Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

2007 Cobra to be unveiled at New York Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/05, 04:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[/quote]
That is what I am counting on. I have been a Mustang man since the late '70s when my brother had a '70 Mach 1. I can't see me driving any other muscle car. I like the Vette, M3 or even a used Viper or 911 Turbo, but, My heart has always been in Mustangs. This will be my 3rd and I plan to keep it until I am old.
[/quote]

I've owned both '69 and '70 Mach 1's both of which were big block cars, one having a shaker, '89 LX and Three SVT Cobras. I will only buy a SVT Cobra from here on out.
Old 1/31/05, 06:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I think this has to be the best kept secret in the automotive industry, even more so than the new '05 !!

NO ONE .... knows exactly what is going on .... Talk about your Hype .... I just hope Frod is smart enough to know that they MUST keep SVT around .... I don't care what Shelby thinks ...
Old 1/31/05, 07:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by anaki@January 30, 2005, 1:24 PM
How wrong you all are. Wish as you may, SVT is not giving up the Cobra nameplate, nor are they going to have Shelby attach his name to the next SVT Mustang Cobra. This I,ve been told in a conversation I had with the folks within SVT. It was very strongly stated with my conversation that SVT has to much invested in the Cobra name and while Shelby is going to have his own Mustang, much like a Saleen or Roush most of the work will be done by Ford with minimal involvement from SVT. Also while not getting them to fully confirm the form of motovation in the next SVT Cobra. They did strongly say that it would be a waste of time, money and development not to seriously consider the power plant that was developed for the now on hold next SVT Lightning.
If your sources are correct, then it will be interesting to see how a Shelby Mustang and SVT Cobra Mustang would be positioned in terms of price and engine output. It is my understanding that Saleen and Roush do spend more time with modifications and they are done at their facilities.

By the way, your first two statements "How wrong you all are. Wish as you may, ...." were not indicative of what I think should happen or a personal claim of definitive truth or accuracy. If we get a 500hp Mustang that costs in the upper 30s, that is what I want to be the reality. The SVT guy I know has been really, really quiet - perhaps because he's very busy working on the new vehicle.

We'll know even more in April, I suppose.
Old 2/2/05, 01:20 PM

I heard that the head guy in SVT quit so Shelby is taking over for the mustang with a 5.4 litter supercharged but no IRS independent rear suspension
Old 2/2/05, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by fordmuscle4ever@February 2, 2005, 2:23 PM
I heard that the head guy in SVT quit so Shelby is taking over for the mustang with a 5.4 litter supercharged but no IRS independent rear suspension

...and I heard that the new Cobra is only going to have 305hp
Old 2/2/05, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone else think that the 2005+ mustang has been the source of more false internet/magazine rumours and outright misinformation than any other car in history?

Thank god for Brad for debunking many of these.
Old 2/3/05, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by new22003@February 2, 2005, 9:11 PM
Anyone else think that the 2005+ mustang has been the source of more false internet/magazine rumours and outright misinformation than any other car in history?

Thank god for Brad for debunking many of these.
I heard from my source within FordDirect, the financing department, that the new SVT model will be called the Cobramobile, complete with a single jet turbine, and weigh under 5000lbs. It should MSRP for 43,995. This info was also confirmed by my local dealership.

I can't take it anymore ....
Old 2/3/05, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I heard the new cobra will be a N/A 4 cylinder with 160HP, and be named "Cobra - The Revenge" or Cobra II for short
Old 2/5/05, 06:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

The latest news from my source - who I hadn't talked to in a few weeks - was that the new Cobra WILL have a 5.4 S/C detuned motor from the GT. However, it will NOT be 500 hp, most likely in the 440-460 hp realm and will have the HD 6 speed tranny with an auto of some design to possibly be optional later in the model year.

He has seen both 5.4 S/C and 4/6 S/C mules; but according to him it will definitely be the 5.4 S/C version. One other interesting tidbit - it is NOT a DOHC motor; partially to reduce cost, partially to aid in fitting the motor into the car.

Also, he did say that "COBRA" will definitely be the name of the SVT Mustang. Not sure how this will jive with the Shelby vehicle but he was adamant about this.

Remember - this is information from someone who claims to be on the inside and to me, seems very reliable. But again, I have got nothing from him proof-wise (pics, docs, etc). So for now, it's still 'rumor' as far as I'm concerned.

But I hope, hope, HOPE he's right!
Old 2/5/05, 06:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Steve@February 5, 2005, 8:07 AM
The latest news from my source - who I hadn't talked to in a few weeks - was that the new Cobra WILL have a 5.4 S/C detuned motor from the GT. However, it will NOT be 500 hp, most likely in the 440-460 hp realm and will have the HD 6 speed tranny with an auto of some design to possibly be optional later in the model year.

He has seen both 5.4 S/C and 4/6 S/C mules; but according to him it will definitely be the 5.4 S/C version. One other interesting tidbit - it is NOT a DOHC motor; partially to reduce cost, partially to aid in fitting the motor into the car.

Also, he did say that "COBRA" will definitely be the name of the SVT Mustang. Not sure how this will jive with the Shelby vehicle but he was adamant about this.

Remember - this is information from someone who claims to be on the inside and to me, seems very reliable. But again, I have got nothing from him proof-wise (pics, docs, etc). So for now, it's still 'rumor' as far as I'm concerned.

But I hope, hope, HOPE he's right!
Hey Steve, good to hear from you again. I hope he is right also. If it is the GT motor, "detuned", it should be able to be retuned. The only problem I see is the GT motor is the 4 valve, DOHC engine. If it isn't DOHC, It basically isn't the same motor. I am sure it will still be a worthy engine either way.
Old 2/5/05, 06:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Between the tuning and the 3-valve head set-up, I could see how the power would be in that range. If it's the same block/internals and supercharger, the power outputs after modification could definitely be up there.

Steve, thanks for the info.
Old 2/5/05, 11:46 AM
V6 Member

Any word that the Cobra will be seen at the NY Auto Show? I know that Brad said it would be there but then there was a lot of debate which I assumed was just a bunch of crazy internet rumor, but since then I haven't heard if the "big reveal" is still on.I am really looking forward to seeing it.
Old 2/5/05, 11:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SigMachi@February 5, 2005, 12:49 PM
Any word that the Cobra will be seen at the NY Auto Show? I know that Brad said it would be there but then there was a lot of debate which I assumed was just a bunch of crazy internet rumor, but since then I haven't heard if the "big reveal" is still on.I am really looking forward to seeing it.
It will most assuredly be there.
Old 2/7/05, 08:21 AM
V6 Member

BLESS YOU STEVE!!
Old 2/7/05, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

My neighbour had a meeting at the glass house in Dearborn and claims there was a new style cobra stang on display there,but no details. A friend in customs at the Ambassador Bridge claims to have had a"creamy white " 05 mustang ,with manufacturer's plates and the word Cobra on the back bumper clear through his line last week.
Old 2/7/05, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

I hope it doesn't have the letters in the rear bumper like the last ones did.
Old 2/8/05, 05:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@February 7, 2005, 9:11 PM
Are you referring to "Mustang", "Cobra", "SVT" badging, or just letters in general?
Old 2/8/05, 08:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by slavehand+February 8, 2005, 7:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slavehand @ February 8, 2005, 7:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse@February 7, 2005, 9:11 PM
Are you referring to "Mustang", "Cobra", "SVT" badging, or just letters in general?
[/b][/quote]

The large indentations that were molded into the bumper. I think small badges are fine. I just never liked the molded words in the plastic.
Old 2/8/05, 09:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's what I thought, just clarrifying.
Old 2/8/05, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

i have stated this b4 and i will state it again, i own a 96 SVT Cobra (vert) and i want the name SVT Cobra to continue, i have nothing against shelby, but the name (associated with ford) is not form my generation, i am 31, i have no problem with there beign a shelby mustang, but it should be slotted between the GT and the SVT Cobra, just as the bullitt and the mach 1 were

Long live the SVT Cobra, cant wait until march 23

Quick Reply: 2007 Cobra to be unveiled at New York Auto Show