Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/14, 05:03 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by solscooter
I'm wondering if I can use the procal to change the tire size for both regular and track key. This would be a big help when I have the funds to upgrade wheels and tires
That is a good question!

Unless Ray or Mike answer. I'll give it a try and then use a GPS to confirm.
Old 7/28/14, 05:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
For the dealer install. They charge around that when I could do it at home in minutes for free.

I feel like we already pay for the tune and voucher and tool. We shouldn't have to pay for install. Especially since the charge is inconsistent.

Worst case, FRPP should charge a bit more for the pkg and include install. That would avoid a ton of hassle and dealer rip offs.
Nothing else Ford Racing sells includes installation cost for many good reasons.

Last edited by BBM3; 7/28/14 at 05:11 PM.
Old 7/28/14, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BBM3
Nothing else Ford Racing sells includes installation cost for many good reasons.
I understand that. But IMO, installing an exhaust, or s/c'r or suspension is very different from plug, push some buttons, done.

FRPP needs the install done by a dealer on shocks for example bc if they blow out and you did it yourself, they could have been installed wrong. Vs a dealer being responsible, install wrong or not.

The tune however either works or doesn't. It's not like you install it and then jack up the timing and blow the motor. It's a locked tune.

In conclusion, a warranty item on a part could be affected by install. A tune can not.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/28/14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 7/28/14, 05:25 PM
GT Member

I understand that. But IMO, installing an exhaust, or s/c'r or suspension is very different from plug, push some buttons, done.

FRPP needs the install done by a dealer on shocks for example bc if the blow out and you did it yourself, they could have been installed wrong. Vs a dealer being responsible, install wrong or not.

The tune however either works or doesn't. It's not like you install it and then jack up the timing and blow the motor. It's a locked tune.

In conclusion, a warranty item on a part could be affected by install. A tune could not.
So if a customer disconnects the programmer, losses battery power, or turns the key off in the middle of the upload by mistake and hoses their PCM requiring a tow to the dealer should Ford Racing cover the expense?

I think Ford Racing has stuck their neck out far enough allowing us early TracKey owners to do this upgrade ourselves.
Old 7/28/14, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name:  20140728_175352.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  181.9 KB

Name:  20140728_180009.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  197.2 KB
Old 7/28/14, 07:10 PM
V6 Member

So if a customer disconnects the programmer, losses battery power, or turns the key off in the middle of the upload by mistake and hoses their PCM requiring a tow to the dealer should Ford Racing cover the expense?

I think Ford Racing has stuck their neck out far enough allowing us early TracKey owners to do this upgrade ourselves.
I agree. Not worth it messing up the pcm. Aside from my 3 trips to the dealer I am happy with how Ford racing has handled things. I would like the answer to that question about changing tire size with the tool later on. Be good to know.
Old 7/28/14, 07:12 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by WNRacing

How did it go?
Did you do it on your own or did Ford racing help you out?
Did you happen to see options for tire size etc?
Old 7/28/14, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OneBadGtCs
I agree. Not worth it messing up the pcm. Aside from my 3 trips to the dealer I am happy with how Ford racing has handled things. I would like the answer to that question about changing tire size with the tool later on. Be good to know.
There is a spot for tire size. But it's not as simple as 20" or 18". You have to do some math. If I remember right, there is instructions explaining this on the install instructions.
Old 7/28/14, 07:36 PM

How did it go?
Did you do it on your own or did Ford racing help you out?
Did you happen to see options for tire size etc?
It's pretty simple, didn't have any issues.

You can adjust for wheel/tire size with it, but I'm not sure about there being a difference between the trackey and the regular key... If I had to guess I would say that it would not be able to differentiate between the two.
Old 7/28/14, 07:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by WNRacing
It's pretty simple, didn't have any issues.

