05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/07, 12:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pittperson, don't feel bad about a few knicks in the paint. I totally wasn't paying attention and got into the paint rouding one of the corners. Luckily a little sanding and touchup paint and you can't tell.

Jason
Old 4/2/07, 09:37 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
dekujala, you still have to remove the interior panels to get the tool in so you can cut the urethane. Be impossible to do without removing them, I would think. But with this tool you don't have to have someone on the outside, or really long arms, I was able to do it all myself.

And here are the pics, I didn't take any in progress, just after-shots. I do have a small leak on the drivers side, now I've got to try to fix that. I have a good idea where it is though, and plenty of urethane left over.
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-shr_left.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-shr_right.jpg  
Old 4/2/07, 09:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Jay,

My passenger side failed the leak test. What I did was take the interior apart (again! I'm a whiz at that now) and seal it all the around from the inside with the sealer and a putty knife. Problem fixed. The interior panels will hide the sealer if its done neatly.
Old 4/2/07, 09:48 AM

Good idea, I will give that a try. I was also thinking of a thin flexible tip on the caulk tube, that I could guide in from the outside precisely, but I think I like your idea better.
Old 4/2/07, 07:30 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

Just trying to understand the leak issue clearly - is there something we could add to the directions, or is it just a case of not getting an even bead laid up? I've done a few sets personally without leaking issues, and with over 300 sets already out there, this seems to be rather isolated, but if there's something we can do to make it better for future installs, it's good info to know.

Of course the first windshield I ever did ended up in two pieces, so I guess if you haven't done window glass a few times it can take a bit of "practice" to get right consistently It went in once fine, it was the leak that I was trying to fix that made it two pieces...
Old 4/2/07, 07:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

In my case (being this was the first time ever working with a window) I believe it was not trimming the old sealer off enough and, as you said, not laying an even bead of the new stuff.
Old 4/2/07, 08:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd had a slight leak on one side of mine too- after it setup a couple days/before putting interior back in, took the air hose and blew around it, found a leak on one side, and the air made it very easy to tell exactly where it was...just shot a little urethane up in that area, sealed it right up...only bad thing is, I bet theres a little 'puddle' of water above where the leak was, as it was on the topside... from the looks of the factory sealer outline, it probably always had some puddles there anyways...I cut up the little rubber window pads into three pieces to put in the corners to keep flush thickness, and put a real heavy bead of urethane around it- but not thick enough apparently...

next time somebody does one, maybe check the thickness of the oem rubber blocks(mine all popped out intact as the cutting wire went around)- perhaps theres a rope type window cord in that thickness that could be wrapped around the sheetmetal edge to both prevent any excess sealant from getting on the inside and as a thickness guide for the urethane? the urethane is so soft, any pressure at all will squish it flat- a cord type spacer might help in maintaining flush mount even with moderate pressure- yet could still be squished in if desired by pressing harder...gotta have the urethane as the adhesive, but the old cord type if small enough might make a decent spacer/guide? just thinking aloud...
Old 4/2/07, 08:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Guys,

Just trying to understand the leak issue clearly - is there something we could add to the directions, or is it just a case of not getting an even bead laid up? I've done a few sets personally without leaking issues, and with over 300 sets already out there, this seems to be rather isolated, but if there's something we can do to make it better for future installs, it's good info to know.

Of course the first windshield I ever did ended up in two pieces, so I guess if you haven't done window glass a few times it can take a bit of "practice" to get right consistently It went in once fine, it was the leak that I was trying to fix that made it two pieces...
In my case I think it was just a experience. It was the first window I installed and I was a little to stingy with the urethane in a small spot. I was still a little shell shocked I had just cut the windows out of my car.
Old 4/2/07, 08:34 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remove all but a slight amount of the factory adhesive - the thickness of masking tape, and caulk the **** out of it. Keep your bead on the innermost part of the opening so that when you set the window in place and it squishes, it doesn't squish out and become visible.

Maybe "Caulk the **** out of it" isn't the best directions - but it worked for me!
Old 4/3/07, 02:44 AM
J&D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This louver has trimmed

This one has a trim piece from MCRParts.com
Attached Images  
Old 4/3/07, 02:51 AM
J&D

A few more:

Since the last was a terrible example.
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-s5030273.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-s5030274.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-s5030275.jpg  
Old 4/3/07, 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by J&D
not bad at all!
Old 4/3/07, 09:36 AM

Not quite sure what my problem was for the leak, other than possibly lack of patience. I put a double bead all the way around, one on top of the other, but I was in a hurry to get the car washed (hand-wash place that does a good job) since it was free that day (b-day wash). Before I went, I checked, and the top of that side was still a little spongy, so it's possible the dryer fans blew a hole in the top side. The next morning the urethane had set up, so no more spongy-ness. I will check it later this week to see if the leak is still there, and if so, I'll seal it up from inside.

I like the rope-spacer idea, or perhaps a few pieces of rubber like the stock spacers, with a sticky side, so a few could be placed around the frame of each window before installing.
Old 4/3/07, 03:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by J&D

Well all that is is the scott drake piece we have been talking about earlier in this thread. It seems like a good match. I havent seen it on a painted one. That louver is shr louver with scott drake trim. I am starting to like that idea. All I need to see now is the trim piece painted with body matching color to decide which way I want to do it. I like it thou, looks nice, a little more polished or chromed would look nice as well. Well still waiting on the louvers so I still have some time to decide. Thanks for the pics.
Old 4/3/07, 03:33 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dayum JD, I love those wheels! Your car looks great.
Old 4/4/07, 02:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just curious....has everybody on the pre-order list received their louvers? Do I have the dubious distinction of being the last?
Old 4/4/07, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by outdoorstom
Just curious....has everybody on the pre-order list received their louvers? Do I have the dubious distinction of being the last?

I thought I would be the last to receive my louvers beacuse Marcello only had 2 orders for Grabber Orange...mine being one of them.

I'm glad they arrived last Saturday. They look fantastic!

I hope yours arrive soon. I'm sure you will love them.

Mark
Old 4/4/07, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Safarisun
I thought I would be the last to receive my louvers beacuse Marcello only had 2 orders for Grabber Orange...mine being one of them.

I'm glad they arrived last Saturday. They look fantastic!

I hope yours arrive soon. I'm sure you will love them.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I saw your pics.....
Old 4/4/07, 03:42 PM
J&D

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Dayum JD, I love those wheels! Your car looks great.
Thank you, I just started posting on this site. Did the signature, avatar and other pieces. Joined to keep up with the window development. Marcello sure has his hands full. LOL!

They did a good job with the louvers!!
Old 4/4/07, 03:44 PM
Cobra R Member

No still dont have them, so not last yet, LOL. I spoke with marcello yesterday he said mine should go out today, so hopefully will have them soon. I guess well find out whos last soon hopefully, LOL. Later

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass