05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/07, 03:51 PM
J&D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sodaman
Well all that is is the scott drake piece we have been talking about earlier in this thread. It seems like a good match. I havent seen it on a painted one. That louver is shr louver with scott drake trim. I am starting to like that idea. All I need to see now is the trim piece painted with body matching color to decide which way I want to do it. I like it thou, looks nice, a little more polished or chromed would look nice as well. Well still waiting on the louvers so I still have some time to decide. Thanks for the pics.
That is correct sodaman. I chose to leave it with the brushed finish for now. I will not paint mine, the aluminum finish accent the painted stripes on my car and bring the windows to the forefront. I really like the pieces and I thought the trim achieved my two goals.

I bought the set from this site:
http://www.mcrparts.com/shop/product...cat=952&page=1
Old 4/4/07, 04:03 PM
J&D

Originally Posted by outdoorstom
Just curious....has everybody on the pre-order list received their louvers? Do I have the dubious distinction of being the last?
Didn't Silverhorse called you back on the 20th of March?
I would call Marcello back and not get off the phone until he has yours at hand and promises a tracking number in the morning?
He was kind enough to do that two weeks ago when he promised all of us a call. My louvers arrived two days after my encouraging call. He did not mind at all.
He is swamped!! Moving to a new facility must also be tough.
Old 4/4/07, 06:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sodaman
No still dont have them, so not last yet, LOL. I spoke with marcello yesterday he said mine should go out today, so hopefully will have them soon. I guess well find out whos last soon hopefully, LOL. Later

I spoke with him last week and he said they would ship on Monday or Tuesday. I'm sure they're not back from the paint shop. I know as soon as they are, he'll send them on their way. Good luck with yours...be sure and post pics!
Old 4/4/07, 07:08 PM

Just curious....has everybody on the pre-order list received their louvers? Do I have the dubious distinction of being the last?
Nope...still haven't received mine either.
Old 4/4/07, 07:56 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by J&D
Didn't Silverhorse called you back on the 20th of March?
I would call Marcello back and not get off the phone until he has yours at hand and promises a tracking number in the morning?
I can assure you we do not really adhere to the squeaky wheel theory well around here - having them painted, and having them dry enough to ship have now become two mutually exclusive things - and I'm not shipping any more out that have not had at least 3-4 days to "air out" after returning from the paint shop - so this is slowing it down a little, but not a bunch. I did tell you they would go out, and they didn't go when I said they would because I screwed up - therefore I did get them to you quickly. The ones that are held up right now are just so that we don't deal with the finish being marred up because it was not dry enough when we packed it.

He is swamped!! Moving to a new facility must also be tough.
Moving did not help any, but moving the computers and Internet connection is what tanked the whole deal - without them we are dead in the water, and when the move happened for them, it was (and to some extent still is) a mess. Add the backorders that we have had to endure from some of our suppliers (anodize, chrome, paint, etc) and it really can turn into a nightmare quickly. Lynn is now here full time, but last week she was off for Spring Break with her kids, and Jim (our new programmer / machinist) just started Monday. So there's lots of growing going on, some of it smoother than other parts of it, but we'll make it through.

I spoke with him last week and he said they would ship on Monday or Tuesday. I'm sure they're not back from the paint shop. I know as soon as they are, he'll send them on their way. Good luck with yours...be sure and post pics!
Yep, and a bunch more are coming in tomorrow as well. So they will go Monday. I know it's a long road we've been on with these, but the trip is soon going to be done for everyone. I know we're picking up a bunch of redfire, some more sonic, and whatever else is ready tomorrow, and the painter was asking for more to paint, so we have to take stock of what's got to go out, then figure out some more to start being able to stock them.
Old 4/5/07, 04:38 PM
J&D

[quote=SilverHorseRacing;883280]I can assure you we do not really adhere to the squeaky wheel theory well around here - I did tell you they would go out, and they didn't go when I said they would because I screwed up - therefore I did get them to you quickly. The ones that are held up right now are just so that we don't deal with the finish being marred up because it was not dry enough when we packed it.

Point well taken Marcello, and may I add, you e-mailed me after shipping them with the tracking number. I am still happy with the results and still convinced I made the right choice with your product.

Joe
Old 4/5/07, 04:53 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe, not a problem - I just had to put it out there that tying us up on the phones does not make stuff go any faster for anyone - if anything, it just makes a bigger mess as it backs up. But like I said, the screw up on yours was squarely on my shoulders, and so I stepped up and took care of you on that - at least I do try and keep my word Without it, I don't have much else...

Anyway, picked up 12 sets today, and the painter had about another 10 sets done that needed to be unmasked. I also picked up masks today, so anyone on the pre-order list that wants some, I can take care of you on that N/C. These are the same masks the painter uses, and so the fit has been tweaked to where they work pretty good for anyone that wants to paint them themselves.

Ok, going to get some dinner, then I'll be back to sort more louver orders to go tomorrow
Old 4/5/07, 06:11 PM
GT Member

Got them in today, can I say it only took 20 min! It was a glass shop and they didn't remove any of the interior panels, used the wire on the outside which saves alot of time. Total came to $120.
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-img_1894.jpg  
Old 4/5/07, 06:14 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks really good in tungsten, will look even better once the tape's off. How'd they use the wire just from the outside?
Old 4/5/07, 06:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by praztek
Got them in today, can I say it only took 20 min! It was a glass shop and they didn't remove any of the interior panels, used the wire on the outside which saves alot of time. Total came to $120.
Looks ok with the tape, but they should have used adhesive instead.

Old 4/5/07, 06:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by praztek

He taped off the edges around the window frame as described in the instructions, wrapped the wire around both corners on one side and started sawing. I wanted to take pictures while he was doing it, but didn't want to disturb and have him accidentally hit any of the un masked areas of the body. I was amazed that he had the one already out in less than 5 min.

You mean they were supposed to use adhesive
Old 4/5/07, 06:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Going across instead of around is actually a good idea... you wouldn't have to deal with shoving the wire through the factory sealant. That's thinking outside the box.
Old 4/5/07, 07:04 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pittperson
Going across instead of around is actually a good idea... you wouldn't have to deal with shoving the wire through the factory sealant. That's thinking outside the box.
I tried that. It's hard to get started that way, the adhesive has a lot of 'grab' to the piano wire. It's very hard to get sawing that way. That's what I suggested a few pages ago, but when I tried it was easier to just take out the interior. Maybe the glass shop had some special wire (?) or just a lot more experience.
Old 4/5/07, 07:06 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually, that's how I finished. I just got an area from 12:00 to 6:00 sawed from inside. Then moved outside the vehicle for the rest.
Old 4/6/07, 02:31 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You take the tape off yet?
Old 4/6/07, 06:26 PM
GT Member

Yes Sir

Anyone else concerned with the clear area that was left untouched, and will there be chipping along the paint lines? Sure looks like this could happen, maybe a shot of clear coat along the paint edges would of helped? Little concerned also with the paint lines at the clear area and problems when (if) they expand and contract due to normal weather cycles.

Maybe I could use some of the left over blue tape and just run it along the edges.
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-img_1897.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-img_1896.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-img_1898.jpg  
Old 4/6/07, 08:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am a bit concerned. There is a little "flap" a paint along the clear area that looks as if it could just peal back. I'm not going to try and cross my fingers.
Old 4/7/07, 06:26 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Actually, that's how I finished. I just got an area from 12:00 to 6:00 sawed from inside. Then moved outside the vehicle for the rest.
wish I woulda thought of that...I was sore for a couple days after from stretching/pressing chest against the pillar trying to reach far enough to cut the rear corners...pulling that wire carefully yet hard enough to cut at full fingertip reach was not much fun- I think your way would be even easier than having 2 people
Old 4/7/07, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great Praztek,are those bullit wheels from AFS ?
Old 4/8/07, 06:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Joe, not a problem - I just had to put it out there that tying us up on the phones does not make stuff go any faster for anyone - if anything, it just makes a bigger mess as it backs up. But like I said, the screw up on yours was squarely on my shoulders, and so I stepped up and took care of you on that - at least I do try and keep my word Without it, I don't have much else...

Anyway, picked up 12 sets today, and the painter had about another 10 sets done that needed to be unmasked. I also picked up masks today, so anyone on the pre-order list that wants some, I can take care of you on that N/C. These are the same masks the painter uses, and so the fit has been tweaked to where they work pretty good for anyone that wants to paint them themselves.

Ok, going to get some dinner, then I'll be back to sort more louver orders to go tomorrow
Any word yet on my W/B?

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass