05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/07, 02:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm i guess the Redline hood struts can wait a while, good job with this product Marcello, a VERY AWESOME mod for a VERY AWESOME price
Old 2/1/07, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Update?
Old 2/1/07, 11:28 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WarningSLO
Update?
No. I don't want to.
(just kidding!!)

Ok, here's the deal:

We were supposed to start production last Friday, and have the run done by now, and shipping. But...

One of the modifications caused the mold to get damaged when it tried to go from running semi-auto to full auto, and that wasn't good (and running semi-auto is not an option). So, we had to order beryllium-copper injectors, reinforce the mold in the high pressure areas (we're running at around 275 TONS of pressure) and do a few other tweaks. The injectors arrived Wednesday, and I was there last night. I will be back there tomorrow to approve of the changes, and if it starts running a good part in automatic, we will run through the weekend nonstop to push out the first batch of driver's side pieces. We will then break down the mold, swap to the passenger side, lather, rinse, and repeat. The parts we are getting off the mold (other than where the damage occurred) are beautiful, and I think everyone is really going to be happy with them. With just a quick hit to scuff them, they will take paint like nobody's business, and look like they belong on the car. We could've gotten the "bare" part to look a little better, but it would be at the expense of making the prep to paint a lot more difficult, so it was decided to not go that route, since every piece will require at least a trim edge painting to hide the factory glue line.

FYI, this is a "multi-stage" mold - more complex than the honeycomb panel, and almost the same size - we're talking about almost a ton of steel and aluminum in each side that have to be handled like they were a Faberge egg.. otherwise all these months of work are for nothing.

So... if no more SNAFU's catch us, we will be shipping the first ones by the end of next week.

Paint - I have a meeting first thing in the morning to look over the sample work of a local shop that I trust (they did some work for my Mach 1 once) and to sit down and see where they are with pricing. depending on if I like what I see, I'll inform everyone tomorrow evening if we don't blow away here tonight (tornado warnings and all that).

Urethane sealer - should arrive any day now direct from 3M.

Window cutout tool kits - coming as well.

Sleep - don't have a clue what that is.

I'm going to need a cold one when this is all done!!
Old 2/2/07, 05:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
You da man ...
Old 2/2/07, 07:22 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll buy you the cold-one when this is all done.

Hope things were OK down there last night, I heard it got pretty brutal, but I think that was more central west FL.
Old 2/2/07, 09:30 AM
GT Member

Cool

Awesome! Thanks for the update and stay safe
Old 2/2/07, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
I'm going to need a cold one when this is all done!!
I'll send you a sixer of whatever you want!
Old 2/2/07, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

cold one? well, you'll certainly have earned it.

just wait...once these babys are out on the street, you gonna get FLOODS of orders...watch.
Old 2/2/07, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Marcello,

Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions... I know you're super busy, But...

If you approve the work done by the painter and can get a deal done, when would pre-painted parts get shipped out? I'm assuming there would be a delay over the plain parts.
Old 2/2/07, 10:50 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
And hopefully if you're meeting with the painters today, we might get to see some painted samples today also?

Signed,
Anxiously Awaiting Another Awesome Addition to my Mustang in Las Vegas
Old 2/2/07, 01:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Marcello, you never cease to amaze me. With virtually no sleep, your busting your a$$ with this project. Your dedication and continuous followup with your customers is 2nd to none! I'll buy you a whole case of whatever you like, for all the work you've done on this. Believe the fellow above, once these are on, they will be the talk of all the car shows. I can't wait to see people's reactions once I get them installed, especially at Carlisle this year.

Marcello, can you pack my order with a bunch of your cards? I'd be happy to pass them out to anyone who asks me about where I got these louvers from. I know I'll meet people who will want a set once they see my car.
Old 2/2/07, 02:18 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Cool guys, thanks. Dodging tornadoes, hail, etc... to bring you this little tidbit you might be interested in...

Windows are in production. I approved the driver's side today.

Driver's side is running now, and Tuesday we are scheduled to have the passenger side running. That will put us in a Friday timeframe to probably have them all in hand, and we will work through the weekend (with the exception of my son's B-Day) to get them shipping the following Monday.

I have to go over the numbers, and will release paint info later today / tonight. Pre-paint is a go, just have to make sure all the numbers add up right.

I'll also square away pricing on the selaer and tool kits, so you can "one-stop shop" the entire job through us if you like, and it will all ship out in one box.

Yes, pre-paint will delay your order, although I don't know how much. It depends on how many people on the pre-order list want them pre-painted (please don't post it here, I am working on a system for this) which will then determine how long it takes - we're not going into production of pre-painted until after anyone who wants them pre-painted on the pre-order list is taken care of.

I'll put it all in the update email and post it here ASAP.
Old 2/2/07, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Excellent!
Old 2/2/07, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wonder if you'll have some pre-paint image samples?

