Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Padded Leather Console Armrest Covers

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/13, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Placed my order yesterday. I can't wait for it to get here!
Old 8/18/13, 09:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Seat Inserts

Folks-
I am throwing this out to the experts here to see if I can find an answer.
Does anyone here know if the seat inserts here are made out of Acan like the steering wheel?
Mike, (Who by the way, has some of the best customer service that I have seen for years), is helping me decide on a color scheme for my cover.
Thank you in advance for the help.
V/r
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Padded Leather Console Armrest Covers-2012-boss-302-my-front-seats-lt-side.jpg   Padded Leather Console Armrest Covers-2012-boss-302-my-seats-rt-side.jpg  
Old 8/18/13, 09:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SeaPig
Folks-
Does anyone here know if the seat inserts here are made out of Acan like the steering wheel?
Mike, (Who by the way, has some of the best customer service that I have seen for years), is helping me decide on a color scheme for my cover.
V/r
Mike
Yes. They are. I've drooled on my buddies boss's seats. The insets are beautiful Alcantra. One day, they will be mine. Sorry. I got a little sidetracked.
Old 8/18/13, 09:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Folks-
V/r
Mike
Regarding your cover I think leather outside with alcan middle he posted pics of some time back looked really good
Old 8/18/13, 10:33 PM
V6 Member

First off, Thank you very much for these replays.
I think one of the things that worries me a bit, is not having leather any where else in the car....And whether that one piece would stand out to much.
Except for the seats and the steering wheel,they went pretty "Minimalist" when it comes to the interior of the BOSS.
I will go back through this thread again and look at the leather.It might be a way to go.
As I am in Afghanistan, I am only relying on my pictures and thoughts form you all, on how to proceed here.
Thank you again
V/r
Mike
Old 8/18/13, 10:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Yes. They are. I've drooled on my buddies boss's seats. The insets are beautiful Alcantra. One day, they will be mine. Sorry. I got a little sidetracked.
This is a funny post
Now if I could just find some decent covers for them, so they will stay nice
Old 8/20/13, 06:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
surprising that they would put alcantara inserts on cloth seats. when i first saw the pics, i thought they were leather too. the inserts do match the steering wheel, and i would stay with the same theme, charcoal alcantara, black stitching so it looks like it came from the factory. very sharp car.
Old 8/20/13, 06:51 AM
V6 Member

Thank you Mike!!!!
For both the advice and the SUPERIOR customer service you provided me.
I will get the order in, in the next couple of days.
For those of you that are on the fence with this, DON'T BE
I am a super picky person when it come to my car, and Mike came up with the solution I was looking for.
Hopefully for him, you will not have to E-mail him 52 times...
Or was it 74 Mike?
=Me
V/r
Mike

Last edited by SeaPig; 8/20/13 at 08:08 AM.
Old 8/20/13, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

hey no problems. i`m looking for work right now so i have some extra time on my hands. i often dont like giving any advice, cause thats just my taste and everyone is so different, and thats a great thing. the big thing with us is we want people to be happy with our parts and for them to look good in your car whether its a show car or a dd work car.

this is a tough gig for us. its not like running parts off a cnc or out of a mold. every part is all hands on and like a first part every time, and fact is theres not much profit in it for the time we spend and materials. its a nice sideline and we love mustangs and just like doing it. marcy is a great seamstress, and we both try really hard to do the best we can and take pride in what we do.

leather hides are never perfect. theres always gonna be some character to the leather. now the alcantara is a different story, it is pretty much a perfect material. sometimes the sheets have flaws, but i cut that out. rock on and be safe....
Old 8/20/13, 03:40 PM
V6 Member

I think that is one of the great things about Leather. It does have character, and sometimes can be very unique. Kind of like the products you and Marcy produce.
Like a poster mentioned in the past. You can probably go to a Pony meet, and not find someone else that has one of these guys.
How cool is that???
I look forward to getting it, and I will post some pictures after it is installed.
V/r
Mike
Old 8/28/13, 04:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I got the console cover and installed it today. It's a high quality piece and matches the seat leather and stitching perfectly. Kudos to amustangrocks! The only problem I had was the leather interfered with latch mechanism. I got the leather pulled as tight as possible and finally got enough clearance for it to operate. I'm sure it'll loosen up over time.
Old 8/28/13, 04:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TomServo92
I got the console cover and installed it today. It's a high quality piece and matches the seat leather and stitching perfectly. Kudos to amustangrocks! The only problem I had was the leather interfered with latch mechanism. I got the leather pulled as tight as possible and finally got enough clearance for it to operate. I'm sure it'll loosen up over time.
Mine did the same thing at first. And before I installed it back into my car I wanted it to work better so I used a blow dryer on it and it got better then once it sat in my car a few days it started to work flawlessly
Old 8/28/13, 04:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Mine did the same thing at first. And before I installed it back into my car I wanted it to work better so I used a blow dryer on it and it got better then once it sat in my car a few days it started to work flawlessly
I figured the Texas summer heat will make the leather more pliable. Hell, sometimes it makes the metal and glass more pliable!
Old 8/28/13, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I figured the Texas summer heat will make the leather more pliable. Hell, sometimes it makes the metal and glass more pliable!
dang thats hot. thanks for the kudos. theres a few things you can do. on the install instructions (i`m sure you read them first) you can use a small amount of glue in that groove spot that the latch recesses into, or even a thin pc of 2 sided tape and work that leather with your finger along that groove some to make the dent.

theres not much clearance there for the latch, and was not intended to have leather wrapped around it. a few guys have actually cut it out of the plastic lid (pretty drastic but works) applying heat and working that groove is always a good idea too. heat works great for installs for wrinkles and puckers, curves etc.

in time, even without the install tip and tricks, the leather will break in and hold that groove better. in the beginning even if the latch doesnt return to full up, it still catches and works fine. without a dought, this cover is the hardest part to make that we do, but it sure looks good compared to some of the others i have seen, not to mention that have to be completely glued on during the install. and its made in the U.S.A.
Old 8/28/13, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, I worked into the groove and finally got the clearance good for it to work. I'll work it more after it's sat in the heat for a few hours.
Old 8/28/13, 07:32 PM
V6 Member

Alcantra

I am wondering if the Alcantra has the same properties at the leather in that respect. A little heating up in the sun or otherwise.
I am looking forward to getting mine and installing it this next month.
Old 8/28/13, 08:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I recommend book binding glue for the latch mechanism. I'm a professional artist of many moons and have used many adhesives over time and on various works. The ph balanced book glue will not give out or chemically change in various temperatures. It's archival to say the least...that's why it's used on books! Apply at room/garage temp and once set, you are good to go.

Spray mount and rubber cement work but will eventually give out, get crusty, yellow, and stain seep. Elmer's glue and super glue should never be used. Stay away from fabric glues like Tacky Glue or Gorilla Glue. The glue expands with thermal changes.

If you're not as picky as me then disregard and use whatever I plan on keeping my leather armrest cover on my car till the wheels fall off.

Yes, I love it that much!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Getportfolio; 8/28/13 at 08:36 PM.
Old 8/29/13, 05:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I recommend book binding glue for the latch mechanism. I'm a professional artist of many moons and have used many adhesives over time and on various works. The ph balanced book glue will not give out or chemically change in various temperatures. It's archival to say the least...that's why it's used on books! Apply at room/garage temp and once set, you are good to go.

Spray mount and rubber cement work but will eventually give out, get crusty, yellow, and stain seep. Elmer's glue and super glue should never be used. Stay away from fabric glues like Tacky Glue or Gorilla Glue. The glue expands with thermal changes.

If you're not as picky as me then disregard and use whatever I plan on keeping my leather armrest cover on my car till the wheels fall off.

Good info. Thanks for posting. If the leather doesn't settle in more i might consider going the glue route.

This morning was my first drive with the cover. I tend to rest my right elbow on the console and by the end of my commute, it would be getting sore. No soreness this morning. I love it! Saturday, my Mustang club is having a cruise up through country followed by a museum tour, lunch and a drive back. I can't wait see how elbow fares on a longer drive.
Old 9/4/13, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am wondering if the Alcantra has the same properties at the leather in that respect. A little heating up in the sun or otherwise.
I am looking forward to getting mine and installing it this next month.
the alcantara we we use for the cover is the cover grade, which has a backing on it that makes it about the same thickness as the leather, but not quite as stiff. that clearance is tight but it will work fine. stretching that center over the lid pretty tight should make plenty off room. that why some tape works nice to hold it tight till you get the bottom plate screwed back on. alcantara is actually a man made vinyl of sorts. heat works well with it too, for smoothing it out and fitting. just dont over heat it.

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

lol, till the wheels fall off. couldnt help but smile thats some real good info there on glues. we use a special foam tack spray glue (lightly) to glue the materials to the foam just to hold it in place while its being stitched. the rubber glue does work pretty good for gluing like shift boots to the trim rings cause it has good workable time, and its not as evasive as contact cement. the book glue sounds real good and we will have to try that. thanks for the tip

Good info. Thanks for posting. If the leather doesn't settle in more i might consider going the glue route.

This morning was my first drive with the cover. I tend to rest my right elbow on the console and by the end of my commute, it would be getting sore. No soreness this morning. I love it! Saturday, my Mustang club is having a cruise up through country followed by a museum tour, lunch and a drive back. I can't wait see how elbow fares on a longer drive.
that sounds like a great day. a tiny bit of cush does make a difference. i really like it in my 05. if i had to give up my armrest cover i wouldnt even want the car. give it some time too. the new materials are stiff, time will let the part settle nice and become one with the lid......sounds like a grasshopper thing
Old 9/4/13, 08:25 PM
GT Member

I have had my cover for a few months and I absolutely love it!! Fits great, feels great, and it's so soft It does seem to be developing a weird "bubble" in the center, almost like delamination from within, it's strange. About the size of an un-popped pop corn.

Quick Reply: Padded Leather Console Armrest Covers