GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/06, 02:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doug904
Nope, he's running the C&L 85mm Street Aluminum tune that I use. When I called JR and asked him if he had some tuning info he just said to use the C&L MAF adjustments and it works fine. After he said this I started doing some research on them and finally placed an order for one. Then once they arrived I thought about the dyno and the tuning but then I thought, this would be a he said she said deal so I went a little more scientifically, I've had the C&L and the Granetelli air intakes FLOW TESTED and the results were just about what I figured.

I dont want to give out the info yet as I'm putting it all together for a nice post. It'll be up soon with pictures.

Thanks, Doug.
This should be good, I've been wondering about this for a while!! Finally a diffinitive answer on whose intake flows more air....waiting patiently.
Old 10/24/06, 05:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug904
Nope, he's running the C&L 85mm Street Aluminum tune that I use. When I called JR and asked him if he had some tuning info he just said to use the C&L MAF adjustments and it works fine. After he said this I started doing some research on them and finally placed an order for one. Then once they arrived I thought about the dyno and the tuning but then I thought, this would be a he said she said deal so I went a little more scientifically, I've had the C&L and the Granetelli air intakes FLOW TESTED and the results were just about what I figured.

I dont want to give out the info yet as I'm putting it all together for a nice post. It'll be up soon with pictures.

Thanks, Doug.
Well??
Old 10/24/06, 06:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Where-ya at Jr.?
Old 10/24/06, 07:52 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also very interested to see the results. Doug don't keep us in suspense....wondering what difference the tunes will be from the C&L.
interesting........
Old 10/24/06, 09:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

The C&L racer version is 95mm. diameter not 90mm.
Yeah you're right, my goof. Been a while since I looked at it.

The JLT CAI is 88mm
I believe my JLT I without the reinforcement insert is 88.9mm (3.5")...most seem to refer to it as a "90".

Looking forward to it!!
Old 10/25/06, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Just put on the GMS CAI w/MAF and the car started right up. The only thing was that I had an alarm, "Tire Pressure Monitor Fault". This came on everytime I started the car, but I checked the tires and all seemed fine. I took it around the block and the alarm went away and hasn't come back yet. Is this normal?? Has anyone else had this problem? Just curious. I love the sound and the extra zip the car has now. Now I have to think about the next mod.....hmmmm.

Joe
Old 10/25/06, 08:04 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you unhook the battery when you did the install? The TPMS reset's itself if the power is cut, and just like when a tire get's replaced/repaired, it goes away after 2 minutes of driving. I've done both already, and the first time (tire relacement) it freaked me out, but about the time I got the manual out to check on it (before going back to the tire place) the light was out. Second time was when I put my GMS on, but by that time I was aware of the situation.

So the short answer is - it's normal.
Old 10/25/06, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks and yeah I unhook the battery as directed. I am glad. I do love the CAI and I appreciate your help.

Joe
Old 10/26/06, 07:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I did not experience anything like that... I did not disconnect the battery. I'm glad that it worked out for you though.
Old 11/6/06, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Houston, we have a problem. Got the CAI and installed it exactly per directions, and started up the car and noticed right away that the engine idled fast around 1k-1.1k RPM. Figured it was cold and the RPMs would come down. Then I start taking it down the parking lot and right around 20 mph....BAM! The car shuddered as limp-home mode was activated and the wrench lit up on my dash. So I stopped the car and restarted it and the wrench went away only to activate the next time i hit about 20. I kept driving anyway to see if it would go out but soon afterward the check engine light came on. I unplugged the negative battery cable before the install and tried yanking the power again after the check engine light came on with no change. The wrench still lights up at about 15-20 MPH, or about 40 seconds of driving. Any ideas what's going on? Defective MAF?
Old 11/6/06, 04:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
Houston, we have a problem. Got the CAI and installed it exactly per directions, and started up the car and noticed right away that the engine idled fast around 1k-1.1k RPM. Figured it was cold and the RPMs would come down. Then I start taking it down the parking lot and right around 20 mph....BAM! The car shuddered as limp-home mode was activated and the wrench lit up on my dash. So I stopped the car and restarted it and the wrench went away only to activate the next time i hit about 20. I kept driving anyway to see if it would go out but soon afterward the check engine light came on. I unplugged the negative battery cable before the install and tried yanking the power again after the check engine light came on with no change. The wrench still lights up at about 15-20 MPH, or about 40 seconds of driving. Any ideas what's going on? Defective MAF?
Hummm, MAybe they sent you an 07 MAF instead of 05-06 MAF. There is a difference... Not sure what the problem is.... Contact GMS, they'll remedy the problem regardless.
Old 11/6/06, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Check to make sure you put in the replacement MAF the right way inside the intake tube, with the airflow arrow pointing towards the throttle-body. Also did you put in the jumper harness.
Old 11/6/06, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the quick feedback. The MAF was pre-installed in the intake tube, installed in the right direction. The numbers on it are AFH60M-19, 6H05, and H38D. I also did use the jumper harness. One other thing that I'm wondering about is that the CAI came with 2 rubber hoses. A larger diameter one obviously for the breather hose, but then a much smaller one, maybe 1/4 inch or so. Anyone know what it's for? My only guess is an '07 thing or possibly for lining the inside of the cut out in the heatshield to prevent rattles. I reinstalled the stock intake for the time being and it runs fine, like nothing ever changed, check engine light went away and everything. Then i tried reinstalling the CAI but the same thing happened again.
Old 11/6/06, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I just installed mine not too long ago and I do not remember two hoses coming with the CAI. There was a breather hose, but that was all. I also unhooked the negative battery and the only alarm I had was a tire pressure alarm that cleared as soon as I drive it. The only problem I had was that the new metal box and the filter was a tight fit and I had to leave everything loose before I tighten it up. I would check the jumper to make sure the connections are tight. Just a thought.
Old 11/6/06, 05:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks for the quick feedback. The MAF was pre-installed in the intake tube, installed in the right direction. The numbers on it are AFH60M-19, 6H05, and H38D. I also did use the jumper harness. One other thing that I'm wondering about is that the CAI came with 2 rubber hoses. A larger diameter one obviously for the breather hose, but then a much smaller one, maybe 1/4 inch or so. Anyone know what it's for? My only guess is an '07 thing or possibly for lining the inside of the cut out in the heatshield to prevent rattles. I reinstalled the stock intake for the time being and it runs fine, like nothing ever changed, check engine light went away and everything. Then i tried reinstalling the CAI but the same thing happened again.
Two hoses... Should've only been the breather hose. Are you sure that it's not the heat shield hood sealer, for a lack of a better term... ? It wraps around the top of the heat shield. Send pics... Nonetheless, "that" wouldn't have caused the problem. Give Jr. a call... Maybe you can track him down, he has been MIA from this form for a while.
Old 11/6/06, 05:47 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
JR was here at SEMA all last week (saw him a couple times) but should be back now. Anyone there should be able to double check to see if you got the right MAF though.

Mine went on without a problem, hope you can get yours resolved soon.
Old 11/6/06, 06:02 PM
GT Member

I think the small 1/4 " hose you are talking about is split to go on the front edge of the air box. Mine worked fine but I did have a little trouble getting the jumper wire to connect. Did you check the hose connection at the throttle body for a good seal?
Old 11/6/06, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I would give them a call, it may be that you've gotten a bad harness, it isn't unheard of.
Old 11/6/06, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Two hoses... Should've only been the breather hose. Are you sure that it's not the heat shield hood sealer, for a lack of a better term... ? It wraps around the top of the heat shield. Send pics... Nonetheless, "that" wouldn't have caused the problem. Give Jr. a call... Maybe you can track him down, he has been MIA from this form for a while.
I'm thinking the smaller hose may be for the heat shield, but it isn't split and the wrong length. JR's apparently back, so hopefully i'll get some help with these problems.

Originally Posted by mtchstng
I think the small 1/4 " hose you are talking about is split to go on the front edge of the air box. Mine worked fine but I did have a little trouble getting the jumper wire to connect. Did you check the hose connection at the throttle body for a good seal?
I definitely checked all the seals. One of the hose clamps barely fit (the one over the intake tube), but did finally tighten down good and makes a solid seal. Also checked the filter and the breather hose.

Here are the pics:
Attachment 13400 Attachment 13401 Attachment 13402 Attachment 13403
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-dsc_0008.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-dsc_0010.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-dsc_0011.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-dsc_0019.jpg  
Old 11/6/06, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

It is hard to tell by the picture. But the hole in the heat shield should have a rubber seal on it.If it doesn't then I would assume that the hose should be split and added to the hole on the heat shield. This stops the heat shield from cutting into the filter housing. The heat shield that I recieved had the rubber seal already on the shield. I did not have to install it.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???