2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/11 | 03:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Ran the Trackey hard today. Worth the coin even if I feel the lopey idle was diluted.
Yea took mine out for a shove today with TracKey and noticed the same thing. 45 degrees and sunny, car pulled hard and sounded better. I'm really liking TK even on the street. Just wish I didn't have to wait until April to use it on the track.
Old 11/6/11 | 04:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Just wish I didn't have to wait until April to use it on the track.
I wish that also Gary, it would be nice to get someone who is consistent out there a chance to run them side by side. I feel the throttle response but it did not make any real difference to me on track. The Boss pulled out of the corners pretty hard as it was, IMO that early response would be good for hundreds of a second not much more.

I would like to hear what people that feel the engine braking are seeing or feeling? Does the idle bump up when getting off the gas, mine does not. For those that feel this difference what do you think it is? It is my understanding that in newer cars, auto or manual, when you get off the gas it cuts fuel to the engine. So you are just pumping air into the cylinders, did track key change this and now we are still pumping an air/fuel mixture into the cylinders?

If that is the case I would think CARB would have had a cow over it. Also I don't see how that would help engine braking? It may but I do not understand how that works, so if someone knows please tell us about it. On the F150 when in tow/haul mode the auto downshifts early and it really helps you with that extra engine braking. Since the Boss is a manual trans I don't see the difference in shifting the black or red key at the same RPM's.

I'm
Old 11/6/11 | 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm in on my 2013. Seems like good deal for what it is. Giddy up.
Old 11/6/11 | 09:00 PM

Yeah, I dunno what all this "you wouldn't want to drive it on the street" chatter was about. The engine braking is very noticeable at low speeds and the car can surge at low speeds too, but these are easily preventable.

My gas mileage actually improved slightly lol
Old 11/7/11 | 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

From: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Originally Posted by 06GT
My gas mileage actually improved slightly lol

Thats because you removed some extra weight from the cars warranty and mileage..
Old 11/7/11 | 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I dunno what all this "you wouldn't want to drive it on the street" chatter was about. The engine braking is very noticeable at low speeds and the car can surge at low speeds too, but these are easily preventable.
Don't get stuck in stop 'n' go traffic
Old 11/7/11 | 10:03 AM
Rom
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
Us PA people have the worst of it all...a CARB/PZEV state, it's a commonwealth, crazy real estate taxes, insurance, floods, drought, and it goes from 100 degrees to snow in 30 days!
you can exagerate all of these numbers and you get : New Jersey... why am I here
Old 11/7/11 | 10:52 AM
V6 Member

Took the Boss on about a 200 mile road trip yesterday - back roads + radar detector + good weather = FUN. Love the engine braking. Wouldn't use the Trackey in stop and go but since the Boss isn't my DD, I suspect we'll be using the TK a lot on road trips.
Old 11/7/11 | 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kristin
Took the Boss on about a 200 mile road trip yesterday - back roads + radar detector + good weather = FUN. Love the engine braking. Wouldn't use the Trackey in stop and go but since the Boss isn't my DD, I suspect we'll be using the TK a lot on road trips.
You mean off-road trips, right?
Old 11/7/11 | 10:56 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Yeah it's not as bad as I expected it to be but still a little rough in slow stop and go traffic. I think the red key will get used the most.
Old 11/7/11 | 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
Found a video on YouTube explaining how to use the Trackey, and shows what you need to do to set the lopey Idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUvUC_kbmAk&sns=em
Ha, this douchebag just posted on my video saying:

I regret to inform you that although your video was uploaded on November 1st, it was filmed at night...and therefore your trackey tune was flashed on your car subsequent to mine. See "First 2012 Ford Racing Trackey install". We installed our program at 11:00am EST. Winning!
I didn't know there was a pissing contest about who was first , but the fact remains, my video was out there first. And I still contend that I was possibly the first customer/owner driving their own car with TK enabled. Who cares how much daylight was/wasn't present, my video was filmed at home in the driveway, not at a dealership with some salesman sitting in the drivers seat.

Last edited by black_bullitt; 11/7/11 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11/7/11 | 02:37 PM

Red Key Install

Went to Ken Grody Ford in Orange County this morning. Work on the red key install started at 8:30 and was completed by 9:25. My hats off to Jason. First impressions are similar to those who have posted already. Idle not nearly as lumpy as my 37 Ford with a 383 Chevy and Comp Cams 280H cam. That said, I am very happy with everything else.........especially the improved mid-range torque..........my wife loves the greater burble on decel..(one-half inch discs and FR500 mufflers). Can't wait for MMP next June.
Old 11/7/11 | 03:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 302 Gordon
Went to Ken Grody Ford in Orange County this morning. Work on the red key install started at 8:30 and was completed by 9:25. My hats off to Jason. First impressions are similar to those who have posted already. Idle not nearly as lumpy as my 37 Ford with a 383 Chevy and Comp Cams 280H cam. That said, I am very happy with everything else.........especially the improved mid-range torque..........my wife loves the greater burble on decel..(one-half inch discs and FR500 mufflers). Can't wait for MMP next June.
Does the FR500 mufflers sound better or louder? Or did you do it because there lighter?
Old 11/7/11 | 03:53 PM
GT Member

I went to my local dealer and they are not a Ford Racing Dealer. How much did Grody Ford Charge you for the install?
Old 11/7/11 | 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Went to get mine installed this morning..two hours later nothing..APPARENTLT my dealer didn't get the memo about updating their equipment!
Old 11/7/11 | 04:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SoCalBoss302
I went to my local dealer and they are not a Ford Racing Dealer. How much did Grody Ford Charge you for the install?
The dealer doesn't have to be a Ford Racing / Motorsport dealer to be able to sell and install this Trackey tune.

We did it at the dealership I work at, for the first time, this morning

Took the tech 3 tries to do it, only because in the instructions (he says) it doesn't say that you need to download a patch off trackey.ford.com (to be able to program the keys I believe).

but once done, it displayed the expected message on the dash, and he came back grinning from the roadtest

He said the sounds when lifting off were awesome, the gurgles/pops from the exhaust ... lol

This was on a Boss302 with the side exhaust baffles/plates removed ... I so wish I got to go on the roadtest ... lol

But the lopey idle was not there ... certainly not anywhere near what I heard in that Ford video ...
Old 11/7/11 | 04:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

You have FR500 mufflers or did you mean GT500 mufflers?
Old 11/7/11 | 04:23 PM
GT Member

Went to Ken Grody Ford in Orange County this morning. Work on the red key install started at 8:30 and was completed by 9:25.
That's where I got my car, and was planning on getting TracKey installed by them. I'm also curious to know how much they've charged you... Thanks!

Last edited by SoCalBoss; 11/7/11 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11/7/11 | 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalBoss

That's where I got my car, and was planning on getting TracKey installed by them. I'm also curious to know how much they've charged you... Thanks!
Does anyone's blink from track key use only to engine idle enabled?
Old 11/7/11 | 05:13 PM

[QUOTE="moboss"]

Does anyone's blink from track key active track use only to trackkey idle enabled? Mine does. No. 1625

Quick Reply: TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!