Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/11, 05:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by jouster
My Boss was dealer trade arranged by my local Ford Dealer, and it came with the Red Trac Key. (one day I gotta tell you about that dealer trade! It took one new Raptor and 2 Boss's to get that deal done and my Yellow Boss delivered)!
But even though I have the Red Key in hand (at no charge, thank you very much), and have been offered programing by my dealer (again at no charge, thank you again), I won't be able to get anything done now until next Spring.
The Boss comes with both keys from the factory (the black and the red key)

It's the special programming that everybody's been waiting for.

Not the arrival of the key itself

Old 10/29/11, 06:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adam81
I am going to dyno the car as well on the same day I get the track key.

Need some opinions for you dyno, and ecu gurus:

1. Should I take the car to the dyno with the black key get it dyno'd....unhook at take it to the dealer for the trackey install....then drive it around with the redkey and then take it back to the dyno and do some pulls?

2. Or take it to the dealer first and have them install the tune....take it to the dyno and do some pulls with the black key and then red key....the whole time the car sits on the dyno?

My only thought is that the car may like to "learn" the driving habits and "figure" out what tune it is running therefor option 1 would be the best. But maybe it doesn't matter.....
Adam, Very good question. You are obviously thinking about the adaptive logic built into most modern engine monitoring/control software programs.

Here is what I would suggest. Bypass the dyno and have the dealer load TK into the ECU. Drive around some (I really have no knowledge on this however on the Ford MOD5.4 engines I believe it takes about 25 miles). If you can mix in both low and high horsepower demands so the ECU can see a range of owner performance expectations. Then go to the dyno for one session with both keys.

I would start the first of several pulls with the Black key and get a baseline calibration. Since the engine will get hotter with each successive dyno run you may have to allow some cool down time before you initiate the same number of pulls with the red key. It will be interesting to see any differences on the same load of fuel. Make sure it is 91+ octane fuel.

The Boss community is interested in this type of comparative data and making the comparison on the same day with the same fuel is the cleanest way to compare the attributes TK gives the engine.

Good Luck!
Old 10/29/11, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Gabe
The Boss comes with both keys from the factory (the black and the red key)

It's the special programming that everybody's been waiting for.

Not the arrival of the key itself

Man you coulda fooled me (actually you did fool me with those Track Key comments in this thread! I see everbody saying, I'm ordering my Track Key, or my dealer doesn't know how to order a Track Key,.... Sheesh, it sure didn't sound like anybody was ordering programming from my vantage point, I thought some guys had not got their Red Key yet!! Sorry guys,...
But since we're on the programming topic, my dealer is a SVT Dealer and big one. He's offering free 'programming' to everyone who bought a Boss from him, and he's pretty adament that other dealers really should not be charging for this simple service either. (His words, not mine), so do shop around.
I fully expect to get a call from my dealer the day the programming is released, along with an invitation to pop right over and get that program installed. (These guys love the Boss too, and they know I might take them for a spin around the block too)!
Unfortunately, I had the Boss out for one last Hoorah this morning, then tucked it and my wife's C/S rag-top away for the winter.
I will really miss that car!
OTOH, if there's no snow on the ground when the program's released,..... it just might come out of storage real fast!!!! :-
Cheers,
Jouster
Old 10/29/11, 08:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Well I hope your dealer keeps his word. He might change his mind when he finds out it's just not just a download program and that he actually has to order a kit from Ford- and that kit is going to cost him money.
Old 10/29/11, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
Well I hope your dealer keeps his word. He might change his mind when he finds out it's just not just a download program and that he actually has to order a kit from Ford- and that kit is going to cost him money.
Do you really hope so? How sweet
Old 10/30/11, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I’ll have mine by this Wednesday.Just in time .My last track day is Nov 14.Wow track key and Hoosiers !! Can’t wait .
Old 10/30/11, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Do you really hope so? How sweet

AWWWWWWWWWW
Old 10/30/11, 11:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by roketman
I’ll have mine by this Wednesday.Just in time .My last track day is Nov 14.Wow track key and Hoosiers !! Can’t wait .
Didn't you just get 10" of snow yesterday??
Old 11/1/11, 07:48 AM
Cobra R Member

My install is booked for 8 am tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
Old 11/1/11, 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

tick
tock
tick
tock
Old 11/1/11, 08:40 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Woo Hoo!! I can’t wait until you all start posting after you get the TracKey installed!!

No, PTRocks. This install does not nullify the rest of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Any concern caused by the TracKey will be covered for 3 yrs or 36,000 miles. Any other concern will be covered under whichever warranty it applies under (3/36k or 5/60k).

Deysha
Thanks Deysha,

However, I wasn't asking if installing TracKey is a problem. I am talking about actually using it. Meaning specifically, using TracKey implies taking the car on the track. If anything happens to the car (let's say a wheel bearing or a suspension failure), is the failure covered under warranty? It's not likely that TracKey would be the direct cause.
Old 11/1/11, 08:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The eagle has landed. I just dropped it off and it's probably being flashed as I type
Old 11/1/11, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
The eagle has landed. I just dropped it off and it's probably being flashed as I type
Gary and the minions!

Old 11/1/11, 08:59 AM

POST SOME VIDS ASAP!!!!
Old 11/1/11, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
+1 yes, my salesman at my local dealer really thought Ford dropped the Ball when it came to TK. He first told me of course its included with the car. I got nothing in writing on this. So now when the information comes through that they have to pay for it. It is a new story. Of course, I have to pay for it. No dealer loyalty.
Old 11/1/11, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by roketman
Have yourself a good time!
Old 11/1/11, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Yeah!! Dyno soon please
Old 11/1/11, 09:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Meaning specifically, using TracKey implies taking the car on the track.
Not really. TK is approved for use on public roads. You can legally run it every day driving to work if you wish.

Originally Posted by PTRocks
If anything happens to the car (let's say a wheel bearing or a suspension failure), is the failure covered under warranty? It's not likely that TracKey would be the direct cause.
I can't see any situation where it would not be covered under the normal 5/60 warranty. But then I'm not a lawyer.
Old 11/1/11, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Track key is at the dealership!
Old 11/1/11, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Waiting on "parts" delivery...hopefully today or tomorrow!

Quick Reply: TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!