Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
11.11%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/14, 01:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
They say rings seat within the first hundred miles or so. But there was never any explanation why the 5.0's used so much for the first few thousand miles. Had to be ring related IMO Neither my 4.6 or my Cruiser's 2.4 I4 used any oil.
More and more I'm thinking I'm going to bring a catch can up with me to pick up my car because that'll be a long 1200 mile trip home...
Old 5/20/14, 01:51 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 609 Likes on 438 Posts
They say rings seat within the first hundred miles or so. But there was never any explanation why the 5.0's used so much for the first few thousand miles. Had to be ring related IMO

Neither my 4.6 or my Cruiser's 2.4 I4 used any oil.

My 4.6s or 5.4 didn't use any either.

I'd think if Dennis' car had burned a couple of quarts (not been low originally, or not leaked) in 100 or so miles there would have been visible smoke from that. Or if it leaked a couple quarts you would have seen something on the ground somewhere or smelled oil burning.

Of course we don't know how low it was yet so that is just speculation.
Old 5/20/14, 01:53 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by laserred38
More and more I'm thinking I'm going to bring a case of oil up with me to pick up my car because that'll be a long 1200 mile trip home...
Fixed.
Old 5/20/14, 02:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Fixed.
Old 5/20/14, 02:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Old 5/20/14, 02:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm betting 2 qts low at least to affect VVT. You never heard any valve rattle or tick did you?
It was just loss of power and shaking from the misfiring.

Originally Posted by laserred38
Yep I almost mentioned the 5.0s in that post. That's what I meant with PDI, the fluids should've been checked. And yeah, they *could* have been full from the factory, but the new Pentastar might have burned through that oil like the 5.0s did in 2011-12...
My 13 burned through it!

They say rings seat within the first hundred miles or so. But there was never any explanation why the 5.0's used so much for the first few thousand miles. Had to be ring related IMO

Neither my 4.6 or my Cruiser's 2.4 I4 used any oil.
Few thousand? It took 13K before mine started to get better!

My 4.6s or 5.4 didn't use any either.

I'd think if Dennis' car had burned a couple of quarts (not been low originally, or not leaked) in 100 or so miles there would have been visible smoke from that. Or if it leaked a couple quarts you would have seen something on the ground somewhere or smelled oil burning.

Of course we don't know how low it was yet so that is just speculation.
I just came back from the dealer. I didn't need to stop but it was bugging me and fearing the worst.

I talked with the shop foreman and explained everything. Unfortunately my retention of things I don't know much about is limited!

This was an oil leak at the oil filter cap. This engine has a filer cartridge and not the conventional oil filter we are used to. Googling it, I guess it's something like this.

Name:  IMG_5819.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  65.9 KB

When they cap was put on during manufacture, the O-ring didn't seat or seal properly causing it to leak.

He went on to explain about phasers, which i've never heard about before and and how they are very sensitive and something about an air pocket. But anyway, these things were not getting enough oil causing the timing to go off and cause the misfiring.

I'm sure Google can explain this better to those who understand it.

Oil loss was between a half quart and a quart. The issue should cause no damage to the engine.

They want to drive it some more to be sure all is running like it should, so i'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Last edited by denlem; 5/20/14 at 02:48 PM.
Old 5/20/14, 02:55 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by denlem

This was an oil leak at the oil filter cap. This engine has a filer cartridge and not the conventional oil filter we are used to. Googling it, I guess it's something like this.
Yep - that's Italian...

When they cap was put on during manufacture, the O-ring didn't seat or seal properly causing it to leak.

He went on to explain about phasers, which i've never heard about before and and how they are very sensitive and something about an air pocket. But anyway, these things were not getting enough oil causing the timing to go off and cause the misfiring.

I'm sure Google can explain this better to those who understand it.

Oil loss was between a half quart and a quart. The issue should cause no damage to the engine.

They want to drive it some more to be sure all is running like it should, so i'll be picking it up tomorrow.
So did you see 1/2 - 1 qt of oil pushed out the cap? Any smell of oil on a hot engine? Seems like you would notice that.

Also it doesn't sit right that only 1 qt loss of oil would affect VVT. Heck your dipstick allows usage of 1 qt from top to bottom of hash marks, and Owners Manual says to fill when at bottom of hash marks and not to overfill.

Oil pressure builds in the phaser (pushes vanes in a chamber) that changes the position of the camshaft within the camshaft sprocket (that connects the cam to the crank). (Same with our 4.6 & 5.0 variable cam timing.) Hence that build-up of oil pressure against the vanes (or reduction of oil pressure against the vanes) can advance or retard cam timing for better performance/emissions at various rpm's.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/20/14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 5/20/14, 03:09 PM

Yep - that's Italian...

So did you see 1/2 - 1 qt of oil pushed out the cap? Any smell of oil on a hot engine? Seems like you would notice that.

Also it doesn't sit right that only 1 qt loss of oil would affect VVT. Heck your dipstick allows usage of 1 qt from top to bottom of hash marks, and Owners Manual says to fill when at bottom of hash marks and not to overfill.

Oil pressure pushes against the phasers (vanes in a chamber) that changes the position of the camshaft within the camshaft sprocket (that connects the cam to the crank). (Same with our 4.6 & 5.0 variable cam timing.) Hence that build-up of oil pressure against the vanes (or reduction of oil pressure against the vanes) can advance or retard cam timing for better performance/emissions at various rpm's.
I've seen no oil on the ground. I didn't smell anything burning either until after it happened and I was coming up the driveway.
Old 5/20/14, 03:14 PM
Post *****

I've seen no oil on the ground. I didn't smell anything burning either until after it happened and I was coming up the driveway.
This is the Chrysler Pentastar V6 (pushrod) right?
Old 5/20/14, 03:19 PM
Post *****

This is the Chrysler Pentastar V6 (pushrod) right?
I'll be danged- its a DOHC:

Pop The Hood: 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L Pentastar V6 Engine
by Ryan ZumMallen on 10.11.2013 10:42

Though it’s only a few years old, the Chrysler line of Pentastar V6 engines is quickly earning a place among the most durable and versatile powerplants in recent memory. After the successful debut of the 3.6L Pentastar V6 that is currently available in everything from the Dodge Challenger to the Ram 1500, Chrysler is rolling out a new 3.2L version that will power the 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. After driving it off-road through the California hills, we decided to take a closer look.

The new 3.2L Pentastar V6 is very similar to its 3.6L bigger brother, but also differentiates itself in several key ways. With the introduction of the new 2014 Cherokee, Chrysler aimed to develop an engine that would make the crossover competitive when it comes to fuel economy, without losing off-road capability. That led to the 3.2L Pentastar V6, which makes 271 horsepower and 239 lb.-ft of torque while increasing fuel efficiency by 30% over the outgoing Patriot, to 19/28 MPG in the 4x2 Cherokee and 19/26 in the 4x4. Here’s how it works.

Just like the award-winning 3.6L, Chrysler’s new 3.2L Pentastar V6 engine sports a 60-degree, dual overhead cam design with an all-aluminum deep-skirt block. Also like the 3.6L, the 3.2L Pentastar features variable valve timing, lightweight forged steel connecting rods and eschews direct injection. Rather than pass the added cost of D.I. on to the consumer with minimal gains, the 3.2L Pentastar V6 in the 2014 Jeep Cherokee instead uses piston squirter jets to cool the combustion chamber.

more:

http://www.automedia.com/Blog/post/p...v6-engine.aspx

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/20/14 at 03:22 PM.
Old 5/20/14, 03:36 PM

I'll be danged- its a DOHC:
Was that a good "danged" or bad "danged"?
Old 5/20/14, 03:44 PM
Post *****

Was that a good "danged" or bad "danged"?
I meant I was surprised. I'm a DOHC fan. But Chrysler/Dodge has done pushrod V engines for so long it surprised me they went overhead cam. I thought sure the Pentastar V6 3.6 in the Challenger was a pushrod but maybe not.
Course my Cruiser 2.4 is a DOHC but is an I4.
Old 5/20/14, 04:12 PM

I meant I was surprised. I'm a DOHC fan. But Chrysler/Dodge has done pushrod V engines for so long it surprised me they went overhead cam. I thought sure the Pentastar V6 3.6 in the Challenger was a pushrod but maybe not.
Course my Cruiser 2.4 is a DOHC but is an I4.
I haven't paid attention to what Chrysler has for years. I think i'll be learning a lot, and fast!
Old 5/20/14, 05:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I meant I was surprised. I'm a DOHC fan. But Chrysler/Dodge has done pushrod V engines for so long it surprised me they went overhead cam. I thought sure the Pentastar V6 3.6 in the Challenger was a pushrod but maybe not. Course my Cruiser 2.4 is a DOHC but is an I4.
The 3.5 V6 was SOHC, the new 3.6 is DOHC.
Old 5/20/14, 09:53 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I've got to get back home tomorrow, I've had all of this I can take (I know my liver has, lol). I just can't stay down here for very long, I think I can at first, even be thinking I should just move down here, then it sets in. I get so homesick for the mountains and my kind of people that I can't stand it. I need those Appalachian foothills and mountains, the good people, etc. Just too danged flat and "busy" down here for my laid back pace.
Old 5/20/14, 09:58 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Jill,

that similar recipe that she has had for a long time calls for less butter. Just one stick instead of 1 and 1/3 and also one teaspoon of vanilla extract. She said she would try it next time with the 1 stick and cut the 1/3 stick in half. She said the butter started to pool on top and ran over the cupcake sleeves down into the muffin pan. They tasted pretty danged good to me, though I would like to try them with the vanilla added. I will when I get home.

Shes the one the sweet potato casserole recipe came from.

Yesterday was the first time I'd been to her house in many years and holy crap she wasn't kidding about collecting recipes as a hobby. She's got an entire bedroom stuffed from floor to ceiling full of books, bags of notes, notebooks, index cards, etc. of recipes.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 5/20/14 at 10:03 PM.
Old 5/21/14, 06:25 AM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts
Jill,

that similar recipe that she has had for a long time calls for less butter. Just one stick instead of 1 and 1/3 and also one teaspoon of vanilla extract. She said she would try it next time with the 1 stick and cut the 1/3 stick in half. She said the butter started to pool on top and ran over the cupcake sleeves down into the muffin pan. They tasted pretty danged good to me, though I would like to try them with the vanilla added. I will when I get home.

Shes the one the sweet potato casserole recipe came from.

Yesterday was the first time I'd been to her house in many years and holy crap she wasn't kidding about collecting recipes as a hobby. She's got an entire bedroom stuffed from floor to ceiling full of books, bags of notes, notebooks, index cards, etc. of recipes.
I'd like to try it with the vanilla added too. I'm just wondering if 1 tsp is too much since the recipe only yields 9 muffins. I wouldn't want it to be too overpowering

Is this the same one with the red velvet cake recipe that I still want you to get for me?
Old 5/21/14, 04:15 PM
Post *****

So Gary... feeling better? Thought you had one of those fancy iphone thingies to make a mobile report.
Old 5/21/14, 05:14 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
So Gary... feeling better? Thought you had one of those fancy iphone thingies to make a mobile report.
I honestly wanted to post when I felt better.

But I don't feel better yet. Had surgery last night from about 8-10pm. Got out of recovery room at midnight and while i was better than they expected me to be I though I felt a lot worse than anyone described to me.

I have no complications to speak of and the nurse tells me I have a perfect incision and it's healing nicely.

I'm connected to so many tubes I can barely move. I haven't been able to sleep a wink. If I try to fall asleep I usually startle myself awake almost immediately. I know it will get better but it's hard right now. Too many things to talk about and honestly it's probably a little gross. I think the thing I'm holding onto is that I should improve every day. And my long term goal is to go home Tuesday.
Old 5/21/14, 06:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Gary - thanks for the update. Bummer you had to have surgery but praying that you will heal quickly and this solves the problem. Get out of there quick man!

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast