5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/15, 10:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought mine from a local Ford dealer. When I first walked in and asked about it I was prepared to walk away if I felt that they were just telling me what I wanted to hear, but they knew exactly what I was talking about so I went with it. They did a great job and I had no issues. I think it's a hit or miss finding a dealer that is up on this kind of stuff.
Old 2/24/15, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
OK, so I called the number on buyfordracingfromdpm.com and a gent answered the phone "Diversified." I asked if this was "buyfordracing" and he said "buyfordracing.com is the name of our website." So I think I had the right place.

Anyway, after inquiring about the GT TracKey, he told me "We're not allowed to sell the GT TracKey, you have to buy that from an authorized Ford dealer."

Has something changed? Tasca will be my next stop.
I had great luck with Mike from buyfordracing.com
I did However purchase the trac cal tune that had to be installed with the procal tuner
Service was great and the price was the lowest around.
My dealer said they felt bad charging anything for the install bur had to charge something to put it into the computer for the warranty. I paid under $100 for the install.
Any questions on warranty or the tune be sure to call ford racing and ask for mike in the svt section .Another great guy to deal with.
Old 3/2/15, 11:10 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,144 Likes on 820 Posts
Well, pulled the trigger today. Called AutoNation and got it on it's way. Decided to add an additional track key to have a second set. Called in and they were great to work with on the phone. Great price on the Track key and the additonal as well. Can't get the extra key online, have to call in. Said to expect it by Wednesday or Thursday.

Before I ordered talked to the local dealers about ordering. Most were very near retail, say like $420 range. The dealer I purchased the car from was very up front and told me to order it online and they would take care of me when it got here. Said since they are not a Ford Racing Parts dealer they could not even buy it at the online price. Great parts guy!

One of the dealers made it clear that they would not install it for me unless they sold it to me. Not impressed by them at all. Not going to deal with those guys... Even though they were close to my work.

Unlike them, my dealer was awesome, guess that is why I bought the car from them. Hopefully the weather is going to hold out and I can get the car out in a week or so. Then to the dealer to get this and the boss exhaust installed. Maybe even add the QTP Cutouts. Should be a great season ahead!
Old 3/2/15, 11:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Well, pulled the trigger today. Called AutoNation and got it on it's way. Decided to add an additional track key to have a second set. Called in and they were great to work with on the phone. Great price on the Track key and the additonal as well. Can't get the extra key online, have to call in. Said to expect it by Wednesday or Thursday.
Can you still cancel your second order? You're paying for another software license that you don't need unless you have a second Mustang to install it on, and the second key is just another regular key with the Ford Racing logo (can't be a TracKey).

I respectfully submit that the second track key cannot be used as a track key. From the instruction sheet FAQs:

"Can more than one TracKey be programmed for a vehicle?"
No. Only one TracKey can exist for a given vehicle at a time.

"What if a customer loses the TracKey after programming?"
A new blank Ford Racing TracKey can be ordered from parts and service (164-R8104) at the customer's expense. It will then need to be cut, have PATS re-synched, and programmed as a TracKey by performing steps 2 through 20, also at the customer's expense. The PCM does not need to be reflashed again, and the customer does not need to purchase another M-14204-MGTTKA kit from Ford Racing. If the old TracKey is found, it will no longer work as a valid TracKey after the new key is programmed.

See page 10:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...tomer_V1.0.pdf
Old 3/3/15, 07:22 AM

Can you still cancel your second order? You're paying for another software license that you don't need unless you have a second Mustang to install it on, and the second key is just another regular key with the Ford Racing logo (can't be a TracKey).

I respectfully submit that the second track key cannot be used as a track key. From the instruction sheet FAQs:

"Can more than one TracKey be programmed for a vehicle?"
No. Only one TracKey can exist for a given vehicle at a time.

"What if a customer loses the TracKey after programming?"
A new blank Ford Racing TracKey can be ordered from parts and service (164-R8104) at the customer's expense. It will then need to be cut, have PATS re-synched, and programmed as a TracKey by performing steps 2 through 20, also at the customer's expense. The PCM does not need to be reflashed again, and the customer does not need to purchase another M-14204-MGTTKA kit from Ford Racing. If the old TracKey is found, it will no longer work as a valid TracKey after the new key is programmed.

See page 10:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...tomer_V1.0.pdf
Hum, interesting. Wonder why the parts guy did not say anything about this. I made it clear what I wanted. I will contact and see if it has shipped or if I can return. I guess at worst I have a $110 third standard key...

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 3/3/15, 07:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hum, interesting. Wonder why the parts guy did not say anything about this. I made it clear what I wanted. I will contact and see if it has shipped or if I can return. I guess at worst I have a $110 third standard key...

Thanks for the heads-up!
You're welcome.

Now that you mentioned the price though, it's clear he ordered the replacement key (hardware only), so at least you're not paying for the second software license if you get stuck with it. I don't feel so bad now.
Old 3/3/15, 09:43 AM

You're welcome.

Now that you mentioned the price though, it's clear he ordered the replacement key (hardware only), so at least you're not paying for the second software license if you get stuck with it. I don't feel so bad now.
Called and it has already shipped and expected to be delivered on Friday. Talked with Chris at AutoNation. He just assumed I just wanted a backup key. Guess I was not as clear on my intentions as I thought. He still very good to work with and has refered me to his contact at Ford Racing. He thought it was worth a shot and there might be a chance. Though from your info I do not think so, but I will give it a try.

Oh well, won't hurt to have an extra key... but would have been nice to save the cash, could have bought more toys. Could always return as long as I do not cut...

Thanks Again!
Old 3/3/15, 06:39 PM

Oh well, won't hurt to have an extra key... but would have been nice to save the cash, could have bought more toys. Could always return as long as I do not cut...

Thanks Again!
Hopefully you can return it. You'll already have 2 "standard" keys and the TracKey. Can't imagine the redundancy plan you have to want a 3 standard

The extra $110 would pay for install, or a passenger side oil separator, almost a strut tower brace, or......
Old 3/12/15, 11:40 AM

I have been following this for a while, like many others. It sounds like most people like the Trackey, that the latest revision fixed the bugs, and it's all good. Maybe not perfect... But nothing to be scared of.

I only found 1 post talking about performance. I might have missed it in the 800+ Sounds like the Trackey made about 0.3 seconds improvement at a 1/8 drag.

Has anybody tested this at a 1/4 track?

Thanks!
Old 3/12/15, 12:28 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jd864
I have been following this for a while, like many others. It sounds like most people like the Trackey, that the latest revision fixed the bugs, and it's all good. Maybe not perfect... But nothing to be scared of.

I only found 1 post talking about performance. I might have missed it in the 800+ Sounds like the Trackey made about 0.3 seconds improvement at a 1/8 drag.

Has anybody tested this at a 1/4 track?

Thanks!
Only peak 15 horsepower and added 60 Lbs of torque at low RPM. I doubt it makes much of a difference at a drag strip. The track key is for road racing/trackdays. Consider just the ProCal tune for drag strip or a non Ford tune for the drag strip.
Old 3/12/15, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by todcp
Only peak 15 horsepower and added 60 Lbs of torque at low RPM. I doubt it makes much of a difference at a drag strip. The track key is for road racing/trackdays. Consider just the ProCal tune for drag strip or a non Ford tune for the drag strip.
I have been to the Drag strip several times. The Mustangs with the Track key are about .25 seconds quicker than without. There is one that is almost .5 seconds quicker. I am not sure what else they have but it is a Gt Track car with track key. For a few hundred dollars it is well worth it. I just ordered mine with the GT 500 Mufflers going to find out.
Old 3/12/15, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I have been to the Drag strip several times. The Mustangs with the Track key are about .25 seconds quicker than without. There is one that is almost .5 seconds quicker. I am not sure what else they have but it is a Gt Track car with track key. For a few hundred dollars it is well worth it. I just ordered mine with the GT 500 Mufflers going to find out.
No offense, but .25 seconds is hardly noticeable to the eye.
On a 1/4 strip and a big time board yes it's a little more noticeable. I would say that the 1/4 of a second could be do to anything else; driver, sticker tires, better launch etc.
I'd like to see someone compare a stock GT to a GT with a track key. Dyno and a few laps around a track or few runs at the strip.

I doubt it'll make a HUGE difference in the times, but probably a heck of a lot in the "feel" and responsiveness of the cars.
Sometimes every little bit counts.
Old 3/12/15, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by SgtRedline
Hopefully you can return it. You'll already have 2 "standard" keys and the TracKey. Can't imagine the redundancy plan you have to want a 3 standard

The extra $110 would pay for install, or a passenger side oil separator, almost a strut tower brace, or......
Shipped it back, will be getting a full refund on the extra $110 key. Just cost me a little for shipping for the return. Worth it. Ford Racing confirmed that nothing has changed and only one key can be used to activate the performance tune. All other keys will load the standard factory tune.

Thanks for catching this and letting me know. Saved me from another key in the drawer...

Hope to get the Track Key Tune, Boss Side Pipes, and QTP Cutouts with wireless key fob like switch installed in the next week or so.

Pretty excited and looking forward to adding this to my car.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 3/12/15 at 10:35 PM.
Old 3/13/15, 02:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK, so I just got my car back today with the TracKey tune installed.

At first I didn't really notice a difference, but after driving it a bit it is definitely peppier, maybe tire-shreddingly so with the 3.73s. The annoying dive when I engage the clutch without revving is also gone. The sound is different as well, much more raw sounding and maybe a rock louder. More grunting and popping as well, but the Boss Side pipes may be a significant contributor there.

The lopey idle is... fairly lopey. It's almost like the idle is too high to really lope. I seem to remember lopey cars used to sound like they were barely running. The car shakes a little but it's not crazy.

I had a good time testing out launch control when I left the dealer. The pit lane speed control works well too, but it would be nice if you could set it while moving.

All in all a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 3/13/15, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
No offense, but .25 seconds is hardly noticeable to the eye.
On a 1/4 strip and a big time board yes it's a little more noticeable. I would say that the 1/4 of a second could be do to anything else; driver, sticker tires, better launch etc.
I'd like to see someone compare a stock GT to a GT with a track key. Dyno and a few laps around a track or few runs at the strip.

I doubt it'll make a HUGE difference in the times, but probably a heck of a lot in the "feel" and responsiveness of the cars.
Sometimes every little bit counts.
My track is 1/8 mile I forgot to mention that.That is a big difference. Will see I just received my GT 500 Mufflers and waiting for the track key. For less than a good CAI ( you also get a K&N drop in with the Key ) that is one of the best performance mods I have been able to find. The sound of the Loopy Ideal is fantastic.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 3/13/15 at 10:11 AM.
Old 3/13/15, 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by todcp
Several people have documented .3 - .5 difference in the 1/4 mile with only the ProCal.

And you do realize that the ProCal and track key are identical tunes except for the launch control and the looney idle right? The engine breaking, power, and throttle response are the same between the two. So to say one is for track and not good for strip while the other is good for strip make zero sense.
Old 3/13/15, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Several people have documented .3 - .5 difference in the 1/4 mile with only the ProCal. And you do realize that the ProCal and track key are identical tunes except for the launch control and the looney idle right? The engine breaking, power, and throttle response are the same between the two. So to say one is for track and not good for strip while the other is good for strip make zero sense.
I ordered the Procal tuner with the GT500 axle backs and the K&N filter last year. The only thing I wanted was the lopey idle. I was debating getting a cam tune, but then you have to run cat less pipes.
Old 3/14/15, 01:51 PM

I had my track key installed today. Thanks to everyone for the advice on the forum. No cel yet and I love it!.
Old 3/14/15, 08:23 PM

Shipped it back, will be getting a full refund on the extra $110 key. Just cost me a little for shipping for the return. Worth it. Ford Racing confirmed that nothing has changed and only one key can be used to activate the performance tune. All other keys will load the standard factory tune.

Thanks for catching this and letting me know. Saved me from another key in the drawer...

Hope to get the Track Key Tune, Boss Side Pipes, and QTP Cutouts with wireless key fob like switch installed in the next week or so.

Pretty excited and looking forward to adding this to my car.

Lucky you scoring some Boss Side Pipes. The well seems to have run dry on them and the few places with 1 or 2 left want over $1k.

As for the Trackey, now that I've had mine for a few weeks or so I love almost all the adjustments. Haven't been to the track to really get use from the racing features like 2 stage launch or pit speed control. Love the engine braking when taking back roads and cruising.

Things I'm not in love with:
To be fair, most of these are due to using the Trackey in morning/evening Baton Rouge rush hour traffic which is probably not the wisest choice.

Engine braking at low speed, 1st gear. It works.. really really well. Like snap your head well.

Eats fuel in traffic far more than the black key. To be expected I suppose.

The lope has a tendency to push you into a near stall (which resets the 130 second timer) if you can't really give it gas from a stop. Sitting in traffic, creeping along you sometimes can only slip the clutch to move a few feet forward. It happens frequently enough. Might try zeroing out the idle again. If you can give it gas, its usually fine. With the lope off, there are no stalls or drops so I know its related.

The lope smell leaves a lot to be desired. Not much else to say.

The tune seems to have increase the popping and backfire(ish) sounds when downshifting or revving. I presume with it running richer, there is a higher chance for fuel to make it to the exhaust. This one does concern me a bit, but I'm thinking if its 50 state legal, it can't be running too rich. Have to keep an eye on it.

All in all, I'm not disappointed. I've gotten where I disable the lope at start-up if I know I'll be in any heavy traffic. I wish it was set to stay off until turned back on. Then I'd probably just use it on the weekends for cruising. Having to hold the button each time I start to disable it seems foolish given all the other features they packed onto the key.

I suppose the smart thing would be to use the "black" key to and from work, but hey, have to get my monies worth right?
Old 3/14/15, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SgtRedline

Lucky you scoring some Boss Side Pipes. The well seems to have run dry on them and the few places with 1 or 2 left want over $1k.

As for the Trackey, now that I've had mine for a few weeks or so I love almost all the adjustments. Haven't been to the track to really get use from the racing features like 2 stage launch or pit speed control. Love the engine braking when taking back roads and cruising.

Things I'm not in love with:
To be fair, most of these are due to using the Trackey in morning/evening Baton Rouge rush hour traffic which is probably not the wisest choice.

Engine braking at low speed, 1st gear. It works.. really really well. Like snap your head well.

Eats fuel in traffic far more than the black key. To be expected I suppose.

The lope has a tendency to push you into a near stall (which resets the 130 second timer) if you can't really give it gas from a stop. Sitting in traffic, creeping along you sometimes can only slip the clutch to move a few feet forward. It happens frequently enough. Might try zeroing out the idle again. If you can give it gas, its usually fine. With the lope off, there are no stalls or drops so I know its related.

The lope smell leaves a lot to be desired. Not much else to say.

The tune seems to have increase the popping and backfire(ish) sounds when downshifting or revving. I presume with it running richer, there is a higher chance for fuel to make it to the exhaust. This one does concern me a bit, but I'm thinking if its 50 state legal, it can't be running too rich. Have to keep an eye on it.

All in all, I'm not disappointed. I've gotten where I disable the lope at start-up if I know I'll be in any heavy traffic. I wish it was set to stay off until turned back on. Then I'd probably just use it on the weekends for cruising. Having to hold the button each time I start to disable it seems foolish given all the other features they packed onto the key.

I suppose the smart thing would be to use the "black" key to and from work, but hey, have to get my monies worth right?
Very interesting observations. I've only had my key for a few days and I agree with all of this but no problems with the idle. If anything it's not lopey enough.

However I haven't tried it in traffic. I do have to admit I would probably hate it. Take 2 keys?

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013