TMS Legacy Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here
Old 7/31/15, 06:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up Recalls last

Originally Posted by ford4v429
got notices today for all three of ours, they dont know when parts will be available... just thought though, I may have a problem...the undriven 09 isnt going anywhere, or just leave the original bomb in there- till if/when the time comes for that first drive
maybe they can(think that will be best) just do it later...I mean, back around 1990 I got a recall notice for my 69 mustang seatback levers...do recalls ever expire?
Well...
With my dad's Lincoln, we waited about 10 years before we bothered to do the recall that came out around 1999.
Old 8/1/15, 09:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Received my letter yesterday, my guess is parts will be available in a few months...maybe.
I got the letter yesterday also.
Old 10/17/15, 08:56 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I got another letter yesterday. Does this mean the parts are in.
Old 10/17/15, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by kd4gij
Well I got another letter yesterday. Does this mean the parts are in.
Did you READ the letter?
What did it say?

Old 10/17/15, 04:21 PM
GT Member

It just says
" According to our records, your 2006 mustang has not had necessary safety recalls repairs made. We urge you to have the free repair performed at your local dealership as soon as possible. " And the rest is just the standard format describing what is defective and what needs done.
Old 10/18/15, 03:47 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was wondering, is Ford still putting Takata airbags in 2015 Mustangs?
Old 10/27/15, 03:45 PM
GT Member

Ok today I got a letter stating that I was sent the recall letter in October my mistake. And It says that the recall has already been done.
Old 11/5/15, 03:29 PM
V6 Member

Received my airbag notice on my 08 Bullitt on 07/24/15. Still waiting for parts. What are owners to do if they use their Mustang daily? What a comforting thought, drive my Mustang with a possibility the airbag explodes and I get shrapnel in my forehead. Ford notifies us of a problem, with no quick resolution. Are they going to compensate Mustang owners for renting a car without recalls until this problem is resolved?
Old 11/5/15, 03:47 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why? They have the same darned Air-Bags in them also. This is not just a Ford, or American Car problem, it's world wide. What I've been hearing is that the propellant Takata used gets stronger as it ages, and with the plastic getting brittle with age, you have a nice weapon in front of you. And if Takata goes under because of this, it will never be fixed.
Old 11/5/15, 03:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by fmstang68
Received my airbag notice on my 08 Bullitt on 07/24/15. Still waiting for parts. What are owners to do if they use their Mustang daily? What a comforting thought, drive my Mustang with a possibility the airbag explodes and I get shrapnel in my forehead. Ford notifies us of a problem, with no quick resolution. Are they going to compensate Mustang owners for renting a car without recalls until this problem is resolved?
No they won't but feel free to rent whatever you'd like.

These airbag-recalled cars were considered completely safe until the problem started happening and the recall was made public.
What are the chances that the new or less-than 1-yr old rental might have a safety issue that just hasn't been made widely known yet?
You don't know, but you'll consider yourself safe just cuz you don't know about it.
Ignorance is bliss, huh?

I drive my car like I always have, knowing it has the recall on it.

Old 11/5/15, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Its OK, I love having shrapnel fly through my neck.
Old 11/6/15, 07:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
On 3/25/15 I had the airbag replaced in my 05 Mustang GT. I thought that took care of the problem. But then in July 2015 I got a letter from Ford stating "a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle with the VIN shown above" "When parts become available for Safety Recall 15S21 Ford will notify you via mail....to have the driver's frontal airbag inflator replaced."
As of today 11/6/15, I have not received any letter from Ford stating the parts are available. Does this mean that the replacement airbag I had installed back on 3/25/15 did not fix the problem? Maybe I need to call my dealer to find out why the replacement airbag did not solve the problem? I guess the replacement airbags had the same problem as the original one?
Old 11/6/15, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarpi
On 3/25/15 I had the airbag replaced in my 05 Mustang GT. I thought that took care of the problem. But then in July 2015 I got a letter from Ford stating "a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle with the VIN shown above" "When parts become available for Safety Recall 15S21 Ford will notify you via mail....to have the driver's frontal airbag inflator replaced."
As of today 11/6/15, I have not received any letter from Ford stating the parts are available. Does this mean that the replacement airbag I had installed back on 3/25/15 did not fix the problem? Maybe I need to call my dealer to find out why the replacement airbag did not solve the problem? I guess the replacement airbags had the same problem as the original one?

Back many many months ago now. A problem was discovered with a specific model made during a specific time period with Takata airbags. A small recall was issued, affecting two or three manufacturers, to replace said part. (This replacement part was later found to be the same defective part.)

Many months after that, yet many more months before the present. Takata, which makes airbags for like 3/4 of all cars produced in the world, has been found to have lied and covered up its issues. This has resulted in a recall that effects hundreds of millions of cars from multiple manufacturers. (Ford, Chevy, Mazda, VW, BMW, Mercedes, are just a few of the parent manufacturers affected.)

Now Takata is being tasked by auto makers and governments from around the world to replace the hundreds of millions of bad air bags, and they still have to continue to make airbags for new cars as well. There is not sufficient manufacturing capacity to do both in a timely manner. So the company has to continue to make new airbags to have enough profit to make replacements for the defective ones. This company goes bankrupt and I guarantee it will take a lot longer to get your airbag replaced with A non defective unit.

It has been 10 months since my letter, and I drive my car everyday. I will continue to drive it every day. (The defect only causes an issue in 1-2% of front end collision accidents.)

I suspect I could be waiting another 10-12 months before I receive another letter from Ford.
Old 11/6/15, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I just saw a piece that Honda, which is another manufacturer affected by the recall, has dropped Takata as their supplier of air bags. It didn't say who they have gone with. Also, Takata was fined $70 million by the feds over the air bag inflater issue.
Old 11/6/15, 10:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
I just saw a piece that Honda, which is another manufacturer affected by the recall, has dropped Takata as their supplier of air bags. It didn't say who they have gone with. Also, Takata was fined $70 million by the feds over the air bag inflater issue.
Federal fines make me laugh. The federal government will fine a company for wrong doing against the consumer, but where does that money go, and for what? I doubt it will go to the individuals who have been harmed by the defective part.

To me that is just 70 million dollars that can't be used to replace the defective parts.
Old 11/6/15, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
No argument there. It will be interesting to see if any other car makers dump Takata.
Old 11/6/15, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Just read an article about the fine and Honda. NHTSA wants every car in the U.S. Fixed by 2019.

So yea, we can all expect it's going to take a while to find resolution.

Last edited by lowblustang00; 11/6/15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11/6/15, 04:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Well I hope my replacement airbag doesn't blow while I'm waiting for the new parts to come in for the third one. I love driving my car so I guess just drive and not think about the airbag. It's a little unnerving knowing that I may be driving around with a defective airbag. Especially since it has been replaced once.
Old 11/6/15, 08:17 PM
GT Member

Well like I said I got the first letter before they went nation wide as I live in Florida. I had the recall done the first of July. Then the first of September I got the letter stating that there is a recall on my car but they didn't have parts yet. The first of October I got another later stating that I had not got the recall 14B09 done yet and they urge to get it done right away. 1 weak later I got a letter stating that the letter letters I got earlier where sent in error and my replacement air bag inflator was good. And I should disregard the earlier notice.

I was hoping the ford rep the post in this thread could confirm if the replacement part is in fact good.

I just checked the website and it shows I need NHTSA 15V319 Ford 15S21
14B09 was the first recall. for the same part.

Last edited by kd4gij; 11/6/15 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford takes airbag recall national