5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/14, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_technologies
Year: 2014.5
Trackey or Track Cal: Trackey
Mileage Since Install: ~2000
Trackey Usage %: 30%
Lopey Idle Active %: 100
Fuel Octane: 93
Octane Adjust: No
Using Included K&N Filter: Yes
Air Conditioner Issues: No
Engine Pinging: No
CEL?: YES
CEL Code(s): P0420, P0430
Milage Between Install and First CEL: ~2000 miles
Catch Can Installed: No
Catch Can Right / Left / Both: N/A
Catch Can Brand: N/A
City / Highway Percentage: 30 City, 70 HWY
Other Mods: Boss302 side exhaust restrictor plates removed

Comments: codes showed up while cruising not using track key, but had accidentally filled tank with 87 Octane and codes showed up 350 miles into that tank, track key was NEVER inserted during that tank of fuel. I ran tank to empty then filled up on 93 and took to dealership, the car runs fine and nothing sounds or smells unusual, they told me tech line said to order cats and are on back order. It seems like a tune issue imo. Side note: engine brake in deceleration is not as pronounced as I feel it should be, overall very satisfied with trackey.
Re: engine braking, it's much more noticeable in fast, curvy road/track driving.
Old 7/20/14, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by 65sohc
Re: engine braking, it's much more noticeable in fast, curvy road/track driving.
Thanx, I will check into that more when get the CEL taken care of!
Old 7/20/14, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by OneBadGtCs
Hi Ray, hoping your checking the forum or inbox. I sent you a message. Try and get back to me as soon as you can before I head out. Sent you my number just in case. Thanks again.
How did your install go?
Old 7/20/14, 07:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GT5.ONC
How did your install go?
The install didn't happen because they scheduled me on a day that their tech wasn't there and the one that was there was not comfortable doing it so another Saturday wasted. Unreal.
Old 7/20/14, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by OneBadGtCs
The install didn't happen because they scheduled me on a day that their tech wasn't there and the one that was there was not comfortable doing it so another Saturday wasted. Unreal.
That's crazy. Well when you get it done it's well worth it. You won't be disappointed.
Old 7/20/14, 04:36 PM

So has FRPP come up with the solution for this yet?

I only use the trackey for autocross, and minimally on the street.

Year: 2014.5 Track Pack
Trackey or Track Cal: Trackey
Mileage Since Install: ~2000
Trackey Usage %: 10%
Lopey Idle Active %: 100
Fuel Octane: 93
Octane Adjust: No
Using Included K&N Filter: Yes
Air Conditioner Issues: No
Engine Pinging: Slight
CEL?: YES
CEL Code(s): P0420, P0430
Milage Between Install and First CEL: ~1500 miles
Catch Can Installed: JLT Passenger side
Catch Can Right / Left / Both: N/A
Catch Can Brand: JLT
City / Highway Percentage: 40 City, 60 HWY
Other Mods: CORSA After cat-X, Resonator Delete, Axle back.

Last edited by WNRacing; 7/20/14 at 04:38 PM.
Old 7/20/14, 05:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by WNRacing
So has FRPP come up with the solution for this yet? I only use the trackey for autocross, and minimally on the street. Year: 2014.5 Track Pack Trackey or Track Cal: Trackey Mileage Since Install: ~2000 Trackey Usage %: 10% Lopey Idle Active %: 100 Fuel Octane: 93 Octane Adjust: No Using Included K&N Filter: Yes Air Conditioner Issues: No Engine Pinging: Slight CEL?: YES CEL Code(s): P0420, P0430 Milage Between Install and First CEL: ~1500 miles Catch Can Installed: JLT Passenger side Catch Can Right / Left / Both: N/A Catch Can Brand: JLT City / Highway Percentage: 40 City, 60 HWY Other Mods: CORSA After cat-X, Resonator Delete, Axle back.
Interesting that you have an oil separator and run 93 octane but still have slight pinging. Can you explain more on this?
Old 7/20/14, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by typesredline
Interesting that you have an oil separator and run 93 octane but still have slight pinging. Can you explain more on this?
Seems like it is mostly on somewhat cold starts, but it has the head tick just like all of the other cars so sometimes it is somewhat difficult to distinguish between the two. I would say it is minimal.

My car still does a lot of the surging that it did before the trackey with the regular key as well. The surging bothers me just about as much as the CEL.
Old 7/20/14, 05:35 PM
Cobra Member

Seems like it is mostly on somewhat cold starts, but it has the head tick just like all of the other cars so sometimes it is somewhat difficult to distinguish between the two. I would say it is minimal. My car still does a lot of the surging that it did before the trackey with the regular key as well. The surging bothers me just about as much as the CEL.
Gotcha. So it's possible that the sound is the tick and rarely ping. Also ping is usually heard while rolling on the throttle in 2nd or higher gear at low-mid rpm. So on cold starts at idle I would also think is more tick than ping.

Did it tick prior to the key as well?

Last edited by typesredline; 7/20/14 at 05:38 PM.
Old 7/20/14, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by typesredline
Gotcha. So it's possible that the sound is the tick and rarely ping. Also ping is usually heard while rolling on the throttle in 2nd or higher gear at low-mid rpm. So on cold starts at idle I would also think is more tick than ping.

Did it tick prior to the key as well?
It does still have very slight ping rolling into it, but it's minimal. I question our local fuels octane rating so I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the tune itself.

It has always had the head tick unfortunately, but from what I have read it would be more uncommon for it not to have that issue.
Old 7/20/14, 07:07 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like it is mostly on somewhat cold starts, but it has the head tick just like all of the other cars so sometimes it is somewhat difficult to distinguish between the two. I would say it is minimal.

My car still does a lot of the surging that it did before the trackey with the regular key as well. The surging bothers me just about as much as the CEL.
Interesting that on my car the ProCal and now also the Track Key significantly improved the stock cars surging and light throttle bucking in first gear. With the stock tune and my 3.73 gears it was almost impossible to roll at low speed in traffic without bucking and forced me to shift to second or not even use first.
Old 7/20/14, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by todcp
Interesting that on my car the ProCal and now also the Track Key significantly improved the stock cars surging and light throttle bucking in first gear. With the stock tune and my 3.73 gears it was almost impossible to roll at low speed in traffic without bucking and forced me to shift to second or not even use first.
Are you guys using the trackey daily? I was told by my dealer that they advised against it even with the BOSS because the PCM could adapt to your driving style and potentially reduce the effectiveness of the trackey tune itself resulting in having to have the PCM reflashed and having the tune loaded again.

My car is my daily so I have been using the regular key for DD purposes and the trackey for Autocross or the rare day that I plan to romp on her a little more than usual.
Old 7/20/14, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Hence the name "Track Key" I have stated this before bit I keep getting told it is ok for DD. I don't believe that or there would only be one key, and there would be no need for a "Track Key".

But this is just my opinion.. Also happens to be Dave Pericek's. explanation of the Track Key!
Old 7/20/14, 08:00 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoy the change in the car with the track key on the street.
It does seem to reduce gas mileage a small amount and I assume that is due to the deceleration change and the lopey idle using more fuel.

I had not heard the Track Key "should not be used on the street"

The Boss Forums indicate the street use of their track keys is very high. One quote I saw was "90% of the time using the red track key" and another said "what is the silver key?".
Old 7/20/14, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

Are you guys using the trackey daily? I was told by my dealer that they advised against it even with the BOSS because the PCM could adapt to your driving style and potentially reduce the effectiveness of the trackey tune itself resulting in having to have the PCM reflashed and having the tune loaded again. My car is my daily so I have been using the regular key for DD purposes and the trackey for Autocross or the rare day that I plan to romp on her a little more than usual.
Originally Posted by pminri
Hence the name "Track Key" I have stated this before bit I keep getting told it is ok for DD. I don't believe that or there would only be one key, and there would be no need for a "Track Key". But this is just my opinion.. Also happens to be Dave Pericek's. explanation of the Track Key!
More reason for me to get the regular performance tune through procal tool.
Old 7/20/14, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by todcp
The Boss Forums indicate the street use of their track keys is very high. One quote I saw was "90% of the time using the red track key" and another said "what is the silver key?".
This is true. Most BOSS owners that have the trackey option use it exclusively. I'd like to get a definitive answer from someone at FRPP as to whether there is a real reason not to do this at some point. There is no doubt that the trackey performs better than the regular key and TBH I don't really see any reason not to use it regularly other than fuel mileage & quite fankly if you have a V8 Mustang and you're concerned about fuel mileage, you've got the wrong car.

At the present time though the only thing on my mind is the CEL in my car and if there is a fix ready.. I have an autocross event this weekend and need to get it fixed ASAP, don't want to take any chances.
Old 7/20/14, 10:24 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is true. Most BOSS owners that have the trackey option use it exclusively. I'd like to get a definitive answer from someone at FRPP as to whether there is a real reason not to do this at some point. There is no doubt that the trackey performs better than the regular key and TBH I don't really see any reason not to use it regularly other than fuel mileage & quite fankly if you have a V8 Mustang and you're concerned about fuel mileage, you've got the wrong car.

At the present time though the only thing on my mind is the CEL in my car and if there is a fix ready.. I have an autocross event this weekend and need to get it fixed ASAP, don't want to take any chances.

From Ray @ Ford Racing Post #345 7/12/14

Originally Posted by raysmust
This kit is designed for daily driver use and has been usedthat way since the 2012 Boss.
Old 7/20/14, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by BBM3
From Ray @ Ford Racing Post #345 7/12/14
Well I guess that answers that..

Now to the real question... Is there a fix for the CEL and if not when should it be ready? Can't stand having a CEL on, drives me bonkers.
Old 7/20/14, 11:36 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I guess that answers that..

Now to the real question... Is there a fix for the CEL and if not when should it be ready? Can't stand having a CEL on, drives me bonkers.
Short answer = Yes.
Sorry, too lazy to pick off the quotes you are looking for from Ford Racing.
Start at page 12 post #222 and read the posts from Ford Racing users "raysmust" and "Mike@FR"

Last edited by BBM3; 7/20/14 at 11:39 PM.
Old 7/20/14, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by BBM3
Short answer = Yes.
Sorry, too lazy to pick off the quotes you are looking for from Ford Racing.
Start at page 12 post #222 and read the posts from Ford Racing users "raysmust" and "Mike@FR"
lol

I read the thread, just never saw them give a definitive "yes a fix is ready" answer. I know they were working on it.

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013