05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/06, 05:41 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, somewhere back a couple pages I outlined the actual install - takes about 2-2.5 hours for the pair using hand tools. I'll be honest, I'm doing a headlight retrofit on our 2001 F350 right now, and it is taking longer and is harder to do than getting the glass out of the coupe. As it stands it's dark now, and the job isn't done - so that will wait until morning to wrap up. I had to pull apart the whole front end for access, I'm guessing there is a special tool that would make it *easier* but not easy by any stretch...

Anyway, mold is slated to go back up on the CNC Monday - in the downtime they had a couple *hot* jobs pop (emergency mold repairs, etc) that pushed us back, but we're beng told Monday we are #1 to go. It's these time delays that I expect at this point, it's all part of the process that is mold making... Other than that, not much to report on them this week, I'll get an update together for all our new customers that have been getting added on.

Oh, and if you're looking to get in on the pre-order, you can use eBay, but we prefer you using our website if possible, and you can still checkout using PayPal there if you like (we have it integrated right in). eBay charges quite a bit for a listing, so we use it more for people that might notice us there, but don't follow threads like this. It's all good, just trying to save some of the money to help pay for the molds.
Old 10/4/06, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marcello, does the presale, also get you in at a discounted price on the prepainted louvers? How much extra over the presale price, will the prepainted ones be? I would be interested in the preorder but only on prepainted ones. Also any new word on the taillight pieces. I would like something for my honeycomb panel.
Old 10/4/06, 07:32 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Prepainted will be whatever the cost ends up being on them, but you will be saving over those who buy after production starts, since you will be saving on the initial part price. You will also have first dibs on painted parts, customers who get in after will have to wait in line - it's the only fair way to do it. We are not looking to get rich off of pre-painting these, we are just trying to help our customers, so there is no discount program on that side of things scheduled. We don't even have pricing available yet on pre-paint option, so who knows, it might end up being cheaper to have them painted locally depending on what we are quoted.

While I'd love to just stock them in all the colors here, the reality of inventory control says otherwise at the moment. That's why the pre-paint is going to be a "made-to-order" option, and not a "Stock" item.

On the taillights - let me get through Christmas this year, and we'll get on them after the 1st of the year. There are enough requests that we know we want to get them done, but financial reality says that the windows need to be completed before we move on to another major part like this.
Old 10/4/06, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Wow, I missed out on the prepainted option possibility. Makes it even more appealing.
Old 10/5/06, 05:59 AM
Bullitt Member

How would we define if we want pre-painted on the order form (Your site)? If this is an option at all, how would we define the color choices as well? These look great so far on the pre-production runs.... I am looking forward to the finished product.
Old 10/5/06, 01:43 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by nbk13nw
How would we define if we want pre-painted on the order form (Your site)? If this is an option at all, how would we define the color choices as well? These look great so far on the pre-production runs.... I am looking forward to the finished product.
Eventually, it will be set up with a drop-down box for standard type painting, and only non-standard (flames, full paint no view, etc) would require a phone call to us. (We do have phones - heck we even like to talk to our customers!)

But, for now, there is nothing set up because there is no pricing info yet on it. Everyone on the pre-order list will be contacted when we are at that stage and pricing info will be made available for those that would like them pre-painted. Those that don't want them pre-painted will obviously receive them a bit quicker, but we'll work with our customers as always to make sure they get the part they want. It won't be a problem, as us Italians say, "fugged aboud it"
Old 10/5/06, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for that quick response SilverHorseRacing! One more question.... How long will the pre-order be up on your site? Looks like I may have to wait until payday (15th) to order...
Old 10/5/06, 02:00 PM
Legacy Tms Member

At least through the end of October. Like the Honeycomb Panel pre-order, we won't shift to production until after we have good parts off the mold and firm production dates / delivery schedules.
Old 10/5/06, 02:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Any update on plans to dress up the inside of the louvers??? BTW when are the cupholder bezels going to be up for order on the site???
Old 10/5/06, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
At least through the end of October. Like the Honeycomb Panel pre-order, we won't shift to production until after we have good parts off the mold and firm production dates / delivery schedules.
Great! I will be placing an order on the 15th then... Thanks!
Old 10/5/06, 03:02 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Any update on plans to dress up the inside of the louvers??? BTW when are the cupholder bezels going to be up for order on the site???
Umm, not yet on the interior - need to work on that a bit. Actually need to work on a lot before next weekend's show in Tampa...

On the bezel, thanks for reminding me - Let me see if I can get some pictures of the black ones today - machine shop is saying other finishes should be about another week from anodize, that's with the engraving on them.
Old 10/5/06, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Umm, not yet on the interior - need to work on that a bit. Actually need to work on a lot before next weekend's show in Tampa...

On the bezel, thanks for reminding me - Let me see if I can get some pictures of the black ones today - machine shop is saying other finishes should be about another week from anodize, that's with the engraving on them.
What show in Tampa and will you have a sample of the louvers? Isn't that Steeda Stampede weekend?
Old 10/5/06, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

got my pre order in cant wait to see the end result
Old 10/5/06, 06:08 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by redbullet
What show in Tampa and will you have a sample of the louvers? Isn't that Steeda Stampede weekend?
Mustang Club of Tampa 25th Anniversary at the Museum of Science and Industry - October 14th.

Yes, we will have the car there, with the prototype in place - I guess I should get that touched up a bit more then, since it looks like garbage right now...

Will also have some of our latest offerings on the car, and in the trailer, for anyone who's looking to buy themselves a gift on Saturday

Look for us in the vendor area, shouldn't be hard to spot Oh, and it is the same weekend as the Steeda stampede. But they stock some of our products anyway, and the event there is mostly a drag race thing, so us road racers probably would get bored and start using the return road as the front straightaway, like it is set up normally at Moroso for a RR weekend!
Old 10/5/06, 07:04 PM
GT Member

I finally pulled the trigger on a set of these. I can't wait to see the finished product.

-TRB
Old 10/5/06, 07:14 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Hey TRB,

You still owe me a picture of the car with the honeycomb panel and fuel door installed together before I can possibly think of shipping you the new windows

I think a billet rear medallion in polished GT finish would really finish off the look - at least I can guarantee the diameter of it for you! Hireman has mine to get ready for the show next weekend - have to be a little different you know!
Old 10/17/06, 10:54 AM
V6 Member

Talking

Ordered mine today! Happy Birthday to Me!!

I can't wait!!
Old 10/17/06, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm new here so forgive me if I'm being ignorant. (I also don't feel like taking the time to read through 24 pages.) Here's my confusion:

1. The original Mustang fastback had rear quarter vents.
2) The original Shelby Mustang had rear quarter glass.

So in effect, by installing louvers, you guys want your ride to be a throwback to the Mustang, not the Shelby. So you want your Mustang NOT to have a Shelby influence? Just curious....

Willie
Old 10/17/06, 03:00 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Willie
I'm new here so forgive me if I'm being ignorant. (I also don't feel like taking the time to read through 24 pages.) Here's my confusion:

1. The original Mustang fastback had rear quarter vents.
2) The original Shelby Mustang had rear quarter glass.
That is exactly correct. The whole point of modification is differentiation from the norm. There are 300,000+ 2005-up Mustangs on the road, so if you want to have a different look than the other 299,999 of them, this is a possibility to consider.

Look at it from the flip side of the coin - Shelby originally did away with the louvers and went to glass for what reason? To be different than the stock Mustang that was being offered. There was no real "racing" value to the swap, on a car like a 65 Mustang, it would have made so little difference to the airflow that it wouldn't have been measurable given the equipment Shelby and others had at the time.

We've never said we were going to copy whatever CS did with his original cars - there's plenty of people doing exactly that, including CS himself with the new GT500. What we are offering is product that offers a different look than what is available, with a high regard for quality and visible functionality that other pieces do not have. We do this while staying within the confines of the factory body lines, so as not to "disrupt" the look of the car but to enhance its appearance. Our pieces should look as though the factory *could* have offered them - not that the bean-counters would allow it, but if they did, they'd look like ours. Hence the look of our rear medallions, the Honeycomb panel that matches the grill work, our billet fuel doors made from aluminum and stainless steel, etc...
Old 10/17/06, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Marcello,

In the vein of staying with items as if the factory would have produced them. Have you thought of producing a set of quarter window louvers that match the 67-68 twelve slat original versions?

Attachment 12030
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass