5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/14, 06:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pminri
I have to chime in, I read on ford racing website that the Boss exhaust system is a "recommended" upgrade when purchasing the Track key. It would make sense to me because the Boss Mustang is definitely built for the race track, and you would open up the exhaust dumps when using the track key to prevent the cats from being damaged and to take advantage of the tune.. This is my opinion but it seems to be logical. I plan on upgrading to the Boss exhaust before buying the track key. Also will only use track key with dumps open. I know this sucks for daily use but seems to be what everything was designed for in the first place for the Boss. Any thoughts are welcome if you think I'm way off base here.
That doesn't seem logical at all. The excess fuel is hitting the cats prior to any additional exhaust dumping. They aren't designed to filter raw fuel which is why they are clogging. If the boss exhaust was needed to prevent cels, it would be "required". Plus the boss exhaust is "supposed to" be run with baffles intact. So it's not really much more space for exhaust to exit.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/12/14 at 06:15 PM.
Old 7/12/14, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BBM3
I think Pat's comment deserves consideration. Maybe the cats are not a choke point rather back pressure after the cats reduces flow through the cats? Probably not but it will be interesting to know when Ray and Mike from Ford Racing return if their GT test mule is running Boss side exhaust.
I believe the boss exhaust is "recommended" bc they say the lopey idle will sound better. The track cal is designed for a stock gt. If they designed the tune to have the boss exhaust and it does indeed help with back pressure, that is terrible planning.
Old 7/12/14, 06:11 PM
Cobra Member

I agree. Just wondering how many other recommendations are not being followed. Also wondering if the people making the tune really are doing it for pure stock applications or are they assuming people will follow the recommendations to get the best trouble free performance. I really don't think this track key was meant to be used for daily driving. I believe that was not the intent for the Boss nor is it for the GT. IMHO! Sorry if I sound like a broken record.
Good point. I think I remember something about track only before the key was retuned to add power. Maybe it's not designed for dd. And FR hasn't come across the error yet due to limited time and miles on the tune.
Old 7/12/14, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for seeing this so late, Mike and I are out of town working a car show.

First of all sorry your kit did not come with the voucher. Call me on Monday morning and I will register the kit for you and you will have the tool on Tuesday.

Second, the Trackey absolutely did not cause the cats to plug up. There has been issues in mainstream Ford with cat problems before we were even selling our kit and that is why the cats are on backorder.

Third, we only recommend the side exhaust because the lopey idle sounds way better with it. It has nothing to do with back pressure in the system.

Fouth, our test mules at the shop do not have the side exhaust kit.

Ray
Old 7/12/14, 06:33 PM

This kit is designed for daily driver use and has been usedthat way since the 2012 Boss.
Old 7/12/14, 06:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by raysmust
Sorry for seeing this so late, Mike and I are out of town working a car show. First of all sorry your kit did not come with the voucher. Call me on Monday morning and I will register the kit for you and you will have the tool on Tuesday. Second, the Trackey absolutely did not cause the cats to plug up. There has been issues in mainstream Ford with cat problems before we were even selling our kit and that is why the cats are on backorder. Third, we only recommend the side exhaust because the lopey idle sounds way better with it. It has nothing to do with back pressure in the system. Fouth, our test mules at the shop do not have the side exhaust kit. Ray
So FRPP is saying that the tune doesn't hurt the cats. Instead cats are clogging and cels are popping on dozens of cars, a couple hundred miles after the tune is installed because the cats are bad from Ford. What a coincidence.......
Old 7/12/14, 06:54 PM

I am not sure where you are going with this but yes, that is exactly what is happening. If the cats failed within a couple hundred miles because of our calibration we would never have been able to get an EO from California..
Old 7/12/14, 07:06 PM

Let alone pass the durability test that is required by Ford for any calibration we release.
Old 7/12/14, 07:09 PM
GT Member

Sorry for seeing this so late, Mike and I are out of town working a car show. First of all sorry your kit did not come with the voucher. Call me on Monday morning and I will register the kit for you and you will have the tool on Tuesday. Second, the Trackey absolutely did not cause the cats to plug up. There has been issues in mainstream Ford with cat problems before we were even selling our kit and that is why the cats are on backorder. Third, we only recommend the side exhaust because the lopey idle sounds way better with it. It has nothing to do with back pressure in the system. Fouth, our test mules at the shop do not have the side exhaust kit. Ray
Thanks for all the clarification. And Thank you for keeping us all up to date and continuing to post.
Old 7/12/14, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typesredline
I believe the boss exhaust is "recommended" bc they say the lopey idle will sound better. The track cal is designed for a stock gt. If they designed the tune to have the boss exhaust and it does indeed help with back pressure, that is terrible planning.
That is exactly why I said "Probably not".

This is the point where I stop second guessing, speculating, etc. and leave this to the people who have the facts. Ford Racing.

It would be helpful if all of us, particularly those that do not actually have a TracKey or Track Cal installed take a step back and let Ford Racing shake this out.
Old 7/12/14, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by bwkelley76
Thanks for all the info Ray. I will also spread the info to the other forums as mentioned prior.

One thing I must say regarding new and revised part #'s... As an aftermarket installer I've come across issues with new part #'s causing problems with CARB EO #'s, especially in CA. For example our shop installed an LS3 EROD engine on a pollution controlled vehicle, and it turns out that the EO # had been updated to the "new" EROD part # which we did not have, since we bought an "early" production. General Motors actually had us re-serialize the engine block to the revised part # so the thing would pass the visual inspection with the referee.

If a new part # is released for the update and that part # supersedes the original, a new EO decal might be required.

May not be an issue in this case but I thought I would offer the information from our EROD debacle.
The part number and the EO will not change. We are not modifying anything with the actual calibration.
Old 7/12/14, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is exactly why I said "Probably not".

This is the point where I stop second guessing, speculating, etc. and leave this to the people who have the facts. Ford Racing.

It would be helpful if all of us, particularly those that do not actually have a TracKey or Track Cal installed take a step back and let Ford Racing shake this out.
Amen to that
Old 7/12/14, 07:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to chime in, I read on ford racing website that the Boss exhaust system is a "recommended" upgrade when purchasing the Track key. It would make sense to me because the Boss Mustang is definitely built for the race track, and you would open up the exhaust dumps when using the track key to prevent the cats from being damaged and to take advantage of the tune.. This is my opinion but it seems to be logical. I plan on upgrading to the Boss exhaust before buying the track key. Also will only use track key with dumps open. I know this sucks for daily use but seems to be what everything was designed for in the first place for the Boss. Any thoughts are welcome if you think I'm way off base here.
My car already was running the Boss302 exhaust with open dumps since the day I picked it up
Old 7/12/14, 08:50 PM
Cobra Member

...particularly those that do not actually have a TracKey or Track Cal installed take a step back and let Ford Racing shake this out.
I assume that's at me. The point of a forum is to not stand back however. It's about talking things out with people who have different levels of experience and intellect to get new ideas. If you take issue with speculation based on experience and logic, and you want to step back, then you should probably not be on here.

I'll summarize my thoughts. I'm a FRPP fan. However I'm not buying what they're trying to sell here. None of it makes any sense. And I'm allowed to voice that opinion so that others can make an informed decision to potentially avoid a headache.

So far everything I've thought has happened. I thought the cats might go, then cels started popping. I was weary of the "false cel" and now cats are actually getting clogged. If you want to believe that every person on here that has had a cel or experienced power loss or been told by the dealer that the cats are shot (plus all the other forums) always had bad cats from day one and they all just happened to go bad and pop cels days after installing this tune, and it has zero to do with the tune. Then I have some magic beans to sell you.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/12/14 at 08:57 PM.
Old 7/13/14, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Believe me the last thing I want is to have to deal with cats being replaced.

But just to play devil's advocate:
At this point I've got almost 2,000 DDing miles on my Track Cal and I don't have any noticeable problem with cats.
Old 7/13/14, 09:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Nicul15
it would be nice for the update to allow for a default lopey idle off. it seems like it uses a little more gas and dont want to manually turn it off every morning when i use the car for commuting.

for us trackcal guys, an option on the tool to select which way we would like the idle to default would be great, because we cant switch between tunes as easy as the key people.

Originally Posted by JJZ109
Ray! Mike! Please talk somebody into making this happen!
That is probably not going to happen
Is that because there will be an option in the setup menu titled Enable lopey idle program?

Seriously though, I would already have purchased the Track Cal except for having to disable lopey idle with every start. I really do want any performance and drivability improvements over the original Performance Cal though. I do not doubt that Ford Racing will handle the CEL and air conditioning issues but I just have no use for lopey idle.
Old 7/13/14, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JJZ109
Is that because there will be an option in the setup menu titled Enable lopey idle program? Seriously though, I would already have purchased the Track Cal except for having to disable lopey idle with every start. I really do want any performance and drivability improvements over the original Performance Cal though. I do not doubt that Ford Racing will handle the CEL and air conditioning issues but I just have no use for lopey idle.
Fortunately the performance and drivability on the track cal is the same as the original performance cal. One member reported that he noticed a tad more throttle response and engine braking when he went from perf to track. But said it might be in his head. He also said of one didn't want lopey etc. that the track cal wouldn't be worth it over the original.

This is probably why FR won't ofer a disable on the lopey. Bc if you don't want it, they already have a separate cal without it.
Old 7/13/14, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mfc133
Believe me the last thing I want is to have to deal with cats being replaced. But just to play devil's advocate: At this point I've got almost 2,000 DDing miles on my Track Cal and I don't have any noticeable problem with cats.
So hey. It's totally possible that everyone is getting the cel due to the false error. And only some are actually getting failing cats due to it being bad from the factory.

I admit I was angry last night from something unrelated and vented in a closed minded fashion. However, things still sound to convenient. If it was any other company saying this other than Ford Racing, would we still be giving as much benefit of the doubt?

Last edited by typesredline; 7/13/14 at 10:32 AM.
Old 7/13/14, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline

So hey. It's totally possible that everyone is getting the cel due to the false error. And only some are actually getting failing cats due to it being bad from the factory.

I admit I was angry last night from something unrelated and vented in a closed minded fashion. However, things still sound to convenient. If it was any other company saying this other than Ford Racing, would we still be giving as much benefit of the doubt?
Let's face it, everyone following this thread is hoping that it's a simple erroneous CEL and the vehicle damage to be unrelated but I think you are right to retain some healthy skepticism.

I can't be the only one who still wants this thing but needs more comfort that it won't hose my brand new machine. Probably gonna need at least a year with no reported problems for some of the more risk averse among us.
Old 7/13/14, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980

Let's face it, everyone following this thread is hoping that it's a simple erroneous CEL and the vehicle damage to be unrelated but I think you are right to retain some healthy skepticism.

I can't be the only one who still wants this thing but needs more comfort that it won't hose my brand new machine. Probably gonna need at least a year with no reported problems for some of the more risk averse among us.
I couldn't agree more!

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013