05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/07, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The masking it one of the hardest and time consuming parts. Once that is done there minutes from paint.
I don't know SHR's order, but it just makes the most cense to do many of the same color when painting.
Sounds like there going about 100 MPH over at SHR, I commend them for there hard work.

Jay
Old 3/7/07, 05:36 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
wow- just noticed this thread hit 1000 replies already and only a half dozen or so sets have been installed...guess there must be just a little bit of interest in these
Old 3/7/07, 08:03 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, busy is an understatement... between training new help, production, shipping, etc... it's getting crazy around here! And we can only say THANK YOU to everyone who is helping to make it that way!!

As to color order - I am leaving that up to the painter. He did a bunch of black sets, but has to go over most of them because in the booth he couldn't see deep into the valley that he didn't cover the primer good on a few sets. On white that's not an issue, going over black primer it's easy to see where you miss... he's getting more lighting added to the booth to help this, and he's backing off to doing 5 sets at a time instead of 10 to help control quality better.

I think one of the blues is after the black, and then a red, not sure if he's doing Torch or Redfire first. We have another 800 sets of louvers ready tomorrow, and will resume shipping of unpainted ones on Friday, so only tomorrow there won't be any shipments of them - not a bad "down time" for a backorder - just one day

Someone asked prior, and Praztek I see you're asking - the masks will not only be available soon, but once we're happy with them coming off consistently, we will start including them in the packages most likely for customers at no additional charge if they don't get them pre-painted. They will be uninstalled and if you mess them up, yes, you will have to buy replacement sets. Truth be told though, the masks only help in production... in single set mode, I'd probably hand mask them just since you could really do a bang-up job taking your time, even if it takes 3-4 tries to get it laid out right prior to paint.
Old 3/7/07, 08:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
I think one of the blues is after the black, and then a red, not sure if he's doing Torch or Redfire first.
I vote for Torch Red
Old 3/7/07, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
I think one of the blues is after the black, and then a red, not sure if he's doing Torch or Redfire first
cmon lucky sonic blue
Old 3/8/07, 04:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Baby needs a new pair of windveil blue louvers!
Old 3/8/07, 05:50 AM
GT Member

Cool

I'm screeming for yellow
Old 3/8/07, 06:31 AM
V6 Member

Has any one tried installing by just smashing the glass from the inside with a ball pen hammer or auto center punch. I know it's a bit brutual but would it minimise the risk of damage to the paint?
Old 3/8/07, 07:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cati
Has any one tried installing by just smashing the glass from the inside with a ball pen hammer or auto center punch. I know it's a bit brutual but would it minimise the risk of damage to the paint?
There won't be any damage to the paint if you tape of a large section of the side panel. Remember, when you break glass, the shards go everywhere, and can slide down the side of the car, scratching it all up. If you want to do this method, I'd suggest getting an old bed sheet, taping it just below the window, and then breaking it. At least you will have protection from the glass pieces.
Old 3/8/07, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I had my right rear quarter glass replaced twice (factory install was bad)...and in both cases I had the installer smash the glass...(had it done twice because the installer didn't match the other side as far as how the window actually sits in the frame)...quickest way, especially if you don't plan on ever putting your windows back in...
Old 3/8/07, 10:00 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Vis-Ta Blue! Vis-Ta Blue! Vis-Ta Blue!

Can't wait to get the call for payment, I guess that's the sign they're about to ship.
Old 3/8/07, 10:18 AM
legacy Tms Member

another possible problem with breaking it out- if any pcs fall into one of the panel holes, it may rattle or at a minimum will roll around enough to start scratching off paint inside/possibly giving rust a headstart...my 65 rear glass popped, took forever to pick all the little pcs out- and I'm positive I didnt get them all...its like popcorn. my nephew shot my camaros window with a bbgun accidentally, was still finding pcs of glass years later every time cleaning it out. at a minimum tape the inside to hold the bulk of it together. the seal cutting tool is not that difficult, and if you have extra hands for the long reach to the last couple inches rearward, I'd say it would be 'easy'...just gotta be careful with the wire around the paint.
Old 3/8/07, 10:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I can feel it in my bones....windveil blue is next!!
Old 3/8/07, 02:46 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the help it just seemed much easier than farting about with a big cheese cuter and trying to pull half the interior out
Old 3/8/07, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Any change of looking into another painter? Seems that the current shop isn't quit set up for this type of mass production? If he's a friend, then I guess it’s entirely up to you on this decision. All of your other products have turned out awesome, so I don't expect anything less this time around. Thanks for the frequent updates and patience for all the inquiries.
Old 3/8/07, 07:59 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let me give my .02 from having some exposure to the business.
Marcello's doing the right thing by finding a shop who can do quality work at this price. Most shops would consider this kind of work a nusiance, it's tedious, and to find a shop who can do it well is worth the wait. Most shops are 'set up' to do insurance work and collisions. There's not too many strictly paint shops. Maaco does quite a lot of paint, but trust me, I wouldn't even want to park my car in their parking lot. A good Maaco is hard to find. Also, Marcello and any bodyshop knows that this initial volume of work is temporary. I appreciate him delivering them as soon as they're out of the booth. The alternative would be to hold up everyone's until they're all ready to go out the door. I took mine unpainted and had it done myself. I wish I'd have been patient enough to wait for the pre-paint. From the close-up's I've seen, the work from his shop is better than what most shops will be willing to invest the time to do. Doing them one color group at a time will make things faster for everyone so that the shop's painter isn't wasting hours a day cleaning out his gun and tinting small batches of paint to do one louver at a time.
So, forgive me - it looks like I threw out 3 cents instead of just 2. All's I'm really saying is that patience will pay off.
Old 3/9/07, 04:16 AM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Let me give my .02 from having some exposure to the business.
Marcello's doing the right thing by finding a shop who can do quality work at this price. Most shops would consider this kind of work a nusiance, it's tedious, and to find a shop who can do it well is worth the wait. Most shops are 'set up' to do insurance work and collisions. There's not too many strictly paint shops. Maaco does quite a lot of paint, but trust me, I wouldn't even want to park my car in their parking lot. A good Maaco is hard to find. Also, Marcello and any bodyshop knows that this initial volume of work is temporary. I appreciate him delivering them as soon as they're out of the booth. The alternative would be to hold up everyone's until they're all ready to go out the door. I took mine unpainted and had it done myself. I wish I'd have been patient enough to wait for the pre-paint. From the close-up's I've seen, the work from his shop is better than what most shops will be willing to invest the time to do. Doing them one color group at a time will make things faster for everyone so that the shop's painter isn't wasting hours a day cleaning out his gun and tinting small batches of paint to do one louver at a time.
So, forgive me - it looks like I threw out 3 cents instead of just 2. All's I'm really saying is that patience will pay off.
I agree 100%...DIY figure a couple hours masking time- what would a bodyshop charge for that alone? if buying paint for one set- better be sitting down - I think the primer cost 65 bucks alone and I know 1 pint of vistablue deltron basecoat was 55 bucks- forget catalyst/flex additives/clearcoat, etc that I had laying around...if the paint isnt quite perfect- your stuck with them unless you buy another set- Silverhorse inspects each set before shipping, so only the best go out, and quality only gets better with experience- the shop doing the production work will be much more adept at shooting/masking(even with a little touchup gun with tight fan pattern, blowing paint back into an inside square corner it aint easy to get uniform coverage- it aint like spraying a car). the prepaint price is a real bargain, I was just too impatient to wait...
Old 3/9/07, 05:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I agree , my paint shop about when I told them the prepainted price , it's a real bargain. It's just hard to see them on other cars and not mine
Old 3/9/07, 08:10 AM

So when are the black ones going to be ready for shipment again?

Thanks again for all the hard work.
Old 3/9/07, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Tim, I couldn't bear to watch the installer break the glass...however, he told me that he put plenty of tape on it and he broke it from the inside out...if that helps...I have yet to notice any rattling, etc., and there wasn't any sign of stray pieces of glass inside the vehicle...

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass