05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/07, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sodaman
So has anyone bit the bullet and tried these scott drake pieces on the new louvers by shr. I would love to see how the fit etc. Well if anyone takes the dive post some pics please.

http://www.partscheap.com/scottdrake05.htm
They are thin stamped aluminum held on by two-side tape. They fit like a glove.

Marcello did an excellent job making the louvers to match the glass because these pieces fit like they were made for it.

I'm having mine painted to match the louvers, once I decide how I want them painted
Old 3/28/07, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

As promised, pics, though not of a very clean car.

Attachment 22747

Attachment 22748

Attachment 22749
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dsc08596.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dsc08597.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dsc08598.jpg  
Old 3/28/07, 10:16 PM
GT Member

That's sweet looking!
Old 3/28/07, 11:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by redbullet
They are thin stamped aluminum held on by two-side tape. They fit like a glove.

Marcello did an excellent job making the louvers to match the glass because these pieces fit like they were made for it.

I'm having mine painted to match the louvers, once I decide how I want them painted

If you wouldnt mind could you take a pic of them not painted setting there or hold them up on it to take the pic, i as well as others I am sure would love to see them painted and unpainted. Thanks for any pics, that is what I am looking for to see what it looks like unpainted, then painted. Thanks
Old 3/29/07, 09:21 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I'll get to see mine today. FedEx says they're on the truck for delivery.

Now I've got to figure out where to get them installed.
Old 3/29/07, 10:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
Now I've got to figure out where to get them installed.
I thought that was what a driveway was for
Old 3/29/07, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Mine are installed. Pretty easy install.
I would make one adjustment to the instructions.
To make these sit flush - you need a pretty thick rope of sealant.

I thought I applied a pretty good amount of sealant. It wasn't enough and the drivers side are recessed some. Pass side I applied a thick rope and they are still recessed a bit. They still look GREAT and no complaints.
But if you want a flush look - apply a THICK AZZ bead of caulk. You will think it is too much, but it isn't.

Actually, I think recessed a bit is ok.

Just Curious, has anyone removed the louvers and re-applied more sealant for a flush loo? Was it just like removing the window or easier?

Pictures soon!
Old 3/29/07, 03:13 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey everyone - still working with the pre-painted ones for a few of you, more are coming back tomorrow. QC is a pain, but we're working through it to get everyone taken care of. I think we will all be happy when everyone has a good set and we're able to stock them rather than working from an eternal position of "behind the 8 ball."

On the removal - it's not as easy as the glass, but it can be done... you have to be careful with the wire because it can cut into the Lexan. Still though, it is designed thickness / shape / size to mimic the glass in mounting, so the slight recess is acceptable, but you can goop it up to go full flush-mount if you like.

As to the Shelby piece - I don't know if I mentioned it before, but it will fit on our part. That said, it doesn't match any other exterior molding on the car, unlike the original (1966) that had a lot of window trim like that, so other than to "break up" the color, I don't know that I'd use it personally. I did try it at FFW on our car, but it just didn't "work" with the white exterior.
Old 3/29/07, 07:04 PM
Cobra R Member

thanks for the comments marcello I would like to see the trim pieces painted to match maybe to finish off the flush look, plus my polished pieces from you, do they come close at all to the fuel door polished you have. If so they may tie into some exterior pieces from you. thanks for any more comments on the scott drake pieces.
Old 3/29/07, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sodaman
If you wouldnt mind could you take a pic of them not painted setting there or hold them up on it to take the pic, i as well as others I am sure would love to see them painted and unpainted. Thanks for any pics, that is what I am looking for to see what it looks like unpainted, then painted. Thanks
Don't have them painted yet. Here they are in unpainted form. If you are handy, you can photoshop them. This trim is just laying on the louver, it has not been attached.

Also a pic of an original to show that the lip around the louver was very small.

Old 3/29/07, 09:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Well I think I like them. If you add the foglight covers he has as well, plus the polished fuel door and rear medallion, they may blend well. I will still save my judgement to see them installed, and possibly painted to match the car etc. Thanks for the post up.
Old 3/29/07, 09:09 PM
GT Member

Cool

Marcello, I got mine and they are AWESOME!
Thank you.
Old 3/29/07, 10:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you're painting the silver part the same as the car and louver. Does the size of the silver trim actually cover the body any, or is it just to the edge of the louver/window?

-danny

Originally Posted by redbullet
Don't have them painted yet. Here they are in unpainted form. If you are handy, you can photoshop them. This trim is just laying on the louver, it has not been attached.

Also a pic of an original to show that the lip around the louver was very small.

Old 3/30/07, 06:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pegasusphototx
So you're painting the silver part the same as the car and louver. Does the size of the silver trim actually cover the body any, or is it just to the edge of the louver/window?

-danny
The louver and trim piece will be the same color as the car. The trim sticks to the louver. It does not contact any part of the surrounding opening.

It will help fill some of the gap and take out some of the illusion of the window not sitting properly.

You could also do it in a satin black to match the black around the door window. I wouldn't leave it silver.
Old 3/30/07, 07:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I received my louvers yesterday! Thanks! I installed last night... had a chance to drive the car this morning... :-( I have to redo the passenger side. I heard wind noise coming through. Hopefully the rain today won't leak too badly into the car. They look great though!

-danny
Old 3/30/07, 07:05 AM
GT Member

Here are some pics of mine after install.
I think they look great and do so much for the azz end of the car!
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-2.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-3.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-4.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-1.jpg  
Old 3/30/07, 07:22 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CDC's ducktail and the SHR louvers go great together.
Old 3/30/07, 08:57 AM

I think the Shelby window trim would give the louver a finished look.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
louver9.bmp (497.9 KB, 289 views)
Old 3/30/07, 11:00 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Got mine last night too, man do they look great! Now I've got to install them. The packaging was very well done, and I took pics unpacking them.
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-shr_1.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-shr_2.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-shr_3.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-shr_box.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-shr_wrap.jpg  

Old 3/30/07, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

BillR,

Neighbor, very nice!

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass