2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford takes airbag recall national

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/18, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After several tries, dealer finally changed my passenger side airbag inflator per recall. Took about an hour. Had two other appointments and they cancelled due to lack of parts.
Finally got it done. Now I can drive with a passenger without worrying about killing them.
Old 4/19/18, 06:00 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Don't know if anyone has asked this question, but is re-flashing back to stock recommended before having the replacement parts installed for the passenger side airbag? I'm not sure as to whether or not Ford will be required to update the stock/original ECM programming with a revised version as a requirement for the airbag replacement parts. If so, should I re-flash back to original factory stock first, then have Ford upload the updated OEM files before re-loading my current Brenspeed tunes :shrug:
Old 4/19/18, 06:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I didn't reflash to stock for either the drivers or passengers side and had no issues.
The dealer didn't say anything about it and they know me and know I have a tune.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (4/19/18)
Old 4/19/18, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Gary as I just wanted to make certain before heading up to the dealership for the airbag replacement

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/19/18 at 06:12 PM.
Old 4/19/18, 06:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Thanks for the heads up, Gary as I just wanted to make certain before heading up to the dealership for the airbag replacement
Just be careful
If the dealership doesn't know you and doesn't know you have a tune, They might screw with things thinking that they are helping you with an upgraded flash. If they just want you out of there quick, they won't mess with the flash.
Personally, I would lean towards putting it back to stock.
Then I would have my tuner fix things later if they mess with anything.
That being said...
I am speaking my personal situation, rather than true knowledge.
You know I am more scared of having the airbag replaced than the airbag explode.
m05fastbackGT (4/19/18)
Old 4/19/18, 07:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
The recall doesn't call for a module re-flash.
It pays .3-.5 of an hour, depending on car model and whether it's driver-side of passenger side.
No tech will take it upon themselves to add work to themselves, work they won't get paid for.

There are cars out there, like any one running a blower that didn't come from the factory with that blower, that can't be flashed back to stock, the car won't run, especially if different injectors are installed.

Rocky, I wouldn't do any kind of flashing prior to heading in for the recall.
When you check in at the service department, tell the Advisor writing you up that the car is modified and politely deny any complimentary services they might offer, like multi-point inspections or anything else.
At the same time you can mention that you don't want anybody hooking up anything to the PCM since it might make the car undrivable.
The tech will actually be happier since he doesn't have to put the car up in the air to do something for nothing.
m05fastbackGT (4/19/18)
Old 4/19/18, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by karman
Just be careful
If the dealership doesn't know you and doesn't know you have a tune, They might screw with things thinking that they are helping you with an upgraded flash. If they just want you out of there quick, they won't mess with the flash.
Personally, I would lean towards putting it back to stock.
Then I would have my tuner fix things later if they mess with anything.
That being said...
I am speaking my personal situation, rather than true knowledge.
You know I am more scared of having the airbag replaced than the airbag explode.
The dealership I always take my car in for servicing is the same Ford dealership that installed my Saleen blower, so they're very familiar with me as a customer and know my car's history, However, I always remind the service advisors to not ever update my car with a factory updated flash unless they get authorization from me first.

I also remind them that the only factory flash I can return back to is the one I have thru Saleen. Therefore even if I wanted to return back to original factory stock, I'm not able to as Saleen requires the owner to ship the vehicle's PCM to be re-flashed with their OEM calibration. Once that's done, you can no longer re-flash back to original OEM/stock.

So needless to say, I'm always very careful/cautious and I thank you very much for all your feedback and support

Originally Posted by Gabe
The recall doesn't call for a module re-flash.
It pays .3-.5 of an hour, depending on car model and whether it's driver-side of passenger side.
No tech will take it upon themselves to add work to themselves, work they won't get paid for.

There are cars out there, like any one running a blower that didn't come from the factory with that blower, that can't be flashed back to stock, the car won't run, especially if different injectors are installed.

Rocky, I wouldn't do any kind of flashing prior to heading in for the recall.
When you check in at the service department, tell the Advisor writing you up that the car is modified and politely deny any complimentary services they might offer, like multi-point inspections or anything else.
At the same time you can mention that you don't want anybody hooking up anything to the PCM since it might make the car undrivable.
The tech will actually be happier since he doesn't have to put the car up in the air to do something for nothing.
Gabe, as you well know, ever since Saleen re-flashed my PCM over 12 years ago, I'm not able to return back to original OEM stock anyhow, so that was my reason for concern. As I also mentioned in response to Karman's post, I always take my car back to the same dealership that installed my Saleen blower and always remind them not to ever flash my car's PCM with an updated OEM flash due to the fact that I cannot run any type of factory tune other than Saleen. Therefore you can most definitely count on reminding them about the car being modified and don't want anybody hooking anything up to the PCM as doing so will indeed make the car undrivable.

In the meantime, thank you once again for keeping me up to speed
Old 4/20/18, 01:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You're welcome Rocky.

Yesterday I got the wife's Shelby scheduled for Monday morning with the dealership she bought it from.
Dealt directly with the service manager, who's a very good friend of a friend of mine.
Part is held with my wife's name on it, they know we're gonna wait, and it's supposed to be a beautiful sunny day with temps in the 60's, an hour drive each way should be nice too
m05fastbackGT (4/20/18)
Old 4/20/18, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gabe
You're welcome Rocky.

Yesterday I got the wife's Shelby scheduled for Monday morning with the dealership she bought it from.
Dealt directly with the service manager, who's a very good friend of a friend of mine.
Part is held with my wife's name on it, they know we're gonna wait, and it's supposed to be a beautiful sunny day with temps in the 60's, an hour drive each way should be nice too
That's also what I'm waiting for as well Gabe, as I don't take my car out unless it's 60 degrees and above with dry conditions. My dealership also takes nearly an hour to drive, not so much distance-wise, but because here in Pittsburgh rush hour traffic is very unpredictable and can begin anywhere between 1 PM- 4 PM on any given weekday in the afternoon. During the morning hours are far much worse and won't even consider taking my car out then only to end up getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic lol.

I'm also very pleased that your parts finally came in and will be getting them installed on Monday. And yes, it most definitely helps when knowing that your dealership's service manager is also a very good friend that will have your back for sure
Old 4/22/18, 08:43 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just tell them when I take mine in that it has a custom tune DO NOT FLASH THE PCM and have them wright it on the work order. That is what I do and have had no issues.
Most will run the vin and if there is updates they can get paid my ford to install them
m05fastbackGT (4/22/18)
Old 4/22/18, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by kd4gij
I just tell them when I take mine in that it has a custom tune DO NOT FLASH THE PCM and have them wright it on the work order. That is what I do and have had no issues.
Most will run the vin and if there is updates they can get paid my ford to install them
I always do tell them just for that reason. My original concern was that a re-flash may have also been required for the airbag modules along with the replacement parts. Now that I've been brought up to full speed that no re-flashes are required, that's at least one less thing to be concerned about lol.
Old 4/23/18, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Got the recall done on the passenger side airbag on the wife's Shelby today.
In and out in about 90 minutes.
And I think it only took that long cuz it took about 45 minutes for it to get dispatched.
m05fastbackGT (4/23/18)
Old 4/23/18, 06:53 PM

Definitely great news Gabe, congrats
Gabe (4/23/18)
Old 4/27/18, 08:56 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ZGrand
2/22/18. I called my local dealer and they said they had a few replacement passenger-side airbags in. I made an appointment and had it replaced this morning. In and out in about 50 minutes. Now I can feel safe with someone riding in the passenger seat again.

2/23. Well - scratch that! The dealer called this morning and said even though it fit, they had installed an inflator with the wrong part number and they needed to re-install my old inflator until the correct new part came in. What a pain.....

To be continued.
Finally got the passenger side inflator replaced this morning. I talked to the tech who did the install about the airbag panels not sitting flush with the rest of the dash. He said they were all turning out that way, and there was no way to adjust anything. Mine sits up about 3/32". They got the service manager to talk to me about it -- he confirmed his own personal Mustang was the same after they replaced his inflator. Apparently nothing they can do (or know to do) about it.

Anyway, glad its finally done.

Last edited by ZGrand; 4/27/18 at 06:13 PM.
Old 4/27/18, 04:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ZGrand
Finally got the passenger side inflator replaced this morning. I talked to the tech who did the install about the airbag panels not sitting flush with the rest of the dash. He said they were all turning out that way, and there was no way to adjust anything. Mine sits up about 3/32". The got the service manager to talk to me about it -- he confirmed his own personal Mustang was the same after they replaced his inflator. Apparently nothing they can do (or know to do) about it.
One more reason for me not to do this.
Old 4/27/18, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by karman
One more reason for me not to do this.
Apparently that tech is screwing up every car he touches.
Just had my wife's car done and no issues.
Dashboard panels back together the way they were when we went in.
Old 4/27/18, 10:23 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Not looking forward to this if the panels are gonna be off!!!
Old 4/28/18, 05:03 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravydog316
My dad said maybe they are putting them in backwards,
so if you are in an accident,
it will suck & eject your wife out of her seat like an ejector seat ...

my dad is grounded now lol
Old 4/28/18, 05:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

There should be no reason for the panel to not fit properly after the recall's done, unless the 800-pound gorilla putting it back together is just smashing it back in.
It has tabs that line up "just so"

m05fastbackGT (4/28/18)
Old 5/6/18, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally got my passenger side inflator replaced. No issue of the panel, looks perfect, just like before procedure was done.

Quick Reply: Ford takes airbag recall national