05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/07, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what a 1st place National Show winner looks like!

Thanks SHR!!!
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-bettynatl1.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-bettynatl2.jpg  
Old 4/23/07, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Slim's car was lookin great too!
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-slim.jpg  
Old 4/24/07, 06:33 AM
GT Member

Cool

Originally Posted by PACETTR
Slim's car was lookin great too!
It also won FIRST in 05 Occasional Driver Class.
Old 4/25/07, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

marcello,

I sent you an email through your website on Monday 04/23/07 concerning the paint masks.

Thx
Old 4/26/07, 03:45 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just want to preface this by saying Daywalker and I have been having a nice private discussion about the damaged louver he had, and we've been trying to figure out what happened to cause a corner to chip out like that, as we've never seen it before. Lexan is not supposed to do that, and so it was back to the torture chambers again today to see what we could do. It was brought to my attention that the truck parked on top of the louver might not be "enough" of a good idea, since the dually might spread the mass out more, so....

Check out the pictures. As always, I don't recommend you try this, and we were wearing safety glasses just in case. That said...

We bent the part at ninety degrees with different corners clamped in a vise - no problem. Bending it back the other way did not cause it to fail at the stress point either.

We hit it with a 2 lb. ball peen hammer, using both the ball side and the flat side - no problem. The part deformed slightly at the point of impact, but this is to be expected - it did not though crack or shatter.

We stood on top of it while teetering on a parking curb, no problem, except that the concrete was being turned to dust at the point of contact

I even took a picture of the part after all that in front of one of our machining centers - and this is the part we just finished beating on. With nothing more than some sanding and paint work, it would be good to go on a car (although this was a scrap part, so don't worry, nobody is getting this one!)

Anyway, we're just saying that while it is possible to break anything given enough effort, the odds of you breaking your louvers are pretty slim given the material we chose and the process we use to make them. I'd say this failure was a case of "bad luck" and if we end up getting that piece back for inspection, we will hopefully be able to determine what, if anything, could be done to eliminate that from happening again.
Attached Images      
Old 4/26/07, 04:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Best customer service/company ethics ever. You guys are the greatest.
Old 4/26/07, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Eureka Springs 13 annual car show

While i didnt place 1st or 2nd, I did have way more than my share of questions concering the Silverhorse Racing louvers. My 05 is featured on the website and thanks for all the compliments. Thanks to Marcello for all the parts he sells, even though i didnt buy the Mach1 gas cap cover.
Every car has its Day and out of the 30+ 05-07 mustangs ours was the only one, with these louvers. But we had more than 30+ people come up to look through and at the louvers. Congrates to all that got theirs, and all those looking at mine!

Last edited by 2005mach1; 3/6/08 at 01:26 PM.
Old 4/26/07, 04:42 PM
GT Member

Maybe send it over to Myth Busters

I second the great customer service comment!
Old 4/26/07, 06:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I called him the day I had mine installed on the way home. I could not stop smiling and he knows it! Of all the stick-ons and bolt ons you can buy for this Mustang, these louvers are Class Act Top Notch design and construction. I only wish I could buy more from him, hint, hint, but I only own one Pony. My hat is off to Silver Horse Racing and their staff.
Old 4/26/07, 11:45 PM

I want to thank the guy @ Silverhorse Racing for all his help.
I don't want to discourage anyone from buying anything from this guy.
The louver breaking was my fault, just one of those freak things.
It may have even been caused by the shop I used to paint them.
Something in the prep maybe?
Old 4/27/07, 06:20 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks guys... we can't do it without you.

FYI - we just invested in a new CNC turn / mill machining center (if you have to ask how much...), and we're gearing up to be able to produce more quality parts as fast as we can, including looking at taking our current 3-axis CNC equipment into 4 or 5 axis for some pieces. The growth we have experienced lately though has caused us to have to take one step back to get inventory (lack of) under control, and we are desparately trying to keep our customer service at the same level we started at (some of you calling have noticed I'm not the only one answering the phones anymore ). Within a few more weeks we should be able to start moving forward again as we get a new chrome plate shop lined up and a backup shop for anodize work as well.

We just wrapped the Saleen PJ parts run, and now we're in talks with the "biggest" name in Mustangs besides Ford to do some custom work for them as well So of course, that is taking away a little time from our R&D on new products. But we appreciate everyone's comments and continued business, and we'll continue to move forward with more products as time allows - thanks again!!
Old 4/27/07, 06:31 PM
Cobra R Member

I can only assume that would mean Shelby? Are they ditching Scott Drake, or using you both?
Old 4/27/07, 06:52 PM
Legacy Tms Member

LOL - no fair - I can't say who yet, there's nothing at the moment, it's just a possibility that is out there...

In any case we are not looking to supplant Scott Drake - from what I have seen, they make some nice pieces, and they can continue to do so without worry that we'll be trying to take anything from them - we have our own product lines that we already are busy producing anyway. (sitting here babysitting a machine on Friday night is soooo much fun..)
Old 4/27/07, 06:53 PM
Cobra R Member

LOL I know. I just had to push for info. I didn't figure you'd being taking over Scott Drake's roll, just curious. You both have excellent products. I can't wait to get some of yours on my new car.
Old 4/28/07, 02:22 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I ordered the shifter trim bezel tonight, want the door handles as well but have wait a week or so here.
Old 4/28/07, 09:19 AM

Has anyone tried Nite Shader spray on tint on the clear part of the louvers yet?
I thought about doing this a while ago but wasn"t sure about how much visibility you would get from the inside.
This would look great on brighter colored cars like grabber orange and yellow.
Old 4/29/07, 04:40 PM
J&D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought...

I've tried different materials, expanded aluminum seems to match the sieve size of the old vents. Have yet to find the right material for the small fork tines of the old louvers. A toss between chrome door edge molding and stainless 1/8 inch stainless tubing..

They look a lot better in person. Sometimes, the aluminum reflects off the acrylic, refracting the light into primaries..
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-s5030410.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-s5030411.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Lair (9/17/20)
Old 4/29/07, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by J&D
I've tried different materials, expanded aluminum seems to match the sieve size of the old vents. Have yet to find the right material for the small fork tines of the old louvers. A toss between chrome door edge molding and stainless 1/8 inch stainless tubing..

They look a lot better in person. Sometimes, the aluminum reflects off the acrylic refracting, the light into primaries..
I found some Gutter Guards that look the same and easy to trim with tin snips. What did you use to attach them ?
Old 4/29/07, 04:48 PM
J&D

Sorry, forgot this one

What I was shooting for....
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-65054.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 4/29/07, 04:50 PM
J&D

Originally Posted by redbullet
I found some Gutter Guards that look the same and easy to trim with tin snips. What did you use to attach them ?
Grey 3M tape it is hidden behind the paint on the inside. I used this cool aluminum ribbon inside to hide it. I did not use tin snips because they seem to distort the shape of the vent. I used a band saw instead. Cut like butter.

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass