05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/08, 06:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OKLACOP
two more pics of the same area.......I hope this gives you all an idea.

Dave, the more I think about it, the more I may just leave these mesh vents in the hood. I'm sure the civic vents can be done, but I think it may be a pain......just my opinion. I'm gonna make sure my paint guy degreases them real well, primers them, then paints them black..............back to what I said earlier about the mesh looking better to the naked eye......painting them black should disguise any imperfections even better.

I hear you on it being a real pain, but I am afraid of the paint chipping like MellowYellow said.. After looking at your pics, I think I am going to leave the metal mesh in the hood, but snip it out so that only a little bit is showing around the opening (imagine an open shark mouth).

Then after it's painted, I will slip in the plastic mesh from the civic grille in front of the remaining metal mesh, and behind the fiberglass of the hood. hopefully this will work. I'll have to wait till my hood gets here to find out for sure I guess.
Old 1/19/08, 07:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That may be the answer Dave. As I read your post I really think that would work. If the remaining mesh was painted black, it would never show. This is why I love this site. Someone always comes up with an idea or soultion to everything. Be sure and do a write up w/ pics Dave! Hope the pics helped.

I just want to reemphasize to those of you who are still waiting...........All I can speak for is Phil at Trufiber. I don't know anything about BMC or whoever it was that some of you purchased from. I can't say enough how good Phil & Brandon were to work with. If there are any of you who are still on the fence and want the hood, I'd go directly through Trufiber.
Old 1/19/08, 08:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OKLACOP
I can't say enough how good Phil & Brandon were to work with. If there are any of you who are still on the fence and want the hood, I'd go directly through Trufiber.
I tried that...Phil basically said to forget getting one through them until at least April
Old 1/21/08, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Tried Phil too and got this reply

Hi Rob,

Please be patient, your hood will be here soon.
BMC is has the 1st batch of Venom and if you cancelled your order, you might not be able to get them since we did not make many of these hoods...

Please contact us if you have any further questions.

Thnx

Phil
So I'm gonna wait and see what happens because I really want this hood but chances of my buying from them again is not looking good at this point.
Old 1/21/08, 08:26 AM
GT Member

Ok mine came today. There are a few spots I see that will need bondo, but I expected that. Also you can see my vents are totally effed. (good thing I am replacing them with plastic.

My major concern though is this big dent at the front of the bridge between the vents...WTF???
Attached Images   
Old 1/21/08, 09:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Guytonius
Ok mine came today. There are a few spots I see that will need bondo, but I expected that. Also you can see my vents are totally effed. (good thing I am replacing them with plastic.

My major concern though is this big dent at the front of the bridge between the vents...WTF???
Yikes! How could someone NOT see that before it was shipped???
Old 1/21/08, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm getting scared and I'm fearless.
Old 1/21/08, 10:53 AM
GT Member

To be fair to Trufiber, the box was really beat up when it got here. I don't blame them for that. I can see the vents getting screwed up from that.

The dent though, I don't know what the deal is with that. I tried pushing up from underneath hoping it would pop out, but it seems like it was molded that way. I can't get it to change shape at all.
Old 1/21/08, 11:23 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

The dent though, I don't know what the deal is with that. I tried pushing up from underneath hoping it would pop out, but it seems like it was molded that way. I can't get it to change shape at all.
that's bad luck right there bro.. sorry to see that
i would bake the hood in a paint booth at ~130F for about 40-50 minutes.. then push the hood up through the latch cut-out.

chances are it'll be good as new
Old 1/21/08, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

You shouldda refused the shippment due to damage. They will send you a replacement. Did you inspect the package?
Old 1/21/08, 01:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5150PONY
You shouldda refused the shippment due to damage. They will send you a replacement. Did you inspect the package?
Yes I pulled it out and checked it over. I couldn't see the dent though until I got it inside under different light.

I know I could have refused it if I saw it, but I need this hood like SOON and I am not willing to wait for months. I am confident the body shop can smooth it out.
Old 1/21/08, 03:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

ouch! I hope they can fix it Dave. I can't imagine how that could happen. If the box got crushed I'd expect the hood to break, not get dented.
Old 1/21/08, 03:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Like GT said, you can bake it or you can use a heat gun to pop it back out. Not too hot, heat it evenly, it should be ok....good luck
Old 1/21/08, 07:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Now I know why Phil told me to inspect mine very carefully. He told me not to let the freight delivery guy leave until I was completely satisfied with the hood. The only thing I didn't see until later was the slightly dented mesh vent screen.
Old 1/22/08, 03:25 PM
GT Member

Well the heat gun didn't work. When it was hot I was able to sort of bend it into shape, but as it cooled it returned to the dented shape. I am thinking it's not a dent at all but flawed right from the mold. I notice the area it not as shiny and perfect as the rest of the hood, so I bet there was an air bubble there when they molded it.

Hopefully the body shop can make something work.
Old 1/22/08, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Something must have pushed the hood hard to make a dent like that...
If that came from a mold then all their hoods should have the same issue. I think it doesnt pop back out becuase of the nose bridge preventing it from popping back into shape.
Hopefully the body shop can fix it...good luck
Old 1/22/08, 03:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BADGT350
Who makes this quarter window scoop?
Old 1/22/08, 04:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ray Man
Who makes this quarter window scoop?

I believe those are RCF or Race Car Factory scoops. You'll have to contact them. I looked on their site and I did not find them.
Old 1/22/08, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I think this is the same car...
Attached Thumbnails TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-mustangworld_sema07_pic_385_jpg.jpg  
Old 1/22/08, 07:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Well the heat gun didn't work. When it was hot I was able to sort of bend it into shape, but as it cooled it returned to the dented shape. I am thinking it's not a dent at all but flawed right from the mold. I notice the area it not as shiny and perfect as the rest of the hood, so I bet there was an air bubble there when they molded it.

Hopefully the body shop can make something work.

You should not have to pay for that repair - see how the vendor wants to handle it first...

Quick Reply: TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!