05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/08, 01:07 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie
Yes Louie, thanks! Those vents are huge! What is directly below both? It looks like rain will pour right in.... And I'm kind of wondering how you took the shot of the Whipple pulley with the hood closed? You say there's significantly more clearance. With the GT500 hood, there's probably about 1/2-inch with the 3.375" pulley. So now, there's about 2-3/4" clearance?

Rob, I'd paint around the vents, just like the stock GT500 hood. I don't think it would look good if you painted "through" them.

Willie
Hey Will..
yeah the vents are huge.. that's why i'm gonna reduce mine a bit so my stripes can go straight without touching them.
both vents have mostly nothing underneath, except for the passenger side having a bit of the battery and the driver side having the throttlebody motor (on the GT whipple at least)

the pic of the whipple with the hood closed was taken with the vent removed and my hand in through the vent with the camera

i could easily rest my arm on top of the whipple with the hood closed so that's how much clearance i have.

i'm thinking of fabricating some sort of a tray that would sit about an inch below the vents and guide water through to a drain away.

not a flaw in this particular hood.. as any other functional hood will have exactly the same issue
Old 1/5/08, 06:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

So Louie if I understand you right you are going to permanently attach the vents, then have your paint/body guy fill in the seams, so that there is no "outline" around each vent..........in other words it will be a smooth hood surface right up to the actual vents????????? If this is what you are planning I think it's a great idea. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 1/5/08, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pics Louie! Looks great and man I an jealous!

The fit also looked great!
Old 1/6/08, 12:58 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
So Louie if I understand you right you are going to permanently attach the vents, then have your paint/body guy fill in the seams, so that there is no "outline" around each vent..........in other words it will be a smooth hood surface right up to the actual vents????????? If this is what you are planning I think it's a great idea. Keep us posted on the progress.
hey buddy..
yeah you got that right
i will be attaching the vents permanently and molding them into the body with fiberglass, so it's a seamless fit.

then i'll be filling about 1/2" off the inner side of the vents with fiberglass putty to make them a bit smaller..

will post pics as i progress.. should be a couple days from now
Old 1/6/08, 07:35 PM

What's so bad with being different Louie, I like what I like. On a side note what are you going to do with your GT-H/CS6 hood?
Old 1/7/08, 12:08 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

i'm doing a project on a friend's mustang so my CS6 hood went on it.
i also installed the SHR flush mount louvers.. molded the edges in fiberglass so the fit is seamless, deleted the spoiler, lowered the car, upgraded the brakes, stripped it down and got it painted matt black all around
i'll be posting pics of that on another thread soon
Old 1/7/08, 09:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just got a call from the freight company.............my Trufiber Venom hood is here and will be delivered late this afternoon. I'll post pics and discuss the progress with the hood as soon as I can.
Old 1/7/08, 11:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just took delivery. I had to run home and meet the freight guy. Hood looks really good. The only issue is with the heat shield clearance. I'll have to shave some off the heat shield, don't know how much yet. From what I can see the fit is really good. I probably won't post any pics until I get to sink my teeth into this project a little more. As of now my pics would only be repeats of Louie's..........Louie, looks like we are gonna be twins.
Old 1/7/08, 01:50 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Just took delivery. I had to run home and meet the freight guy. Hood looks really good. The only issue is with the heat shield clearance. I'll have to shave some off the heat shield, don't know how much yet. From what I can see the fit is really good. I probably won't post any pics until I get to sink my teeth into this project a little more. As of now my pics would only be repeats of Louie's..........Louie, looks like we are gonna be twins.
Good stuff Rob
what about your heat sheilds? not quite sure i get why you need to shave some of them off..

any thoughts about hood pins?
Old 1/7/08, 06:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

I mean the heat shield box around my Whipple air filter. You mentioned it in an earlier post.

No hood pins at this time.
Old 1/8/08, 12:50 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

I mean the heat shield box around my Whipple air filter. You mentioned it in an earlier post.

No hood pins at this time.
ah yes of course.. sorry was being a bit slow there
Old 1/8/08, 03:39 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

a little teaser
Old 1/8/08, 08:38 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

some more

Old 1/8/08, 07:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here are my first pics. The first pics are of my Whipple air box/heat shield. You will notice masking tape on the box. everything above the top edge of the tape will be removed so the hood will close. I'm probably removing too much of the box, but I want to be sure there is enough clearence. The other pics are of the hood on the car.
Attached Thumbnails TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-venomhood-002.jpg   TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-venomhood-003.jpg   TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-venomhood-004.jpg   TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-venomhood-005.jpg   TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-venomhood-006.jpg  

Old 1/8/08, 07:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

a few more
Attached Thumbnails TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-venomhood-007.jpg   TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-venomhood-009.jpg   TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-venomhood-010.jpg   TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-venomhood-011.jpg  
Old 1/8/08, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh....yeah...
Old 1/8/08, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice!
Old 1/9/08, 05:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by G.T
some more

I think I am going to do this too only not blend it into the car. I think they would look good just like that but still not permanently on the hood. I'll do a photoshop to be sure.

Great job though I can't wait to see it. Looks like you got the vents down to the perfect size.
Old 1/9/08, 05:39 AM
GT Member

Kinda like this
Attached Thumbnails TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-vents.jpg  
Old 1/9/08, 08:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just took my heat shield to a machine shop today to have it modified. The Whipple heat shield is pretty thick metal and it's heavy.......this is why I didn't attempt cutting it myself. I wanted to make everyone aware that if you purchase this hood and have a Whipple, or most other aftermarket heat shields with a supercharger or CAI, you will most likely have to make this modification. It's not difficult, especially if it's a C&L which has a plastic heat shield. Don't let this discourage you from purchasing the hood. It's no big deal at all. Just trying to pass on useful info. for future Trufiber customers.

By the way I received emails from Brandon and Phil at Trufiber asking me how I liked the hood and if there was anything else they could do for me. They have been great to work with and their customer service is right on!

Quick Reply: TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!