5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/14, 03:28 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
I've been following this thread w/ great interest, have been interested since the first mention of the Track Key ability on non-Boss cars. Have a 2013 GT so I'd be in the Track Cal group but frankly (even putting aside the initial release issues) I'm not sure there is a dealer in the area (Cleveland, OH) I'd trust at even having a remote chance of *not* screwing up the entire process. It's the main reason I never did the original FRPP Pro Cal either.

It's kinda sad that when you wanna stay close to OEM 'approved' mods, just can't seem to count on a dealer to be competent; 'hit or miss' kinda experiences from what I gather.

We do have a Roush-affiliated Ford dealer around here but not sure that alone could guarantee knowledge and competence w/ respect to FRPP stuff.

FWIW (and I know it sure ain't much in a Ford-centric forum), we also have a Vette we've worked on a bit and it is quite easy to identify the Vette-Tech friendly dealers in the area based on word-of-mouth AND GM Vette-certified Techs credentials.

Dunno, sure would like to have the track cal but not at the expense of going through a whole PITA experience.

What to do, what to do??
I get what you mean. Went through the same doubts. If it weren't for Ray from Ford racing support I would have returned it long ago.

Many of us will be running the track key with the new update this week so keep following this thread to see if all the issues have been taken care of.
Old 7/27/14, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I said it earlier but since it's been a while, thanks to all you gutsy people willing to experiment.

I just got my GT but am going to wait a year or two before getting the TracKey because of the warranty concerns. I really appreciate you guys hammering this stuff out so it's solid for the late adopters.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who stands to benefit.
Old 7/27/14, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
I've been following this thread w/ great interest, have been interested since the first mention of the Track Key ability on non-Boss cars. Have a 2013 GT so I'd be in the Track Cal group but frankly (even putting aside the initial release issues) I'm not sure there is a dealer in the area (Cleveland, OH) I'd trust at even having a remote chance of *not* screwing up the entire process. It's the main reason I never did the original FRPP Pro Cal either.

Had a 2008 GT and went the whole aftermarket CAI/SCT Tune (various tuners), gears, MGW, LCA's, etc route with and never had any real problems...just don't feel like doing that stuff anymore with the 2013 GT though.

It's kinda sad that when you wanna stay close to OEM 'approved' mods, just can't seem to count on a dealer to be competent; 'hit or miss' kinda experiences from what I gather.

We do have a Roush-affiliated Ford dealer around here but not sure that alone could guarantee knowledge and competence w/ respect to FRPP stuff.

FWIW (and I know it sure ain't much in a Ford-centric forum), we also have a Vette we've worked on a bit and it is quite easy to identify the Vette-Tech friendly dealers in the area based on word-of-mouth AND GM Vette-certified Techs credentials.

Dunno, sure would like to have the track cal but not at the expense of going through a whole PITA experience.

What to do, what to do??
I already purchased the track key pqckage with uncut key and voucher .thanks .I might just leave it alone.it runs perfect now .I probably will justt sell it .
Old 7/27/14, 05:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I said it earlier but since it's been a while, thanks to all you gutsy people willing to experiment. I just got my GT but am going to wait a year or two before getting the TracKey because of the warranty concerns. I really appreciate you guys hammering this stuff out so it's solid for the late adopters. I'm sure I'm not the only one who stands to benefit.
Isn't a yr or two a little extreme? I mean, we will know its reliability in a week or so.
Old 7/27/14, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by typesredline

Isn't a yr or two a little extreme? I mean, we will know its reliability in a week or so.
Sort of. What I'm balancing is the risk of an existing defect in the powertrain, whose warranty would be / could be limited (depending on who you ask) by the installation of the TracKey, and not so much the TracKey causing problems. Once you install the TracKey, the conversation with the dealer will always take a different direction, know what I mean?
Old 7/27/14, 07:09 PM
V6 Member

I said it earlier but since it's been a while, thanks to all you gutsy people willing to experiment.

I just got my GT but am going to wait a year or two before getting the TracKey because of the warranty concerns. I really appreciate you guys hammering this stuff out so it's solid for the late adopters.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who stands to benefit.
Bezerk, I can understand your concerns regarding the warranty but you don't lose your warranty with the track key.

I have a a spanking brand new 2014 gtcs with about 500 miles on. I wouldn't have done it if it would jeopardize my warranty.

As I mentioned a bit ago, just follow the forums this and next week. We will know of the update took care of the error issues.
Old 7/27/14, 07:10 PM
V6 Member

That's what I'm saying lol. Several of us will be running the new update this week. Yes we are the guinea pigs lol.
Old 7/27/14, 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey look guys, I know the meaning of the warranty is a little contentious and I am not looking for an argument. I'm fully aware that I'm being a little over cautious.

I am concerned about the wording on the warranty and how it works with an extended warranty (7/75). The wording using the word "replace" does concern me a bit.

Then there is the experience about how it "should" work versus how it will play out when you are at the dealer who may have just hired a new service manager that week.

So my risk/reward is based more on whether the possible hassle is worth it. Plus, let's face it, a new GT is pretty fun without doing anything to it. So maybe I should wait until I get bored with it anyway.

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 7/27/14 at 07:33 PM.
Old 7/27/14, 07:46 PM
V6 Member

Hey look guys, I know the meaning of the warranty is a little contentious and I am not looking for an argument. I'm fully aware that I'm being a little over cautious.

I am concerned about the wording on the warranty and how it works with an extended warranty (7/75). The wording using the word "replace" does concern me a bit.

Then there is the experience about how it "should" work versus how it will play out when you are at the dealer who may have just hired a new service manager that week.

So my risk/reward is based more on whether the possible hassle is worth it. Plus, let's face it, a new GT is pretty fun without doing anything to it. So maybe I should wait until I get bored with it anyway.
No one's arguing lol. Your opinion/decision is respected. We were just giving ours. No worries.
Old 7/27/14, 07:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Hey look guys, I know the meaning of the warranty is a little contentious and I am not looking for an argument. I'm fully aware that I'm being a little over cautious. I am concerned about the wording on the warranty and how it works with an extended warranty (7/75). The wording using the word "replace" does concern me a bit. Then there is the experience about how it "should" work versus how it will play out when you are at the dealer who may have just hired a new service manager that week. So my risk/reward is based more on whether the possible hassle is worth it. Plus, let's face it, a new GT is pretty fun without doing anything to it. So maybe I should wait until I get bored with it anyway.
Maybe you've had better experiences, but every "extended" warranty we've had on Fords, has been a headache. I would never buy one, especially on these new cars with technology that changes so quickly. The dealers hate them too because they don't get paid the same rate for extended warranty work.
Old 7/27/14, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OneBadGtCs

No one's arguing lol. Your opinion/decision is respected. We were just giving ours. No worries.
Thanks, I kind of misspoke. I was trying to say there are multiple threads making different, convincing arguments about how the existing warranty is affected. I don't want to bring an argument about that into this thread... to me, no one will know for sure what the real world experience is like until someone whose 36 month TracKey warranty has expired, but their 60 month powertrain warranty is honored or denied. And at that, it's only a single data point. So I said to myself (and my wife, who has been a part of this decision) that I would wait a year or so to reduce the risk of needing to use the powertrain warranty for a possible factory defect (presuming a year is enough for it to show).

Originally Posted by laserred38

Maybe you've had better experiences, but every "extended" warranty we've had on Fords, has been a headache. I would never buy one, especially on these new cars with technology that changes so quickly. The dealers hate them too because they don't get paid the same rate for extended warranty work.
No, never had experience with a Ford warranty, this is my first new Ford (been a Honda guy for about 20 years). I chose the warranty because of the reports of air conditioning problems in the late models somewhere around the 40k mark, as well as the power seat problems somewhere in there too. Having an air conditioner go out here in AZ is almost like having a transmission go out. The air conditioner is somewhere around an $800 to $1200 repair, and I think the seat is about $600-$800. I think I paid about $600 for the warranty, so basically it's a bet that one or the other happens. But since I don't know what the Ford owner experience is like, I opted for it for the peace of mind. Ford hasn't always had rosy customer experiences (Taurus transmission comes to mind).
Old 7/27/14, 08:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I hear ya. I'm kinda hoping my AC will last after that 40k mark, or I will have traded the car in on a GT350 by then
Old 7/27/14, 08:38 PM
V6 Member

No, never had experience with a Ford warranty, this is my first new Ford (been a Honda guy for about 20 years). I chose the warranty because of the reports of air conditioning problems in the late models somewhere around the 40k mark, as well as the power seat problems somewhere in there too. Having an air conditioner go out here in AZ is almost like having a transmission go out. The air conditioner is somewhere around an $800 to $1200 repair, and I think the seat is about $600-$800. I think I paid about $600 for the warranty, so basically it's a bet that one or the other happens. But since I don't know what the Ford owner experience is like, I opted for it for the peace of mind. Ford hasn't always had rosy customer experiences (Taurus transmission comes to mind).[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's hot here in Florida so I feel you lol. I get what your saying. But cmon a Ford Taurus lol. Those were bad back in the day as were the Tempos etc lol. Manuals are much more reliable especially with todays cars. Those were autos.

Anyways, we will continue to document any issues or results once we all have the revised update running on our cars. It was cool turning the car on today and seeing the dash say Track key on the dash. Can't wait to have it completely installed.
Old 7/28/14, 03:39 AM

I am not sure if I have written this part before but I was told by ford racing to let everyone know who has any concern at all about this tune to please call them. They really are great people to deal with.
I mentioned a few weeks back that I had read several posts about people having issues with the tune. At that point they had not heard of any issues and said to direct everyone with questions to call them.
From what I understand there is a new update.
I have the procal installed tune and it has been great.
I installed the recommended jlt oil separator worth every penny it is catching a little oil and a little oil caught is worth the money.
I have been dealing with Mike from ford racing Svt great to deal with.
Old 7/28/14, 07:32 AM
V6 Member

Heck, I'm not so much concerned w/ dealing with potential warranty issues, that's a *might happen* kinda thing that is more easily dealt with.

I just don't wanna get in a hassle with a dealer who is unfamiliar w/ install/Track Key/Cal itself and having to make multiple trips/attempts to get the sh*t right. I just don't have the inclination to go through something like that. If I were confident/aware of a dealer who knows what they were doing with regard to this product, I'd jump all in immediately.

I've had dealings with 3 Ford dealerships/'auto groups' in the area for a number of years....they all suck around here.
Old 7/28/14, 07:52 AM
V6 Member

I just don't wanna get in a hassle with a dealer who is unfamiliar w/ install/Track Key/Cal itself and having to make multiple trips/attempts to get the sh*t right. I just don't have the inclination to go through something like that. If I were confident/aware of a dealer who knows what they were doing with regard to this product, I'd jump all in immediately.

I've had dealings with 3 Ford dealerships/'auto groups' in the area for a number of years....they all suck around here.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's kind of what I went through. But in the dealers defense it is not something that many people take there cars to do and those that are somewhat familiar have only done the boss track key which is almost the same thing. It's actually not hard to do if you follow the simple instructions. To bad it has to be done at a dealership.
Old 7/28/14, 07:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OneBadGtCs
Yeah that's kind of what I went through. But in the dealers defense it is not something that many people take there cars to do and those that are somewhat familiar have only done the boss track key which is almost the same thing. It's actually not hard to do if you follow the simple instructions. To bad it has to be done at a dealership.
Agreed. I wish I could just do it myself. If you mess up, it can kill the PCM and it would need to be sent off for reflash. But I'd almost rather me do that than some unfamiliar tech.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/28/14 at 07:55 AM.
Old 7/28/14, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Agreed. I wish I could just do it myself. If you mess up, it can kill the PCM and it would need to be sent off for reflash. But I'd almost rather me do that than some unfamiliar tech.
If you're looking at the Track Cal and your car is at or above 36K miles, there's actually no benefit to having the dealer install. You can do it yourself and save the hour of labor $$/frustration.
Old 7/28/14, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mfc133
If you're looking at the Track Cal and your car is at or above 36K miles, there's actually no benefit to having the dealer install. You can do it yourself and save the hour of labor $$/frustration.
Yeah...I'll hit the 3 yrs looooooong before that. I've had her for 17 mo now and am almost at 7000 miles!
Old 7/28/14, 09:40 AM
V6 Member

Yeah I know what you mean. It's so easy a caveman can do it lol.

I work less than mile from work so my cars going to have very very few miles a year.

Quick Reply: Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013