5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/14, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Just got back from the dealer in my RENTAL CAR. My right side cat is bad and they are waiting on a replacement which they expect on Monday. So just "clearing the codes" wasn't going to do anything.
When I had the PCM wiped and reloaded for both as built and Trackey the other day I was told by the dealer it was the updated tune already. My dealer read the codes today and cleared them. On the test drive it came back immediately and car was stumbling on acceleration. They noticed when they put the car back on lift that the right cat was dis colored . They ordered a new cat for the car and recommended I don't drive it. I told them to keep it and contact me when it's ready because I have to travel to Atl this weekend. I have a rental provided by the service department.
Judging from what these dealers know about PCM programming, they probably screwed something up at some point. Whether it was on original install, the wipe, the reinstall of stock tune, the reinstall of track cal.

I have conceded to Ray that the cel is false and those that actually had bad cats were because they were bad from ford. But in your case, you got brand new cats, didn't even run the track key, and now one is bad again. Something doesn't add up.

Hind sight is 20/20 but you really should have just waited instead of doing that wipe step recently. I sure hope your inpatients hasn't led to your car and/or PCM being ruined permanently.
Old 7/25/14, 05:55 PM
Cobra Member

When I had the PCM wiped and reloaded for both as built and Trackey the other day I was told by the dealer it was the updated tune already. My dealer read the codes today and cleared them. On the test drive it came back immediately and car was stumbling on acceleration. They noticed when they put the car back on lift that the right cat was dis colored . They ordered a new cat for the car and recommended I don't drive it. I told them to keep it and contact me when it's ready because I have to travel to Atl this weekend. I have a rental provided by the service department.
To add, they are either wrong about the update since Ray didn't say it was out until after you did that. Or the new tune is even worse. Hoping for the former.
Old 7/25/14, 05:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OneBadGtCs
I have called the next 2 dealerships by me and one had no idea of what the track key even was and the other said I had to pay the hourly rate plus 150 for the software which made no freaken sense because they download it when doing the track key so again, they knew nothing. Basically I know more about the track key then they do. I purchased my car all the way in Kissimee which is almost 100 miles away so I can't really go there for work. Going to give these people 1 more chance tomorrow and hopefully they will take Ray up on his offer to walk the tech through it. This is easy to do. Don't see why Ford is having such a hard time with this.
Deysha, I figured out where you can help (in this case. Not implying that you don't help greatly on all of the other issues). Is there no end to dealers trying to knowingly rip off customers??? Charge $150 for the software?!? He already bought the software. That's what the voucher is for!

It's so annoying bc in ANY other industry this crookery or even at best, the severe lack of training and product knowledge, is not tolerated.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/25/14 at 06:10 PM.
Old 7/25/14, 08:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
Judging from what these dealers know about PCM programming, they probably screwed something up at some point. Whether it was on original install, the wipe, the reinstall of stock tune, the reinstall of track cal. I have conceded to Ray that the cel is false and those that actually had bad cats were because they were bad from ford. But in your case, you got brand new cats, didn't even run the track key, and now one is bad again. Something doesn't add up. Hind sight is 20/20 but you really should have just waited instead of doing that wipe step recently. I sure hope your inpatients hasn't led to your car and/or PCM being ruined permanently.
I was asked by the dealer to bring the car back in if I got the CEL so it could be documented and the codes read. Them updating the Trackey was based on them calling FRPP and being told the update was out. Obviously it wasn't.
Old 7/25/14, 09:51 PM
Cobra Member

I was asked by the dealer to bring the car back in if I got the CEL so it could be documented and the codes read. Them updating the Trackey was based on them calling FRPP and being told the update was out. Obviously it wasn't.
Okay. But FRPP said not to. There was nothing to document by the dealer. FRPP has it under control. They trump a dimwitted dealer that has zero clue of what's going on. They just see a cel. You gotta know better.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/25/14 at 09:52 PM.
Old 7/25/14, 10:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay. But FRPP said not to. There was nothing to document by the dealer. FRPP has it under control. They trump a dimwitted dealer that has zero clue of what's going on. They just see a cel. You gotta know better.
The dealer had already started the reprogramming process before Ray stated on here not too. They called FRPP and was told the updated Trackey was available to download..... So they did. Now you state they should listen to FRPP WHEN THEY DID. So someone at FRPP told them the update was available. It's being handled, I have a rental provided and the update should be coming and the new right side cat will be here Monday. Hopefully this will be the end of the issues.

Last edited by MyStang2010GB; 7/25/14 at 10:43 PM.
Old 7/26/14, 07:21 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, getting ready to go to the dealer for the 3rd time. Hopefully this goes well. My car has about 450 miles on it with ZERO issues. No cells, no power or performance issues as of yet. Wish me luck fellas, I'm going in lol.
Old 7/26/14, 07:35 AM
GT Member

Well, getting ready to go to the dealer for the 3rd time. Hopefully this goes well. My car has about 450 miles on it with ZERO issues. No cells, no power or performance issues as of yet. Wish me luck fellas, I'm going in lol.
3rd time was the charm for me. Hope it's the same for you.
Old 7/26/14, 11:02 AM
V6 Member

Ok. Got good news and bad news lol. Bad news is that they couldn't complete the track key because of the wireless internet however they got it almost done, key is cut and paired to the car and the tech did reach out to Ray.

