05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/06, 08:04 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not yet, but soon. I'm trying to wrap up the paperwork on the rear piece since it will be available in just a couple weeks, so I really have to get that done first. We're trying to do it ourselves to save the cost of the patent attorney this time around - it's a big expense that I think I am capable of avoiding.

At the same time though, the prototype of the louver is already in production too, so it won't be too long before I'll have that ready to go as well for viewing.

I'll say this - as soon as I can get the paperwork done, I'll show it. You definitely won't have to wait until the end of summer to see them. But the way my wife is stacking up the holiday weekend for me - who knows what I'll get done...
Old 6/29/06, 05:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks again Marcello, I am getting excited.
Old 7/5/06, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 7/5/06, 08:09 PM
Legacy Tms Member

The prototype is completed. I go inspect (camera in hand) Friday. Will let you know what I see, although if it is half what the computer models are, it will be great.
Old 7/5/06, 09:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh I am getting stoked!!! Thanks again for the excellent updates Marcello. Can't wait till you post some pics of the prototype when you get the patent paperwork completed and submitted.
Old 7/5/06, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can't wait!
Old 7/5/06, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

very excited
Old 7/6/06, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Old 7/6/06, 08:04 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Hey guys, gotta wait a couple more days, the meeting got pushed back since one of the 4 people that needs to be in on the meeting had something come up tomorrow. We'll reschedule for Monday or Tuesday of next week, and go from there.

The lead CAD guy says the prototype looks awesome, and was happy that I insisted on some of the "subtle but important" changes that I made before we went to the prototype stage. I'm sure if he likes it I will probably like it as well.

I was looking at a Roush today close up - while I like the look of their part from a distance, it is not going to be an ideal piece on a car down the road, trapping water, rubbing on the body, etc...

I know - quit looking long-term, make the buck and run - but that's not me, heck my first car is only 34 years old now, it's still got a lot of life left!
Old 7/7/06, 09:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Marcello, I'm getting real excited to see some of the pictures, when your able to post them.
Old 7/8/06, 01:14 PM
V6 Member

The anticipation that I have building to see these parts can not even be measured. How soon after the prototype is out till I can get ordered and on the waiting list. I am sure these will be the ones that I have been holding out for.
Old 7/8/06, 01:48 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by Rampant
This would get my vote:
whered that come from? I like that a lot.

Marcello is there any possibility of doing these next as a scoop option instead of louvers? And if the first set are not functional any plans to make functional ones? if so let me know when those are done. thanks.
Old 7/8/06, 08:29 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Hmm... as to making that piece, I'd initially say no. Tooling costs in this injection stuff kind of limit us to one design at a time, and since there are pictures of that blue car, someone has made that part already. Even if they only did a one-off, the part is not "different" enough from a stock piece of glass to justify 30-40k in molds, and it could be laid up in fibeglass for much less, since there is no sharp corners or details to deal with like our parts will have.

As to the "functionality" of the vent windows. They will be optically transparent in areas so there will be visual functionality (in the smoke tint version) and will be blacked out in the black version. Of course either one can be painted as well.

As to physically moving air - initially this is not in the cards. First, the car was not designed with this in mind, so there is nowhere to channel water currently, and more importantly, in 2005, there is no such thing as a non-air conditioned Mustang, so the real need for the functional vent window has gone away, in some respects.

Yes, I know it would be cool to make them functional, but the ideas we had for doing it pushed the price well above what we feel the market would like to pay for this part. ( I think I covered some of the pieces / parts earlier in this thread regarding how we thought about it). The end result is that while yes it could be done, we don't have any plans currently to offer it.

Meeting is Monday - I'll probably post on Wednesday, got some stuff I need to take care of inbetween.
Old 7/12/06, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Bumpity Bump Bump
Old 7/12/06, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

C'mon, post some pics for me. It's my birthday!!!!!!
Old 7/12/06, 01:23 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Ok, we're back from GA with our new trailer (had to show up all dressed nice at the Alabama meet on Labor Day!), and here's where we are with the news.

You guys are going to love this part. I have the prototype in hand, and it has far exceeded my expectations. With the honeycomb panel, we had a lot of work to do after the initial prototype for fitment, finish, detail work, etc... but with this one, I have approved the part as it sits. Hopefully by the end of the week, we'll have cost estimates for the production and mold work, and can start to figure out all the details. (like how to pay for it...)

I have a bunch of pictures, but have to do a bunch of work with them first. Also, need to get the paperwork on them going before we can release much more info (aka pictures).

Anyone who is going to the Orlando meet at Race Rock this weekend might get a glimpse of something interesting. (or two or three...)
Old 7/12/06, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

EDIT: Are you going to start a pre-order list for these? I'd love to be one of the first to get these bad boys!
Old 7/12/06, 05:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Ok, we're back from GA with our new trailer (had to show up all dressed nice at the Alabama meet on Labor Day!), and here's where we are with the news.

You guys are going to love this part. I have the prototype in hand, and it has far exceeded my expectations. With the honeycomb panel, we had a lot of work to do after the initial prototype for fitment, finish, detail work, etc... but with this one, I have approved the part as it sits. Hopefully by the end of the week, we'll have cost estimates for the production and mold work, and can start to figure out all the details. (like how to pay for it...)

I have a bunch of pictures, but have to do a bunch of work with them first. Also, need to get the paperwork on them going before we can release much more info (aka pictures).

Anyone who is going to the Orlando meet at Race Rock this weekend might get a glimpse of something interesting. (or two or three...)
Ooh baby - will they be "eyes only", or can I snap a few pics?
Old 7/12/06, 07:51 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Oh duh - I thought it but forgot to type it... no cameras, camera-phones, pens, whatevers. If you're there, you can see some stuff, but if you're shooting pics of it, I might have to run you down like a cone at an auto-x.

Old 7/13/06, 01:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by WarningSLO

EDIT: Are you going to start a pre-order list for these? I'd love to be one of the first to get these bad boys!
Good idea Chris, we just have to let Marcello do some figuring. I know he'll get a list started soon (and hopefully with me being the 1st person on it, as this thread was started by me ).

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass