Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/11, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some more feedback

just back from some spirited driving...non-TK and TK.
there are definitely many differences, though most are quite subtle. I was kind of hoping the changes would be more 'in your face'...but now that I've driven it, I'm glad it's not. The most notable effect, as previously reported, is the engine braking. You feel it...but you also hear it. there's a whole lot of extra popping and gargling coming from the exhaust. My wife said: sounds like someone's knocking on the door. (not in a bad way, btw)...just a very noticeable increase in audible feedback. gas mileage seems to be suffering considerably as well.

the difference in throttle response is not very pronounced, for which I'm grateful. I wouldn't have minded some addition steering wheel firmness via the EPAS, but that doesn't seem to be there.

I swear the tranny shifts more smoothly....can't, for the life of me, come up with an explanation for that. the higher idle that my car was seeming to run with yesterday (around 900rpm) has mitigated...now running back in the 750 range.

Overall, very fun addition to the car...well worth the $$. I suspect the engine braking is going to pay big dividends on the track.
Old 11/2/11, 02:30 PM
Cobra Member

i will wait until i see more vids of track key in action before i pass judgement since i cant use with with my mods. The one vid i have seen was for someone here at night sitting still so maybe the lope simply wasn't enabled due to temps or not driving. as for feel lucky to have it at all, like someone said this is a paid part, not something ford gave us out of the goodness of their hearts. if it doesn't work as it was advertised before, they should have noted the changes so people would know what they were getting.

It sort of like this to put a different perspective on it. i bought a house that was supposed to have st. Augustine sod front and back. without telling me or asking me if it was ok between the walkthough before the sod was in and when i signed the papers the builder decided to spray bermuda because it was easier to get the grass installed before we closed. Is it still grass, sure it is. yes its better than dirt in the yard, but i was pissed that i didn't get what i was told i would get. now every time i go out in the yard all i see is grass that doesn't get as green as the neighbors because he has st Augustine and i have bermuda.
Old 11/2/11, 02:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys:

The dealer instructions list something about a Customer Voucher Number--how did you obtain this?

Thanks,
Old 11/2/11, 02:43 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Ohh, I can tell them exactly where to stick it.
Will it change my personal exhaust sound if I stick it there? Something like:
Kapoot
Kapoot
Kapoot
Old 11/2/11, 02:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Guys:

The dealer instructions list something about a Customer Voucher Number--how did you obtain this?

Thanks,
My voucher came in the package that Ford Racing sent the dealer. Its a blue pice of paper with instructions and the voucher number printed on it. Other than the octane rating sticker that's supposed to go on your fuel door and installation instructions, thats all that came in the pkg.
Old 11/2/11, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 69mustangman
My voucher came in the package that Ford Racing sent the dealer. Its a blue pice of paper with instructions and the voucher number printed on it. Other than the octane rating sticker that's supposed to go on your fuel door and installation instructions, thats all that came in the pkg.
OK cool, thanks for the confirmation.
Old 11/2/11, 04:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Does it really matter? It does what it advertises.
For the sake of argument lets say they did dial something back.
Would you really feel ripped off if you were robbed of that 1/10th of a second or slightly less noticeable lope...that you really didn't know what it was in the first place.... or go from 600 changes to 585 changes... oh lordy NO!!!!

For me, no it wouldn't matter. I don't have the skills to push to the car to it's limits as is, so TK is probably going to make zero difference to the performance of the car. But others might feel differently.

But your post does bring up a question(s) that as far as I know have never been addressed by Ford. Just what exactly does TK do/alter?
It would be great to see some test data offered up by Ford to show how 1/4 mile times might be effected, or how much quicker the car can go around the track. Some "before and afters" would probably be very welcome by most Boss owners.
Old 11/2/11, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
For me, no it wouldn't matter. I don't have the skills to push to the car to it's limits as is, so TK is probably going to make zero difference to the performance of the car. But others might feel differently.

But your post does bring up a question(s) that as far as I know have never been addressed by Ford. Just what exactly does TK do/alter?
It would be great to see some test data offered up by Ford to show how 1/4 mile times might be effected, or how much quicker the car can go around the track. Some "before and afters" would probably be very welcome by most Boss owners.

I am sure the the propaganda will begin shortly through some of your favorite magazines.
Old 11/2/11, 05:27 PM
Cobra Member

I guess I'm lucky that the car is in storage and I'll here all about everyone's reviews, like, dislikes, and then decide if I want to do it next spring. I know one thing for sure. It's not on top of my list of mods!
Old 11/2/11, 06:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
I'm not trying to be antagonistic about the dissatisfaction being expressed by some,
My comments especially the one about the fighting was not directed at anyone in particular or even this thread but in general. This section of the forum started out great, a bunch of adults talking about the new Boss and sharing info that helped each other. Now you do not need to look long to find personal attacks in many threads here and the other sites. I guess this is nothing new and was bound to happen, it happens on almost every board no matter the subject.

If someone bought the Boss only because of the Trackey, that is their right. Maybe someone out there bought one because the only Mustang that comes in Orange is a Boss, are they wrong, stupid or deserve personal attacks for that? I don't think so. All I was trying to say is that people have a right to express how they feel, even if not an opinion widely held by others.

Most of the dissatisfaction stems from a lack of communication. Ford tells us "they get it" and that is true on the product they built, the Boss is an awesome car for the money. Of course nothing is perfect and when some problems arose Ford remained silent. From mechanical issues (heat, random codes...) to parts that did not fit properly and were shipped incomplete Ford said nothing, to me that is not the definition of getting it. Changing three words on a website from "coming soon" to "coming late summer" is not "getting it". If 1/1000th of the effort into promoting the Trackey went into updating owners all would be fine. Everyone that has been to a show or track knows this by the amount of times you have been asked by non-Boss/Ford owners if you are running the red key.

For now I will continue to have fun with the Boss, I am fully aware of how truly lucky I am to have such problems in my life. Maybe stuff like the yes/no/sort-of you still have a warranty will get sorted out over time. I would rather be in the happy camp again then the disgruntled side any day. Understand I am just venting and not directing any comments here at anyone directly.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 11/2/11 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11/2/11, 06:19 PM
Cobra R Member

I have been barking up that tree for months to just find out what exactly sport mode changes in the Advancedtrack settings. I have written Ford, asked the reps at shows, had the guys at the dealer try to ask about it and have heard back nothing. Not holding my breath on this ....

Originally Posted by Jza1736
I guess I'm lucky that the car is in storage and I'll here all about everyone's reviews, like, dislikes, and then decide if I want to do it next spring. I know one thing for sure. It's not on top of my list of mods!
You are not alone, while I plan on getting it I have spoke to two people down here that really wanted Trackey and are opting out now
Old 11/2/11, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
We just ordered our first Trackey kit today for a Boss owner ... when I first contacted my parts dept with the part # I was told that the part # doesn't exist, that you have to be a Motorsport dealer to have access to it.

Ended up calling Ford Racing myself (as the Service Advisor that I am ) and they told me that ANY dealer can order the kit and then she asked for a P.O. # ... lol

I ended up calling the customer back in to pre-pay/order the kit, which was sold at the $302 MSRP

The customer is due back in on Monday to have the tune installed.

Can't wait to see it live. I will try to make a video of the car running to see if I can notice the lope.
Old 11/2/11, 08:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So car went in this morning for Trackey programming. Dealer didn't know he needed to order something or other first, so there it sits. Sigh.
Old 11/2/11, 10:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
So car went in this morning for Trackey programming. Dealer didn't know he needed to order something or other first, so there it sits. Sigh.
Same with mine, took it in after making a appointment last week to prepare for it. 1 hr later calls me up to service desk and says ( we ran into a snag) The tune cost $300.00 then labor, I said I knew that.LoL,
Well he called them packet is being sent tomarrow I go back in.
My cars still says TRACKEY Activated. Lol.

Name:  ForumRunner_20111103_004120.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  22.0 KB
Old 11/3/11, 12:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Oh I guess people thought it was LopeyIdleKey....
I know it's a bit off topic, but I just came across this today. I forgot I took this short clip while at the Monterey Historic Races last year.

I remember them being pretty loud. I wonder if there is an exemption from the 92dB sound limit for this annual event...

Last edited by SoCalBoss; 11/3/11 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11/3/11, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SoCalBoss

I know it's a bit off topic, but I just came across this today. I forgot I took this short clip while at the Monterey Historic Races last year.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKAKz7ITZDk">YouTube Link</a>

I remember them being pretty loud. I wonder if there is an exemption from the 92dB sound limit for this annual event...
Yes. There is an exemption for the 92 db sound limit for the five "major events" at Laguna Seca each year, the Motorsports Reunion being one of the five.
Old 11/3/11, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by chief_charlie
Yes. There is an exemption for the 92 db sound limit for the five "major events" at Laguna Seca each year, the Motorsports Reunion being one of the five.
What are the other ones?

1. ALMS
  2. MotoGP
  3. Grand Am
  4. MMR
  5. ???
Old 11/3/11, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT

What are the other ones?

[*]ALMS[*]MotoGP[*]Grand Am[*]MMR[*]???
Ferrari Racing Days. May 18-20,2012
Old 11/3/11, 07:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Talked to my SVT mechanic today....Ford will be issuing a memo on monday (the 7th) informing dealers that ALL dealers will be able to order the TK package. Not sure if this is just limited to Canada or not. It's good news for those who have been told they have to go to a dealer who is several hours away.
Old 11/3/11, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

all dealers already can

any Ford - and even any Lincoln - dealer can install.

a note regarding using trackey:
- yesterday, I spent a lot of time driving with TK, then my car sat for an hour or so before I went back out...this time non-TK taking my daughter to soccer practice (I coach). when I started the car (non TK), the idle was very low...so low, in fact, that the car stalled. I re-started it and it felt like it was going to do it again, so I have to keep the revs up a bit manually. in the first few minutes of driving the car felt unsure of what paramaters to use...then it normalized after a few minutes. no big deal...just interesting.

Quick Reply: TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!