Good news is that all I have to do is wait for the cal tool from Ray to finish up. The dealer only charged me 95 out the door for 1 hr plus the dude from service is going to do my first oil change for free for the scheduling fiasco last week.

Ray was once again helpful throughout the process on his day off which means a lot.
Old 7/26/14, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

Ok. Got good news and bad news lol. Bad news is that they couldn't complete the track key because of the wireless internet however they got it almost done, key is cut and paired to the car and the tech did reach out to Ray. Good news is that all I have to do is wait for the cal tool from Ray to finish up. The dealer only charged me 95 out the door for 1 hr plus the dude from service is going to do my first oil change for free for the scheduling fiasco last week. Ray was once again helpful throughout the process on his day off which means a lot.
That is good news. And nice of the dealer to recognize the hassle and hook you up. Also, you get a procal like you wanted now! Lol

What sucks though is that they should have done that last week for you.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/26/14 at 03:29 PM.
Old 7/26/14, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Ok. Got good news and bad news lol. Bad news is that they couldn't complete the track key because of the wireless internet however they got it almost done, key is cut and paired to the car and the tech did reach out to Ray. Good news is that all I have to do is wait for the cal tool from Ray to finish up. The dealer only charged me 95 out the door for 1 hr plus the dude from service is going to do my first oil change for free for the scheduling fiasco last week. Ray was once again helpful throughout the process on his day off which means a lot.
This happened the first two times to me as well. Glad it will at least get all sorted out.
Old 7/26/14, 07:32 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was gonna order the trackey for 2014 but gonna wait now,until they get the update stable .
Old 7/26/14, 08:15 PM

Is there any experienced dealer in south Carolina I could take mine to? I have the track key package and been reading .I haven't had a chance to take to the dealer ,too busy working .but after reading this post I might think about it some more .
Old 7/26/14, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

That is good news. And nice of the dealer to recognize the hassle and hook you up. Also, you get a procal like you wanted now! Lol

What sucks though is that they should have done that last week for you.
Well basically he asked if all was good because they depend on customer surveys and I said well you did make me come here last week and lose half a day at work so he asked what he could do to make it up and I said my 1st oil change for free lol so he was cool with that. I did want it working today but hey like you said a procal will lessen the frustration lol.

Hopefully the update took care of the problems. Hey im going to add you and others on this thread to my friends list if thats ok.
Old 7/26/14, 08:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by solscooter
This happened the first two times to me as well. Glad it will at least get all sorted out.
Hey Scoot. Do you already have the new update? And if yes, any cells/issues?
Old 7/26/14, 08:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by alan777
Is there any experienced dealer in south Carolina I could take mine to? I have the track key package and been reading .I haven't had a chance to take to the dealer ,too busy working .but after reading this post I might think about it some more .
You are basically going to have to call your local dealers and see. No one in my area had done a track key for a new gt but had done a couple of boss track keys which is about the same.
Thanks to everyone on this thread taking the time to report issues and experiences and Ford Racing the update has been completed. Now we just have to report any new issues if any.
Old 7/26/14, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Hey Scoot. Do you already have the new update? And if yes, any cells/issues?
Nope no new update yet. Waiting for it in the mail. Been lucky enough not to get any CEL or have anything I would call issues. Pinging for the first outing and the engine braking was a little slow to go. All works great now.
Old 7/26/14, 08:40 PM

You are basically going to have to call your local dealers and see. No one in my area had done a track key for a new gt but had done a couple of boss track keys which is about the same.
Thanks to everyone on this thread taking the time to report issues and experiences and Ford Racing the update has been completed. Now we just have to report any new issues if any.
Thanks for the response
I'm gonna call around
Old 7/27/14, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by alan777
I don't know what part of SC you are in but Hilbish Ford in Kannapolis NC did mine and they are very experienced with FRPP. It's worth the trip to have it done right. If you have any more questions just message me.
Old 7/27/14, 02:39 PM
V6 Member

I've been following this thread w/ great interest, have been interested since the first mention of the Track Key ability on non-Boss cars. Have a 2013 GT so I'd be in the Track Cal group but frankly (even putting aside the initial release issues) I'm not sure there is a dealer in the area (Cleveland, OH) I'd trust at even having a remote chance of *not* screwing up the entire process. It's the main reason I never did the original FRPP Pro Cal either.

Had a 2008 GT and went the whole aftermarket CAI/SCT Tune (various tuners), gears, MGW, LCA's, etc route with and never had any real problems...just don't feel like doing that stuff anymore with the 2013 GT though.

It's kinda sad that when you wanna stay close to OEM 'approved' mods, just can't seem to count on a dealer to be competent; 'hit or miss' kinda experiences from what I gather.

We do have a Roush-affiliated Ford dealer around here but not sure that alone could guarantee knowledge and competence w/ respect to FRPP stuff.

FWIW (and I know it sure ain't much in a Ford-centric forum), we also have a Vette we've worked on a bit and it is quite easy to identify the Vette-Tech friendly dealers in the area based on word-of-mouth AND GM Vette-certified Techs credentials.

Dunno, sure would like to have the track cal but not at the expense of going through a whole PITA experience.

What to do, what to do??

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013