You can adjust for wheel/tire size with it, but I'm not sure about there being a difference between the trackey and the regular key... If I had to guess I would say that it would not be able to differentiate between the two.
That's cool.
It knows the difference because when I put in the track key it displays it on the dash and says - For track use only.
Old 7/28/14, 08:02 PM
V6 Member

Something I don't get. How is the track cal dealer install different than the track key install??? Does the dealer use the procal tool to install the software instead of downloading the software? Yes I know the track cal is permanent all the time instead of key activated.
Old 7/28/14, 09:27 PM
GT Member

Something I don't get. How is the track cal dealer install different than the track key install??? Does the dealer use the procal tool to install the software instead of downloading the software? Yes I know the track cal is permanent all the time instead of key activated.
For the TracKey:
Tools Required:
• Battery charger
• VCM or VCM-II
• Laptop running Windows XP or Windows 7 with IDS version 89.01 or higher,
Internet Explorer, and reliable internet connectivity (we strongly recommend using a wired connection and plugging the laptop into an AC power source)

For the TrackCal:
Tools Required:
• Battery charger
• ProCal tool
Old 7/29/14, 05:05 AM
V6 Member

For the TracKey:
Tools Required:
• Battery charger
• VCM or VCM-II
• Laptop running Windows XP or Windows 7 with IDS version 89.01 or higher,
Internet Explorer, and reliable internet connectivity (we strongly recommend using a wired connection and plugging the laptop into an AC power source)

For the TrackCal:
Tools Required:
• Battery charger
• ProCal tool
Yes I got that but then why with the pro cal do you still need to go to the dealer??
Old 7/29/14, 06:37 AM

Ford mandates the calibration has to be installed at the Ford Dealer. It does not matter if you are using a Procal or Dealer Download.
Old 7/29/14, 06:39 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did the "Track Key" update this morning. The instructions were not great but it was pretty simple once I let the tool guide me. I used the Track Key during the process but I doubt it matters or Ford Racing would have made note.
I did not connect a charger as my battery had a full charge.
No issues. Cleared the CEL's and loaded the update. Car started up with no drama.

Will report back after putting miles on the car.

Thanks Ford Racing.

If you are concerned then you can call Ford Racing and they will walk you through the process while you are doing it.

Last edited by todcp; 7/29/14 at 06:41 AM.
Old 7/29/14, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by raysmust
Ford mandates the calibration has to be installed at the Ford Dealer. It does not matter if you are using a Procal or Dealer Download.
Ray, did the SD cards go out yet?
Old 7/29/14, 06:54 AM

Nice! So the dealer cut and programmed the key for no charge? Probably assumed you'd be back. Hahaha. So are they still getting a procal tool and track tune?

I have not yet paid the dealership as the plan was I was going to bring my car back to them today as a matter of fact, to do the rest of the install. Thus far, labor for cutting the key, programming it for my car, and installing the air filter, was $105. Then thy were wanting another $100 for the tune to be installed. I will do the tune my self, and pay them for cutting and programming my key, the $105. So instead of paying around $500 for all, I save 100 bucks and get a procal tool. Not bad.
My experiences with this dealership have been far less than a pleasure from the day I signed the papers on my car.

As for them getting a procal tool with the tune, I do not think so. From the impression I got, Mike had not yet shipped the tool out to the dealership.
Old 7/29/14, 06:57 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by zombietop
I have not yet paid the dealership as the plan was I was going to bring my car back to them today as a matter of fact, to do the rest of the install. Thus far, labor for cutting the key, programming it for my car, and installing the air filter, was $105. Then thy were wanting another $100 for the tune to be installed. I will do the tune my self, and pay them for cutting and programming my key, the $105. So instead of paying around $500 for all, I save 100 bucks and get a procal tool. Not bad.
My experiences with this dealership have been far less than a pleasure from the day I signed the papers on my car.

As for them getting a procal tool with the tune, I do not think so. From the impression I got, Mike had not yet shipped the tool out to the dealership.
Cmon now, you could have done that air filter lol.
Old 7/29/14, 07:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Im getting ready to order a track key. The one who installed there new update is everything seem to be working correctly? No CEL? What seems to be the best features of this?

Also There is a track keys for sale that was never installed if i purchase it will there be any issues?
Old 7/29/14, 07:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Im getting ready to order a track key. The one who installed there new update is everything seem to be working correctly? No CEL? What seems to be the best features of this?

Also There is a track keys for sale that was never installed if i purchase it will there be any issues?
It's to soon to tell. We have to put some miles on the cars to know if all is well.
Fyi, Tascaparts.com has the track key for 330.00 it's the cheapest that I have found. If you buy one from someone there shouldn't be a problem as long as they haven't cut the key and have the voucher. Other than that there isn't much to it. They should also have the air filter. I had a cold air intake so I didn't use the supplied K&N.

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013