Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/11, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Dye, for that information.
Old 11/9/11, 07:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And there it is. It was indeed an emissions certification issue. I'd love to see the results of the failed attempts just to see which standards couldn't be met and by how much...
Old 11/9/11, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I can see them watering down the original idle just so they do not destroy the catalytic convertors before the 8 year, 80,000 mile emissions warranty expires. All that unburned fuel dumped into the cats at idle can't be good for them! Then again, maybe Ford will void that warranty with the use of Trackey (just kidding, I don't want to start another warrranty issue thread).
Old 11/9/11, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tob*
And there it is. It was indeed an emissions certification issue. I'd love to see the results of the failed attempts just to see which standards couldn't be met and by how much...
Tob, you are absolutely correct...again.

There is the admission of watering down the valve overlap (which causes the lopey idle) due to "certification" emission issues. That has been opined by several as the chief cause and now it is revealed and substantiated.

Yes, the prototypes did have a non-certified beta software load, but if Ford did not believe they had a chance to certify this level of aggressive overlap, why in the heck put it out there for enthusiasts to hear, get excited about and build expectations to that level? Another of many miscues.

With regard to damage to the catalytic converter, and the statement, “All that unburned fuel dumped into the cats at idle can't be good for them!” I am not sure that is a valid concern. With electronic fuel injection the injection of fuel into the inlet charge can easily be timed to occur when and where it is needed within the induction sequence. If TiVCT technology can be used by Ford to alter cam timing to produce intake/exhaust valve overlap (which produces the lopey idle) it would seem reasonable the engineers could also alter injector fuel delivery sequencing during the lopey valve overlap such that the referred to overage of fuel to fowl the converter is really not present. I really think as Tod states above this was purely an emissions flunking issue.
Old 11/9/11, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Deysha!
Old 11/9/11, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

...Mr Lund just might be a little busier now!!!
Old 11/9/11, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Glad to have beaten Ford to the punch!
Old 11/9/11, 12:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Hey awesome members!

The following info should answer some of your questions. I did some digging and this is what I found from FRPP and the TracKey:

1) Lopey idle is significantly more pronounced with the side exhaust plates completely removed. It is also more pronounced with the A/C off. Combustion stability increases with increasing engine load, so anything that increases engine load (such as A/C) will decrease the "lopeyness" of the idle, which is created by increasing cam overlap at idle to simulate the "racing cam" sound and feel of 60's muscle cars. This is purely the physics of the way internal combustion engines work.

2) One of the videos in circulation shows a prototype level of TracKey software that was not emissions legal. No claim was made as to that being the final product. The level of cam overlap was slightly reduced to pass emissions. We worked very hard to meet emissions regulations and provide the industry-first lopey idle feature, and we feel we've reached the optimal solution that satisfies both criteria.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! Have a good one!

Deysha
Thank you Deysha
Old 11/9/11, 12:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 12C/OBoss
...Mr Lund just might be a little busier now!!!
Well, though I am disappointed in the idle, I feel I am happy with the Throttle response, Engine braking, launch control etc etc,
If I had a choice over Trackey or Lund performance tune with Idle, I would still take the Trackey, for all the other features.

I wish I knew the guy who wrote the trackey program, I would have told him to secretly put in a 200 key start tune, meaning after emissions being past CARB, it woulndt have been for 500 miles before the lopey idle kicked in

Last edited by UnrealFord; 11/9/11 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 12:55 PM
V6 Member

I'm wondering if the "emissions" issues had to do with CARB or some other of the 7,894,349,647 emissions regulations the various bureaucracies use to torture our car makers and the car buying public.

If it was actually CARB alone, I live in Florida. I'm thinking that if Ford wanted to make it happen, those of us living in non-CARB states could get the "good" tune from Ford at some point in time.

It would be a win/win for everyone. First, it would only be some simple programming on Ford's end that would be easy to offer only to non-CARB state dealers and only for non-CARB state residents. They'd make thousands happy.

Second, it would take the blame off of Ford. For those who can't get the "good" tune, their (nanny) state would be the bad guys, not Ford.

Yes, of course all of the above is nothing but pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking - but I can dream, can't I?
Old 11/9/11, 01:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by servitium
I'm wondering if the "emissions" issues had to do with CARB or some other of the 7,894,349,647 emissions regulations the various bureaucracies use to torture our car makers and the car buying public.

If it was actually CARB alone, I live in Florida. I'm thinking that if Ford wanted to make it happen, those of us living in non-CARB states could get the "good" tune from Ford at some point in time.

It would be a win/win for everyone. First, it would only be some simple programming on Ford's end that would be easy to offer only to non-CARB state dealers and only for non-CARB state residents. They'd make thousands happy.

Second, it would take the blame off of Ford. For those who can't get the "good" tune, their (nanny) state would be the bad guys, not Ford.

Yes, of course all of the above is nothing but pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking - but I can dream, can't I?
When you get that non-CARB tune, just don't take your red key with you when you drive to CA. That way you won't kill any of their polar bears.
Old 11/9/11, 01:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by servitium

I just posted this in another thread:

With the understanding that the lopey idle causes overrun which generates unburnt fuel and with this comment directly from Ford:

"Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Hey awesome members!

The following info should answer some of your questions. I did some digging and this is what I found from FRPP and the TracKey:

2) One of the videos in circulation shows a prototype level of TracKey software that was not emissions legal. No claim was made as to that being the final product. The level of cam overlap was slightly reduced to pass emissions. We worked very hard to meet emissions regulations and provide the industry-first lopey idle feature, and we feel we've reached the optimal solution that satisfies both criteria.

Deysha"

Does anyone think the tune in the video below would pass ANY states smog certification let alone CARB? I bet it was never even submitted to CARB for certification. BTW Ford knew all along they would have to receive a CARB certification on TK just like they do on all of their tunes and engine mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p8WQj9apw
Old 11/9/11, 01:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0

With the understanding that the lopey idle causes overrun which generates unburnt fuel and with this comment directly from Ford:

"Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Hey awesome members!

Deysha"

Does anyone think the tune in the video below would pass ANY states smog certification let alone CARB? I bet it was never even submitted to CARB for certification. BTW Ford knew all along they would have to receive a CARB certification on TK just like they do on all of their tunes and engine mods.

No I dont believe it would, but my car doesnt sound like this FORDRACING Video either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiWSr-Ax8K4
Old 11/9/11, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0

Rick, I have no reason to think it would not pass any certification effort. Do you?

And I would think it entirely possible given the promotional exposure FR gave the beta version of TK at car show demonstrations, promotional videos and trackattach cars that this was almost certainly the software package which was submitted to CARB for certification. Again do you have any specific knowledge to the contrary?
Old 11/9/11, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
No I dont believe it would, but my car doesnt sound like this FORDRACING Video either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiWSr-Ax8K4
Mine doesn't either. That video was released months before the video I posted was and says development in the title. That tune was never going to pass any smog certification either.
Old 11/9/11, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cloud9
OK, taking another shot at this. I saw the email about TracKey availability on November 1st and immediately contacted my dealer. They had it ordered within 30 minutes and I was told I'll have it by early next week I for one am really jacked about this. I can't wait to get it on the dyno to see the differences, but more importantly can't wait to put it to use on the track.

For those that are planning to order TracKey, please post up. I know it has a snowball's chance in hell of happening, but I'd love to have at least one TracKey thread for those of us that are installing it and want to talk about its potential benefits versus being querulous. Just remember, none of the Chevy, Porsche or BMW boys have this!
Got Trackey installed 11/4/11-& found out it will NOT download (Install) if skip-shift has been disabled!
Old 11/9/11, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Rick, I have no reason to think it would not pass any certification effort. Do you?

And I would think it entirely possible given the promotional exposure FR gave the beta version of TK at car show demonstrations, promotional videos and trackattach cars that this was almost certainly the software package which was submitted to CARB for certification. Again do you have any specific knowledge to the contrary?
As I stated in my full post the lopey idle causes unburnt fuel. Unburnt fuel will increase emissions. I read the tunes on the cars at TA, and I attended August 31st, were the tunes submitted for certification. I posted then that people were going to be disappointed in TK mainly because it didn't feel that much different driving on the track. The idle seems the same on my car as it did on the TA cars. I only noticed the lopey idle after pulling off the track and felt the car shaking. I notice my car shaking more when I'm driving in stop and go traffic using TK.
Old 11/9/11, 01:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Enough already; no amount of *****ing is going to get the idle changed to what it was in the development videos. If the idle was the most important thing for you, don't buy TK.

/thread
Old 11/9/11, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by kwik302
Got Trackey installed 11/4/11-& found out it will NOT download (Install) if skip-shift has been disabled!
That's incorrect and my car is proof of that. Disabling SS throws a code and the code has to be cleared before the download can start.
Old 11/9/11, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 06GT
Enough already; no amount of *****ing is going to get the idle changed to what it was in the development videos. If the idle was the most important thing for you, don't buy TK.

/thread
Or if you're not happy with it have it removed and ask for a refund.

Quick Reply: TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!