Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

'13-14 Cluster into '10-12 car (with TrackApps) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/14, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Its not a Shelby cluster, but for someone wanting to upgrade. A little pricey for a used cluster, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-MUSTANG-GT-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-SPEEDO-/131248716358?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8f087a46&vxp=mtr

Last edited by jim010; 7/22/14 at 03:00 PM.
Old 7/23/14, 02:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how difficult would this be on a 2010 GT instead of the 11-12?
Old 7/23/14, 02:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You need to contact Lexiion as he is the only one I know that has retrofitted one of these into a 2010.
Old 7/23/14, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
You need to contact Lexiion as he is the only one I know that has retrofitted one of these into a 2010.
Except for TrackApps it works pretty well. Gauges require a blockbox from zeroaviation and the modified steering wheel switch. A special as built download and everything is good. Steering feel won't do anything, unless you retrofit EPAS.

LEXiiON
Old 7/23/14, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I lucked out and got a 2013 Premium cluster finally after months of looking! Can someone give me cliff notes on what I need to do? I don't want to look back through 100 pages....

I'll order the switch for the steering wheel but here is the information about my setup. I have a 2014 Base Automatic GT w/ no brembo package with a custom tune (power adder car). I'm installing a 2013 Premium cluster. Thanks in advance!
Old 7/23/14, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by jim010
Its not a Shelby cluster, but for someone wanting to upgrade. A little pricey for a used cluster, though.

2013 Mustang GT Instrument Cluster Speedo | eBay
Just realized I grabbed that one LOL!
Old 7/23/14, 07:40 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll need to buy the VCM tool to program the PATS and the ASBUILT data.

You'll also have to either send out your cluster to get the mileage synced or possibly get a dealer to do it? I don't know how most have been doing that one.

Other than that, you should be good to go.
Old 7/23/14, 09:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Cliff notes are in the other stickied thread. Everything you need.

https://themustangsource.com/f803/re...luster-529167/

Last edited by jim010; 7/23/14 at 09:58 PM.
Old 7/24/14, 07:47 PM

Hi, Allot of good info. Im new to this form and have read a good portion of this thread.

Im doing a FRPP coyote swap and t56 magnum into my 89 fox vert.

The FRPP is basically a stock PCM with functions turned off.

I'd really like to swap in a 2011+ cluster, a 2013 track app would be a dream!

Can anyone tell me what wiring and CANBus I need to get at least the basic 2011+ gauges fully functional?

Thanks!
Old 7/24/14, 08:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You will be customizing the the dash to put in the cluster? That would be neat if you can do it.
Old 7/24/14, 09:47 PM

Yes, the cluster fits perfectly into the 89 cluster housing, just needs a nice trim out at the edge to square up to cluster housing cover, which should be easy to do nicely..
What Im hoping is someone has the wiring schematic for connections and which of the CANBus are required, for the cluster. Finding a donor for wiring cluster/dash harness should be easy.

Id also love to keep my cruise, but not sure what that would take, old was vacuum driven stuff.... gonna see if steering wheel controls and clockspring are compatible

from looking at the Aeroforce interceptor gauge I think most of the data plus some is in the ODB II port so even most of the track app data is available.

Last edited by redvert; 7/24/14 at 09:56 PM.
Old 7/24/14, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by redvert
Yes, the cluster fits perfectly into the 89 cluster housing, just needs a nice trim out at the edge to square up to cluster housing cover, which should be easy to do nicely..
What Im hoping is someone has the wiring schematic for connections and which of the CANBus are required, for the cluster. Finding a donor cluster/dash harness should be easy.

Id also love to keep my cruise, but not sure what that would take, old was vacuum driven stuff.... gonna see if steering wheel controls and clockspring are compatible

from looking at the Aeroforce interceptor gauge I think most of the data plus some is in the ODB II port so even most of the track app data is available.
Hmm. There is more than just the PCM. Jim is trying to put it into his 05-09 and some of the body modules to be emulated / changed to make it work..
TrackApps is done by the ABS module. And you need a 2013+ firmware in the PCM or the black box. But you still have the other stuff that needs to be fixed.
Good luck
LEXiiON
Old 7/25/14, 06:22 AM

So maybe,

I wonder what firmware version FRPP is using on product shipped today?
I'll hunt that down..

Darn no ABS on a fox model yr, heck hardly brakes, lol.... Does it need the ABS rotor signal or just the module? I could add via rotor swap, or Guess no Track App

Im hoping the big advantage I have is the fox has NO modules so I can put in dummies with CAN signal for routing but technically no active source... I can build a pod in the trunk, lol..

Any idea where I can get a well notated wiring diagram?
Old 7/25/14, 09:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I would e-mail you the wiring diagrams however, since you will need pretty much most of the book, I recommend that you buy a manual off ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Ford-Mustang-Factory-Original-Wiring-Diagrams-N-O-S-Never-Issued-13-/321465426703?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item4ad8d5230f&vxp=mtr
Old 7/26/14, 08:18 AM

That looks like a great resource, does it have everything I need to determine and hook up what I need? Same book for 11+ for basic and advanced for 2013 track app then....
Old 7/26/14, 11:41 AM
GT Member

Hey fellas,...haven't posted in a minute but I always stop in to see what the latest is...I can't believe how deep everyone is into this as far as swaps outside the normal 2011-2014 and still no my color for the boss clusters lol....

Couple quick things...have any of u tried updating the version of your vcm software?...I didn't know if it cause it to crash since it's a special version of IDS. I didn't know if we are stuck with the version that came with our clone

And I see how some of u are changing firmware of PCM and part numbers...last I remember that all the boss cluster needed to gain my color....maybe the firmware of a gt on the boss.....so how are u loading firmware?
Old 7/27/14, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm working on some software, specifically a communication library for the J2534 Interface. I would like some community help here.

I cannot create, cover, test all platforms and machine configurations (I would be stuck for weeks creating VM's etc).

Here is what I need from you guys. You must have a J2534 Interface (VCM II, MyCanic, DrewTech, etc). Download and install my test application. Then follow the ViewMe.png image for instructions.

You can downlaod from here http://www.zeroaviation.com/files/Ze...2534Tester.zip

If you run into any issues with anything NOT showing, please save the log, and either post it here, or PM me.

What is actually being tested here is my J2534 library, ignore the UI all together. If it is indeed solid, I can move onto phase 2 of this project and start building a shell, and automation scripting. I'm pushing more and more to get good control of the car (being operating modules, ASBUILT, module programming, reading data, reading RAW data, injecting data, etc) into the hands of folks so the community can take the next step to modifying our cars.

For the non technical, this will allow us to more easily read and manipulate signals. Or reverse engineer certain signals. For example, putting the cluster in a 05+ car, it would be a lot easier if we had an application to log signals, then record them and their functions, or even replay certain things on the bench.

Nerds, if there are any C#/Winform developers out there that want to help with this project PM. .NET 3.5 and winforms, threading, really basic stuff.

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 7/27/14, 03:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ajpturbo
Couple quick things...have any of u tried updating the version of your vcm software?...I didn't know if it cause it to crash since it's a special version of IDS. I didn't know if we are stuck with the version that came with our clone

And I see how some of u are changing firmware of PCM and part numbers...last I remember that all the boss cluster needed to gain my color....maybe the firmware of a gt on the boss.....so how are u loading firmware?
I'm not that brave to try and update. However, i'm sure its safe to attempt. If you brick it, i bet it can be recovered remotely.

To change firmware on the cluster, you would need to JTAG it. Its not as easy for the cluster :/
Old 7/27/14, 03:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if there is any point upgrading the VCM unless in the future there is some car that is not supported. Keep in mind if you don't have a license for the newer versions of IDS it will be useless anyway.
Old 7/27/14, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
I'm working on some software, specifically a communication library for the J2534 Interface. I would like some community help here.

I cannot create, cover, test all platforms and machine configurations (I would be stuck for weeks creating VM's etc).

Here is what I need from you guys. You must have a J2534 Interface (VCM II, MyCanic, DrewTech, etc). Download and install my test application. Then follow the ViewMe.png image for instructions.

You can downlaod from here http://www.zeroaviation.com/files/Ze...2534Tester.zip

If you run into any issues with anything NOT showing, please save the log, and either post it here, or PM me.

What is actually being tested here is my J2534 library, ignore the UI all together. If it is indeed solid, I can move onto phase 2 of this project and start building a shell, and automation scripting. I'm pushing more and more to get good control of the car (being operating modules, ASBUILT, module programming, reading data, reading RAW data, injecting data, etc) into the hands of folks so the community can take the next step to modifying our cars.

For the non technical, this will allow us to more easily read and manipulate signals. Or reverse engineer certain signals. For example, putting the cluster in a 05+ car, it would be a lot easier if we had an application to log signals, then record them and their functions, or even replay certain things on the bench.

Nerds, if there are any C#/Winform developers out there that want to help with this project PM. .NET 3.5 and winforms, threading, really basic stuff.

Cheers,
-Matt
I will log some stuff tonight. However I don't have the GT500 cluster in there at the moment.

LEXiiON

Quick Reply: '13-14 Cluster into '10-12 car (with TrackApps) retrofit