5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/14, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: If looking at a used 2013 or 2014 on a dealer lot, is there a way to visually see if the car has the Track Key or Track Cal tune? If either are done outside the dealer, is it required by FRPP to log the VIN while accessing the download from their website?

Track Cal Example: Are there any gauge signals given when disabling the lopey idle (holding cruise on/off button down) during start-up?

I purchased mine used from a ford dealer and am curious how I would find out if it has the Track Cal.

I imagine many dealers would not want to disclose this, if they were even aware, because it would make it appear the car has been abused. I just can't see a dealer saying oh by the way it's got a Track Key too. Or, Oh Yeah the car has a High Perf. tuning program loaded in place of the factory loaded computer program.
Old 10/2/14, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by VADER
Question: If looking at a used 2013 or 2014 on a dealer lot, is there a way to visually see if the car has the Track Key or Track Cal tune? If either are done outside the dealer, is it required by FRPP to log the VIN while accessing the download from their website?

Track Cal Example: Are there any gauge signals given when disabling the lopey idle (holding cruise on/off button down) during start-up?

I purchased mine used from a ford dealer and am curious how I would find out if it has the Track Cal.

I imagine many dealers would not want to disclose this, if they were even aware, because it would make it appear the car has been abused. I just can't see a dealer saying oh by the way it's got a Track Key too. Or, Oh Yeah the car has a High Perf. tuning program loaded in place of the factory loaded computer program.

If it was installed correctly it will have a Ford Racing decal under the hood somewhere with an OE number and part # for emissions. Same goes for the Pro-Cal FRPP tune. If your car has this you can Google the part # and see what you have.

If your car is a 2013 or a 2014 built before 7/1/2013 (Check your driver's door jamb) it will default to the lopey idle without any messages at all, once the engine is above 170 degrees for over 2 minutes and the engine then is revved quickly up above about 2500 or in most cases driven above that rpm. If yours is a 2014 built after 7/1/2013 it will tell you in the info center by asking you if you want to disable/enable the lopey idle. (This may happen after the enable criteria mentioned prior but I'm not sure. I just know it happens and I have also seen it on the Boss. Mine is the Track Cal as my car was built in 6 of 2003 so I don't get a message. Shut-off criteria for the early cars is hold the cruise control OFF button while starting. The tune will stay in and work, just no lopey idle)

Congrats on the new purchase by the way.

Last edited by bwkelley76; 10/2/14 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10/2/14, 04:39 AM

Update on my car, all is well, love the Track Cal and will never go back to stock. Occasional detonation under the right throttle "roll-in" conditions but not enough to make me want to activate the octane adjust feature just yet.

I have noticed also the occasional "re-set" of the lopey idle back to the smooth idle for another 2 minutes if I'm "lugging" the car in a parking lot too much. Probably a default in the program or a "my-fault" for lugging the engine too much.

I noticed some talk about the Track Key recipients having a similar problem as well. One difference in my case is The Track Cal does not put up a message about the lopey idle like the Track Key does, so I don't get that problem, it just resets to smooth idle sometimes when lugging the engine. As mentioned by at least one other person, keeping the rpm's up seems to do the trick.

~Good Job FRPP! Loving the "New Normal"
Old 10/11/14, 08:01 PM

I got tired of the pinging and activated the octane adjust feature. (In CA we only have 91) The car no longer pings and it runs a bit snappier, runs better all-around. I'm sure this has everything to do with detonation causing the knock-sensors to remove timing. I'm not going to lie I thought the feature would have made it slower but it feels like it did just the opposite. ...I'm curious if anyone else can chime in on similar results??
Old 10/11/14, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by bwkelley76
I got tired of the pinging and activated the octane adjust feature. (In CA we only have 91) The car no longer pings and it runs a bit snappier, runs better all-around. I'm sure this has everything to do with detonation causing the knock-sensors to remove timing. I'm not going to lie I thought the feature would have made it slower but it feels like it did just the opposite. ...I'm curious if anyone else can chime in on similar results??
Do you have an oil separator?
Old 10/12/14, 07:42 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same.
In Colorado we have 91 octane as well. (Excluding race fuel at the track).
I recently set the octane adjust to "Yes" and it has made a huge positive difference.

Makes sense to me.
Old 10/13/14, 04:39 AM

Just a quick thought is your 91 octane gas (e10) 10%ethanol.or can you find straight 91 octane gas in your area if so and you have e85 in your area if you mix them in a 6:1 ratio you will have 93 octane e12.
There are multiple ethanol Calculators on line.

Last edited by GHIG50; 10/13/14 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10/13/14, 04:54 AM

Here is one of the Calculators.
I use this to mix e20 in a turbo car.
http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html
Old 10/13/14, 02:07 PM

I always fill with 93, but what would be a disadvantage of setting the octane adjust so 91 could be used if ever necessary??

Is the tune so precise that if set to the 91 octane setting you actually lose performance or cause sensor damage if 93 is used??
Old 10/13/14, 02:35 PM
V6 Member

Well, after 7 days of testing. 3 with the Track key and 4 without I have come to the POSITIVE conclusion that the Track key is indeed the reason my Ac blows warm and muggy air intermittently. I only work 1 mile from home so I wasn't able to drive the car enough to accurately diagnose the problem. But I took advantage of driving the car long distance the last 7 days because I have been on Jury duty all last week and again this week. About 20 miles each way and the 1st 3 days with the Track Key my Ac did what it always does and that is go to warm and muggy air especially when I am off the gas, coming to a stop or at idle. Final 4 days driving to the same destination I did not experience the issue 1 time. At all. So it's a fact that the Track Key tune is causing the problem with my Ac. Waiting to hear from Ford Racing to see what they can make of it. Anyways, just wanted to update everyone.
Old 10/14/14, 10:17 AM
V6 Member

How do you activate the octane adjust feature?
Old 10/14/14, 02:13 PM
V6 Member

You would need to have the Pro Cal tool which some of us have.
Old 10/14/14, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by OneBadGtCs
You can do the TracKey octane adjust with the ProCal tool? I thought you could only adjust the Track Cal and need the software...?
Old 10/16/14, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Do you have an oil separator?
Originally Posted by BBM3
I did the same.
In Colorado we have 91 octane as well. (Excluding race fuel at the track).
I recently set the octane adjust to "Yes" and it has made a huge positive difference.

Makes sense to me.
Originally Posted by GHIG50
Just a quick thought is your 91 octane gas (e10) 10%ethanol.or can you find straight 91 octane gas in your area if so and you have e85 in your area if you mix them in a 6:1 ratio you will have 93 octane e12.
There are multiple ethanol Calculators on line.
Originally Posted by GHIG50
Here is one of the Calculators.
I use this to mix e20 in a turbo car.
http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by gjcavana
How do you activate the octane adjust feature?
Originally Posted by OneBadGtCs
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
You can do the TracKey octane adjust with the ProCal tool? I thought you could only adjust the Track Cal and need the software...?

I do not have an oil separator but I may get one soon, just because I don't want the consumption and carbon issue. After some time (once the oil and carbon have a chance to clean out a bit) at that point I may test it with the octane adjust turned off and see if it still pings. As far as the octane adjust feature I do not know if the Track KEY gives the option to adjust it but you use the Pro Cal tuner to do it if you have the Track Cal. I would think it might work with both but not sure.
Old 10/16/14, 11:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
My engine is stock, minus my 3" Solo Performance catback. This was after 4k miles with my Bob's separator.
Attached Thumbnails Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013-image-4022832270.jpg  
Old 10/17/14, 09:53 AM

Track Cal in as of this morning - 2014 (early) GT/CS with 2200 miles.

First impression - Lopey Idle wasn't as pronounced as I expected (and others made it out to be). Very similar to the idle on my old Pontiac 455 T/A (which is good).

Best feature for me was better throttle feel. Only about 10 miles on way home but the lack of "slop" in the electronic throttle was noticeable. Coupled with my new MGW shifter, it made shifting MUCH more precise, smooth, etc.

More to come - at least until the weather craps out for the winter on us.
Old 10/17/14, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by joejakegrace
Track Cal in as of this morning - 2014 (early) GT/CS with 2200 miles. First impression - Lopey Idle wasn't as pronounced as I expected (and others made it out to be). Very similar to the idle on my old Pontiac 455 T/A (which is good). Best feature for me was better throttle feel. Only about 10 miles on way home but the lack of "slop" in the electronic throttle was noticeable. Coupled with my new MGW shifter, it made shifting MUCH more precise, smooth, etc. More to come - at least until the weather craps out for the winter on us.
I agree with everything you mentioned with one exception. My lopey idle changes for time to time. Sometimes it is not so noticeable and sometimes my car is shaking like two spark plugs are unplugged. I have only had the track key for two days but have started and stopped the car about 10 times and it has to re-enable each time.
Old 10/17/14, 06:23 PM
V6 Member

Quad Exhaust

I downloaded all instructions for both Trackey installations , it's say's the Lopey Idle sounds better with Quad Exhaust so, Will it Void warranty if I put Quads on my 2014 1 /2 GT Does anyone know ?

Last edited by SMOKE46; 10/17/14 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10/18/14, 11:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by joejakegrace
Track Cal in as of this morning - 2014 (early) GT/CS with 2200 miles.

First impression - Lopey Idle wasn't as pronounced as I expected (and others made it out to be). Very similar to the idle on my old Pontiac 455 T/A (which is good).

Best feature for me was better throttle feel. Only about 10 miles on way home but the lack of "slop" in the electronic throttle was noticeable. Coupled with my new MGW shifter, it made shifting MUCH more precise, smooth, etc.

More to come - at least until the weather craps out for the winter on us.
Lopey idle on my car works great. Very very noticeable. Especially if the AC is off because the car idles at a slightly less RPM. But yes, when at a stop my lopey idle shakes every time and sounds amazing.
Old 10/18/14, 11:46 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SMOKE46
I downloaded all instructions for both Trackey installations , it's say's the Lopey Idle sounds better with Quad Exhaust so, Will it Void warranty if I put Quads on my 2014 1 /2 GT Does anyone know ?
No, it will not void your warranty.

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013