05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/08, 01:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words guys..............Honestly over the last two weeks or so I've debated trying to possibly sell my current GT in order to pull the trigger on a GT500. Prices have started to come down a bit and there are numerous used ones out there for way less than sticker, but then I think about all the time and effort that went into this car and it's hard to justify selling it for a Shelby. All I know is that I'm going to enjoy this one for a while. This new hood makes it feel like a new car and holy s&*t do the heads turn.

BTW Andy the entire bill for the hood was $1300. That was for numerous hours of preping (three coats of primer & thousands of pin holes to fill), painting the hood, painting stripes, and blending the fenders. The car looks like it came from the factory this way. The job they did is amazing.

Also the washer fluid nozzle relocation works great. It took me all of 15 minutes to do it thanks to the directions posted by another forum member (BADGT350).
Old 3/27/08, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OKLACOP
Just got her back. Here are the pics.

...the last two weeks or so I've debated trying to possibly sell my current GT in order to pull the trigger on a GT500.

Looks good

Once you weigh the amount of mods vs your return it may cost quite a bit. I'd wait until the 2010 comes out but if Shelby doesn't make it that long you won't be able to touch one, Sorry that's morbid I know.

Last edited by Deric; 3/27/08 at 01:55 PM.
Old 3/27/08, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Drive a GT500

Not to take anything away from your GT, but please drive a GT500. If you got to drive one you would know why it is worth getting a GT500. I do not have the ability to convey to you through typed words just how absolutely incredible the GT500 is. As good as the GT500 looks, driving it is many time better. At least drive one, If you can swing it you will buy it.

Thanks for all the kind words guys..............Honestly over the last two weeks or so I've debated trying to possibly sell my current GT in order to pull the trigger on a GT500. Prices have started to come down a bit and there are numerous used ones out there for way less than sticker, but then I think about all the time and effort that went into this car and it's hard to justify selling it for a Shelby. All I know is that I'm going to enjoy this one for a while. This new hood makes it feel like a new car and holy s&*t do the heads turn.

BTW Andy the entire bill for the hood was $1300. That was for numerous hours of preping (three coats of primer & thousands of pin holes to fill), painting the hood, painting stripes, and blending the fenders. The car looks like it came from the factory this way. The job they did is amazing.

Also the washer fluid nozzle relocation works great. It took me all of 15 minutes to do it thanks to the directions posted by another forum member (BADGT350).
Old 3/27/08, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black GT500
Not to take anything away from your GT, but please drive a GT500. If you got to drive one you would know why it is worth getting a GT500. I do not have the ability to convey to you through typed words just how absolutely incredible the GT500 is. As good as the GT500 looks, driving it is many time better. At least drive one, If you can swing it you will buy it.

A few dealers in my area won't let you test drive one and they still have them priced for $70k. One dealer had the Shelby GT's sitting in the showroom for $55k and wouldn't let you drive one but I noticed now they have them sitting with the rest of the stangs
Old 3/27/08, 04:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, I sort of got us off topic here.......I'll start a new thread if I decide to go the GT500 route. Like I said, I'm gonna enjoy this car for at least a little while longer..........I may never get rid of it, but somewhere in the back of my head a black or alloy Shelby seems to keep callin my name.....anyway, back to topic.

Last edited by OKLACOP; 4/3/08 at 07:53 AM.
Old 3/27/08, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I get up there with mine Rob, you can drive it, but it's just gonna make you want one more. I think your car looks killer by the way. Great job. I should have my hood painted in a couple weeks.
Old 3/27/08, 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Wil, I appreciate it.......that's all I need is to drive your car......I'll be hooked for sure then.
Old 3/27/08, 08:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
It look awesome. Now Im thinking of striping it, but I am thinking more and more about the Superstripe.
Super Stripes are what I'm getting done.
Old 3/27/08, 08:37 PM
GT Member

Hey thanks, also info well needed about the washer relocation, the guys at my body shop were *****ing me about that saying that they would rather give me a squeezy bottle for a dollar than drill holes in my SS hood.
Well I suppose we came out the same then, mine cost $1099 + $190 odd for the alu louvers. So yours wasn't a clean fit either! makes you wonder though, I thought buying from Shelby meant no hassle, well I was wrong.

I'll post my pics as soon by mid April when all is done.

By the way, your car looks amazing, why pay the price for the name when you can have it cheaper, I mean the shelby has a whole lot of power (and so does yours as far as your config. looks) but hey the shelby for $55/60k won't get round a track as fast as a Roush. Suspension parts are a better investment in your GT, will run loops around a Shelby GT500, specially with your config.
Old 3/27/08, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
When I get up there with mine Rob, you can drive it, but it's just gonna make you want one more. I think your car looks killer by the way. Great job. I should have my hood painted in a couple weeks.
Sorry Mate!!
Old 3/27/08, 08:50 PM
GT Member

Not completely to theme but fun, British style Most importantly check out the end comments about the Roush
Enjoy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i0s4OAMISN4

Last edited by andyukok442; 3/27/08 at 08:53 PM.
Old 3/27/08, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

You are getting so much more than a name. BANG for the BUCK, nothing on the planet comes close to comparing to the FACTORY warranted 500 horsepower GT500. The only guys trying to argue otherwise do not have one.

For less than what a comparable 2008 Chevy 505-horsepower Z06 ($72,985~$82,000 MSRP) or the 2008 now 600-horsepower Viper SRT-10 ($85,985~$98,110 MSRP) costs I have my 2008 GT500 ($45,095 MSRP) and my Wife’s 2008 Bullitt ($32,165 MSRP).

Anyone building a comparable car out of a $30,000 Mustang GT faced with the cost of parts and labor, to change the engine, exhaust system, 6 speed transmission, brakes, suspension, leather interior and all body parts will be well above the cost of buying a brand new GT500, and they still won’t have one, or a warranty.

That warranty issue became even more important to me this last week. At Fords expense, my local Ford dealers service department just put a BRAND NEW 6.0 liter power stroke turbo diesel engine into my 45,xxx mile 2005 F-450 (it was totally unmodified, thank god). Got a new set of batteries and starter and a new turbo too. The cost of doing that engine replacement out of my pocket would have cost me almost enough to buy a brand new V-6 Mustang. I have a GREAT appreciation of not violating my warranty terms.

Originally Posted by andyukok442
By the way, your car looks amazing, why pay the price for the name when you can have it cheaper, I mean the shelby has a whole lot of power (and so does yours as far as your config. looks) but hey the shelby for $55/60k won't get round a track as fast as a Roush. Suspension parts are a better investment in your GT, will run loops around a Shelby GT500, specially with your config.
Old 3/28/08, 06:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Black GT500
You are getting so much more than a name. BANG for the BUCK, nothing on the planet comes close to comparing to the FACTORY warranted 500 horsepower GT500. The only guys trying to argue otherwise do not have one.

For less than what a comparable 2008 Chevy 505-horsepower Z06 ($72,985~$82,000 MSRP) or the 2008 now 600-horsepower Viper SRT-10 ($85,985~$98,110 MSRP) costs I have my 2008 GT500 ($45,095 MSRP) and my Wife’s 2008 Bullitt ($32,165 MSRP).

Anyone building a comparable car out of a $30,000 Mustang GT faced with the cost of parts and labor, to change the engine, exhaust system, 6 speed transmission, brakes, suspension, leather interior and all body parts will be well above the cost of buying a brand new GT500, and they still won’t have one, or a warranty.

That warranty issue became even more important to me this last week. At Fords expense, my local Ford dealers service department just put a BRAND NEW 6.0 liter power stroke turbo diesel engine into my 45,xxx mile 2005 F-450 (it was totally unmodified, thank god). Got a new set of batteries and starter and a new turbo too. The cost of doing that engine replacement out of my pocket would have cost me almost enough to buy a brand new V-6 Mustang. I have a GREAT appreciation of not violating my warranty terms.

Good points man.......you aren't making this any easier!
Old 3/28/08, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know this is off-topic so I won't continue after this reply.

.... The only guys trying to argue otherwise do not have one.

Not completely true. Rob, here's the flip-side. I own a Whippled '05 GT and an '08 GT500. I can swap cars as often as I want and here are my impressions:

Overall:
The '08 feels "tighter". But this may be only because it's new and the '05 has 34k miles. So no apples-to-apples comparison here.

Straight Line Performance:
You're gonna be in disbelief by what I say because the Whippled GT can easily pull away from my '08. Traction is an issue with both cars but the GT can break loose easier.

Was the '08 worth the $$$? Basically it's a Mustang with a powerhouse drivetrain and of course, suspension tweaks and unique body components. What I do like is the fact that this engine can produce massive amounts of power with only bolt-ons. For me, it's not worth a penny more than MSRP. Would I buy another one? Don't know. I'm on the fence. It's not that great a car, even for the $$$.

What I would do in a heartbeat is build another tribute like my '05 for several reasons:
1) Power is equivalent or greater than a stock / near stock GT500,
2) Appearance can be identical. Look at the pic and tell me which car this is. Hint: Both my cars have identical chrome rims.
3) Don't have to worry about it getting stolen every time you leave it in the Walmart parking lot and the consequences of dealing with the insurance company... well, at least as much as with a less expensive GT with Shelby parts.... &
4) Drive it as much as you want, unlike most Shelby owners who's cars are garage queens. The "fun factor" for a tribute can be greater than an authentic GT500.... Food for thought...

Willie
Attached Thumbnails TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!-4329b.jpg  

Last edited by Willie; 3/28/08 at 09:47 AM.
Old 3/28/08, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

^ Willie -- was the extra weight on the nose of the GT500 noticeable? I have talked to several who say it is. That in itself would probably be a reason for me to keep the GT.

However, if you plan to sell it, the GT500 will be worth a lot more than a modded GT. That being said Rob, since you have the GT already, you will take the hit regardless. So, if it drives very similar, is it really worth the extra money for the Shelby name and 6 speed?

Personally, I say mod the car to make it unique and your own so you enjoy it the most -- forget about names or authenticity of badges.
Old 3/28/08, 11:13 AM
GT Member

Hood's on and in primer. The louvers I am leaving off until I get it painted. I made some ugly covers for the holes for now.

Old 3/28/08, 12:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Guytonius,

That looks bad a$$ on a black car!
Old 3/28/08, 12:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Willie
I know this is off-topic so I won't continue after this reply.

.... The only guys trying to argue otherwise do not have one.

Not completely true. Rob, here's the flip-side. I own a Whippled '05 GT and an '08 GT500. I can swap cars as often as I want and here are my impressions:

Overall:
The '08 feels "tighter". But this may be only because it's new and the '05 has 34k miles. So no apples-to-apples comparison here.

Straight Line Performance:
You're gonna be in disbelief by what I say because the Whippled GT can easily pull away from my '08. Traction is an issue with both cars but the GT can break loose easier.

Was the '08 worth the $$$? Basically it's a Mustang with a powerhouse drivetrain and of course, suspension tweaks and unique body components. What I do like is the fact that this engine can produce massive amounts of power with only bolt-ons. For me, it's not worth a penny more than MSRP. Would I buy another one? Don't know. I'm on the fence. It's not that great a car, even for the $$$.

What I would do in a heartbeat is build another tribute like my '05 for several reasons:
1) Power is equivalent or greater than a stock / near stock GT500,
2) Appearance can be identical. Look at the pic and tell me which car this is. Hint: Both my cars have identical chrome rims.
3) Don't have to worry about it getting stolen every time you leave it in the Walmart parking lot and the consequences of dealing with the insurance company... well, at least as much as with a less expensive GT with Shelby parts.... &
4) Drive it as much as you want, unlike most Shelby owners who's cars are garage queens. The "fun factor" for a tribute can be greater than an authentic GT500.... Food for thought...

Willie
Willie,

I've heard you (or read you) saying this before. I'm interesed in discussing this further because I just found a GT500 well in my price range.........I wanna bend your ear a little before I jump off into this deal. I sent you a PM.
Old 3/28/08, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Guytonius, when your car is finished, please post a long list of pictures. Many of the appearance mods you have are ones I've considered or are considering and my car is black, so those pictures would give me a great idea of what mine will look like.

Even now, before complete, your car is very nice, by the way.
Old 3/28/08, 12:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I will guess that that is the clone....not the real GT500....*fingers crossed*

Quick Reply: TRUFIBER HOODS for Those with GT500 front Fascia!