2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/11, 01:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DFV
Impressions?

I'm scheduled for an install on Monday or Tuesday of next week. Most folks seem to agree that there is a noticeable change in engine braking, throttle response and exhaust sound. Is drivability improved? How about the dreaded 1 - 4 skip shift feature that is disabled, does it make for smoother shifting all the time?
I really haven't had trouble shifting on the street, other than the occasional annoyance of skip shift (which I should disable). It does eliminate that which is nice, but skip shift engages at relatively low RPM and drivability at low RPM is degraded with TracKey, so it's probably a wash. That said it shifts great under aggressive driving. I'll be curious to see if it seems any different on track. I don't miss many shifts, but did miss 3-4 a couple times on one track that requires a short shift at Turn 7. If you don't have the clutch pedal buried when shifting it won't go and I just got a little lazy in those cases.
Old 11/4/11, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.... I feel great now as my dealer is charging $116 for the install, $302 for it and then the "freight" to ship it to the dealer...... are you kidding me??? But whatever, I'm excited and will be able to get it done tomorrow morning. Hopefully they do it right this time.
Old 11/4/11, 02:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My impressions after a 1 hr drive around.

1) Big difference in pulling power, seems to come on faster, like the tune added torque down low.

2) When driving around a parking lot or slow traffic, what you will notice when letting off the gas, is that the front of the car seems to drop down as it abruptly comes down in RPM.

3) When cruising and letting off gas you get even more burbling and popping when decelerating.

4>) Didnt try the 2 stage launch.

5) Car is defiantly louder idleing

6) Lopey idle is non existant to me except the car will bounce around when at a redlight, but to the ear, I dont hear anything even if I stand in back or at sides.

Summary: It cost me $431.00 after tax. ( % 8.75)

Do I feel it was worth it? Yes, the torque is amazing, and I am sure when on a track it will help considerbly.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 11/4/11 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11/4/11, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
Mine did.

TracKey tune - $302
1 hr labor - $85
Tax - $23
Total - $410
What dealership did you use? Mine wants to charge...
Kit $302.00

Tax 29.39

Shipping 15.00

Labor 138.00

Shop Supplies 13.80

Total $498.19

Old 11/4/11, 02:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by badasbullitt
What dealership did you use? Mine wants to charge...
Kit $302.00

Tax 29.39

Shipping 15.00

Labor 138.00

Shop Supplies 13.80

Total $498.19
Wow!! Thats high. Mine was $386 then a 10% club discount. Which dealership in Raleigh?
Old 11/4/11, 02:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I have been barking up that tree for months to just find out what exactly sport mode changes in the Advancedtrack settings. I have written Ford, asked the reps at shows, had the guys at the dealer try to ask about it and have heard back nothing. Not holding my breath on this ....

You are not alone, while I plan on getting it I have spoke to two people down here that really wanted Trackey and are opting out now

you may already know this but, sport mode makes the car allow wheel spin in a straight line without traction control activating. if it senses the car get sideways a hair, it will then step in and kill the fun. Normal TC will shut you down the second it feels any spin. I've messed around and forgot to turn TC off at the track a few times and wondered for 10 minutes why the car won't rotate.

i have run more with sport mode on than anything and i have only felt it activate once and i was pushing hard at the time, or at least hard for my level of experience. sport mode will allow the car to rotate normally and if you frack up really quickly it wont save you. ive not gone off the track in any of my track days, but ive gone in too hot and lost steering and been sideways enough to pucker a sphincter without sport mode stepping in I run w everything off now.
Old 11/4/11, 03:07 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PTRocks
Thanks Deysha,
However, I wasn't asking if installing TracKey is a problem. I am talking about actually using it. Meaning specifically, using TracKey implies taking the car on the track. If anything happens to the car (let's say a wheel bearing or a suspension failure), is the failure covered under warranty? It's not likely that TracKey would be the direct cause.
Hey PTRocks and members,

Only when TracKey is deemed responsible for the damage will it fall under the reduced warranty, and all other concerns are covered under the original warranty. Basically, if the problem is caused by the TracKey it will only be covered under the 3yr/36k warranty. Everything else remains the same. Also, here is where you can find FRPP dealers in your area.

Deysha
Old 11/4/11, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Deysha coming through again in the clutch.

On a side note, if anyone can help me, my dealer just called me and said they were locked out of the programming and thus can not program the key tomorrow morning. They said they will give me a call when they figure it out but I honestly don't think they'll get it right. What can I do to help them, help me?

It is worth noting that I attempted to install it on Weds but it was taking significantly longer than the supposed 1 hour of install and I needed my Boss to make a meeting thus I got them to give me the car back. I've read that they might have to re-download everything, so if someone could confirm so I can send them down the right track, it'd be much appreciated.
Old 11/4/11, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine goes in Monday morning for install. Had to postpone due to 13+ inches of snow on the ground
Old 11/4/11, 03:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by JScheier
Mine goes in Monday morning for install. Had to postpone due to 13+ inches of snow on the ground
Old 11/4/11, 03:45 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9

Old 11/4/11, 03:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
This made me laugh.
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
The chains on the front keep them from sliding backwards while the rear wheels are spinning!!!
Old 11/4/11, 05:39 PM
GT Member

ha ha ha ha chains

trackchains?

Last edited by davegush; 11/4/11 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11/4/11, 06:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I only use chains on the track when running Time Trials--the fastest line around the track usually involves taking a shortcut through the middle
Old 11/4/11, 06:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UnrealFord
My impressions after a 1 hr drive around.

1) Big difference in pulling power, seems to come on faster, like the tune added torque down low.

3) When cruising and letting off gas you get even more burbling and popping when decelerating.

5) Car is defiantly louder idleing

6) Lopey idle is non existant to me except the car will bounce around when at a redlight, but to the ear, I dont hear anything even if I stand in back or at sides.
Agreed with the above. I am unsure about the torque thing not doubting the torque just don't know if I am good enough to be able to state that for sure.

I feel a snappier throttle response. One thing is for sure - I will load the car up using the black key.

I think the loudness comes more from the extra 100 RPM idle then anything else.

Originally Posted by 06GT
I only use chains on the track when running Time Trials--the fastest line around the track usually involves taking a shortcut through the middle
That might be a good idea next time I don't get that point by
Old 11/4/11, 07:38 PM
GT Member

[QUOTE=2
I feel a snappier throttle response. One thing is for sure - I will load the car up using the black key.[/QUOTE]

Different form of Launch Control

2012 yellow boss, UnrealFord - Actually Ford does advertise more low end torque so your seat of pants experience ain't lying.

Last edited by davegush; 11/4/11 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11/4/11, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 69mustangman
Wow!! Thats high. Mine was $386 then a 10% club discount. Which dealership in Raleigh?
That was Crossroads Ford in Wake Forest which I believe is only an estimate because the manager is not sure of how long it will take to program etc.

But Crossroads in Cary is charging $75 for labor + 302 + tax. I will take it there if I decide to have it done.

What club discount allows 10%?

Last edited by badasbullitt; 11/4/11 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11/4/11, 07:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by davegush
Different form of Launch Control

2012 yellow boss, UnrealFord - Actually Ford does advertise more low end torque so your seat of pants experience ain't lying.
The dyno charts I posted at BMO don't show it though .......
Old 11/4/11, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey PTRocks and members,

Only when TracKey is deemed responsible for the damage will it fall under the reduced warranty, and all other concerns are covered under the original warranty. Basically, if the problem is caused by the TracKey it will only be covered under the 3yr/36k warranty. Everything else remains the same. Also, here is where you can find FRPP dealers in your area.

Deysha
Deysha,

How will ford know if Trackey causes any powertrain failures? I assume if you have the car programmed you are automatically covered under 3yr/ 36K regardless. I doubt there is any way to detect if Trackey is the culprit should there be a powertrain issue.
Old 11/4/11, 08:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Picked my car back up today. Somewhat underwhelmed and disappointed by the idle. And if the change is because of CARB, they screwed up as I putting more pollution in the air waiting for everything to warm up to blip the throttle and engage it. As for more pops and burbles, my car was already exceptional in that area so no change noted there. I did notice the snappier throttle response and engine braking. On another not there is an unpleasant harmonic buzz from the exhaust under hard acceleration. I suspect the dealer may have damaged the side exhaust when hoisting the car as this happened at another dealer. I'll check it out under day light and report any other things I notice.

Quick Reply: TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!