Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

2007 Cobra to be unveiled at New York Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/05, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still holding out for plain SVT Cobra. Several months ago, Tom Scarpello said very clearly, in his SVT Enthusiast column, that Shelby and SVT would NOT be combined, that both SVT and Shelby deserved more than that.

Nothing's to say it can't change, but I'm really hoping it didn't. SVT and Shelby are both :worship: It just wouldn't seem right to throw them together.
Old 3/15/05, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by PeterPienaar@March 15, 2005, 11:21 AM
I'm still holding out for plain SVT Cobra. Several months ago, Tom Scarpello said very clearly, in his SVT Enthusiast column, that Shelby and SVT would NOT be combined, that both SVT and Shelby deserved more than that.

Nothing's to say it can't change, but I'm really hoping it didn't. SVT and Shelby are both :worship: It just wouldn't seem right to throw them together.
I agree and what more needs to be said?
Old 3/15/05, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mustangc@March 15, 2005, 8:02 AM
We have our modern day Shelby Mustang, it is called 'Saleen'. IMO Saleen is a retelling of the Shelby story.

I know many people who would be very excited if Shelby made a new Mustang. I would like to see it as well. However if they are not one in the same, I don't want the Shelby to overshadow the SVT Cobra as Ford's highest performance factory Mustang. SVT has built an image of being the top dog modern Mustang.

Either make the Shelby
1) a Tuner car (like a Roush) or an indendant manufacturer (like a Saleen).
2) If it is produced in house by Ford, slot it in the niche market (like a Mach 1) under the SVT Cobra or
3) make it a very limited, very stripped race car (sitting in for the Cobra R). Imagine a Shelby GT 500 R with no back seat, no radio, only 500 produced, and 500 rated horsepower. Sick it on the Z-06 Corvette just like the 2000 Cobra R.
I don't think Saleen is retelling the Shelby story. Roush would be more like Shelby. Roush races and wins, Saleen can't seem to build a car that can beat the factory model (according to Motor Trend).

The Shelby team says that they plan to race Mustangs and work things out there before they bring anything to market. SVT is a kick-hiney factory tuner that makes impressive cars. I look to Shelby to be more "race-bred" and built in smaller numbers.

Just my take, based on what the people who work for the different parties have said thus far.
Old 3/15/05, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by moze+March 15, 2005, 12:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moze @ March 15, 2005, 12:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mustangc@March 15, 2005, 8:02 AM
We have our modern day Shelby Mustang, it is called 'Saleen'. IMO Saleen is a retelling of the Shelby story.

I know many people who would be very excited if Shelby made a new Mustang. I would like to see it as well. However if they are not one in the same, I don't want the Shelby to overshadow the SVT Cobra as Ford's highest performance factory Mustang. SVT has built an image of being the top dog modern Mustang.

Either make the Shelby
2) If it is produced in house by Ford, slot it in the niche market (like a Mach 1) under the SVT Cobra or
3) make it a very limited, very stripped race car (sitting in for the Cobra R). Imagine a Shelby GT 500 R with no back seat, no radio, only 500 produced, and 500 rated horsepower. Sick it on the Z-06 Corvette just like the 2000 Cobra R.
I don't think Saleen is retelling the Shelby story. Roush would be more like Shelby. Roush races and wins, Saleen can't seem to build a car that can beat the factory model (according to Motor Trend).

The Shelby team says that they plan to race Mustangs and work things out there before they bring anything to market. SVT is a kick-hiney factory tuner that makes impressive cars. I look to Shelby to be more "race-bred" and built in smaller numbers.

Just my take, based on what the people who work for the different parties have said thus far.
[/b][/quote]

I have to disagee w/ you both. Neither Saleen nor Roush is "retelling" anyones' story. They are both trying to get their product off the floors and into homes. I don't think it's fair to compare this to that. It's like saying who's the next Jordan or Jerry Rice or Csonka. I don't think they're trying to emulate Shelby, just make their notch on the Mustang totem pole.

BTW, MT needs to research their products before printing their articles.
Old 3/15/05, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by PeterPienaar@March 15, 2005, 10:21 AM

Think, if you put them together, though.....you would have one most awesome car for sure! :worship:
Old 3/15/05, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by crispy23c+March 15, 2005, 1:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crispy23c @ March 15, 2005, 1:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-PeterPienaar@March 15, 2005, 10:21 AM

Think, if you put them together, though.....you would have one most awesome car for sure! :worship:
[/b][/quote]

True, but I bet there would still be people disappointed w/ that decision. For SVT to blatently lie to the public like that, :nono: I'm hoping that they have more sense that this.
Old 3/15/05, 12:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't care what they call it. I like Shelbys, I think it would be cool to own one. Beyond that I want an awesome, 40K Mustang with 450-500hp. IF they want to call it a Cobra, great, if they want to call it a Shelby, neat. It really doesn't matter.
Old 3/15/05, 01:14 PM
GT Member

If it has the numbers that people are saying it will, they can call it poop on a stick and I will still buy one
Old 3/15/05, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

"LONESTAR!"

"I can see your schwartz is as big as mine."

Sorry, I have a thing for great humor.

Old 3/15/05, 04:12 PM
GT Member

The April issue of Road & Track has a small article about SVT and clearly says "the relaunch of the Mustang Cobra at the New York Auto Show". They go on to quote Hau Thai-Tang denying Shelby replacing the SVT moniker. The car will be a Mustang Cobra (maybe there will be an SE Shelby too) in New York and I am going!
Old 3/15/05, 04:13 PM
FR500 Member

who's gonna be there to take pics? I wish I could come.....this will be a historic event marking the rebirth of SVT
Old 3/15/05, 04:23 PM
GT Member

PS. The same article claims the SVT Cobra mule is "packing 450 bhp and 6 speeds".
Old 3/15/05, 05:26 PM
Banned

Either make the Shelby
I imagine if they make a Shelby Mustang it will somewhere along the lines of #3. Except I think it will have a really nice interior. Shelby will make a completely decked out car which will cost lots of $$$. Thats how I look at it... :scratch:
Old 3/15/05, 05:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Either make the Shelby
Well, for all you young whippersnappers out there, Shelby Mustangs were around L-O-N-G before there was ever an SVT. Plus, we have a retro Mustang that just cries out Shelby. So expect a Shelby.

It won't be an independent tuner car anymore than the Shelby GR-1 (which is based on the old Shelby Daytona and is probably gonna be built) would be manufactured by Shelby themselves. It will be manufactured by Ford with Carol's input.

So what I'm saying is this:

- It's been announced that there will be a Shelby Mustang...
- Shelby does not have the resources to produce large quanities in house...
- Ford will be building it...
- There is no market or economic sense in building an SVT Cobra...a Shelby GT350 Cobra...AND a GT500 Cobra - too many cars, costs and development time for essentially the same market segment all coming under the SVT unbrella...
- We know that SVT has said that there will be an SVT Cobra unveiling in New York...
- Carol Shelby has said that it is his Cobra will be unveiled by Ford in New York...
- SVT didn't say that the Shelby name would NOT be used...
- Shelby didn't say that his car WOULD NOT be built by SVT...
- Hau Tai Tang is hugely nostalgic about the '60s era Mustangs...
- GT 350s and GT500s ARE technically Cobras...
- So everyone's name ends up on this thing: "Shelby GT500 (Cobra) by SVT."

Oh, and the later Shelbys sold to the public through Ford were not stripped down racing cars - they were actually rather deluxe compared to the equivalents from Ford.
Old 3/15/05, 06:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Have you seen the Road and Track article? It says "Could the Shelby name supplant the SVT moniker? Not so, according to Coletti's successor, HTT."

Granted, it doesn't say the car won't say Shelby on it, but, it sure sounds like they are saying it won't.

I can't think of a better time to be a Mustang fan. No matter how they slice it, this car is gonna rock.
Old 3/16/05, 03:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I cant wait 7 days. :bang:
Old 3/16/05, 07:58 AM
GT Member

So, no one here won tickets to the SVTOA "prebrief"?
Old 3/16/05, 03:16 PM
Banned

Wonder what color it will be at NYIAS? :scratch:
Old 3/16/05, 09:07 PM
Cobra Member

I was told Red with White stripes. Will love to see if my source is correct. If not, screw him. Just kidding.
Old 3/17/05, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Route 66@March 16, 2005, 10:10 PM
I was told Red with White stripes. Will love to see if my source is correct. If not, screw him. Just kidding.
Yet I'm picking up elsewhere that car is not the one we will see. Something about SVT wanting to keep it more upscale as well as the fact they feel the stripe thing is already overdone.

I'm hearing something in a solid color closer to the black photochop minus the front splitter but with a raised hood and spoiler similar to the Cobra R.

So yes.... no choice but to wait and see indeed.

Quick Reply: 2007 Cobra to be unveiled at New York Auto Show