Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

'13-14 Cluster into '10-12 car (with TrackApps) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/13, 05:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 10MustangGT
So no chance at all of track apps?
Don't know yet. dmhines doesn't have it. We'll see if I do or don't in a couple days. My cluster is here, but I have to pick it up tomorrow.
Old 4/9/13, 05:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotcha. You guys are doing great work. I know all of us "challenged" people really look up to you all for what you do. Thank you very much!
Old 4/9/13, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
No experience here but glad to have you in this thread ... Apparantly SCT can't turn off PATS so I have been starting my Car with 2012 cluster and then swapping in the 2013 cluster while car is running. Are you thinking the track apps will be enabled once I have the PATS relearned and I start the car with the 2013 cluster installed? Or is there more too it than that?

First... Re syncing build data to the cluster.. i'm not quiet sure how that would play out... The best solution would disable the theft integrity check in the ECU itself. This is possible with aftermarket tuning suites. Where did you get your tune to disable PATS? I assume your using a X3 with custom tunes?

Lets talk a little about how modules in our cars communicate.

There are two busses which form networks in our mustangs. One is a Hi-Speed Controller Area Network Bus (HS-CAN) 500kbs the other is called Medium-Speed Controller Area Network Bus (MS-CAN) 125kbs (more like 110 of spec).

HS-CAN creates a network between the ECU, ABSM, ABU, and speed critical networks.

MS-CAN is a network between modules that have less critical functions. Infotainment, cluster, switch modules, FIC... etc.

So, information is constantly transferred on these buses. Its not a call and response system, but rather each module is programmed to transmit certain data at a frequency. For example, Steering wheel angle is transmitted at 6Hz, but can go up to 90Hz, engine speed, 4Hz up to 60Hz, accelerator pedal position 60Hz, and so on.

So what does this mean for what your doing? Easy, So the information like the AFR (wideband) is transmitted, but its sent in a HS format rather than MS since our 2010-12 cars do not have a gauge read out for it. The solution? Read the HS data, re introduce it to the MSBUS in a format that the gauge cluster will understand.

Also, All control information travels of the MSBUS, for instance, You press the A/C on button. It sends a command on the MSBUS and a specific module pics up on this command and does what its Instructed.

I'm trying not to go to far into CAN protocol itself, but can if need be.

Is this easy to do? No. Can it be done? Yes! That's what i'm here for!

I hope i have answered some of the unknowns. A video is going to follow shortly (1hr or so).

Ford will frown on me/this i'm sure. Doing this will void your warranty
Old 4/9/13, 06:13 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We won't tell. Great info, thanks for your help
Old 4/9/13, 06:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bama at AM sent me tune. They said they checked option to disable PATS. Loaded tune and Didnt work.
Old 4/9/13, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm not telling, anyway.

Long story short, Track Apps won't work without reintroducing the data?

dmhines, everything else but Track Apps works?

Cheers
Old 4/9/13, 06:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
I'm not telling, anyway.

Long story short, Track Apps won't work without reintroducing the data?

dmhines, everything else but Track Apps works?

Cheers
Yes. As far as I can tell. Hopefully zeroaviation can tell us why it's missing.
Old 4/9/13, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wfzf...ature=youtu.be

how do you wrap a youtube link?
Old 4/9/13, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroaviation
FTW, I'm out of the bumper-to-bumper!!!!!

Originally Posted by jim010
I got muy service guy to print off the cruise control with resistor values. I have different values than below for a 2013, assuming I'm reading it right.
What do you have for the values?
Old 4/9/13, 06:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I believe track apps will need to be activated if you will at key on. Like the video above you will need to do CANBUS injection to do so.

I have never worked on one of these modules before. I'm sure it can be figured out quiet easily. Does anyone know where to locate one of these guys? (The cluster).

Basically, I'll need to find a 13/14 GT, read the can bus signals sent to the Cluster, then bench test the cluster, flood with the same signals, and find which one activates the Track apps. Its very doable, just need to locate a cluster, and a 13/14 car.

-Matt
Old 4/9/13, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
We won't tell. Great info, thanks for your help
I know you guys wont, my only concern is Fords legal team But i'm in the same boat as you guys I have a 12, its paid off. I dont want to upgrade effin cars just to get the newest features. Its stupid SLT b/s.

-Matt
Old 4/9/13, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Assuming I'm reading it right.

I don't have the 2012 values, but my schematics for 2013 that I got today have:

on/off 301
set - 301
set + 511
cancel/resume 1k/2.21k

Originally Posted by Greg2011
What do you have for the values?
Off: Short
On: 2.11 K
Set -: 300
Set +: 600
Res: 1.11 K
Cncl: N/A

Off: Short
On: Short
Set -: 120
Set +: 300
Res: 600
Cncl: 600

Last edited by jim010; 4/9/13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 4/9/13, 07:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I believe track apps will need to be activated if you will at key on. Like the video above you will need to do CANBUS injection to do so.

I have never worked on one of these modules before. I'm sure it can be figured out quiet easily. Does anyone know where to locate one of these guys? (The cluster).

Basically, I'll need to find a 13/14 GT, read the can bus signals sent to the Cluster, then bench test the cluster, flood with the same signals, and find which one activates the Track apps. Its very doable, just need to locate a cluster, and a 13/14 car.

-Matt
I have not yet been able to start the car with the 2013 cluster installed .. so perhaps that is why it is not enabled.

FYI .. I just took car for a ride with 2013 cluster. When I pressed MAP button on EP to bring up GPS .. I got an error saying something about Navigation error and bring car to dealership. Also said Navigation may work but have errors. Weird ... what does cluster have to do with Navigation? Maybe Cluster came out of a Non-Nav Car? Maybe I'll get VIN for a 2013 Premium with Nav and have Tech use that and load AS Built Data.
Old 4/9/13, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have not yet been able to start the car with the 2013 cluster installed .. so perhaps that is why it is not enabled.

FYI .. I just took car for a ride with 2013 cluster. When I pressed MAP button on EP to bring up GPS .. I got an error saying something about Navigation error and bring car to dealership. Also said Navigation may work but have errors. Weird ... what does cluster have to do with Navigation? Maybe Cluster came out of a Non-Nav Car? Maybe I'll get VIN for a 2013 Premium with Nav and have Tech use that and load AS Built Data.
Its probable but not likely. I think its going to be a msg only a 13/14 car will deliver. Does that make sense? I have a habit of rattling off tech info not sure if the people listening are understanding. >_<

It might have sent out a certain msg, and was expecting a response, or received a response it didn't not recognize, so therefore thew an exception.
Old 4/9/13, 07:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Its probable but not likely. I think its going to be a msg only a 13/14 car will deliver. Does that make sense? I have a habit of rattling off tech info not sure if the people listening are understanding. >_<

It might have sent out a certain msg, and was expecting a response, or received a response it didn't not recognize, so therefore thew an exception.
So you think Ford purposely disabled Track Apps in Pre-2013 cars?

I personally don't care about Track Apps .. I would rarely if ever use the feature. But I do like Hi-Tech and the LCD display for all of the feature settings and warning messages beats the heck out the LED display in my 2012!

Last edited by dmhines; 4/9/13 at 07:26 PM.
Old 4/9/13, 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

So you think Ford purposely disabled Track Apps in Pre-2013 cars?
No, I think the signal sent by the BCM in the 13 is lacking from the 12.

For instance, the 13 gauge cluster is listening for a message to enable track apps. The 13 BCM sends this message by default as soon as you turn the key. The 12 is lacking this signal, so track apps are never enabled.

I'm searching trying to locate a 13/14 cluster. If i can get one in my hands shouldn't take me long to find out what msg is lacking

-Matt
Old 4/9/13, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a habit of rattling off tech info not sure if the people listening are understanding. >_<
I'm following you. I have an '11 and that didn't even have the visors with the lighted mirrors and garage door opener. Granted that wasn't even that complicated of a swap but shouldn't have needed to tear into a new car for it. I'm not about to trade the car I love for a couple of wiz-bang electronic features.

On a side note, I'm on the road tomorrow so I'm out of the discussion for now. I'll check in with you guys later.
Old 4/9/13, 07:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

What I'm saying is the Track Apps feature should be there at POWER ON to the cluster no matter what. Why would Ford require a CanBus signal to enable it? The only reason would be in case somebody like us tried to put in a pre-2013 car. Heck .. Ford could have required a 2013 BCM signal to enable the entire LCD if they really wanted to spoil our fun.

No, I think the signal sent by the BCM in the 13 is lacking from the 12.

For instance, the 13 gauge cluster is listening for a message to enable track apps. The 13 BCM sends this message by default as soon as you turn the key. The 12 is lacking this signal, so track apps are never enabled.

I'm searching trying to locate a 13/14 cluster. If i can get one in my hands shouldn't take me long to find out what msg is lacking

-Matt
Old 4/9/13, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

What I'm saying is the Track Apps feature should be there at POWER ON to the cluster no matter what. Why would Ford require a CanBus signal to enable it? The only reason would be in case somebody like us tried to put in a pre-2013 car. Heck .. Ford could have required a 2013 BCM signal to enable the entire LCD if they really wanted to spoil our fun.
True! All valid points!

Its all about code/assembly re-use. Lets take the 2013 F150 for example, it has almost an identical display setup (Lcd, lcd driver, microcontroller. It uses the exact same assemblies(code) that the lcd module in the mustang uses. So how does the LCD module know if its in a F150 or a Mustang?

This is done to cut down labor / Manufacturing costs. It also helps with code base maintenance... If i find a error in the List control of the main UI, that is something shared across both UI's. So I can update the one control, then we are fixed across all vehicles that use that code base.

Ford = Agile.
Old 4/9/13, 07:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

True! All valid points!

Its all about code/assembly re-use. Lets take the 2013 F150 for example, it has almost an identical display setup (Lcd, lcd driver, microcontroller. It uses the exact same assemblies(code) that the lcd module in the mustang uses. So how does the LCD module know if its in a F150 or a Mustang?

This is done to cut down labor / Manufacturing costs. It also helps with code base maintenance... If i find a error in the List control of the main UI, that is something shared across both UI's. So I can update the one control, then we are fixed across all vehicles that use that code base.

Ford = Agile.
That makes sense if indeed Ford is Sharing the LCD module between product lines.

Quick Reply: '13-14 Cluster into '10-12 car (with TrackApps) retrofit