Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

2007 Cobra to be unveiled at New York Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/05, 08:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1BADGT,

That article is what I was talking about in the above post.

I believe Autoweek. I used to subscribe.

But...what I was saying above is, they (and motortrend) still seem to be speculating. I want to see concrete evidence from Ford. March 25th (if that is indeed the date) can't come soon enough.
Old 2/15/05, 08:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Update:

I called SVT again. This time the guy said "there should be something there."
Old 2/15/05, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you 1BADGT - nice find
Old 2/15/05, 09:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse@February 15, 2005, 9:27 AM
Update:

Something?

Remember Ford Unveiled a sketch of the Futura, now Fusion a year before we saw it in production form!
Old 2/15/05, 09:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Topnotch+February 15, 2005, 11:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Topnotch @ February 15, 2005, 11:07 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse@February 15, 2005, 9:27 AM
Update:

Something?

Remember Ford Unveiled a sketch of the Futura, now Fusion a year before we saw it in production form!
[/b][/quote]
That is all he would say, something. I asked him if they would be unveiling the Cobra at the NYIAS. He responded as I stated above. I'm getting tired of the crap. If they are going to reveal it, say so. The mystery must create sales.
Old 2/15/05, 01:24 PM

Here's a thought, Hau only said an SVT version of the Mustang will be unveiled. Maybe it will be a Cobra R first. Those who assume it will be the 2007 Cobra may be assuming too much.
Old 2/15/05, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mustangc@February 15, 2005, 3:27 PM
Here's a thought, Hau only said an SVT version of the Mustang will be unveiled. Maybe it will be a Cobra R first. Those who assume it will be the 2007 Cobra may be assuming too much.
What are you saying, Shelby's not going to have one to show? SVT is going to show a "Cobra R" to us? What?
Old 2/15/05, 02:44 PM
GT Member

I hope it is the Cobra R, so I can get in line to purchase one..
Old 2/15/05, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Look at the article from Autoweek, it says the SVT Cobra version of the new Mustang. I believe that we would already know by now if it was going to be the Cobra R.

I bet Ford, and SVT in particular, is all giddy about this thread! So much speculation and interest on their next product.

I just hope to see an IRS if it's going to be around $40,000.
Old 2/15/05, 06:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

the hype and speculation of this pales in comparison to what it was for the '05 a year and a half ago. I remember the day the "dealer black and white photo" hit the board. The board went nuts.
Old 2/15/05, 07:25 PM
GTR Member

[/QUOTE]

“SVT is actually bigger, staff-wise, than ever before.”
“We see SVT growing to about five products.”
“SVT is, and will remain, a Ford-branded product.”
“The core of every SVT program is its powertrain; second is chassis dynamics.”
“The next-generation Cobra will be the best one ever.”
[QUOTE]

Bigger staff wise with more money and nothing to show for it, they are focuing all their effort on a new cobra and no Lightning or anything, a ton of BS
Old 2/15/05, 07:26 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by 1BADGT@February 15, 2005, 4:27 AM
For those of you who do not receive AutoWeek, this article was posted in the February 14th 2005 Issue.

Betting on SVT Futures: Ford's new hands have big plans for in-house tuner brand

Article written by BOB GRITZINGER

Maybe all the fretting, all the online chatter, all the enthusiast gnashing of teeth about the future of Ford’s Special Vehicle Team is unwarranted. Maybe we are just seeing a lull in production at that granddaddy of domestic in-house performance tuners.

“I hope so, or else I’m out of a job,” says Ford engineer Hau Thai-Tang, the newly named director of SVT, replacing SVT icon John Coletti who retired at the end of 2004.

Something tells us Thai-Tang, the Vietnamese native who recently completed his self-described dream job—as chief engineer on the 2005 Mustang development team—won’t hurt for work anytime soon. But whether that work focuses on future SVT vehicles, and what form those products might take, remains to be seen.

Rest assured, though, Thai-Tang and his boss, Ford product creation vice president Phil Martens (himself a relative newbie, having just taken control of the product leadership position at Ford after the Dec. 1 retirement of engineering whiz Chris Theodore), are saying the right things.

Martens will admit he was getting upward of 15 letters a day from alarmed SVT faithful after Coletti’s retirement announcement. But his answers to them:

Martens, who approved the next SVT Cobra a day before we interviewed him in January, pointed to the Mustang as an example of a product engineer*ed from the outset with an SVT version in mind.

SVT products need to be created as part of a model plan, instead of being develop*ed after the main product line has left the drawing board, he says. That way it will prevent embarrassing program delays (see SVT Lightning) or cancellations, and allow Ford to use SVT as a launching pad for new performance technologies, says Martens.

That’s fine when it comes to finances and product planning, but doesn’t a large portion of SVT’s success lie in its indepen*- dence from the mother ship? Or are they starting to learn lessons about integration from upstarts at Chrysler Street and Racing Technology and GM Performance Division?

Martens says SVT will remain a stand-alone operation, at least physically, but the team will now enjoy a direct line of communication to the product development office. “We really need to bring SVT back to its roots, into the mainstream of product development, if we’re going to take SVT to the next level. SVT needs to be an integral part of product development.”

So what can fans expect? Martens says SVT will maintain its core of high-performance V8-powered rear-wheel-drive vehicles. It will expand into inline four-cylinder cars as well. And it will break ground venturing into all-wheel-drive performance models. Turbo- and superchargers also figure prominently. And SVT will draw heavily on lessons learned developing the Ford GT, from its racing experience, and with engineers who bring cross-systems expertise.

Thai-Tang says under his stewardship he aims to make sure SVT core values of performance, exclusivity, substance and value remain intact. “It’s easy to build a strong-performing $100,000 car,” he says. “It’s a lot harder to do a strong-performing $20,000 car. You have to be a lot more creative.”

Martens admits even when you put all the pieces in place, you still must have “the moxie to develop the products—you have to have people with cars at the core of their essence.”

One of those guys, SVT papa Coletti, wishes his successors the best: “We’ve laid down a lot of rubber, and I hope the company will continue to do that.”

Lookin’ Live

When Ford rolls out the SVT Cobra version of its all-new Mustang at the New York auto show in March, take a peek underneath. If our sources are right, your prying eyes will spy a live rear axle—not an independent rear suspension, the setup that would be in keeping with the suspension on the outgoing model, and is therefore anticipated by the SVT Cobra faithful.

Ford execs are officially mum, including product chief Phil Martens, who said as recently as the Detroit auto show that no decision had been made on the Cobra’s suspension. Hau Thai-Tang, chief engineer on the 2005 Mustang and now SVT chief, did hint we can expect the next Cobra to surpass 400 hp (we hear 450 hp) and hit a price of about $40,000. The SVT Cobra goes on sale in 2006 as an ’07 model.

AutoWeek SPY PICTURE 2007 COBRA TEST MULE -- You can follow this link to view the lastest spy picture

I saw morepics of that on here somewhere, what happened to them?
Old 2/15/05, 08:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Fordracing200@February 16, 2005, 2:28 AM

Bigger staff wise with more money and nothing to show for it, they are focuing all their effort on a new cobra and no Lightning or anything, a ton of BS

I miss the Lightning too, but I can think of 2 very good reasons why there is no lightning right now. First of all, the new F-150 is a heavy mother and making it go as fast as a new Lightning should would likely require a lot of investment and a relatively high price tag compared to doing a different vehicle.

Secondly, if SVT is here to build hot Mustangs and increase interest in the line elsewhere then there are vehicles that need a shot in the arm a whole lot more than does the F-150. An SVT version would be there to prove a point and not much else as sales are off the charts for this truck. I would rather see an SVT super-truck done a vehicle that could use the image boost...like the Explorer.

Imagine a 5.4L supercharged 500hp Explorer with awd.I would much rather see that than a new F-150 based Lightning even though I am certain this is not the vehicle receiving attention in the Lightnings place. This is just an example and there are many vehicles in ford lineup that need SVT's help more than does the F-150.
Old 2/15/05, 09:54 PM
Cobra R Member

The notion of a 300 hp AWD fusion interests me a lot more than a lightning. It would sell a lot more too and it wouldn't cost nearly as much to develop. Especially considering the MazdaSpeed6 which shares a platform with the fusion. I don't see why you're calling this BS. If they have a strong staff now, there's no reason they should have cars popping out right as we speak. That means they're hard at work developing the cars that'll be coming out in the next couple years. About five products for SVT sounds pretty fun.
I could live without a 500hp pick up, how many people actually buy those things? How bout another shot at an SVT focus, maybe an SVT version of whatever replaces the Crown Vic, possibly on that Australian Falcon platform. i think those would make a lot more money. They'd be cooler, too.
Old 2/15/05, 10:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

The word is Ford wants the Mazdaspeed 6 powerplant. And what the parent company wants, the parent company gets. A 300hp Fusion wouldnt cost much, if anything to develop, just a mazdaspeed 6 with different skin. What WOULD cost money is retooling the flat rock plant to install the new drivetrain.

Actually i just noticed the Fusion will be built at the Mexico stink plant. That would make tooling for the new drivetrain an even more difficult endeavor. I dont see how ford plans to sell any of these things anyway. It's like a Mazda 6, only uglier, with less options, poorer build quality, for the same price.
Old 2/16/05, 01:45 AM
Bullitt Member

If you need a rep there... I'll defintiely be there, and one of my firends has press passes so he gets to go before the public. He also gets to take as many pictures as he wants of every car in there. He told me that the magazine he works for (Forbes Automotive... which is coming out soon) told him to concentrate on the Ford exhibit and the new Mustangs in particular.

I'll be there with my camera like i have for the last 6 years.
Old 2/16/05, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by jsaylor+February 15, 2005, 11:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jsaylor @ February 15, 2005, 11:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fordracing200@February 16, 2005, 2:28 AM

I miss the Lightning too, but I can think of 2 very good reasons why there is no lightning right now. First of all, the new F-150 is a heavy mother and making it go as fast as a new Lightning should would likely require a lot of investment and a relatively high price tag compared to doing a different vehicle.

Secondly, if SVT is here to build hot Mustangs and increase interest in the line elsewhere then there are vehicles that need a shot in the arm a whole lot more than does the F-150. An SVT version would be there to prove a point and not much else as sales are off the charts for this truck. I would rather see an SVT super-truck done a vehicle that could use the image boost...like the Explorer.

Imagine a 5.4L supercharged 500hp Explorer with awd.I would much rather see that than a new F-150 based Lightning even though I am certain this is not the vehicle receiving attention in the Lightnings place. This is just an example and there are many vehicles in ford lineup that need SVT's help more than does the F-150.
[/b][/quote]

You're wrong. Totally wrong.
Old 2/16/05, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@February 16, 2005, 12:57 AM
The notion of a 300 hp AWD fusion interests me a lot more than a lightning. It would sell a lot more too and it wouldn't cost nearly as much to develop. Especially considering the MazdaSpeed6 which shares a platform with the fusion. I don't see why you're calling this BS. If they have a strong staff now, there's no reason they should have cars popping out right as we speak. That means they're hard at work developing the cars that'll be coming out in the next couple years. About five products for SVT sounds pretty fun.
I could live without a 500hp pick up, how many people actually buy those things? How bout another shot at an SVT focus, maybe an SVT version of whatever replaces the Crown Vic, possibly on that Australian Falcon platform. i think those would make a lot more money. They'd be cooler, too.

How many people buy those things? Have you looked at the sales figures for the last 5 years for the L? More than for the SVT Cobra and Focus combined. The L was SVT's biggest seller and had the largest profit margin of any SVT vehicle made.

I spent $20,000 on my L to make it faster when I found out there wasn't a new L coming out soon. There are alot of people I personally know that want powerful trucks. You have no idea how much fun it is to drive a truck that is faster than just about anything on the road.

Making a 300 hp all-wheel drive fusion would cost mega bucks. Also there are already so many all- wheel drive 300 hp cars. Volvo/Ford has one right now.
Old 2/16/05, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

David, its nothing personal but, who are you to pop out nowhere and start telling everyone they're wrong? You seem to have access to info that we don't, yet you don't give any specifics to back up your rebuttals. Here you are praising you Lightning about how fast it is. I would hope it is very fast seeing as you pumped 20 grand into it. The Lightning is a great truck, I would much rather have one than any bowtie truck or Dodge. But, this thread is about the Up-coming Cobra, which you say won't be a Cobra. If you want to talk about your truck, please do so in the appropriate forum. Thank you.
Old 2/16/05, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

NO IT WOULDN'T COST A TON to make a 300hp fusion. Do some research before you flame someone. It's practically the same chassis as the Mazda 6, and an AWD 300hp Mazda 6 allready exists. The research and development is done allready. The money is in the retooling of that grarbage plant in mexico to build it.

What noone wants OBVIOUSLY BY THE FACT THAT THEY CANCELLED IT, is a stupid 500hp pickup truck. A vehicle that is truly only good for 1 thing, going in a straight line. Well, 2 things. Going in a straight line, and looking like a complete red neck while doing so.

And how many 300hp AWD cars do you know of? On the planet and reality i live in there is: Volvo S60R, Audi S4, EVO, STI, MSP6 (not out yet), The 05 G35X...

And under 40k, where the Fusion would be...EVO, STI, MSP6, G35X. 4 cars. With 2 of them being all out race cars.

So how many sport sedans with 300hp and AWD, under 40k?

MSP6...G35X...? 2

And there is a Cobra...my source has seen it/driven it/worked on it? Has yours?

Quick Reply: 2007 Cobra to be unveiled at New York Auto Show