5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/14, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Ray,

I wanted to let you know the ProCal tool arrived today.

Which key do I use when installing the update?

Thanks again to You and everyone at Ford Racing

Reagards,
-Bill

Last edited by BBM3; 7/28/14 at 12:58 PM.
Old 7/28/14, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I got my TrackKey in last week and went right to the dealership. They had said they had done many of them and it wouldn't take long. After 4.5 hours walking around the waiting room in circles, they finally said they were not able to install it. They showed me on the laptop where it kept failing and asked that I leave the car over night so the next day they could look at it some more.

It would get passed the part where you put in the voucher ID, and it would download the files, but when it would try to connect to the PCM, it would crash. So I left my car over night...
The next morning the service adviser called me and said they spoke with Ford Racing and were told they needed a programming tool and that it would be here next Tuesday, (tomorrow).

So I have two questions for you all.
1st, has anyone had any major issues at the dealership with the programming of the PCM, to the point Ford Racing supposedly says a programming tool was required? Second, after reading through the majority of this 28 page thread, and seeing that FR sent out the programming tool to everyone including those with the Key, once I register with FR, will I be able to get this tool for future updates? Or did I miss out on that due to the newest version of the software is already in Ford's system?
Old 7/28/14, 02:10 PM
GT Member

Pro cal arrived for me today too
Old 7/28/14, 02:15 PM
GT Member

I just finished the update and had to call Ford Racing to clarify a couple of things.

1) Use the TracKey in the ignition not the stock key.
2) STEP 14: Select "Programing" by pressing enter.

The "Programing" option does not exist and has been changed to "Auto Selection"

Otherwise the update went smooth. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Old 7/28/14, 02:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BBM3
I just finished the update and had to call Ford Racing to clarify a couple of things. 1) Use the TracKey in the ignition not the stock key. 2) STEP 14: Select "Programing" by pressing enter. The "Programing" option does not exist and has been changed to "Auto Selection" Otherwise the update went smooth. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Sweet! Thanks
Old 7/28/14, 02:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by zombietop
So I got my TrackKey in last week and went right to the dealership. They had said they had done many of them and it wouldn't take long. After 4.5 hours walking around the waiting room in circles, they finally said they were not able to install it. They showed me on the laptop where it kept failing and asked that I leave the car over night so the next day they could look at it some more. It would get passed the part where you put in the voucher ID, and it would download the files, but when it would try to connect to the PCM, it would crash. So I left my car over night... The next morning the service adviser called me and said they spoke with Ford Racing and were told they needed a programming tool and that it would be here next Tuesday, (tomorrow). So I have two questions for you all. 1st, has anyone had any major issues at the dealership with the programming of the PCM, to the point Ford Racing supposedly says a programming tool was required? Second, after reading through the majority of this 28 page thread, and seeing that FR sent out the programming tool to everyone including those with the Key, once I register with FR, will I be able to get this tool for future updates? Or did I miss out on that due to the newest version of the software is already in Ford's system?
Yeah a dealer wasted 2 whole days. I waited both times. Most of it is blamed on ****ty internet at the dealer and I believe it. Willing to bet they are sending the procal to get around that.

I'd just ask the dealer to give it too after they are done.
Old 7/28/14, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by solscooter
Yeah a dealer wasted 2 whole days. I waited both times. Most of it is blamed on ****ty internet at the dealer and I believe it. Willing to bet they are sending the procal to get around that.

I'd just ask the dealer to give it too after they are done.

I am thinking the same thing, about FR sending them the procal with the tune loaded on it rather than them having to download it. If that is the case, I highly doubt they will give me the procal. But I'll still be able to use my Track Key right?
Old 7/28/14, 02:48 PM
GT Member

Sweet! Thanks

No problem.
The printed instructions included are for a standard TrackCal install and Ford Racing made a couple of changes specific to our one-time TracKey update.

One thing I found odd is that I had previously cleared the two DCT's (P0420, P0430) using the Torque App and did not have a CEL since yet the ProCal tool found and cleared them in steps 8-11.
Old 7/28/14, 02:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I just finished the update and had to call Ford Racing to clarify a couple of things. 1) Use the TracKey in the ignition not the stock key. 2) STEP 14: Select "Programing" by pressing enter. The "Programing" option does not exist and has been changed to "Auto Selection" Otherwise the update went smooth. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Wow. A couple of minutes. Lol. And us track cal guys have to pay $100 for that.
Old 7/28/14, 03:03 PM
Cobra Member

I am thinking the same thing, about FR sending them the procal with the tune loaded on it rather than them having to download it. If that is the case, I highly doubt they will give me the procal. But I'll still be able to use my Track Key right?
Yes. If everything worked properly at the dealer, it's still a two part process. One is cutting and programming the key to work with the 2nd partition of the PCM. The other is programming the PCM. Instead of downloading it and using whatever tool they use to load it. FRPP is sending the procal tool and memory card with the tune preloaded. That's basically the same as what happened to BadGT. Others that already had the "bad" tune installed got the procal tool to load the new tune (in the same way you will) but to overwrite. It's a slightly different load process vs the people that bought and load the track cal on a 13MY or older since yours is only for the key vs the whole PCM being overwritten.

As said, I'd tell the dealer that the tool is yours and part of the pkg. They likely won't know better.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/28/14 at 03:08 PM.
Old 7/28/14, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

No problem. The printed instructions included are for a standard TrackCal install and Ford Racing made a couple of changes specific to our one-time TracKey update. One thing I found odd is that I had previously cleared the two DCT's (P0420, P0430) using the Torque App and did not have a CEL since yet the ProCal tool found and cleared them in steps 8-11.
Sounds like either the app didn't fully clear them. Or the more likely, the procal wiped even the log of them ever existing. This would make sense as a precaution put in from FRPP to ensure that the PCM doesn't mistakenly throw them again from memory. Could you imagine the rage people would have?

Last edited by typesredline; 7/28/14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 7/28/14, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
True but the TracKey install is very similar time wise. The only real difference is the hardware used and cutting the Trackey.
Old 7/28/14, 03:07 PM
GT Member

Sounds like either the app didn't fully clear them. Or the more likely, the procal wiped even the log of them ever existing. This would make since as a precaution put in from FRPP to ensure that the PCM doesn't mistakenly throw then again from memory.
For sure. The ProCal tool is digging deeper than a generic one size fits all OBDII solution.
Old 7/28/14, 03:37 PM

Yes. If everything worked properly at the dealer, it's still a two part process. One is cutting and programming the key to work with the 2nd partition of the PCM. The other is programming the PCM. In stead of downloading it and using whatever tool they use to load it. FRPP is sending the procal tool and memory card with the tune loaded. That's basically the same as what happened to BadGT. Others that already had the "bad" tune installed got the procal tool to load the new tune (in the same way you will) but to overwrite.

As said, if tell the dealer that the tool is yours and part of the pkg. They likely won't know better.
Actually I just spoke with Mike Robins with FRPP on the phone. Great guy and BIG help. He is sending me the ProCal tuner with my TrackKey tune already loaded. Dealer still had to cut the key and program it to work with my car but I'll be able to install the tune my self. Which saves me from having to miss work to get my car to the dealership to drop it off, make arangments to get back to work, then get to the dealership to pick it up. Also saves me about $100 the dealership was going to charge for labor of installing the tune. PLUS I'll have the procal to clear codes if need be. Dealer was going to keep the procal tuner.
Old 7/28/14, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

Actually I just spoke with Mike Robins with FRPP on the phone. Great guy and BIG help. He is sending me the ProCal tuner with my TrackKey tune already loaded. Dealer still had to cut the key and program it to work with my car but I'll be able to install the tune my self. Which saves me from having to miss work to get my car to the dealership to drop it off, make arangments to get back to work, then get to the dealership to pick it up. Also saves me about $100 the dealership was going to charge for labor of installing the tune. PLUS I'll have the procal to clear codes if need be. Dealer was going to keep the procal tuner.
Yep. Same crap happened to me this past weekend. They cut the key, programmed it to the car but could not load the software due to the "Internet". I did test the key and it says track key off road use on the dash but it obviously doesn't work due to the missing software. At least we get a pro cal out of it. Took me 3 trips to get to this point.

Last edited by OneBadGtCs; 7/28/14 at 03:52 PM.
Old 7/28/14, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

100 for what the procal?
Old 7/28/14, 04:32 PM
GT Member

I'm wondering if I can use the procal to change the tire size for both regular and track key. This would be a big help when I have the funds to upgrade wheels and tires
Old 7/28/14, 04:54 PM
GT Member

I'm wondering if I can use the procal to change the tire size for both regular and track key. This would be a big help when I have the funds to upgrade wheels and tires
That is a good question!

Unless Ray or Mike answer. I'll give it a try and then use a GPS to confirm.
Old 7/28/14, 04:55 PM
Cobra Member

Nice! So the dealer cut and programmed the key for no charge? Probably assumed you'd be back. Hahaha. So are they still getting a procal tool and track tune?
Old 7/28/14, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OneBadGtCs
100 for what the procal?
For the dealer install. They charge around that when I could do it at home in minutes for free.

I feel like we already pay for the tune and voucher and tool. We shouldn't have to pay for install. Especially since the charge is inconsistent.

Worst case, FRPP should charge a bit more for the pkg and include install. That would avoid a ton of hassle and dealer rip offs.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/28/14 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013