2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/11 | 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow! I got the TracKey installed this morning - one hiccup, the software had to be redownloaded. Other than that, install was smooth.

As others have mentioned, I noticed the initial higher idle speed right off. After a blip of the throttle came the lopey idle. Out for the drive, the throttle response and engine braking are real noticeable at low speeds. Word of caution - at low speeds make sure you don't lift off the throttle if someone is tailgating - it's like throwing a boat anchor out the back! The engine overrun sound when lifting off at highway type speeds reminds me of the sound I heard in the '71 351 Cleveland. After a bunch of fun, spirited driving, I parked, and opened the door - I swear I could SMELL a difference in the exhaust. This TracKey hits all the senses

Is it worth it - to me it sure is! I was grinning from ear to ear when I parked.
Old 11/3/11 | 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Great Review!
Old 11/3/11 | 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

has anyone gotten the 'lopey idle' message?

when I start the car with TK, I get 'trackey active, track use only'...then a few minutes into driving I get another chime and a message that says something like 'trackey active, trackey engine enabled'...I've yet to see a message about the idle that the literature seems to indicate we should be seeing.
Old 11/3/11 | 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fuhrius
when I start the car with TK, I get 'trackey active, track use only'...then a few minutes into driving I get another chime and a message that says something like 'trackey active, trackey engine enabled'...I've yet to see a message about the idle that the literature seems to indicate we should be seeing.
I haven't, but maybe you get that message only if you deactiated the lopey idle at some point, and then the message is to tell you it's back on again?????
Old 11/3/11 | 11:07 AM
Cobra R Member

any Ford - and even any Lincoln - dealer can install.
I know, but there was initial confusion in this regard and dealers who tried to order it were told they could not. So FRPP were not filling orders for TK to those dealers.
Old 11/3/11 | 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

hmmm

Originally Posted by Whammer
I know, but there was initial confusion in this regard and dealers who tried to order it were told they could not. So FRPP were not filling orders for TK to those dealers.
my dealer is not an frpp dealer but was not told that...FRPP fulfilled the order the first day it was available...my dealer then fixed the software download issue that others were having, and installed it in a couple cars that very first day.
Old 11/3/11 | 11:52 AM

my dealer is not an frpp dealer but was not told that...FRPP fulfilled the order the first day it was available...my dealer then fixed the software download issue that others were having, and installed it in a couple cars that very first day.
I stopped by my local dealer's FRPP store front at lunch. Asked them about TK programming, they said they don't have it yet and did not know when they would be getting it. Did not seem to excited to pursue it. I guess I will not be getting it in the immediate future. However they are not where I purchased my Boss so no pull there.
Old 11/3/11 | 11:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Can someone else take time to provide a video, id love to hear it from the rear exits on mufflers. Please..
Old 11/3/11 | 11:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54

I stopped by my local dealer's FRPP store front at lunch. Asked them about TK programming, they said they don't have it yet and did not know when they would be getting it. Did not seem to excited to pursue it. I guess I will not be getting it in the immediate future. However they are not where I purchased my Boss so no pull there.
My original dealer isn't installing it either, my dealer had to call with my info and pay for tune, then today they received the packet with blue paperwork that provides the code to enter during the software install.
Old 11/3/11 | 12:12 PM
GT Member

Installed today with out any problems. Will see how it works on Sat.
Old 11/3/11 | 12:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
Installed today with out any problems. Will see how it works on Sat.
How's it sound and feel as expected? Any chance you could put up a video? : )
Old 11/3/11 | 12:37 PM
V6 Member

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere and I missed it, but I just noticed that there's now a "TracKey Installation Patch for Dealers Only 1.0" link on the TracKey site (http://www.trackey.ford.com/trackey/). Interesting way to distribute a patch for dealer software.
Old 11/3/11 | 12:56 PM

At dealer now. There was an issue during the flash. It got to 38% then crashed. Now the software isn't reading it anymore. Tech called Ford and they have to reprogram all my keys and give me a new voucher ID since the first one failed. This could take a while.
Old 11/3/11 | 01:13 PM
FR500 Member

any Ford - and even any Lincoln - dealer can install.

a note regarding using trackey:
- yesterday, I spent a lot of time driving with TK, then my car sat for an hour or so before I went back out...this time non-TK taking my daughter to soccer practice (I coach). when I started the car (non TK), the idle was very low...so low, in fact, that the car stalled. I re-started it and it felt like it was going to do it again, so I have to keep the revs up a bit manually. in the first few minutes of driving the car felt unsure of what paramaters to use...then it normalized after a few minutes. no big deal...just interesting.
That's probably normal if you haven't used the regular key since your car was reprogrammed. The PCM has to relearn the idle settings. There should be something in the owner's manual with respect to this and replacing the battery.
Old 11/3/11 | 01:49 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm just telling you what others have encountered. Even some FRPP dealers (including the one who was unable to order it for me) were told they could not order it.
Hence the reason for the memo that Ford will be sending out on monday.
Old 11/3/11 | 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jerkstore
At dealer now. There was an issue during the flash. It got to 38% then crashed. Now the software isn't reading it anymore. Tech called Ford and they have to reprogram all my keys and give me a new voucher ID since the first one failed. This could take a while.
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll be up and running soon. Us early adopters are helping those behind us have an easier experience.

Before my tech did my car, he connected my Boss' battery to a charger, and he connected his laptop to one of those uninterruptible power supplies to make sure both the car and his laptop would not lose power during the whole process. He said it's really, really BAD news if either the vehicle or his laptop lose power during a reflash. I didn't ask him if he'd learned that first hand...
Old 11/3/11 | 02:30 PM

I guess my tech is going to find that out first hand. He did the same with the UPS and trickle charger, but something messed up and fried the tune. Its dead right now and I am in the dealer shuttle going home. Ford Racing told them to call Ford to fix it and I don't have faith that this will be fixed soon. oh well.
Old 11/3/11 | 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

How often do you see the message "TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED" ???

I don't think I've seen it yet, but I have heard the change to a lopey idle after blipping the throttle.
Old 11/3/11 | 02:53 PM

I guess my tech is going to find that out first hand. He did the same with the UPS and trickle charger, but something messed up and fried the tune. Its dead right now and I am in the dealer shuttle going home. Ford Racing told them to call Ford to fix it and I don't have faith that this will be fixed soon. oh well.
OUCH
Old 11/3/11 | 02:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wow, that's a bummer. The upside is the dealer was doing the install. If it would have happened with an after-market handheld (I've seen that happen), it would be on your dime for a new PCM, or at least for the dealer to unlock it if it wasn't fried.

Quick Reply: TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!