem up there, did you get that idea from another year Mustang?
Old 4/1/07, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
That looks sweet pit. I like that extra emblem up there, did you get that idea from another year Mustang?
hmmm... where, oh where have I seen that emblem before?...

btw, the louvers look great!
Old 4/1/07, 10:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Like Louie said, I got the idea from him (thanks for telling where to find them)! And what a great idea it is I'm slowly moving towards the mach 1 look.

Old 4/1/07, 12:41 PM
GT Member

Got mine yesterday, Overall quality is great. Paint quality could have been better pretty easy to fix so not a big deal. Marcello, you guys do incredible work. This piece is an absolute work of art. I had to call a few of my vendors before installing to have them come look at what good plastic molding looked like.

For those interested:

This one's to show the clarity of the plastic.

Great job Silver Horse Racing! You'll be seeing more orders from me soon if this is the sign of your quality.

Jason

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass