2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/11, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For only $302, Boss owners get one heck of a lot of content. Factory developed and warranty protected. Regular GT owners were paying top dollar just for a ghost cam tune - when they could.

You should all be thankful that Ford was able to make this happen AT ALL, given current environmental/political concerns.
Old 11/2/11, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
I swear you could hand some people a free sack of gold and they'd complain it's too heavy. *sigh*
I wouldn't pass the sack
Old 11/2/11, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Oh I guess people thought it was LopeyIdleKey....
Boomer, you mischaracterize the above criticism of TK specifically for the lopey idle. It has been acknowledged by many posts that TK does far more than just provide the owner with a lopey idle. It is purported to alter over 600 engine parameters to provide a race tune for the track. So I ask you, how do you determine if the tune delivers on that promise of alteration?

You have no way to assess these internal software changes. Unless you put the car on a dyno and make back-to-back runs and compare DATA. And that of course will come. But, the audio signature of a TK programmed Boss and a black key tune is known. U Tube has captured many sound bites and many owners have gone to early TA sessions where Beta versions of the TK software were previously loaded and experienced by the owners. Subjective to the listener, sure, but if say 15 people heard the old lopey idle demo car and have now heard the certified version and most of these say it is different, that is at least ONE TK characteristic which can be judged. And it does not appear to be the same type or sound idle as experienced by many on the demonstration cars. Time will tell if other changes can be perceived.
Old 11/2/11, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by P0 Corsa

Boomer, you mischaracterize the above criticism of TK specifically for the lopey idle. It has been acknowledged by many posts that TK does far more than just provide the owner with a lopey idle. It is purported to alter over 600 engine parameters to provide a race tune for the track. So I ask you, how do you determine if the tune delivers on that promise of alteration?

You have no way to assess these internal software changes. Unless you put the car on a dyno and make back-to-back runs and compare DATA. And that of course will come. But, the audio signature of a TK programmed Boss and a black key tune is known. U Tube has captured many sound bites and many owners have gone to early TA sessions where Beta versions of the TK software were previously loaded and experienced by the owners. Subjective to the listener, sure, but if say 15 people heard the old lopey idle demo car and have now heard the certified version and most of these say it is different, that is at least ONE TK characteristic which can be judged. And it does not appear to be the same type or sound idle as experienced by many on the demonstration cars. Time will tell if other changes can be perceived.
I want to see this 600 list.
Old 11/2/11, 11:50 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa

What?
I'm making fun of the people that are ticked in that it doesn't sound the same as before...
I know what Track Key is..I know what it does. Believe me.

I think its funny that people seriously are ticked that it took this long for it to come out.
Some people are sounding like Ford RACING wronged them.
**** happens...its late..boo hoo
They said it was coming, it came...buy it and enjoy it.

I can't believe someone would think that track key was a major factor in buying the vehicle.
If it didnt exist, you'd be tuning it.
And if you're buying any other parts your going to have to tune it anyway.
Feel lucky you have it at all.

Last edited by Boomer; 11/2/11 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11/2/11, 11:53 AM

What?
I'm making fun of the people that are ticked in that it doesn't sound the same as before...

I think its funny that people seriously are ticked that it took this long for it to come out.
Old 11/2/11, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tob*
For only $302, Boss owners get one heck of a lot of content. Factory developed and warranty protected. Regular GT owners were paying top dollar just for a ghost cam tune - when they could.

You should all be thankful that Ford was able to make this happen AT ALL, given current environmental/political concerns.
Gonna have to go ahead and agree with the voice of reason here ^^^
Old 11/2/11, 11:54 AM

Tob did you get your sidepipes installed? Your thoughts?
Old 11/2/11, 12:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh I guess people thought it was LopeyIdleKey....
Well I don't hear a lopey Idle from what anyones posted so far. But all the other goodies that come with it, will sure be nice ! I Cant wait !

Last edited by UnrealFord; 11/2/11 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11/2/11, 12:10 PM
Cobra R Member

What?

I can't believe someone would think that track key was a major factor in buying the vehicle.
If it didnt exist, you'd be tuning it.
And if you're buying any other parts your going to have to tune it anyway.
Feel lucky you have it at all.
I think your missing the point. If Lopey idle has been changed, what else has been changed in TK? I doubt Ford will ever reveal the changes that they had to make to appease CARB.

As to "feel lucky you have it at all".....this isn't some free bonus from Ford. This is something we have to PAY for. I appreciate the effort Ford engineers have made in order to do TK and all the crap they probably have to put up with dealing with corporate "suits", so none of my comments are directed at them.
The "suits" at Ford bungled TK seemingly at every major point in time. It should actually be taught in business school as a course on how NOT to bring a product to market.
Old 11/2/11, 12:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
You are taking the end of season very well If I lived up there and had the car as long as you I doubt I would be so calm I can still track mine and that helps take the sting out of the long wait. In any case I assume you will be Jonesin come Feb. for the snow to melt
I'm still riding high after all the fun I had this season in the Boss. That will eventually wear off after a few months of winter and you're right by February I'll probably be on suicide watch waiting for the snow to melt. Fortunately it's been a great fall, and every day still driving a Mustang makes the coming winter that much shorter. Hopefully we make it to Thanksgiving. Right now there's now snow in the 10-day.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic about the dissatisfaction being expressed by some, it's just that this is primarily a hobby, a toy, something that should bring joy . We have enough we have to deal with already, if our hobby doesn't make us happy , then we probably should find a new hobby.

I posted up my initial TK impressions at BMO.
Old 11/2/11, 12:32 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Whammer
I think your missing the point. If Lopey idle has been changed, what else has been changed in TK? I doubt Ford will ever reveal the changes that they had to make to appease CARB.
Does it really matter? It does what it advertises.
For the sake of argument lets say they did dial something back.
Would you really feel ripped off if you were robbed of that 1/10th of a second or slightly less noticeable lope...that you really didn't know what it was in the first place.... or go from 600 changes to 585 changes... oh lordy NO!!!!

Originally Posted by Whammer
As to "feel lucky you have it at all".....this isn't some free bonus from Ford.
Right, you have the option to buy it...or not...
For a really good price no less, and that has been tested.... a lot...

So yeah...
Old 11/2/11, 12:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
For comparison purposes, how much does a "tune" cost from an aftermarket shop, for expample Bama? I realize you have to buy the tuner and that a lot of places offer free tunes for life. But with TK you can change your tune with the turn of a key, you don't have to plug in a tuner and download and upload. Plus you get launch control. Probably TK is a good value for $400-$500.
Old 11/2/11, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Listen up.....The trackey we will be getting is exactly what Miller has. They have had only one version......

I can't believe people are complaining about something they have no personal experience with....
Old 11/2/11, 01:11 PM
GT Member

What?

ok Boomer enlighten us all on your hands on knowledge of what it does then I will believe you.
Old 11/2/11, 01:20 PM
Banned

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! You guys have gone from "where is the key" to "what have they done to the key" please go on...:enjoying:
Old 11/2/11, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! You guys have gone from "where is the key" to "what have they done to the key" please go on...:enjoying:
Next will be questions as to where to stick the key.
Old 11/2/11, 01:24 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by hori
ok Boomer enlighten us all on your hands on knowledge of what it does then I will believe you.
I didn't say I have hands on knowledge...not once. Never did.
Re-read the posts to put it into context.
Cool yer jets smartguy.

Last edited by Boomer; 11/2/11 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11/2/11, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Got my track key installed today! Its very cool .Will see how different it is on the track in a week.Going to go try launch control next!
Old 11/2/11, 02:06 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
Next will be questions as to where to stick the key.
Ohh, I can tell them exactly where to stick it.

Quick Reply: TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!