-danny
Old 2/2/07, 02:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

We're gettting VERY close now!
Old 2/2/07, 02:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
I have to go over the numbers, and will release paint info later today / tonight. Pre-paint is a go, just have to make sure all the numbers add up right.

I'll also square away pricing on the selaer and tool kits, so you can "one-stop shop" the entire job through us if you like, and it will all ship out in one box.

Yes, pre-paint will delay your order, although I don't know how much. It depends on how many people on the pre-order list want them pre-painted
As contradictory as this may sound to what everyone else wants in this thread, that just might work out nicely for me. I was actually going to email you when you pinned down a date and request a delay because I am headed out of the country on the 13th and won't be back until the 24th. Have someone coming by every couple of days to pick up mail but would be my luck that the UPS dude would arrive on an off day.
Old 2/4/07, 12:27 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Issue # 10 February 4, 2007

We are almost at the end of our pre-order newsletter, and everyone should be quite happy with what news we have today. After many minor issues were resolved over the past week, and delays and obstacles overcome (including new Beryllium-Copper injectors being overnight-shipped for our mold), we are finally in production of our new Flush Mount Louvers, and the USPTO has issued us paperwork that our patent application has been accepted!

The mold started the actual production on Friday, and is running through the weekend to complete the driver’s side run. On Monday, we will be breaking down the mold, and switching to the passenger side mold, which will start running on Tuesday. If there are no issues with it running, we should have shipments beginning on February 12th. Even if minor issues are encountered, it will only be a matter of days at this point, not weeks before shipments will begin.

Many customers have asked, and so we are pleased to announce the pricing and availability of the louvers in a “pre-painted” set directly through SilverHorse Racing. This is the breakdown of the costs which is in addition to the purchase price of the louvers:
  • Fully painted any single factory color, with no visibility out of the louvers – 89.00/pair. (see example 1)
  • Masked and painted any single factory color with visibility through the louvers – 139.00/pair. (see example 2,3,4)
  • Both options include black primer base which will give a black appearance from inside the vehicle, sealer coat (as required), base color coat, and clearcoat using OEM approved automotive finishes and applied by a shop that specializes in custom work for restorations and antique automobiles.
Lead time on both versions is an extra 2-3 weeks for delivery, since we currently have a large number of orders to deal with. Once all pre-orders are caught up, we expect to be able to stock the louvers pre-painted, or be able to paint them in a matter of days after placement of order for fast delivery. But since we are unsure of what colors and volumes to produce the pre-painted louvers in for our pre-orders, this initial run will be handled on an “as-ordered” basis to get them out as quickly as possible.

To order pre-painted, since the web store and eBay auctions were not set up for this initially, we will need the following information from you if you would like to order this option:
  • Your name
  • Contact phone
  • Decide on full-paint (solid color - 89.00) or visibility paint (5 clear areas per side - 139.00)
  • What color code is your vehicle (on vehicle data plate on driver’s door jamb)
  • VIN # of your car (This is to insure proper color matching at the painter’s request)
With the above information in an e-mail, we will contact you and arrange payment so that you do not need to put credit card information in the email to us. We will confirm that the call is genuine by supplying you with the order date of your original order, information only we have access to.

Other painting options are available (ghost flames, stripes, etc..), and we will be happy to ship your set of unpainted louvers directly to Unique Automotive Designs for them to paint for you in any custom configuration you would like, but all costs and specifications will be between you as the customer and them as the supplier. They can be contacted at:

http://www.uniqueautomotivedesigns.com/
Telephone: 404-626-3175
Fax: 770-521-0305
Email: info@uniqueautomotivedesigns.com

Please inform us if you would like your louvers shipped to them instead of directly to you.

Also, we have more items available for the Do-It-Yourself owners out there!

We have 3M OEM and NASCAR approved urethane sealer / adhesive in 10oz caulk tubes available for 12.95, and professional style seal cutting kits (used to remove the factory glass) available for 36.95. These can be added to any order, and will ship in the same box as the louvers with no additional shipping charge, so that you will have everything you need (short of basic sockets and a Phillips screwdriver) to complete the installation in your own driveway. Again, if you would like to order these to be included, please send us an e-mail with the request, your name, and a phone number where we can reach you, and we will contact you to insure your security and privacy.

Please do not post your paint / unpainted requests here, as I cannot insure it will be in the "system" that way, and we want everyone to get the right part on the first try!
Attached Images    
Old 2/4/07, 01:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes!!!!

I'll shoot you an e-mail in the morning with my pre-paint info.

Great work Marcello! I can't wait.
Old 2/4/07, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Done deal ............

Now git busy w/those tail light bezels, those shifter bezels, those window switch plates, those .............

U'r burnin' daylight, plenty of time for that dirt nap later
Old 2/4/07, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

Very F'en cool.
Email replied to!

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass