2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Rumoured power outputs for '15

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/13, 02:26 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Rumoured power outputs for '15

Seems too good to be true, but......................

http://www.torquenews.com/106/ford-i...-gt-gets-475hp

It is no secret that the next generation Ford Mustang will arrive for the 2015 model year and while it has long been believed that the upcoming Mustang will pack an EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine – an unnamed Ford employee working on the Mustang project recently told a Mustang forum member that the EcoBoost is indeed on the way. The Mustang EcoBoost engine will measure 2.5 liters and offer around 300 horsepower. This same source explained that the 3.7L V6 that currently serves as the base model Mustang engine could climb into the range of 400 horsepower while the 5.0L Mustang GT could offer as much as 475 horsepower. This information comes to us via the Mustang experts at American Muscle via their company blog.
Now, as I write this piece I am sure that there will be skeptics who point out a lack of validity with these leaked 2015 Ford Mustang details. This information comes from a forum member who spoke with an unnamed member of the 2015 Mustang project team and that paper trail is a bit on the sketchy side but this leaked information is concrete as any other leaked information from an official source who insists on remaining unnamed and unofficial. However, these details seem to be right in line with what we have heard over the past year or so and this new information on the EcoBoost 4-cylinder mill is well within the range of realistic possibilities for 2015. It has been speculated that the Mustang EcoBoost package would offer around 300 horsepower so even an official statement from Ford that the 4-cylinder EcoBoost would pack that power wouldn’t come as a big surprise.

Perhaps the hardest piece of 2015 Ford Mustang information to swallow is the suggestion that the next generation Mustang GT will pack 475 (or more) horsepower. The current Mustang GT makes 420 horsepower and with the Chevrolet Camaro SS offering 426 horsepower, we all expected that the 5.0L V8 in the GT models would get a bump to somewhere in the area of 450 horsepower. However, 475 horsepower in the next generation GT models would give the Mustang and overpowering advantage in the battle with the Camaro. Luckily, with the high end Mustang Shelby GT500 packing 662 horsepower, there is plenty of room for Ford to increase the output of the Mustang GT without creating any real in-house competition with the GT500 super-Stang.
Should this information prove to be true when the 2015 Ford Mustang debuts, it will be interesting to see what Ford does with the 3.7L V6. This engine currently serves as the base engine and the most efficient engine in the Mustang lineup but it is widely expected that the EcoBoost Mustang will offer better fuel economy than the V6 models. The question is whether Ford will indeed give the V6 a boost in power to distance itself from the EcoBoost 4-cylinder or if Ford will have the EcoBoost 4 and the V6 offering the same power with the EcoBoost coming with much better MPGs and a bigger price tag. Ford could make the EcoBoost Mustang the base model with the best fuel economy and 300 horsepower with the V6 getting somewhere closer to 400 horsepower or both could have around 300 horsepower with the more efficient EcoBoost option serving as an upgrade to the standard V6. With this second scenario, the V6 would continue being the base engine for the 2015 Mustang with 305 (or so) horsepower while the EcoBoost 4-cylinder mill would come with an upcharge for similar power but much better fuel economy.
Again, this information could be taken with a grain of salt since it comes from a guy who met a guy but with so little information and so much speculation around the 2015 Ford Mustang – this is one more healthy dose of information to fuel the rumormill. The 2015 Ford Mustang is expected to arrive on April 17th 2015 – exactly 50 years to the day that the very first Mustang was introduced at the New York World’s Fair
Old 5/15/13, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Seems too good to be true, but......................

http://www.torquenews.com/106/ford-i...-gt-gets-475hp

It is no secret that the next generation Ford Mustang will arrive for the 2015 model year and while it has long been believed that the upcoming Mustang will pack an EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine – an unnamed Ford employee working on the Mustang project recently told a Mustang forum member that the EcoBoost is indeed on the way. The Mustang EcoBoost engine will measure 2.5 liters and offer around 300 horsepower. This same source explained that the 3.7L V6 that currently serves as the base model Mustang engine could climb into the range of 400 horsepower while the 5.0L Mustang GT could offer as much as 475 horsepower. This information comes to us via the Mustang experts at American Muscle via their company blog.
Now, as I write this piece I am sure that there will be skeptics who point out a lack of validity with these leaked 2015 Ford Mustang details. This information comes from a forum member who spoke with an unnamed member of the 2015 Mustang project team and that paper trail is a bit on the sketchy side but this leaked information is concrete as any other leaked information from an official source who insists on remaining unnamed and unofficial. However, these details seem to be right in line with what we have heard over the past year or so and this new information on the EcoBoost 4-cylinder mill is well within the range of realistic possibilities for 2015. It has been speculated that the Mustang EcoBoost package would offer around 300 horsepower so even an official statement from Ford that the 4-cylinder EcoBoost would pack that power wouldn’t come as a big surprise.

Perhaps the hardest piece of 2015 Ford Mustang information to swallow is the suggestion that the next generation Mustang GT will pack 475 (or more) horsepower. The current Mustang GT makes 420 horsepower and with the Chevrolet Camaro SS offering 426 horsepower, we all expected that the 5.0L V8 in the GT models would get a bump to somewhere in the area of 450 horsepower. However, 475 horsepower in the next generation GT models would give the Mustang and overpowering advantage in the battle with the Camaro. Luckily, with the high end Mustang Shelby GT500 packing 662 horsepower, there is plenty of room for Ford to increase the output of the Mustang GT without creating any real in-house competition with the GT500 super-Stang.
Should this information prove to be true when the 2015 Ford Mustang debuts, it will be interesting to see what Ford does with the 3.7L V6. This engine currently serves as the base engine and the most efficient engine in the Mustang lineup but it is widely expected that the EcoBoost Mustang will offer better fuel economy than the V6 models. The question is whether Ford will indeed give the V6 a boost in power to distance itself from the EcoBoost 4-cylinder or if Ford will have the EcoBoost 4 and the V6 offering the same power with the EcoBoost coming with much better MPGs and a bigger price tag. Ford could make the EcoBoost Mustang the base model with the best fuel economy and 300 horsepower with the V6 getting somewhere closer to 400 horsepower or both could have around 300 horsepower with the more efficient EcoBoost option serving as an upgrade to the standard V6. With this second scenario, the V6 would continue being the base engine for the 2015 Mustang with 305 (or so) horsepower while the EcoBoost 4-cylinder mill would come with an upcharge for similar power but much better fuel economy.
Again, this information could be taken with a grain of salt since it comes from a guy who met a guy but with so little information and so much speculation around the 2015 Ford Mustang – this is one more healthy dose of information to fuel the rumormill. The 2015 Ford Mustang is expected to arrive on April 17th 2015 – exactly 50 years to the day that the very first Mustang was introduced at the New York World’s Fair
Would make more sense to just discontinue the v6 for the ecoboost 4 cylinder. Either that or keep the v6 for American markets and use the 2.5 turbo for the European market.
Old 5/15/13, 04:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't see the 3.7 making 400 or so HP while the GT would be getting 475 HP.
Old 5/15/13, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

400 hp v6?! And 475 from a 5.0?! Niiiice Ford!!!
Old 5/15/13, 05:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
It's already been announced that Ford's only gonna be making EcoBoost 4-cyl Mustangs for the European market, so the V6 will still be the base engine in the U.S. and I highly doubt that the 3.7's gonna get to 400 hp anytime soon ... especially if it's gonna be a base engine.

I see Ford maybe bumping the 3.7 to 325 or so HP, and the 5.0 to 430-450 hp ... chances are they won't bump it beyond the Boss302's official 444 number though ...
Old 5/15/13, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can see the Gt at 475 and the Eco 4 at 300 but considering the Eco 6 only makes 365 I can't see an NA 3.7 getting to 400. Maybe if it was turbo as well.

If the new GT is 475 I will be clearing the S5 and 435 off my shopping list next time around
Old 5/15/13, 05:17 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't put much faith into this.
Old 5/15/13, 05:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
There's more than two levels of engines for the Fusion. Why not the Mustang?
Old 5/15/13, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I still stand that the base car will have the carryover 3.7 305hp 280ft/lb V6 with 2.73 gears (31mpg highway) standard and 3.31s optional. The up-level EcoBoost will be a 2.0-2.3L I4 turbo with ~315hp, but 350ft/lb torque, 3.31 gears only and 34mpg highway and weight savings of ~30 lbs versus the V6. It will come standard with a sport suspension and stickier tires/better brake pads and be marketed as an homage to the SVO as a somewhat premium/limited offering, but Ford will build as many as are ordered. Then in a few years when we see the next refresh, the 3.7 will be dropped and the EcoBoost will become the base engine.

We'll see who's right soon!
Old 5/15/13, 07:04 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A 475hp gt could happen and would be great but what will the price tag look like??
Old 5/15/13, 07:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
A 475hp gt could happen and would be great but what will the price tag look like??
More importantly, how can I possibly afford it
Old 5/15/13, 08:13 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
I wouldn't put much faith into this.
Agreed, GM's GDI V6 is no slouch, in turbo form its making 420 or 430hp in the new CTS.

I just cant see Ford making 400hp NA with its 3.7 V6 --> not that I'm saying the 3.7 can't, I'm sure with a full array of mods it could do that NA, but not 100k+ dead nuts reliably with a factory warranty.

Also I'd expect the next gen GT motor to either see a modest increase or no more than 440-450hp
Old 5/15/13, 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not buying it at all. None of it. There is a bit of wiggle room left in the 3.7 I'm sure, but not that much! Fuel economy is going to be key while expanding into Europe and huge gains in power may be possible, but not while at least keeping efficiency where it is. These are going to be the engines going into 2020 most likely, and as we all know there is only one direction that gas prices go...
Old 5/15/13, 09:18 PM
V6 Member

400hp NA 3.7 doesn't add up. a next gen ecoboost V6? sure.. but I have a feeling they'll carry over the 3.7 and save the ecoboost V6 for later, like when chevy drops that ATS motor in the Camaro.

The quick buck will be selling the ecoboost 4 as an option over the base 3.7..
Old 5/15/13, 09:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
People a few years back thought the 305hp V6 was a pipe dream. (Ford)

In addition, a 412hp V8 with no power adder was a pipe dream as well. (Ford)

Just sayin.

Run little engine that could... Chug a chug a chug a... Lol
Old 5/15/13, 10:29 PM
Bullitt Member

What would be the point really to spend the extra money for the gt when it's little brother would be packing 400 hp? To have a smudge more...appearance, the "v8" and to say you got a gt? I'm alllllll for the gt mustang but if this happens I mean hell get the v6 save money buying it and on insurance, plus stock you have plenty of power lol.

Just saying.
Old 5/15/13, 10:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Mach1Maniac
What would be the point really to spend the extra money for the gt when it's little brother would be packing 400 hp? To have a smudge more...appearance, the "v8" and to say you got a gt? I'm alllllll for the gt mustang but if this happens I mean hell get the v6 save money buying it and on insurance, plus stock you have plenty of power lol.

Just saying.
You could say the same for the current v6. It has the same power as the previous 4.6 v8. Why buy the 5.0? I struggled with this very decision myself. I can see ford upping the power on both or losing weight it improve the power to weight ratio.
Old 5/15/13, 10:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V

You could say the same for the current v6. It has the same power as the previous 4.6 v8. Why buy the 5.0? I struggled with this very decision myself. I can see ford upping the power on both or losing weight it improve the power to weight ratio.
Dosent have the same torque though or the nice sound that comes from a v8.
Old 5/15/13, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V

The 5.0 is a beast compared to the 3.7.
Old 5/15/13, 11:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by lexi2013

Dosent have the same torque though or the nice sound that comes from a v8.
Originally Posted by blairnr67

The 5.0 is a beast compared to the 3.7.
I agree with both of you. I meant that it isn't ridiculous that the next mustang could put the gt into a higher tier and do the same for whatever base engine they select.

Quick Reply: Rumoured power outputs for '15