05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/06, 12:51 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well yes, that is close to the gold car photoshop, and is the direction we are headed in. Although to solve the visibility issue, some concessions will be made to the cutback area of the vent.
Old 5/17/06, 12:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE! Forget about the Visibility! Wouldn't that give you more time to concentrate on the design!?!? That would be so nice....
Old 5/19/06, 08:32 AM
GT Member

Marcello,

Are you planning on making these louvers completely flush with the body so they don't stick out at all (like the silver ones in your post #64) or mostly recessed where they protrude from the body about a 1/4 inch or less (like the black ones in post #64)? I think it would be better to make them protrude a small amount so that you can square them off more like the black or gold ones you posted. If you set them up that way, only parts of the slats that protrued into the body need to fit within the rounded window hole and you can probably achieve the styling that most people seem to be asking for (the more agressive looking squared off style of the black and gold cars). I'm assuming that this is what you were going for, but just wanted confirmation. I'm just afraid that if you release something like the silver ones, that they won't sell as well.

I hope this helps.

-TRB
Old 5/19/06, 09:01 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree.
Old 5/19/06, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I concur.
Old 5/19/06, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I concur that I'd be interested in buying either style
Old 5/19/06, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

I wouldn't care for the rounded style, but defenitely for the more square one, that would look FAR BETTER!
Old 5/19/06, 07:00 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Hmmm,

The easiest way to answer the question posed TRB is that we are going for as close a look to the gold car as possible, while staying within the design constraints of the factory opening. The problem with the silver SEMA piece is that there are only four vents, and they are "flattened" to make the vents smaller and the painted section larger. I never liked the look of that piece, and that's why I stated even a few months ago we were going to do the piece - I didn't see one on the market I felt was doing it "right".

Trust me, you're going to like what you see. One of my goals though when designing a piece though for our cars is that it should appear to the casual observer that it belongs on the car, hence the level of detail I went after with the Honeycomb panel, making sure the fit and finish were 100% and matching to the OEM pieces for proper effect.

With the flush fit I am describing, I think we can achieve an aerodynamically and asthetically smooth surface - matching the arcs that are in the window and body, while at the same time giving the appearance of the agressive look everyone is after. You'd be surprised at the details nobody even sees on the honeycomb panel that allow it to fit the compound arcs that exist on the trunk while at the same time having the "flat" honeycomb on the top surface.

Anyway, I'm back from our show with our sponsors, and so I'll be in touch with the mold shop either over the weekend or first thing next week to see where we are at with it. Just remember though, we're still talking the end of summer before production pieces are ready, and that is saying everything goes well. Knowing what I know from the Honeycomb development, this should be a realistic goal this time around (Last time it just wasn't going to happen, too many hurdles that had to be resolved that we didn't even foresee or plan for.)

Feel better about it now?

Geeze - I wish I could post pictures of our solid modeling drawings....
Old 5/19/06, 07:24 PM

Wow, glad I came across this thead!

I'm very interested buyer in the final product, and already saving up for em in the future.

If you keep em as close to the gold car as possible, you got a buyer here instantly!

Keep up the great work Marcello!

-Ryan
Old 5/19/06, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just let us know when we can pre-order
Old 5/20/06, 06:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the new update Marcello. I can't wait to see some pics of sketches. I NEED these on my car.
Old 5/20/06, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

This would get my vote:
Old 5/20/06, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

that is very nice
Old 5/20/06, 01:40 PM

After reading this thread, I'm definitely interested as well.
For a while I've been looking for some nice looking louvers and the ones you guys are talking about seem perfect. I have a question though. Are these going to be actually functional with the air flow? I know it's been answered before but I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Also, I agree with most as well, I rarely ever use the back windows for driving.
The side mirrors are my friends =D
Old 5/20/06, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm definitely waiting for this...

Mike E
Old 5/22/06, 06:48 AM
Cobra Member

No Air flow is my understanding.. if it was, how would you stop the rain coming in? we are not driving race cars on the streets, so I don't think there's air flow as part of this design... Marcello can shed more light on this..
Old 5/23/06, 11:05 AM
Legacy Tms Member

No air flow - for now.

We have a plan to make airflow possible, but it is not being considered for production at this time.

The original cars needed functional vents there since A/C was relatively new, not many cars had it, and open air driving for a car like this was more the norm. Now if you wanted to make them flow air, it could be done for a race car, to reduce pressure build-up, but then like stated, it would get wet. Making them functional and able to seal like the original would add a lot of cost to the product, and probably make it too expensive for the average buyer.

You're talking about 5-10 pieces instead of 2 (more money), and adding electric motors, controls (lots more money), and wiring / installing it all to make it easy to use when driving (more time) - after all, who'd want to have to reach back and open and close these things?

So while I like the concept of functional vents, the reality of the project going that direction is not nearly as fun.

That help?

Oh, BTW - Update - I've been sick as a dog for about two weeks, and just keep getting hit with something else every time I feel a little better, keeping me pretty down. That said, there is progress on the parts, as it is "out of my hands" at the moment - I just have to write the checks you know... which I can do from bed if needed. We are advancing to the second round of CAD drawings, once laser scanning of the factory pieces is complete. They are off for that now, so maybe by the end of the week that data will be ready.
Old 5/23/06, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

My levels of anxiety can't possibly be healthy... they couldn't be!

When do you think we'll be able to have a peak at it? When you are ready to produce the pieces?
Old 5/23/06, 11:44 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Like I stated earlier, if everything goes on schedule, you're really talking end of summer for production. If we hit bumps in the road, it could go a little longer. But now that money is on the table and committed to it, it will be moving forward.

As to the anxiety - maybe that's what's been trying to kill me lately...

As to the peak - let me work on it for a few minutes and see if I can do a screen capture...
Old 5/23/06, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Ooooh, a screen capture. I shall be hitting the refresh button on my browser continuously until I get a peak at this design. Yes, this anxiety is a killer.

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass