Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

2007 Cobra to be unveiled at New York Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/05, 02:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

Personally, I hope they will make the top-end SE model a Shelby. After all, Carroll Shelby brought the Mustang up and out of a market unique to the '60s - the "secretary's car." AKA, a stylish car for women. Shelby redesigned it and started the legend of the Shelby series and the Mustang that we have today while throwing gasoline on the fire that was the Muscle Car Age. His attitude/design still resonate today, over 40 years later. His passion and vision for cars gave us what we take for granted today - scoops, ducktails, brake vents, the essence and presence of a muscle car.

If this is the beginning of another "Golden Age" as some have claimed (and I think it is), I believe it's only right that Carroll Shelby has a place in it. His cars, designs, persona, and name will always have a special place in the hearts of every American muscle car enthusiast. He was a true visionary.
Old 3/1/05, 05:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by OBleedingMe@March 1, 2005, 4:55 AM
I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

Personally, I hope they will make the top-end SE model a Shelby. After all, Carroll Shelby brought the Mustang up and out of a market unique to the '60s - the "secretary's car." AKA, a stylish car for women. Shelby redesigned it and started the legend of the Shelby series and the Mustang that we have today while throwing gasoline on the fire that was the Muscle Car Age. His attitude/design still resonate today, over 40 years later. His passion and vision for cars gave us what we take for granted today - scoops, ducktails, brake vents, the essence and presence of a muscle car.

If this is the beginning of another "Golden Age" as some have claimed (and I think it is), I believe it's only right that Carroll Shelby has a place in it. His cars, designs, persona, and name will always have a special place in the hearts of every American muscle car enthusiast. He was a true visionary.
I agree with you entirely. I would be honored to own a modern day Shelby (as long as the price is modern day and not futuristic). For all those that hate Carroll Shelby, buy a GT and mod. it or buy something else. If you want to pass on the best Mustang ever made just because you don't like the guys name that is on it, that is up to you.
Old 3/1/05, 10:11 AM
GTR Member

it will have a 03 lightning motor, think about it a 450hp 5.4
Old 3/1/05, 01:56 PM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are they any pics?? If so can u submit the link/pictures thanx
Old 3/1/05, 02:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Big D@March 1, 2005, 3:59 PM
No, there are not. For that matter, there is no concrete information. We have been receiving tips from "insiders" for quite some time. No one knows what to believe and what not to believe. Some of the rumors make sense and therefore we tend to believe them. NOTHING has been officially released. SVT is supposed to be unveiling something at NYIAS as this thread states, but, they won't even definitively confirm that.
Old 3/1/05, 02:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Fordracing200@March 1, 2005, 12:14 PM
it will have a 03 lightning motor, think about it a 450hp 5.4
I would say that is a real good possibility, but, once again, who knows.
Old 3/1/05, 02:09 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse+March 1, 2005, 3:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazyhorse @ March 1, 2005, 3:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Big D@March 1, 2005, 3:59 PM
No, there are not. For that matter, there is no concrete information. We have been receiving tips from "insiders" for quite some time. No one knows what to believe and what not to believe. Some of the rumors make sense and therefore we tend to believe them. NOTHING has been officially released. SVT is supposed to be unveiling something at NYIAS as this thread states, but, they won't even definitively confirm that.
[/b][/quote]

Oh ok thanks for the info B)
Old 3/1/05, 02:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Big D+March 1, 2005, 4:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Big D @ March 1, 2005, 4:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by crazyhorse@March 1, 2005, 3:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Big D
@March 1, 2005, 3:59 PM

Oh ok thanks for the info B)
[/b][/quote]
np.

Keep checking though. If history repeats itself, I would expect a sneak or leak just before the unveiling. I'm checking several times a day to see if it happened yet.
Old 3/1/05, 02:22 PM
FR500 Member

cool!! if you land any pics id really appreciate it if u emailed them to me or the link where u found em..my email is derek.bartolo@gmail.com
Old 3/1/05, 08:38 PM
GT Member

Info below from the SVT Enthusiast (Vol 8 Issue 1) that came in tonight's mail.
Good news for us enthusiasts!!!

George Ayers: "Both of us (Hau Thai-Tang) want to make sure Ford remains a performance leader, and with the company's roll-out of so many new cars and trucks, we have some great platforms with which to work. When it comes to the product rebirth of Ford SVT, you simply need to stay "tuned".

Hau Thai-Tang: "Today, Ford is more committed than ever in its support for SVT and the kinds of exciting products it can deliver....But now that we've demonstrated that Ford can build a world-class supercar that can compete with anyone, my focus will be delivering more SVT products faster...Look for us to to leverage our skill base and to deliver more products that build on those SVT pillars of Performance, Substance, Exclusivity, and Value. Stay tuned for more from the New York Auto Show."

LA Auto Show Article: "Exciting as the convertible 'Stang is for any ford performance fan, SVTOA members will be expcially interested in the announcement of a forthcoming SVT derivation, the concept version of which will be shown during the press days at the New York Auto Show on March 23 and 24."

So, not a lot a earth-shattering news, but good to see these facts confirmed in writing from SVT. This is good and seems to dispel a lot of the negative rumors that have been floating around. I'm still very confident in what's coming down the SVT pipeline!
Old 3/1/05, 09:32 PM
Cobra Member

:rock: on.
Old 3/2/05, 04:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

concept version? I suppose it is too early to expect production version to be shown, but, that means what they show us, won't necessarily be what we get. I'm still excited about them revealing anything, but, I'd really like to know what we are going to get in the final product. I doubt a concept will settle IRS or engine/hp questions. It may, however, give the public a chance to debate the IRS/SRA issue enough to sway SVTs thinking (i hope anyway).
Old 3/2/05, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Spoke with someone from SVT yesterday. He said that the new svt mustang will be available mid '06 as an '07. I do not entirely believe this. I think that we will see these on the streets sooner.
Old 3/2/05, 10:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by crispy23c@March 2, 2005, 11:22 AM
Spoke with someone from SVT yesterday. He said that the new svt mustang will be available mid '06 as an '07. I do not entirely believe this. I think that we will see these on the streets sooner.
That is what they have been announcing for about a year now.

Someone earlier in this thread said a "concept" would be revealed. He got that from the SVT enth. mag this month. So, mid '06 is probably realistic. I wish it would be sooner.
Old 3/2/05, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's what the whole public is hoping but I would say that time frame sounds right. If SVT or Shelby runs into any of the problems Saleen's had w/ their tuning, I would rather it take longer and done right then appease the public and release something that's not right.
Old 3/2/05, 11:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a confirmed fact. You won't see it sooner.
Old 3/2/05, 08:15 PM
GT Member

As crazyhorse said, this has been known for awhile now. What we've been told is that the NY Show this month will have the 07 Cobra Concept and next January at the Detriot show we'll see the unveiling of the production car which will go on sale in mid-06.
Old 3/3/05, 07:03 PM
GTR Member

i am still betting on a lightning motor, look at all they told us about it having a 5.4 and thats the only motor that comes to mind
Old 3/3/05, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I take it you all saw the below from just two weeks ago in Autoweek...?

Betting on SVT Futures: Ford's new hands have big plans for in-house tuner brand

BOB GRITZINGER

Published Date: 2/14/05

Maybe all the fretting, all the online chatter, all the enthusiast gnashing of teeth about the future of Ford’s Special Vehicle Team is unwarranted. Maybe we are just seeing a lull in production at that granddaddy of domestic in-house performance tuners.

“I hope so, or else I’m out of a job,” says Ford engineer Hau Thai-Tang, the newly named director of SVT, replacing SVT icon John Coletti who retired at the end of 2004.

Something tells us Thai-Tang, the Vietnamese native who recently completed his self-described dream job—as chief engineer on the 2005 Mustang development team—won’t hurt for work anytime soon. But whether that work focuses on future SVT vehicles, and what form those products might take, remains to be seen.

Rest assured, though, Thai-Tang and his boss, Ford product creation vice president Phil Martens (himself a relative newbie, having just taken control of the product leadership position at Ford after the Dec. 1 retirement of engineering whiz Chris Theodore), are saying the right things.

Martens will admit he was getting upward of 15 letters a day from alarmed SVT faithful after Coletti’s retirement announcement. But his answers to them:

* “SVT is actually bigger, staff-wise, than ever before.”
* “We see SVT growing to about five products.”
* “SVT is, and will remain, a Ford-branded product.”
* “The core of every SVT program is its powertrain; second is chassis dynamics.”
* “The next-generation Cobra will be the best one ever.”

Martens, who approved the next SVT Cobra a day before we interviewed him in January, pointed to the Mustang as an example of a product engineer-ed from the outset with an SVT version in mind.

SVT products need to be created as part of a model plan, instead of being develop-ed after the main product line has left the drawing board, he says. That way it will prevent embarrassing program delays (see SVT Lightning) or cancellations, and allow Ford to use SVT as a launching pad for new performance technologies, says Martens.

That’s fine when it comes to finances and product planning, but doesn’t a large portion of SVT’s success lie in its indepen-- dence from the mother ship? Or are they starting to learn lessons about integration from upstarts at Chrysler Street and Racing Technology and GM Performance Division?

Martens says SVT will remain a stand-alone operation, at least physically, but the team will now enjoy a direct line of communication to the product development office. “We really need to bring SVT back to its roots, into the mainstream of product development, if we’re going to take SVT to the next level. SVT needs to be an integral part of product development.”

So what can fans expect? Martens says SVT will maintain its core of high-performance V8-powered rear-wheel-drive vehicles. It will expand into inline four-cylinder cars as well. And it will break ground venturing into all-wheel-drive performance models. Turbo- and superchargers also figure prominently. And SVT will draw heavily on lessons learned developing the Ford GT, from its racing experience, and with engineers who bring cross-systems expertise.

Thai-Tang says under his stewardship he aims to make sure SVT core values of performance, exclusivity, substance and value remain intact. “It’s easy to build a strong-performing $100,000 car,” he says. “It’s a lot harder to do a strong-performing $20,000 car. You have to be a lot more creative.”

Martens admits even when you put all the pieces in place, you still must have “the moxie to develop the products—you have to have people with cars at the core of their essence.”

One of those guys, SVT papa Coletti, wishes his successors the best: “We’ve laid down a lot of rubber, and I hope the company will continue to do that.”

Lookin’ Live

When Ford rolls out the SVT Cobra version of its all-new Mustang at the New York auto show in March, take a peek underneath. If our sources are right, your prying eyes will spy a live rear axle—not an independent rear suspension, the setup that would be in keeping with the suspension on the outgoing model, and is therefore anticipated by the SVT Cobra faithful.

Ford execs are officially mum, including product chief Phil Martens, who said as recently as the Detroit auto show that no decision had been made on the Cobra’s suspension. Hau Thai-Tang, chief engineer on the 2005 Mustang and now SVT chief, did hint we can expect the next Cobra to surpass 400 hp (we hear 450 hp) and hit a price of about $40,000. The SVT Cobra goes on sale in 2006 as an ’07 model.
I still can't help but think that SVT will be building the 'Shelby' Cobra with design and engineering input from Carol.
Old 3/4/05, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mystic_Cobra@March 2, 2005, 9:18 PM
As crazyhorse said, this has been known for awhile now. What we've been told is that the NY Show this month will have the 07 Cobra Concept and next January at the Detriot show we'll see the unveiling of the production car which will go on sale in mid-06.
I know this, I just suspect otherwise.

Quick Reply: 2007 Cobra to be unveiled at New York Auto Show