Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/11, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by badasbullitt
You know since California was so strict on this I am confused why Ford didn't have 2 trackeys. Seriously!

There is a California emissions and there is a standard emissions. I guess there is more to it than I realize.
There are 17 states using CARB standards. If you think it's not coming your way, think again.
Old 11/8/11, 04:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UnrealFord
I honestly hope they have a update for a trackey. Engine braking is nice, throttle response is better, launch control is handy, but darn it ,when the general public is next to you in your car and ask to hear Trackey there isn't ANYTHING to show unless they went for ride. My buddy says, Hey I thought its suppose to sound like that video you posted on your facebook, my reply ; Ford Bait and Switch, trickery.. If CARB made changes they should have.been open on anything that was altered.
LOL, the single best thing about Trackey or as you said "trickey" is going to the track now, I mean WOW what a difference when I get there and people start asking "you running the red key"?

Before I had to answer "no not yet" then get the usual "really, why not" then I have to take ten minutes to explain why California should secede from the union

Originally Posted by badasbullitt
You know since California was so strict on this I am confused why Ford didn't have 2 trackeys. Seriously!
We wish, rumor has it Ford wanted 50 state emissions for unknown reasons, if that is even true

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 11/8/11 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11/8/11, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I have to take ten minutes to explain why California should secede from the union

Maybe the rest of us can vote them out
Old 11/8/11, 05:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FAFP90

Maybe the rest of us can vote them out
Aw come on. You dont want to lose Joe (there, I got the name right). He is our biggest fan :-)
Old 11/8/11, 05:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Could be that the idle lope was numbed down intentionally since so many Trackey users will be driving the cars on the street instead of "track use only", maybe Ford didn't want its use to be publicized at traffic lights by simply hearing the car run

So Ford's looking out for the Boss302 owner that wants to use his race car on the street

That's one way to look at it, anyway ...

Old 11/8/11, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phiggs54

Aw come on. You dont want to lose Joe (there, I got the name right). He is our biggest fan :-)
I love you guys and a little hurt you guys don't feel the same for me.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 11/8/11 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11/8/11, 05:11 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

So it doesn't have good downforce either even with that giant splitter. Oh boy back to the drawing board. LOL
You mean the plastic snow plow if front of those things?
Old 11/8/11, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlsCobra

You mean the plastic snow plow if front of those things?
Yeah apparently that doesn't do anything for downforce. lol
Old 11/8/11, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Yeah apparently that doesn't do anything for downforce. lol
I thought that it served as a curb feeler or park assist. Stop when you hear crunch.
Old 11/8/11, 05:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra

I thought that it served as a curb feeler or park assist. Stop when you hear crunch.
Mine has been a "you cannot negotiate that dip" gauge once. And it isnt the big splitter
Old 11/8/11, 06:07 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by boss man
You are probably correct sense Ford hacked the real goodies out of TrackKey from what they were suppose to be.
So what "real goodies" were hacked out? Please list them. Seems to me Ford delivered on everything they said they would. The more I drive my Boss the more the lopey idle is just like the Track Attack cars. Ford all along said that TK would not increase HP and it doesn't. Doesn't sound like bait and switch to me.
Old 11/8/11, 06:21 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
So what "real goodies" were hacked out? Please list them. Seems to me Ford delivered on everything they said they would. The more I drive my Boss the more the lopey idle is just like the Track Attack cars. Ford all along said that TK would not increase HP and it doesn't. Doesn't sound like bait and switch to me.
Does your idle sound like this? If not, many people are going to feel mislead, bait and switch, whatever you want to call it. I'd wager that the vast majority of owners will never drive their Boss on a track, and the engine braking, etc. will never be of any real use to them the way they will drive their cars on the street. The idle on the other hand, would be very noticeable, and a nice conversation piece at shows, cruise ins, and stop lights. I'd say many people were drawn to that old school muscle car sound, and was the only real reason they were interested in Trackey, and from the vids I've heard of it, they didn't get anything close to what was promoted to them as the cars were being marketed.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 11/8/11 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11/8/11, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Does your idle sound like this? If not, many people are going to feel mislead, bait and switch, whatever you want to call it. I'd wager that the vast majority of owners will never drive their Boss on a track, and the engine braking, etc. will never be of any real use to them the way they will drive their cars on the street. The idle on the other hand, would be very noticeable, and a nice conversation piece at shows and cruise ins. I'd say many people were drawn to that old school muscle car sound, and was the only real reason they were interested in Trackey, and from the vids I've heard of it, they didn't get anything close to what was promoted to them as the cars were being marketed.
It's called TracKey. Enough said. The idle is the same as it was on the cars at Track Attack. Enough said. I still don't see or hear any bait and switch.
Old 11/8/11, 06:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
If I had a dollar for everytime somebody wanted to know why they were a V6 member and how they could change it.

It's like being told you have a small pecker or something. It really bothers people.

Yes it does, its also like being told the only thing track key does is give you a lopey idle. (or not)
(27 to go)

Last edited by davegush; 11/8/11 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11/8/11, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's called TracKey. Enough said. The idle is the same as it was on the cars at Track Attack. Enough said. I still don't see or hear any bait and switch.

Rick, unfortunately I as well as many others on this Forum disagree. The idle is not the same. And it is not just a case of “enough said”. The lopey idle has been watered down. And considerably.
As RBB states below, Trickkey has been a bait and switch.
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Does your idle sound like this? If not, many people are going to feel mislead, bait and switch, whatever you want to call it. I'd wager that the vast majority of owners will never drive their Boss on a track, and the engine braking, etc. will never be of any real use to them the way they will drive their cars on the street. The idle on the other hand, would be very noticeable, and a nice conversation piece at shows, cruise ins, and stop lights. I'd say many people were drawn to that old school muscle car sound, and was the only real reason they were interested in Trackey, and from the vids I've heard of it, they didn't get anything close to what was promoted to them as the cars were being marketed.

And he is right, IMO.

The irony of this whole episode (and which many of you think “ohhhh it’s ok, things are just fine”) the lopey idle was the genesis for the whole trackkey idea. Quoting from an article written by Mr. Tom Wilson for 5.0-

“It all started, as Jeff Seaman told us, with a request from The Program (Ford-speak for the Boss 302 program managers) for a lopey idle.”

Before I continue let that sink in a minute. The FIRST ITEM ON THE BOSS 302 MANAGERS AGENDA WAS TO GIVE THE CAR A LOPEY IDLE. A Lopey idle was their PRIMARY got-to-have to launch dual path PCM programming. Not engine braking, not throttle response, not launch control, Program Management wanted a bad sounding lopey idle.

Ok, to continue, “And that was it. That was the mode, the lopey-idle mode…A lot of us that were non-calibrators, and myself with a calibration background, sat down…and said, ‘What else could be put in?’…And so we outlined this basic idea of, ‘Hey, let’s do unique variable cam timing. Some stuff stayed in, some stuff got thrifed that didn’t make sense as we started to dig through it…”

Sorry, my opinion is the primary directive for the whole TK initiative was the idle characteristics, which have been altered to an extent that some hear little or no idle difference. Bait and switch, bowing to CARB and Ford Racing trying to get something, ANYTHING out the door to the owners who have had their cars for 8+ months and are raising Cain about when they will deliver as promised. Unfortunately, they did not.
Old 11/8/11, 07:56 PM

You guys do realize that the lopey idle is nothing more than a playing card in your spokes. It should be called fake cam instead. If you want lope, replace your cams and get some real gain out of it. Or just unplug a coil.
Old 11/8/11, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Rick, unfortunately I as well as many others on this Forum disagree. The idle is not the same. And it is not just a case of “enough said”. The lopey idle has been watered down. And considerably.
I stand by my statement that it's the same as the car I drove at TA. I did not say it was the same as the one in the video, it is not. We didn't even notice the lopey idle until we pulled off the track when the cars were hot. I noticed the shaking before I noticed the idle.
Old 11/8/11, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I stand by my statement that it's the same as the car I drove at TA.
You're not alone.
Old 11/8/11, 09:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
As RBB states below, Trickkey has been a bait and switch.

And he is right, IMO.

The irony of this whole episode (and which many of you think “ohhhh it’s ok, things are just fine”) the lopey idle was the genesis for the whole trackkey idea. Quoting from an article written by Mr. Tom Wilson for 5.0-

“It all started, as Jeff Seaman told us, with a request from The Program (Ford-speak for the Boss 302 program managers) for a lopey idle.”

Before I continue let that sink in a minute. The FIRST ITEM ON THE BOSS 302 MANAGERS AGENDA WAS TO GIVE THE CAR A LOPEY IDLE. A Lopey idle was their PRIMARY got-to-have to launch dual path PCM programming. Not engine braking, not throttle response, not launch control, Program Management wanted a bad sounding lopey idle.

Ok, to continue, “And that was it. That was the mode, the lopey-idle mode…A lot of us that were non-calibrators, and myself with a calibration background, sat down…and said, ‘What else could be put in?’…And so we outlined this basic idea of, ‘Hey, let’s do unique variable cam timing. Some stuff stayed in, some stuff got thrifed that didn’t make sense as we started to dig through it…”

Sorry, my opinion is the primary directive for the whole TK initiative was the idle characteristics, which have been altered to an extent that some hear little or no idle difference. Bait and switch, bowing to CARB and Ford Racing trying to get something, ANYTHING out the door to the owners who have had their cars for 8+ months and are raising Cain about when they will deliver as promised. Unfortunately, they did not.
I agree, we received a TRICK KEY, Not the Trackey! ! LoL
Old 11/9/11, 07:24 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
Just went for a shove using TracKey. Pulled into our underground garage at work and was caught off guard by the lopey idle as everything's louder inside. I honestly haven't paid much attention to the idle when I've driven it with TK the past week, so today I listened a little more closely. There's definitely a different, noticably lopey idle with TK.
Originally Posted by jerkstore
Got the car back this afternoon. I took it thru some paces on the street and highway. Initial thoughts are that I like it. Worth the money. It might not idle as lopey and loud as I had thought it would, but I feel the engine braking and it does sound a bit louder and different.
Hey awesome members!

The following info should answer some of your questions. I did some digging and this is what I found from FRPP and the TracKey:

1) Lopey idle is significantly more pronounced with the side exhaust plates completely removed. It is also more pronounced with the A/C off. Combustion stability increases with increasing engine load, so anything that increases engine load (such as A/C) will decrease the "lopeyness" of the idle, which is created by increasing cam overlap at idle to simulate the "racing cam" sound and feel of 60's muscle cars. This is purely the physics of the way internal combustion engines work.

2) One of the videos in circulation shows a prototype level of TracKey software that was not emissions legal. No claim was made as to that being the final product. The level of cam overlap was slightly reduced to pass emissions. We worked very hard to meet emissions regulations and provide the industry-first lopey idle feature, and we feel we've reached the optimal solution that satisfies both criteria.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! Have a good one!

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 11/9/11 at 07:28 AM.

Quick Reply: TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!