05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/07, 02:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found one of mine had a pretty large "tag" on it. I took a fine metal file to it to knock it down quick, then switched to 180 grit when I got closer down and then went around the whole thing with 1000 grit. I'm please with the results so far.
Old 2/22/07, 03:57 PM
V6 Member

Painting Question

For those of you who ordered yours unpainted, what type of paint are you using? What method?

I have contacted my local PPG auto paint & body supply distributor and they suggested a paint system from Mathews, a subsidary to PPG, and referred me to a local sign shop that has all these products in stock to prevent having to buy a gallon each of the alcohol cleaner and adhesive promotor that is recommended for painting the lexan.
Old 2/22/07, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So am I correct to assume that those of us getting them pre painted that this prep work will be done before paint?
Old 2/22/07, 06:24 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Goodness I hope so, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose of painting them. What kind of operation you think we're running here This ain't no Earl Scheib !!
Old 2/22/07, 06:27 PM
Cobra R Member

LOL, 99.95, any car, LOL, thats a good one marcello!
Old 2/22/07, 06:36 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Well, funny part was, they could actually lay down some paint...

Problem was, it tended to go all over everything, nothing got in the way of the paint... dirt, bird droppings, windows, it was all good.
Old 2/23/07, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Only one person in almost 100 orders has asked for the "full paint" option where there is no visibility,....
LOL..that tard would be me.
Old 2/23/07, 07:22 AM
Legacy Tms Member

There's nothing wrong with that - why say it like that? I actually thought it might be popular due to the comments initially, and at the lower price it should have worked for everyone. It's just now that the "visibility" pictures are out there for the world to see, everyone (almost) has gone that direction, and navigating options on a website can already be confusing enough, so we just decided not to put it there. People can always contact us for custom work, and we can then either say "yes we can" or "we can't, but here's how you can get it done."
Old 2/23/07, 04:35 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, they're painted! But not installed.

Here's my delimma. I took them to someone who I know is a very good painter, I've witnessed a lot of his work. He had a little difficulty getting a good mask line around the 'windows'. Don't get me wrong, they still look good, but I'm not sure if I want to put something on my car that I'm 99% thrilled with. That minute 1% bugs me - (could be that whole OCD thing ).

So, my question to you guys is - how's yours look? Is there a nice crisp line? I'm thinking about ways that I can cover up the 'seam'. Maybe I can go freehand with a paint pen around the window. Anyone got any other ideas? I don't want to put them in until they're 100% the way I want. Anyone got any other ideas?

Marcello, it was good to talk with you today. Thank you for your time, sir.
Old 2/23/07, 11:55 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
OK, they're painted! But not installed.

Here's my delimma. I took them to someone who I know is a very good painter, I've witnessed a lot of his work. He had a little difficulty getting a good mask line around the 'windows'. Don't get me wrong, they still look good, but I'm not sure if I want to put something on my car that I'm 99% thrilled with. That minute 1% bugs me - (could be that whole OCD thing ).

So, my question to you guys is - how's yours look? Is there a nice crisp line? I'm thinking about ways that I can cover up the 'seam'. Maybe I can go freehand with a paint pen around the window. Anyone got any other ideas? I don't want to put them in until they're 100% the way I want. Anyone got any other ideas?

Marcello, it was good to talk with you today. Thank you for your time, sir.
Ive got too shaky a hand to even think of trying myself, BUT- think a pinstripe guy could easily do a thin black pinstripe around it, and set it off more than even a clearcoated-smooth edge...just a thought.

the bad thing about masking a stripe or anything that wont be clearcoated, theres always gonna be the little ridge when the tape comes off...pinstriper the only way I can imagine to eliminate this- seen it on edges of stripes before as both accent color, and to cover the masking edge. I'd say put them in, and if you can really notice it (I'll probably leave mine alone-but I do need to wetsand/buff the clearcoat), take to a pinstriper- 'Denny-did-it' is often over at 'Winks' in Barberton friday/saturdays in the summer, striping cars right there...very impressive how he can lay those straight lines freehand...
Old 2/24/07, 06:13 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by ford4v429
Ive got too shaky a hand to even think of trying myself, BUT- think a pinstripe guy could easily do a thin black pinstripe around it, and set it off more than even a clearcoated-smooth edge...just a thought.

the bad thing about masking a stripe or anything that wont be clearcoated, theres always gonna be the little ridge when the tape comes off...pinstriper the only way I can imagine to eliminate this- seen it on edges of stripes before as both accent color, and to cover the masking edge. I'd say put them in, and if you can really notice it (I'll probably leave mine alone-but I do need to wetsand/buff the clearcoat), take to a pinstriper- 'Denny-did-it' is often over at 'Winks' in Barberton friday/saturdays in the summer, striping cars right there...very impressive how he can lay those straight lines freehand...
COOL, I didn't realize you were local! We'll definately have to get some pics of these two together sometime this spring! Maybe Portage Lakes? I like the pinstripe idea. That's kinda what I spent most of last night doing and it came out pretty well, I'll be putting the louvers on today.
Old 2/24/07, 11:09 AM
legacy Tms Member

COOL, I didn't realize you were local! We'll definately have to get some pics of these two together sometime this spring! Maybe Portage Lakes? I like the pinstripe idea. That's kinda what I spent most of last night doing and it came out pretty well, I'll be putting the louvers on today.
Cool! cant wait to see pics with the pinstripes...Might sway me that way also
Old 2/24/07, 11:35 AM
I lust for a M24

I didn't actually pinstripe it, just used a brush to smooth out some of the rougher spots. It's in the driveway drying now! Pics should be up in a few hours after a quick wash.
Old 2/24/07, 11:37 AM
I lust for a M24

FOR SALE: Stock 2005-2007 Mustang Quarter Window Glass!
Old 2/24/07, 01:01 PM
legacy Tms Member

I didn't actually pinstripe it, just used a brush to smooth out some of the rougher spots. It's in the driveway drying now! Pics should be up in a few hours after a quick wash.
be sure to check for leaks

so now that thier in, whatta you think after that first look? Do they look better than the pics youve seen so far?

I still need to wash mine bad...all smudgy from handprints, etc...maybe I'll leak test mine today, get it washed and buff the louvers out a bit...thinking I'll need to remask them before rubbing outthe paint, fun...
Old 2/24/07, 01:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
more, more, more!
Old 2/25/07, 10:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Any updates on the painted versions. I have yet to get my call on payment. I just cant wait much longer, these things look unbelievably good. Awesome work Marcello.
Old 2/25/07, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Marcello,

I know this is off topic but I was wandering if SHR had any sort of a timeline for your taillight trim/bezels? Or has this idea been scratched? I have the honeycomb panel and would like to wait for your trim/bezels, but I am really needing something back there.
Old 2/25/07, 03:21 PM
I lust for a M24

Well, I'm going to try to post a pic - I've got a bunch more, but my stupid freakin' HP computer (never buying another one) is giving me some problems. On a brighter note, here's the pic :
Old 2/25/07, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Man these pics are killing me! I can't wait to get a phone call. How's the pre-paint coming Marcello?

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass