05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/07, 06:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The grills look great, but I think the louvers look a lot better without the trim.
The following users liked this post:
Lair (9/17/20)
Old 4/29/07, 08:03 PM
J&D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
The grills look great, but I think the louvers look a lot better without the trim.
I am leaning towards painting the trim so that it matches the raised border of the old louver windows, just need a little time and money.
Old 4/29/07, 09:58 PM
Cobra R Member

That might be better. I'm waiting for someone to have their bodyshop blend them to the body. I'm curious on how that would come out.
Old 4/29/07, 10:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
J&D, curious here is the mesh we are seeing inside or out?
Old 4/30/07, 09:03 AM
J&D

Originally Posted by ShowGT
J&D, curious here is the mesh we are seeing inside or out?
The mesh in on the inside.
Old 4/30/07, 06:41 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That mesh looks sweet. You're giving me ideas...
Old 5/1/07, 08:05 PM

Roush Louver removal

I know it is in this thread somewhere but I am lazy, I have the Roush Louvers on the car now and getting ready to install the SHR ones. My question is " what is the safest way to remove the hold down brackets off of the car? It looks like 3m on the glass and the body around the glass. My concern is the paint...
Old 5/2/07, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 64ford
I know it is in this thread somewhere but I am lazy, I have the Roush Louvers on the car now and getting ready to install the SHR ones. My question is " what is the safest way to remove the hold down brackets off of the car? It looks like 3m on the glass and the body around the glass. My concern is the paint...
Go to an auto parts store, or I also have seen it at a Super Walmart, and get your self a can of 3M Adhesive remover. You will want to use a hair dryer to make the double sided tape 'loosen' up. You will then use a fishing line to 'saw' between the louver/bracket and the window/car. Once you have the louver/bracket off, start using the 3M adhesive remover. Be liberal, and use a soft cloth without too much pressure. Think of it this way, as the tape loosens and gets into the cloth, it will now make the cloth with the embedded tape like sand paper. And it will put fine scratches in the paint. People recommend Goo Gone, and I have used both that and the 3M adhesive remover, and hands down the 3M stuff works quicker and better.

-danny
Old 5/2/07, 08:40 AM
Legacy Tms Member

To be honest, I've never had much luck with the Goo Gone / Goof off stuff, I've always ended up using elbow grease and WD-40 with success when doing things like cleaning tire marks (marbles or donuts) off of the race car and things like that. I might have to give the 3M stuff a try, seeing as we use so much else from them and have success with it...

Ditto though on the line and everything else Danny said.
Old 5/2/07, 09:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 64ford
Aren't the Roush louvers also screwed on?
Old 5/2/07, 09:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I think they're screwed into the hold down brackets he's trying to remove ...
Old 5/2/07, 10:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Oh yeah. Wow. And to think, I just watched someone put them on. Well, I knew there were screws, darnit.

Just some heat a goo gone or wd40. That'll do the trick and leave your paint intact.
Old 5/3/07, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set of pre-paint torch red + the window kit + the sealant this morning. Any idea if I'll get this before the 25th? I really need them for a car show that's coming up.
Old 5/3/07, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
Best customer service/company ethics ever. You guys are the greatest.
I can't agree more. In a day and age when customer service has apparently gone out the window, Marcello (SilverHorseRacing) is the best I've had in a long long time, if not ever.

To: MC/SHR - Keep it up. We all appreciate it!
Old 5/3/07, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wayward
I can't agree more. In a day and age when customer service has apparently gone out the window, Marcello (SilverHorseRacing) is the best I've had in a long long time, if not ever.

To: MC/SHR - Keep it up. We all appreciate it!
....... ......
Old 5/7/07, 09:28 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks guys - update for anyone waiting for prepainted...

We have a bunch painted, I will be packing this weekend as I'm currently at a press conference for one of our sponsors. I'd let Lynn do them, but I like to go over them before they go out just to make sure. Jim doesn't do any shipping yet, so it's pretty much on me to take care of this for everyone when I get back.

Also, it has now happened twice in somewhere around 400 sets, so it's time to mention this again....

Louvers, like the glass they replace, NEED adhesion promoter to insure the urethane has an adequate "bite" and stays connected for a good, long life. I've personaly had these to over 120mph with windows down, and they have no issues, just like the factory glass, but it is important that the urethane bite properly, otherwise in both instances where there was an adhesion problem the urethane just "lets go" and the louver starts to break away clean, with no residue of the urethane on it. Nobody has lost a part yet, but that's why I'm trying to make it clear that this step is specified by both 3M and Ford for the OEM parts, and we do too for the replacements. Failure to do this, and you're taking a chance that they may suddenly, and without warning start to release. Like I said, nobody has lost a part, but you need to make sure this step is not skipped on install.

For what it's worth, one of the two sets that did this was re-installed properly, and now has been in since almost day one with no further issues. The other set is going to be re-done in the coming days, and I don't expect there to be any issues there either.

Again, not trying to scare anyone, just making sure you hit all the important steps to insure they last as long as we designed them for
Old 5/7/07, 09:38 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
dont forget your adhesion promoter...

well friday I found out why adhesion promoter is needed for lexan...I guess its not suggested, but REQUIRED heard a air leak on the way home friday(car sat in hot sun all day- was a oven inside) checked and rear 1/3 of passenger louver was loose, checked drivers side, front was loose...was fine at car wash couple days prior, expansion musta finally tugged them loose...managed to pull them out undamaged(stuck pretty tight rest of the way around, but peeled clean)...called local 3M dealers, no one stocks the 'one step primer/adhesion promoter'...so it was Marcello to the rescue once again

I had one of the first few installed sets(second or third I think), painted myself, installed at home in a barely warm garage, they held tight till a good hot day in the sun months later- just wanted to toss this out there- if you install yourself, you MUST use adhesion promoter...scuffing,wax/grease remover, laquer thinner, whatever might get it clean enough to paint, but the urethane needs more...I guess the primer does something extra to the surface that lets the urethane 'bite' so it will not peel off clean...live and learn. heard of another set that came loose within a week due to no promoter too. Learn from our mistakes and follow the directions- guess they are there for a reason
Anyone that had theirs installed, or will be- verify that promoter is used- if not you'll know sooner or later. press around a bit once in a while to keep tabs on the adhesion. with the promoter, this should never be an issue though.

one last tidbit- if you want the 'flush' look, I measured the setting blocks in mine tonight- they are .200 tall. I used the OEM rubber blocks that popped out intact when I cut the glass out, and cut into strips, stuck back on in the three corners...louvers sat nice and flush- hopefully they will again in a couple days

still hope to see Ford offering these as OEM option sometime soon, they look so 'right at home', they dont look like a modification, but more like an intended original part of the car...
Old 5/7/07, 09:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This picturw woul look great with a rope on each as pony well a hitching post.
Old 5/7/07, 09:42 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
hehe- musta been typing at the same time
Old 5/7/07, 10:03 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Yep... FYI guys - Tim's car is the one I was talking about - so this isn't three, this is the second set mentioned. I would've posted sooner, but was sick over the weekend, and am just getting caught up with things now.

Tim, your stuff did ship today though before I left, so you will have it this week. I would've been in NC sooner, but some guy in an old moonie turned his plane into a lawn dart and closed the airport I was leaving from for a few hours - no injuries, otherwise I wouldn't be joking about it now. (it's all fun until someone puts an eye out )

Also, as to the "fits so perfect" thing - I just finished watching Futurama - I think we should change our motto to what was said in the episode...

"When you do your job right, people really aren't sure if you did anything at all." I liked that a lot.

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass